Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sitting in the hospital right now  (Read 15851 times)

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
Re: Sitting in the hospital right now
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2007, 12:46:09 pm »
I agree with saint, I have three myself.

Back to my last comment and the little firestorm that grew out of it.  My comment was of the 'glass-half-full' type.  Each day she is in-utero the better off she will be.  I remember that you were just hoping to reach 35 weeks and here you are past that.  My middle child was born at 38 weeks and she is healthy as a horse and happy as a clam. 

Keep looking up Sharidian. :cheers:

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2007, 12:51:04 pm »
So, in a way it sucks to lose friends and family, but the return of knowing who you can count on when the chips are down I think will pay off in the long run.

That is important.  Very, very important.  During emergencies I've also run into a third category... people who care but cannot be counted on to do anything and/or actually make things worse when they try.  In the days after my wife's car accident I actually ran into a lot more of those than I did either of the other types ("doesn't actually care" or "can be counted on no matter what").

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2007, 12:51:37 pm »
Case in point, one of my favorite stories to tell. My then 5(?) year old son was in bed, we were all asleep, when I hear him calling. I get up to check on him, and he feels sick. I go to pick him up and tell him it'll be OK. I'm on the "O" portion of OK, holding him facing me, when he throws up. Blammo. All over me. Onto my face. Into my open mouth. Mmmmmmmm someone else's vomit in my mouth.

. . .

OK, I can deal. It's just a bit of barf, it won't kill me. Side note - someone else's barf tastes just like your own. OK - I hold him to me since we're both icky, figure I'll just hop us both in the shower. Pressing him to me so we don't drip because amazingly it's all contained on me and him. Don't want to wake anyone up, so here we go. I take one step.

BARFO #2! All over me and him. It's warm and pooling over my belly where I'm holding him to me. Kind of chilly on the fringes where the first heave is starting to cool.

OK. I'm an adult. I can deal. Comfort my child, dash to the shower and don't worry about the dripping, clean it up later. I take step #2.

BARFO #3! All over me.

Some things are more than mortal man can handle by himself. I realized it was time to call upon a higher power. I yelled and woke up my wife. She stumbles in bleary eyed to see what's the matter, and sees me holding my son with both of us dripping with barf. She takes him, I shuffle to the shower trying not to drip everywhere.

Did I mention I still had the taste of barf in my mouth?

By the time I get out magically things have been resolved and cleaned up.

Good times, good times. One of my favorite war stories actually :) 

Wouldn't trade my kids for the world, non parents just don't understand such things.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 12:56:22 pm by saint »
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

mr.Curmudgeon

• It's going to hurt your brain. A lot.
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2021, 07:15:49 pm
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2007, 12:58:21 pm »
non parents just don't understand such things.

Exactly. As a non-parent myself, let's just say I'm happy everyone in my house keeps their puke to themselves.   :-X

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2007, 01:00:00 pm »
I could have done with out that story just before lunch Saint.  :lame:  We all have war stories like that one but it will be hard to beat.

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2007, 01:05:44 pm »
So there was the time we were out at a Mexican restaurant with my first child, age 1 year maybe? Wife and I are eating across from each other, baby is in a high-chair at the end of the table next to both of us. We're feeding her bits of soft tortilla while we eat.

Suddenly she gets this horrible look on her face, and I just know she's going to barf.

What's a dad to do? You don't want your child making a mess on herself or the table, right?

So instinctively I stuck my cupped hand under her mouth, and sure enough she barfs up. Into my hand. Which I put there. I don't know why.

And so here I am.

In a restaurant.

Holding a handful of warm gooey barf.

Bits of tortilla floating around like some bizarro soup.

Um....

Now what do I do?

Good times!

--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2007, 01:06:24 pm »
There are a lot of parents who would just view that as a terrible night where they didn't get any sleep, their shirt got ruined, and the kid was a pain in the ass again.

Any present parent has been through exactly that story.  Most have a few times.  I find that it's not nearly as bad as it sounds because I don't give a crap about the rug, the shirt, or the sleep.  The only thing that matters is making sure the child is taken care of and put back in the right direction.  Once that is done, you can go clean up all of the irrelevant items and go back to check on the hopefully sleeping kid.  Your concern as a father is so strongly for the plight of the child that nothing else matters.  Too many people aren't capable of that.

I remember the period having a wife in bed with a fractured pelvis/neck, taking full care of her (she couldn't do anything for a while), a 3 year old with dozens of wide and deep lacerations that needed to be cleaned up 3-4 times/day to prevent infection and minimize scarring, and a 6 month old baby (that wasn't involved in the accident).  Sleeping on the floor because we didn't have a couch yet and my wife had to be alone in the bed, getting zero sleep/food and basically spending every waking minute of 23 hours daily taking care of the three of them.  It never bothered me one bit because every time I started to get down I'd consider that the only alternative would be having lost two of them.  And that alternative was unthinkable no matter what I myself had been through in the process.

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2007, 01:14:18 pm »
Saint-

What is with all the BARF stories? You are probably freaking Sherdian out man!!

;D

Note: OTOH you may experience these types of things Sherdian...Now don't say we didn't warn you.
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2007, 01:30:38 pm »
Naw DK he is just making the rest of is mimic his kids. :laugh2:

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2007, 02:04:52 pm »
So, in a way it sucks to lose friends and family, but the return of knowing who you can count on when the chips are down I think will pay off in the long run.

During emergencies I've also run into a third category... people who care but cannot be counted on to do anything and/or actually make things worse when they try.

I just toss those in with those who don't care. If you care, you can always find a way to be of use.

Oh and saint, thanks for the barf stories. Good stuff. I'm kinda hungry now. Is that a coincidence, or does that make me weird? :laugh2:

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2007, 02:23:31 pm »
:edit: apparently winkflash doesn't like image linking.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 04:09:39 pm by shardian »

boykster

• This thread makes my brain hurt worse than Vogon poetry....
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2021, 12:13:15 am
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2007, 03:04:58 pm »
congrats!

:cheers:

somunny

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2018, 02:22:25 pm
  • Is it hot in here?
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2007, 03:25:28 pm »
Did I miss the post where the baby was delivered?  It seems the time came a couple of weeks earlier than expected.  Cute lil' guy.  :)

I'll be sending good vibes your way.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2007, 03:32:39 pm »
Sorry about that.
I discussed earlier in the thread that we had a baby born premature last April. He was only 23 weeks along and weighed 1lb 4oz. He lived for 25 days. Those are pictures of him.

somunny

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2018, 02:22:25 pm
  • Is it hot in here?
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2007, 05:28:44 pm »
I don't have any personal experiences that I can relate to what that must have been like for you.  My wife is 30 weeks along now and everyday I'm thankful we've made it this far.

Crax

• Hmm......maybe you should get that test still
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2022, 04:11:41 pm
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2007, 05:50:20 pm »
Congrats on the forthcoming baby.  I have my second(a girl, first was a son) due at the end of Feb.  I was definitely scared to be a parent the first time and am a little worried about having 2 at the same time, but being a father is one of the best things in the world. 

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2007, 06:33:30 pm »
Sorry about that.
I discussed earlier in the thread that we had a baby born premature last April. He was only 23 weeks along and weighed 1lb 4oz. He lived for 25 days. Those are pictures of him.

He's a beautiful child and I feel lucky that you shared those with us.

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2007, 08:47:14 pm »
Sorry about that.

He's a beautiful child and I feel lucky that you shared those with us.

...and is now of course in a better place than planet Earth.  :angel:

Thanks Sherdian. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

Trin/7dawn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2007, 12:03:54 am
  • If I got smart with you, how would you know?
« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2007, 10:58:31 am »
I will be praying for your wife and your unborn child. I had both of mine early, one a month early, the other 2 months early. The second child spent one month in the hospital and was on a monitor for two years because he would forget to breathe.
Are you being intentionally thick?

A liberal man is too broadminded to take his own side of a quarrel. Robert Frost

And your point is?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2007, 11:02:29 am »

Was it obstructive or centrally based (brain signals)?

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2007, 01:31:30 pm »

Was it obstructive or centrally based (brain signals)?

Apnea spells in preemies are a developmental thing. Their bodily systems are nowhere near being done deveoping when they are born. The majority of preemies are sent home with a monitor. That monitor also checks for Bradycardia - the slowing of the heart.I guess you could associate it with brain since the problems usually occur while they are asleep, but there are also physical reasons. The lungs are underdeveloped at birth. The different ventilators they are put on cause permanent lung scarring. That is the main problem. While they are small children, the scar tissue takes up alot of space - hence they tend get tire easily (breathing is HARD for a preemie) and have asthma. Once the child matures, that scar tissue only takes up a small percentage of their adult lungs.
I got so used to alarms going off for apnea and brady's for all the babies in the hospital that I tuned them out, which I'm sure is what alot of preemie parents are afraid of doing with their home monitors.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2007, 01:44:51 pm »

That's where the forum comes in.  Hook that sucker to an air horn so if you don't hear it the people down the street do.

Trin/7dawn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2007, 12:03:54 am
  • If I got smart with you, how would you know?
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2007, 01:59:16 pm »
They did not say, his brain stem was not fully developed, so he would basically forget to breath. I could not tune that thing out! Holy cow, it was really loud! Usually scared him awake, we never had to perform CPR. It also make a horrendous noise when his heart would go up above 220 bpm. That only happened once. Evidently the cough medicine he was on caused him to speed.

I spent 2 hours in the wee hours of the morning watching him bounce non-stop in his Johnny Jump-up. He finally went to sleep and my other son decided he needed to get up.
Are you being intentionally thick?

A liberal man is too broadminded to take his own side of a quarrel. Robert Frost

And your point is?

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2007, 12:46:06 am »
My baby is just shy of six months now.  Already I cannot say how many times I've been thrown up on.  Although since her diet consists of breast milk exclusively it's not quite as nasty as Saint's experience.

It's loads of fun, though.  Especially now that she's really gaining new abilities quickly.  It's devastating to my wife.  She thinks that she's developing way too fast (as in, she's before long she's not going to be the sweet, helpless infant she is now), but I'm eating it up.  My wife loves infants, but it's about 3 - 8 years old that I can't get enough of.  I can't wait to rough house and so on.

BTW, for those in the thread who have a tyke on the way, pick up a copy of Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems by Richard Ferber.  That book is made of magic dust.  My wife and I were chronically sleep deprived up until a month ago.  Maddy would generally sleep 4 hours, wake up and scream and not fall back asleep easily, then it would be every one - two hours for the rest of the night.  Every night.  Every.  Single.  Night.  So I researched the major theories out there and the Ferber method struck me as the most sensible, so I bought the book and gave it to my wife as a stocking stuffer.  We started the system the following morning and that night was unusually good for her.  She slept almost six hours, woke up once, and then slept the rest of the night.  The following night she slept for ten hours, uninterrupted.  Never made a peep.  I woke up at 4:30 in the morning for no reason and had a pang of anxiety.  I had to go check on her to make sure she was breathing.  She has been a wonderful sleeper ever since (except last week when she had a cold).

I'm telling you, the book is made of magic. 
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2007, 04:14:06 pm »
We just can't catch a break!
We were scheduled for c-section this Friday, we go in for weekly checkup today and the baby's heart rate is too fast. Doctor wanted to go ahead and do a c-section but Michelle had already taken her blood thinner shot this morning. We get to the hospital and they find she has the beginning of a kidney infection, which is why baby's and mommies hearts are pumping like they are running a marathon. The doctor said this is the kind that can kill pregant women if not treated in time. That's nice, isn't it. Anyways, they said it is early on so they will give antibiotics for a few days then go ahead with the scheduled c-section on friday.
 :dizzy:

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2007, 04:15:10 pm »

Ow.  We're pulling for them.

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2007, 04:22:07 pm »
Ditto on Chad's comment.  Sounds like they caught the infection in time for treatment to do it's thing.  Looking froward to new baby pics next week.  ;D :pics

pointdablame

• I think Drew is behind this conspiracy...
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2023, 09:11:07 pm
  • Saint and Woogie let me back in!
« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2007, 04:50:16 pm »

Ow.  We're pulling for them.

absolutely.  You're family will be in my thoughts.  Stay positive.
first off your and idiot

Man I love the internet, haha.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: February 06, 2007, 08:46:16 am »
Thank god for decent insurance right about now...

EDIT:  removing inadvertent threadcrapping.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 09:31:26 am by ChadTower »

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2007, 09:13:56 am »
Shadian: You're in our thoughts ...looking forward to baby pics.

Chad: WTF ? Perhaps you can troll in P&R.

Cheers
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2007, 09:17:14 am »
EDIT:  removing inadvertent threadcrapping.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 09:31:42 am by ChadTower »

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2007, 09:19:15 am »
Chad: WTF ? Perhaps you can troll in P&R.
I'm not trolling... if you've ever had to go through something like that in a Canadian hospital, you'd understand.  You're right in that that is for another thread, though, so my bad.

Uh ... I have ...
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

fredster

• Grand Prophet of Arcadeology
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2019, 04:28:53 pm
  • It's all good!
« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2007, 10:22:34 am »
Any Updates?
King of the Flying Monkeys from the Dark Side

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2007, 02:51:48 pm »
They let her go home just a little bit ago. At first this morning, they were not letting her eat and were saying she would be delivered today. Next thing, they come in and say go home for two days. Who knows...

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2018, 11:56:39 am
  • There's supposed to be an earth shattering KaBoom!
« Reply #114 on: February 08, 2007, 01:12:21 pm »
Man, you guys have gone through such an emotional roller coaster with this baby it boggles the mind! 

Maybe you should name her Miracle!  ;D

Seriously tho, I am hoping for the best for you all. Hang in there man!

fredster

• Offline Offline
  • It's all good!
« Reply #115 on: February 08, 2007, 01:48:10 pm »
shardian, how are you all holding up?

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: February 08, 2007, 01:54:07 pm »
Well, anxiety is hitting me now. I am about to go throw up right now as I write this. ;D
I just want this to be over so we can start the next journey. Hopefully we can live drama free for a little while. I've about ran out of optimism though. Now my mind is filled with all the things I expect will go wrong tommorrow.

Hopefully I'll be back on here with some pictures in the next few days.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: February 08, 2007, 01:56:06 pm »

I've faced down some pretty effin scary things in my life but none was nearly as terrifying as the anxiety over what could go wrong while my wife was in labor the first time.  Wow that was scary ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.  I could have written country songs about it if I had a dog and a truck.

fredster

• Offline Offline
  • It's all good!
« Reply #118 on: February 08, 2007, 02:20:50 pm »
There isn't any sense in dreading something that may not happen.  I have been in your shoes (not exactly the same situation, but similar).  It won't help much to feed the anxiety beast.

You have done all you can and you have a good group you are working with. 

I suggest you two spend as much time together as possible and enjoy your time, every second. It was the only thing that helped us.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: February 08, 2007, 02:26:50 pm »

And no matter what the nurses tell you, don't forget that all their base are belong to you.  Be sure they take off every Zig.  For Great Justice.