Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade Renovations sideart (Centipede)  (Read 18383 times)

Justin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2024, 10:04:14 am
    • Centipede MAME cabinet
Re:Arcade Renovations sideart (Centipede)
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2003, 11:49:31 am »
The priming I've done so far on mi Centipede cabinet has resulted in a slightly texturized surface (which I like, actually, but who cares once its covered by the sideart).

Is this going to pose a problem when I place the sideart sticker?  I'm thinking the side should be as flat as possible for it to adhere properly.  Additional sanding could help, but I've sanded a lot and it still looks texturized (this is the roller's fault.. although I did buy the finest most expensive one)  <shrug>

The other alternative is to keep on priming several layers to get a real thick primed surface and then sand away real hard to smooth it out.  Or should Paint on top of primer and then sand?  Don't know how to make this thing smooth.

ideas?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2003, 11:51:04 am by Justin »
"3 warps to Uranus" -- so I stopped playing!

planetjay

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2019, 10:50:57 pm
  • Ex-Evil Admin Monkey.
    • planetjay.com
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2003, 02:05:55 pm »
Hi folks!

What I really wonder - it seems that there is no shape cut?  ???
So shall I cut the outlines of this big worm before I applied it, do I miss something, or is this art supposed to cover the whole side, so I only cut the overstanding edges?

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. On the original, the vinyl went right to the edge. But I think yours looks better! Excelent job on the cabinet!
planetjay.com. Still in Chicago. Still no hurricanes!

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2014, 05:06:25 am
  • Projects: Centipede extended, Asteroids
    • Carlos' Centipede-extended
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2003, 02:18:44 pm »
The priming I've done so far on mi Centipede cabinet has resulted in a slightly texturized surface

When I look closely from the side, I've a slightly texture also. You can't feel it though -  it comes from the laminate under the white painting. At least my sideart hasn't peeled off anywhere and I really doubt it will! Of course, hard to tell from here how your surface turned out.

By the way, I updated and redesigned my homepage! Now featuring the sideart-section (how this all was done, lotta pictures) and my new guestbook! (please sign in! Want more english comments there - any other language would be also ok, but I don't understand anything else then english&german ;) )

Justin

• Offline Offline
    • Centipede MAME cabinet
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2003, 02:29:38 pm »
Carlos:

Could you please explain the procedure using water to apply the sideart?  I cannot believe this works... water is like the last thiing I'd want between the sticker and the cabinet...   please explain in detail how this process works!

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2003, 03:15:30 pm »
Hey Justin,
thanx for signing in!  :D
I updated the attaching-part (much more text) -hope it is clearer now? Just let me know!  :)

Oh, and believe me -water is the thing you would want most between your sticker and your cab at this stage!  ;)

Brax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2003, 08:58:23 pm »
Carlos:

Could you please explain the procedure using water to apply the sideart?  I cannot believe this works... water is like the last thiing I'd want between the sticker and the cabinet...   please explain in detail how this process works!

Ok, the process works like this:

The water allows you to slide around the artwork without it actually sticking. Once you have it positioned how you want it you can squeegee out all the air bubbles to make it perfect. The glue on the sticker is not water soluable so it actually doesn't hurt the sticking power at all. The water evaporates and then you have nothing left but glue which is now firmly attached to your cabinet! (its the same process they use to apply window tint. It works like a charm)
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:06:30 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2003, 09:10:29 pm »
Oh, and believe me -water is the thing you would want most between your sticker and your cab at this stage!  ;)

Nice job, Carsten.

I'd just like to comment that water (with a very small amount of mild dish detergent even) is helpful for real, screen printed artwork.  Getting water on unprotected inkjet stuff (kinkos) would be disastrous.  

If you intend to use the "wet" application method with inkjet artwork, make sure you get it laminated.  :)

BTW, Carsten, ein Rakel ist ein "squeegee" auf English, und den messer war eine "X-acto" oder "hobby knife"  :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2003, 09:11:15 pm by RandyT »

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2003, 09:25:04 pm »
Thanx, RandyT!

Getting water on unprotected inkjet stuff (kinkos) would be disastrous.
Yep, better to include it in my next update. Though I only talked about the screen-printed artwork (you 'll never want anything else when you've seen this quality!) it's better to point that out!

Whee, you are speaking german?  :D Dictionaries are totally lost when you wanna know what a Rakel is!  ;D Now I got some more words I can add tomorrow - now it's time to sleep for me.

I really must add some lines how much better a screen printed sideart looks - of course not an option if you wanna make a sideart of your own.

with a very small amount of mild dish detergent even
Nearly forgot this - I did this also, although it doesn't seem a must.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2003, 09:34:51 pm by Carsten Carlos »

Sasquatch!

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2010, 04:11:47 pm
  • Toot-Toot!
    • Arcade Paradise
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2003, 10:57:30 pm »
I didn't comment on this before, but GOOD LORD ALMIGHTY that looks so cool!  Great job (and idea), Carsten!  

Justin

• Offline Offline
    • Centipede MAME cabinet
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2003, 01:58:47 am »
The priming I've done so far on mi Centipede cabinet has resulted in a slightly texturized surface

When I look closely from the side, I've a slightly texture also. You can't feel it though -  it comes from the laminate under the white painting.

You mean you can see the texture through the sideart sticker?  or did you mean before applying it?

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2003, 05:52:55 am »
Thanx, Sasquatch!  :D

You mean you can see the texture through the sideart sticker?  or did you mean before applying it?
Oh god sakes -no, only before!  :o But as I haven't covered the whole cab area, I still can have a look at the uncovered parts of the side.  ;) It is really a VERY slightly texture, it won't shine through any paper. Maybe you have some black laminated furniture at home - I used the same wood for my cab. Its not a woodlike-structure, more like a perls-pattern. (but then, you have to look really closely. I don't think I can photograph this to show you, but I might try)

---
Updated the sideart-section -thanx RandyT for pointing some missings out!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2003, 06:52:42 am by Carsten Carlos »

Brax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2003, 07:09:32 am »
with a very small amount of mild dish detergent even

Nearly forgot this - I did this also, although it doesn't seem a must.

I about forgot this too. A small amount is a drop or two in a spray bottle of water. Give the surface a nice misting, apply your artwork and "rakel" away! hehe
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.