Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade Renovations sideart (Centipede)  (Read 18299 times)

Carsten Carlos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2014, 05:06:25 am
  • Projects: Centipede extended, Asteroids
    • Carlos' Centipede-extended
Arcade Renovations sideart (Centipede)
« on: March 30, 2003, 04:41:18 am »
Has anyone here ever ordered one of their sidearts? As far as I read from their website they seem to have good quality - and the Centipede sideart is for $100 not that expensive, assuming this is the price for a pair!

How do you apply this really big art anyway? I can't lay the cab on it's side, it got much to heavy for this!  :o

kspiff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2016, 09:15:36 pm
  • Love of the game, baby.. love of the game..
Re:Arcade Renovations sideart (Centipede)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2003, 08:04:43 am »
I don't know if the art is exactly the same as original sideart, but I doubt it is much worse -- real sideart is actually pretty flimsy stuff :-\

I also recall the Arcade Renovations people being very finnicky about the quality of their reproductions -- color matching, clarity, positioning, etc. seem to be a big deal with them..

Did you try just sending them an e-mail asking for some close-up pics of an installed set..?

Damn, it sure seems like a lot of people are getting Centipedes to MAME lately.. I hope it was broken first ;)
k-spiff

pocketz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2004, 10:42:03 pm
  • INSERT COINS
    • arcade addiction
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2003, 10:54:17 am »
i ordered a set of q*bert side art from them awhile back and it was super premo excellent quality.

clean the side of your cabinet really good(windex then a little bit of contact cleaner) and be very careful when applying the sticker. i would start from the top, peel a small amount of the backing off to start the application then peel it back more as you go down. this way you dont have the whole sticker exposed which can be awkward. make sure to press the sticker on firmly and squeeze out any air bubbles as you go down.

i also bought a double donkey kong marquee(silk screened plexi) from them to hang on the wall and it was also super premo quality good  :D

-pocketz

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2003, 11:00:50 am »
Damn, it sure seems like a lot of people are getting Centipedes to MAME lately.. I hope it was broken first  

My hands are clean - I rebuild a Centipede from scratch, no real Centipede-cabinets were harmed!  :)

Larry Smith

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 01, 2004, 07:27:11 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2003, 12:21:30 pm »
Currently out of stock. I hope they print some more soon, I have been waiting since Febuary.

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2003, 12:31:10 pm »
Yep - damn, they had the best price! Should I order them for $125? (+$37 shipping to germany :( )

Here they are still available:

http://www.arcadeshop.com/

Larry Smith

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 01, 2004, 07:27:11 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2003, 03:16:55 pm »
I've considered them, does anyone knw about their quality? They recently lowered the price from $145.

Magnet_Eye

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2020, 09:26:19 pm
  • Feel the heat?
    • Web Hosting deals for BYOAC Users!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2003, 09:58:06 pm »
i see this stuff on eBay all the time. here is Centipede:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3216513113&category=13718

it includes marquee, monitor bezel, CP overlay and sideart for $199.

Also check their other items for sale.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2003, 10:00:41 pm by Magnet_Eye »
I offer discounted WEB HOSTING to BYOAC members! Only $2.49 a month for a FULL FEATURED account! www.cloud9media.com

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2003, 10:12:17 pm »
i see this stuff on eBay all the time. here is Centipede:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3216513113&category=13718

it includes marquee, monitor bezel, CP overlay and sideart for $199.

Also check their other items for sale.

This is the same seller as eBay user ID "pinsetc" and www.arcadegrafix.com.  You might want to check this out if you are planning on buying.

Sasquatch!

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2010, 04:11:47 pm
  • Toot-Toot!
    • Arcade Paradise
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2003, 12:55:06 am »
This is the same seller as eBay user ID "pinsetc" and www.arcadegrafix.com.  You might want to check this out if you are planning on buying.
UH-OH SPAGHETTIOS!  

Everyone on agvac blasts this guy, but his eBay rating is really good.  Craziness, I tell you.

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2003, 02:01:05 am »
Arcadegrafix / auctionworks is so bad that it was even mentioned in a german arcadeforum -at least they are worldwide popular!  :D
However, I had a bad feeling about them since I saw there very strange website-grafix, somehow it does look like a bad 16color-windows-screenshot.

I have a good feeling about the quality of arcadeshop.com, but like Larry I'd like to get this confirmed, as I have no chance to return it.

android

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2006, 09:44:47 am
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2003, 11:14:20 am »
FWIW, arcaderenovations.com and arcadeshop.com are some of the few places that offer silk-screened (not jet printed) side art. I am the proud owner of a Centipede sideart set from arcaderenovations and the quality is absolutely incredible. Have no experience with arcadeshop.com, but should be similar. Never heard anything bad about either.

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2003, 04:39:29 pm »
I placed an order a few hours ago!  :D

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2003, 06:54:11 pm »
I seem to remember a fiasco a while back about the Arcadeshop vs. Arcade Renovations Centipede side art on RGVAC, a Google search should turn up some hits.  I don't remember the exact details, but it had something to do with AR's Centipede artwork had some flaws, or was crooked, or something like that...  I remember that Arcadeshop had a remark on their page like Our's aren't crooked like the other guys, or something along those lines.  Needless to say, that sparked some interesting discussions on RGVAC.

I'm sure AR's sideart is fixed now, but just knowing that there may be previous versions of it out there floating around (possibly on eBay) that is flawed, or crooked, or whatever would make me a bit leary of purchasing that particular piece from an "unknown" source, especially if you invest that much $$ on it.

Of course this is all moot now that have already ordered it, but I'm sure you be completely satisified with ArcadeShop's sideart.  I've heard that their Centipede side art is the best one you can buy.  You'll have to give us your opinion (and some pics!) of it when you receive it.

android

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2003, 12:52:59 am »
I seem to remember a fiasco a while back about the Arcadeshop vs. Arcade Renovations Centipede side art on RGVAC...  I remember that Arcadeshop had a remark on their page like Our's aren't crooked like the other guys, or something along those lines.

It figures. I read some time ago that ArcadeShop and ArcadeRenovations were partners at some point and then split. Or something like that. In a nutshell, the consensus in RGVAC forums is that these two guys along with twobit are the best around.

-- Android

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2003, 01:33:11 am »
You'll have to give us your opinion (and some pics!) of it when you receive it.
I sure will!  :D

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2003, 04:29:06 pm »
Hi folks!

My Centipede-sideart arrived today! Really fast, and luckily without paying any taxes though shipped overseas!

I haven't applied it yet - I'll wait for a friend to help me. There is still the protection-paper over it, but from what I can tell so far it looks good.

What I really wonder - it seems that there is no shape cut?  ???
So shall I cut the outlines of this big worm before I applied it, do I miss something, or is this art supposed to cover the whole side, so I only cut the overstanding edges?

If its the last one, than I sure have a problem. To fit bigger controlpanels, I made two slightly changes to the original Centipede-design -the controlpanel is a few inch deeper, and the marquee-area also (so you don't see the extended controlpanel-area at first sideview).
Anyway, I guess there are easier things to cut out than these big beautfiful worm?  ???

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2003, 09:36:36 pm »
Congrats on picking up the sideart duty-free!  You gotta love that!   ;D

I would definitely recommend you send a quick email to ArcadeShop for a few pointers on installing and trimming the sideart because you certainly wouldn't want to risk messing up that beautiful piece of work.  I thought the Centipede sideart was die cut to the correct shape, but apparently I am mistaken if it is just a big sheet.

Brax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2003, 09:44:21 pm »
In the worst case scenario you'll just have to trace a 1/4" border around the outline and use that as your trim line.

Great work, you're going to have a beautiful cabinet.
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

android

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2003, 11:00:42 pm »
Congratulations! Isn't that a beauty? told you so... Look for installation instructions in the Arcade renovations site. The way to apply it is to cover the whole side of the cabinet with the side art and then trim around the cab edges. If I recall correctly, the side art itself has some alignment marks to make your job easier. Of course this is for original-sized cabs. If you modified the original measurements, then your cab may be too wide/tall for the art and you may have to cut around the worm instead. The good news is that since your cab is laminated white it will look good either way.

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2003, 08:49:36 am »
Isn't that a beauty?
Arrgh, I felt in love with a worm!  ;D

Mailed to Arcadeshop last night - he is sure the quickest answering man you ever can imagine, every mail came back answered in one minute!  :o

The art is supposed to cover the whole cabinet, as Android said. Well, as mine is a bit bigger, I've two options:

-Make patchwork for the two missing corners (controlpanel and marquee-area) - guess there is enough material left after triming).
-Cut around the worm and then apply it.

I'm not sure if I'd be able to cut the whole worm without making any mistakes, so I guess I'll take the first option - would be a little glitch in the cab though, but I guess there'll always be a little mistake in your work.

Well, quite not sure how to do it!  ???

@Android
I've seen the document you talked of earlier, but can't find it anymore. Have you saved it somewhere?

Wade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2023, 08:30:51 pm
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2003, 02:55:49 pm »
I'd trim about a 1/4" border around the worm and apply it that way.  Having a seam or two on the side of your cabinet wouldn't do that image justice, IMO.

Wade

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2003, 05:06:11 pm »
Hm, I'll make a drawing and try out some possibilities. Maybe I just would trim about the half to the front, and cover the whole back. So I've at least a half chance to make some bad cuts.  ;)

I could imagine that this would look okay - I'll have a close look how much paper actual is missing.

Brax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2003, 07:00:39 pm »
Hm, I'll make a drawing and try out some possibilities. Maybe I just would trim about the half to the front, and cover the whole back. So I've at least a half chance to make some bad cuts.  ;)

I could imagine that this would look okay - I'll have a close look how much paper actual is missing.
You definitely, definitely, DEFINITELY want to cut 1/4" all the way around the image. You've paid alot for that beautiful artwork and put alot of sweat into the cabinet. Don't cheap out now.

Go to a drafting or art supply store and buy yourself a french curve. It has tons of varying curves to help you trace around your worm. Once you have a uniform 1/4" border all around your image I'd just cut it out carefully with scissors. If you supply me the ticket to Germany I'd be happy to do it for you!  ;D I'll even guarantee a perfect job! hehe

Here's an example of a bunch:
http://www.reuels.com/reuels/page428.html

They also have flexible curves........ Basically a wire covered in plastic so you can bend it to any curve. This will be perfect for you. It'll make it easy! I promise.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 07:05:01 pm by Brax »

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2003, 03:06:26 am »
Okay, Wade and Brax, you got me!

I definitely will trace around my big beautiful worm, promise!  :D

French curves... if you haven't enclosed the link, I sure would have thought it means something different  ;D

If you supply me the ticket to Germany I'd be happy to do it for you!  
Uh, BEFORE started the cab, I even might have enough money left for that! Sorry, Brax, would have been nice to meet ya (and we've damn good beer here!)

I'll get myself some tools - luckily one of our female workers here has made decorating stuff before, so I found some expert here, too. I'll keep you informed! :)

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2003, 10:37:47 am »

Go to a drafting or art supply store and buy yourself a french curve.

The problem with french curves is that they are always surrendering in the middle of drawing your line, and it's harder to trace around that white flag evenly =P

rampy

mpm32

• Cheesecake Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 09:25:14 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2003, 10:48:54 am »
The problem with french curves is that they are always surrendering in the middle of drawing your line, and it's harder to trace around that white flag evenly =P

LOL  I was thinking that, but you said it.

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2003, 10:50:28 am »
Though interesting I'll make it without french curves anyway. I was told the best is to cut it all in one line - I'll try!

Unfortunately I'll have to take the protection paper out - not a good idea to leave it on while cutting. It's not that good to see through, and I don't want it to move while I'm cutting.

At least this would gave me the chance to make a scan of the sideart (can do this at work), you never know!

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2003, 02:13:21 pm »
I'm a bit in a hurry - gotta drink some beers tonight with my friends!

But I had to show you how this turned out - this sideart is really awesome! Couldn't turn out better, really love it!  :-*

By the way -cutting out the worm turned out very fine - I'm so lucky I've done that! :) :) :)

(the picture turned out to dark - from what I know the colors of the sideart match very good!)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2003, 02:14:59 pm by Carsten Carlos »

Cue-Ball

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 28, 2006, 07:43:02 pm
  • Discs of Tron > *
    • Grant's Game Grid
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2003, 03:00:53 pm »
That cabinet is just gorgeous!  I've always loved the look of the centipede cabinet (both the shape and the artwork).

My next cabinet will definitely have to be an arcade reproduction.

Couple of questions:  Are you planning on finishing the front with a panel and coin door?  Do you have an authentic looking monitor bezel?

Absolutely fabulous work, man.  Good job.

Wade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2023, 08:30:51 pm
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2003, 03:03:48 pm »
Wow, that looks really nice!!  You have me really thinking about making a restoration (or reproduction) my next project.

Wade

MilitiaMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2011, 09:25:35 am
  • It's a fine line between hobby and mental illness.
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2003, 03:23:31 pm »
I'm a bit in a hurry - gotta drink some beers tonight with my friends!

But I had to show you how this turned out - this sideart is really awesome! Couldn't turn out better, really love it!  :-*

By the way -cutting out the worm turned out very fine - I'm so lucky I've done that! :) :) :)

(the picture turned out to dark - from what I know the colors of the sideart match very good!)

Damn .... Where did you get those "off white eggshell colored" leaf switch buttons for the pinball flippers?

Those things are SWEEEEEEET!  LOL !!!

Cab looks great ... I am still working on your translucent buttons ... I have not forgotten about you.  8)

MM

Brax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2003, 07:14:46 pm »
I think I just moistened myself!

NICE JOB! You're definitely on the top 5 list for nicest cabinet!!! (at LEAST, if not number 2 after 1UP)

I'm going for a more authentic Defender look when I copy 1UP's design. I love the look of the repro's. Fabulous work, look forward to seeing the completion!!

p.s. Hey! SLACKER! Get that web site updated!!! How selfish of you to think of yourself and play games on it! What about US? We need more pics and info about your cabinet!
*giggle*
« Last Edit: April 17, 2003, 07:18:50 pm by Brax »

Justin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2024, 10:04:14 am
    • Centipede MAME cabinet
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2003, 09:31:00 pm »
Damn!  That's the look I'm going for in my Centipede Cabinet.  Just finished sanding the second side today.

One question about the sideart:  The surroundings of the worm... is all that a white decal, or transparent?

If it is white, I think there is no point on me painting my cab sides.  Just priming will do.  Or perhaps I should cut the work out like you did  (I thought this is how it came)

Comments?  Options? Advice?
"3 warps to Uranus" -- so I stopped playing!

Brax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2003, 01:57:06 am »
If you have a standard dimensioned Centipede then the white sticker will cover over it fine. Carstens control panel "wing" is longer than stock and therefore the sticker wouldn't cover. Besides, I think this looks more authentic anyways.

Up to you though.

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2003, 02:06:34 am »
Very impressive, Carsten!!  Nice installation on the side art!  I really like white sided cabinets, they look so clean and don't seem quite so overbearing in a room I think.

android

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2003, 02:32:51 am »
One question about the sideart:  The surroundings of the worm... is all that a white decal, or transparent?

If it is white, I think there is no point on me painting my cab sides.  Just priming will do.  Or perhaps I should cut the work out like you did  (I thought this is how it came)

Comments?  Options? Advice?

The art is printed on white vynil, so no need to paint your cab. Check this link out. It tells you how to install sticker-type side art (not even priming is necessary):

http://www.69zl1.com/missilecommand.html

Carsten, great job. Your cabinet looks incredible. I'm glad you took a leap of faith and bought the art. Congrats!

-- Android

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2003, 02:37:06 am »
That picture makes me kind of wish I would have kept that Atari cabinet I got rid of last weekend. It was an Arabian (I think), but the sideart was gone. Same cabinet as Centipede and Kangaroo. I do have a Kangaroo with perfect sideart, but Kangaroo isn't nearly as good of a game as Centipede (even if the art is better).
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2003, 05:42:37 am »
Whee, so many compliments, thank you all, folks! Makes me blush all over!   :D :D :D

Couple of questions:  Are you planning on finishing the front with a panel and coin door?  Do you have an authentic looking monitor bezel?

Yep, that's the only part I'm currently missing - the frontdoor just waits for it hinches, after that I can keep our cats out off the cabinet! ;) The bezelgraphic is still in its very basic version, so far I've the green lines and the Atari-logo, but not the mushroom, and worse, the three insects at the top. Still have to find a highres-image for this!

Unfortunately I can't add the blue plastic bezel between monitor and glass, just wouldn't work in my rotating design. By the way, the steelwings carrying the monitor are not that much visible in reality as this is grey smoked glass - it just turned out like that on the photo. (I really wonder how Oscar makes these glass and monitor photos without any reflections!)

For now, I like the steelwings, looks very cool when rotation starts!  :)

Damn .... Where did you get those "off white eggshell colored" leaf switch buttons for the pinball flippers?

Those things are SWEEEEEEET!  LOL !!!

Cab looks great ... I am still working on your translucent buttons ... I have not forgotten about you.  

;D On this board you can find such helpful people! ;)

Hey! SLACKER! Get that web site updated!!!
Guess its working time again!  :D Wanted to redesign it anyway - just have to try out some conceptional ideas.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2003, 05:45:27 am by Carsten Carlos »

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2003, 05:56:12 am »
The art is printed on white vynil, so no need to paint your cab.

Very nice pictures on your link! I have a closeup-picture here - sorry, turned out big in filesize, but wanted to keep the compression-artefacts low.

Like Brax, the cutout-lines give me a more authentic feel, too - but of course this is personal preference I guess!

Larry, have you placed your order now?  ;)