Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 49-way to Xbox or PS2 question  (Read 798 times)

zelony

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2019, 04:00:12 pm
    • Green Chavez Law Firm
49-way to Xbox or PS2 question
« on: December 12, 2006, 01:04:03 pm »
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased an NFL Blitz 99 4-player showcase cabinet arcade.  The arcade is in near mint condition, so obviously I am gutting the original PCB and converting it to a MAME cabinet. ;)

I am using the GP-Wiz49 for the controllers and they will be sufficient for MAME.  However, I was asked by my daughter if she could play her Xbox and Playstation 2 games on the new arcade.

Obviously I could use the original controls and just share the nice 36" monitor, but I would really like to use the control panel and the original controls.  I have no qualms about hacking up the Xbox or PS2 controllers, but I am not sure how to interface the 49-way joysticks to the analog controllers.

I know that I should just use the digital pad for the interface, but I would like some analog control, even if it is a crude 7X7 array.

Anyone who could offer me some insight on what to solder to what would be my new best friend.  ;)

Thanks,

Jeff

Also, if anyone is interested in a perfectly working NFL Blitz 99 motherboard, hard drive, marquee and CP Overlay let me know.

DarkBubble

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 49-way to Xbox or PS2 question
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 02:10:20 pm »
There's a schematic for interfacing Happ 49-way sticks to the analog sticks:

http://www.arcadecollecting.com/info/49way_to_Hall.gif

The Wiki says that there were some Hall-based analog arcade sticks, but I don't know who made them or what games they were in.  I'd think that those would be an easier replacement, but I'm the furthest thing from an expert that there is. :P

zelony

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2019, 04:00:12 pm
    • Green Chavez Law Firm
Re: 49-way to Xbox or PS2 question
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 11:06:20 am »
So last night I was messing around with one of my daughters xbox controllers, seeing if I could somehow move the potentiometers off the board and connect them to the 49 way joystick.  Then my daughter came in and wanted to know what I was doing, so I started to explain how I was trying to adapt her controllers to the arcade controllers so she could play her Xbox and PS2 on Daddy's arcade (She has her own - 4-player Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom.)

Then the hammer came down... "Daddy, I don't want you to do that.  I like the game controllers better than the ones on the arcade!"

So of course I said:  Sweet, that will be a lot easier!

So now I am looking at my controller options.  I am thinking of using either two sets of wireless controllers or one set of wireless PS2 Controllers plugged into a universal adapter so it can work with either console.

Either way, the controllers will go on nice little shelves\hooks on the back of the pedestal, right below my light guns.

This cabinet has a metal box right above the control panel that allowed the use of a Nintendo 64 memory card.  Since I have no need for that I will probably gut it and add extensions from the PS2 for that purpose, unless the controller has that built in too.

Anyway, just thought I would say thanks for the input, but I no longer need to pursue that line of action.