Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

Which logo do you like

Version 1
Version 2
Version 3
Version 4
Version 5
Version 6 (see reply #5)
Version 4 with stiches
Other (post below)

Author Topic: FrankenMAME Logo, *** New artist needed ***  (Read 11302 times)

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
FrankenMAME Logo, *** New artist needed ***
« on: December 08, 2006, 06:19:18 pm »
EDIT:  Mista-Fragadelix has come up missing.  I send him an email a week ago and posted a request here on this thread but I have not received a response from him.  I hate to do this but my cab build is progressing faster that I had planned.  I need to find another artist who is willing to help me get this off the ground.  Please submit me a PM or email with your idea for my marquee.  Side art and control panel artwork will also be included in this request.  The artist I pick will be let in on a secrete project for this cab and will have the ability for input on how it turns out.

More information on what I am looking for can be found in this thread and my project thread.  Link in my sig.

Thank you,
Kaytrim

Round two on the logo.  Below are 5 different logos for my cab.  Please be honest and give us your opinions.

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Image 5

Thank You
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 10:12:39 am by Kaytrim »

quarterback

• King Of The Night Time World!
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2023, 10:51:41 pm
Re: FrankenMAME Logo, input requested
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 06:33:45 pm »
Conceptually, I really like the scar-stitched idea for the text.  However, for whatever reason, I don't like the way it comes out.  Even in this larger form is just seems tough to read or something.

You'll probably get people telling you to drop the "mame" portion (maybe you've been over this already) because it's overused.   If I had a gameroom full of 30 cabs that were all called something-mame, then I think it would be overused but I don't and, IMO, the 'mame' suffix is fine.

I think I like #2 the best.  I'm not against the mixed-font, but I like the way #2 maintains its aesthetic.
No crap, don't put your kids in a real fridge.
-- Chad Tower

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 07:50:41 pm »
I think #2 is the best one because I like the stitching but #5 is the easiest to read.

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 08:48:49 pm »
Is there any way to incorporate the stitching into number 4 or 5? If so...I vote for 4 W/ stitches!!

:applaud: 
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

Mista-FraggadeliX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2008, 11:34:42 am
  • Whether you think you can or you cant,you're right
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 10:44:29 am »
Finally... I'm in  :cheers:

Thx for the feedback everyone. To answer your question DonkeyKong, offcourse it's possible to put the stiches on number 4/5, but these are more of a ghostly type letters and iv'e never seen someone stiching up globs of ectoplasm. ;) But I can always throw 'em on there.

IMO the mame-logo doesn't really play well with other font-types. I personally like #2 Because it looks like it has an overly large forehead, just like Boris Karlov's original monster had and the stiches, well you can't have a Frankenstein monster without some some really rough stiching.

I also like #5 because it's such a typical 50ties-horror-pulp letter (the font is called 'Mars Attacks')

In the end it's really up to Kaytrim, he's the one who's going to have to look at it (and maybe explain to everyone what the hell it's saying)

Mista-FraggadeliX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 11:05:49 am »
So, here's #6

subcriminal

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2019, 12:58:00 pm
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 02:46:46 pm »
I'd vote #6. Looks more like a game name than the ones with the MAME logo on them, looks good with the stitches on the font too. I find the font on 1,2 & 3  a bit hard to read at a first glance.

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 05:31:25 pm »
I'd vote #6. Looks more like a game name than the ones with the MAME logo on them, looks good with the stitches on the font too. I find the font on 1,2 & 3  a bit hard to read at a first glance.

Thank you to everyone that made comments.  Also a special thanks to Mist-FraggadeliX for his work so far.  I agree with D-K in that I like option #4 with the addition of stitches.  I like the different fonts/colors help to identify the parts of the the mashed up word.

Talking about the stitches I have an idea for the CP modules.  If you are unaware I am going to use a modular CP design.  WIP of the CP design can be found via the link in my signature.  I am thinking about making the CP in one big long piece, apply the artwork then make the separation cuts.  At each separation have the stitches to make a transition between each panel.  Each panel module I anticipate having different artwork thus the idea for the transition using the stitches.  My only worry about doing it this way is the possibility of tares in the artwork where the cut occurs.

FunWithFire

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 07, 2009, 01:17:30 am
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 07:15:20 pm »
If the artwork tears, then the stitches would work even better.

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 09:49:22 pm »
If the artwork tears, then the stitches would work even better.

LOL   :laugh2:

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 09:20:33 pm »
So what is the verdict on the art? Which number?

Or is there an updated version that we haven't seen?

We want ANSWERS!!  :laugh2:
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 11:36:24 am »
I sent an email and got a reply from Mista-FraggadeliX.  He will have a near final image of the marquee for us to look at in awe soon. 
:dizzy:

Ad_Enuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2013, 01:52:14 pm
  • Forensic Imager
    • MAME COVERS
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 01:19:02 pm »
No 5 all the way! ...though perhaps add some stitching to it...play around with adding bits but not to all the letters....

have a play....
Ad_Enuff
www.mameworld.net/mrdo/mame_artwork.html - (MAME Artwork Project)

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
Re: FrankenMAME Logo, input requested (Poll Added)
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 02:29:20 pm »
For those who wish to vote the Poll has been added.

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2012, 09:00:32 pm
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 02:40:57 pm »
I like #2 with the creepy wave of #5 with fewer stitches. Every letter doesn't have to have them. Perhaps remove a fewer stitches from some letters and add a few bolts and a few warts just to mix it up a little.
This plan is so perfect, it's retarded. -- Peter Family Guy

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 03:10:33 pm »
This is just the logo/name part of the marquee.  There will be more items there something like the rough drawing in my project thread.

Ad_Enuff

• Offline Offline
  • Forensic Imager
    • MAME COVERS
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 01:32:11 pm »
Number 4 is awful! its just a generic MAME cab with the MAME logo bolted on the end. The others except 5, I hate the font.

The reason I like number 5 is that it its part of look your ultimately going for: unique custom artwork.

Putting the MAME Logo on any MAME cab ruins it for me....if I've seen one, I've seen a billion of them!

You want your cab to be customised to your own design.....not borrow other peoples.

There is no other design I like......although I'd put a ghostly castle and some bats or something...maybe put some Nuts and Bolts through the main characters...just some ideas
Ad_Enuff

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 03:29:11 pm »
Ad_Enough,

I want to thank you for your inciteful critique of the artwork.  You were able to get me to see what others, including the artist, have been trying to tell me for quite some time.  I have been wanting the distinction of the MAME logo in the name but you have made me finally see the tackiness of the idea.  I'll send Mista-FraggadeliX a note and see if he could change this to Version 6 in the final workup.  When that is done either he or I will post it here for everyone to see.

l8r

pink

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2007, 11:57:58 pm
  • Your phone's ringin dude.
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 05:04:58 pm »
I agree, i dont like any of the ones with the Mame logo.  #5 with the stitches is where its at!

Ad_Enuff

• Offline Offline
  • Forensic Imager
    • MAME COVERS
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2007, 05:10:30 pm »
Ad_Enuff,

I want to thank you for your inciteful critique of the artwork.  You were able to get me to see what others, including the artist, have been trying to tell me for quite some time.  I have been wanting the distinction of the MAME logo in the name but you have made me finally see the tackiness of the idea.  I'll send Mista-FraggadeliX a note and see if he could change this to Version 6 in the final workup.  When that is done either he or I will post it here for everyone to see.

Phew! I'm glad! I think you've made the right decision...heres a quick mock up of what I said earlier....
Ad_Enuff

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2007, 06:13:28 pm »
Ad_Enuff,

Phew! I'm glad! I think you've made the right decision...heres a quick mock up of what I said earlier....

Take a look at my project thread.  I have a rough drawing that I did there for the marquee.  It'll give you an idea what I am looking for.  I like the castle though.  Could we use it?

Thanks,

fjl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2017, 10:14:04 pm
  • Pixels Rule!
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2007, 12:42:24 am »
Sorry, but I don't like any of them. Mainly because I don't think they have an arcade like feeling.

Ad_Enuff

• Offline Offline
  • Forensic Imager
    • MAME COVERS
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2007, 04:48:00 am »
Sorry, but I don't like any of them. Mainly because I don't think they have an arcade like feeling.

I'm sorry but I totally disgaree, of course you can have a cab that not only is NOT arcade related but can look awesome!

Ad_Enuff

Ad_Enuff

• Offline Offline
  • Forensic Imager
    • MAME COVERS
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2007, 05:25:31 am »
I like the castle though.  Could we use it?

Thanks,

Here's my AI file for the castle, its just clipart from M$ but it was close to what I had in mind. Of course, you can create your own.
Ad_Enuff

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2007, 09:25:53 am »
I like the Simpsons artwork Ad_Enuff and thanks for the AI file.  I make sure that Mista-FraggadeliX gets a copy and we will see if we can use it somewhere.  Maybe on the side art.  I have some real off the wall ideas for this cab but I want to keep them under wraps for the time being.  If I can pull it off you guys are going to flip.  >:D

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2007, 09:49:28 am »
 Ok folks I am looking for some help here on my admin panel.

As you can see by the pic above it is rather plain and the artwork and layout is up for discussion.  I think that using the castle that Ad_Enough did would work in the middle where there is a blank space.  Then use the FrankenMAME logo above the MAME admin buttons.  I am also thinking of adding a Page-Up and Page-Down buttons on the GameEx control buttons.

Have at it folks and thank you for all your help up to this point.

pink

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2007, 11:57:58 pm
  • Your phone's ringin dude.
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2007, 12:36:45 pm »
do you raelly want your admin buttons mounted vertically where your monitor bezel should be?   No matter how clean you build your final cab, thats going to make it look .. blech.

I'm not a huge fan of admin buttons in the first place, I'd much rather see extensive use of shift buttons via an *pac or other supporting encoder.

I suspect your removable panels may require the admin panel, and you probably want to make it easy for young kids to control .. but theres gotta be a better way / better place than that ..

Ad_Enuff

• Offline Offline
  • Forensic Imager
    • MAME COVERS
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2007, 12:41:02 pm »
Can I make another suggestion?

Change your MAME cab to Windows Media Centre and then add the MCE remote control (about U$30/£30).

Reason being is that at the moment there are too many buttons and its over complicating the CPO.

Using the MCE remote will operate Windows MCE and also GameEX....plus that will be far more sexier!

Just a suggestion!

Ad_Enuff

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2007, 01:41:25 pm »
The PC in this cab is an older P4, 800mhz i think with 512m RAM using MAME 106.  I have slimmed down XP as much as I dare and with GameEX it still uses quite a bit of the limited space.  I want to have as much available RAM as possible to be able to play some of the more demanding games.  An example is MK 1-3  I can play MK with no problem but when I try MK2 or MK3 it bogs down big time.

One other thing to consider is that this is the second homework computer for my kids.  So this thing is on the internet and connected to the network printer in my office.  There is also MS office, anti-virus and other background tools loaded as well.  At least I have two profiles both hardware and login.  This is so I can limit the overhead as much as possible for MAME and still have the necessary services for the homework side.  This also makes the wife happy so I can keep this thing around and can continue to work on it.

I hope that you see the quandary that I have gotten myself into here. 

Ad_Enuff

• Offline Offline
  • Forensic Imager
    • MAME COVERS
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2007, 06:00:28 pm »
The thing is at the moment your MAME cab is only a P4 800Mhz but in the future I assume you will wish to upgrade the PC to a higher spec?

If thats the case you need to think ahead and not the present. By adding the MCE remote to your MAME setup it will simplify your CPO making less cluttered and will allow for more area to place artwork and customise your cab.

At this stage, its better to look ahead at upgrade posibilities rather than thinking this cab's PC spec etc is all I'm going to need.

Remember, with all the fine tuning Aaron Giles and the MAMEdevs are doing, a more powerful PC will definately be required making your PC redundant (MAMEdev is very good at doing that!). Just look at what spec you need to run all my HI-RES artwork I have been doing for the MAME Artwork Project?

Windows MCE is practically the same as XP its just got more multimedia ability. If your PC can run XP, then Windows MCE will be no problem.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 06:02:56 pm by Ad_Enuff »
Ad_Enuff

Ad_Enuff

• Offline Offline
  • Forensic Imager
    • MAME COVERS
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2007, 06:09:32 am »
Just another point, dont try to build a MAME cab around a specific MAME version such as you are doing with MAME 0.106.

This is not a great idea as MAME is constantly revising and updating drivers which improve a games completeness emulation wise.

For example Berzerk now has FULL sound and speech emulation from 0.112 (when its released). If you were a Berzerk fan, then of course you will want to update to the latest MAME version.

This will cuase you grief in the long term.

Another example would be Bubble Bobble. Nicola only updated that driver only fairly recently and again is only available from a certain version upwards.

These thinsg are bound to happen. Again think ahead and not the present.
Ad_Enuff

johnperkins21

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2019, 07:02:34 pm
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2007, 12:03:33 pm »

I'm sorry but I totally disgaree, of course you can have a cab that not only is NOT arcade related but can look awesome!

Where can I get this and steal it for my machine? Heck, I'd change my whole cabinet design to get this on there. Combine my love for videogames with my Simpsons obsession, with better art than the official game, and I've spooged all over the front of my pants.  :o
Bob Dole likes cheese.

Crowquill

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2021, 05:02:15 pm
  • Scratch-built Guitar - Under Construction!
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2007, 04:11:38 pm »
Sorry to come late to the party, but here's a couple ideas...

The official MAME logo definitely clashes, but It'd still be nice to have some separation of "franken" and "MAME". Three things that could be done to help differentiate them.

1. different colors.
2. offset them so they're not perfectly aligned
3. use some type of graphic to help show there is a division there.

Here's a visual aid. I couldn't quickly find the font so I used "Feast of Flesh" from blambot.com. Please excuse my crappy lightning.
Brevity is not my strong suit.

Crowquill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2007, 04:25:11 pm »
Personally I'm not a big fan of admin buttons. My control panel has none. The one time I think they can work really well is when it's being operated by kids and the average visitor to your house. It can be a tricky balance though--if you have too many it can confuse them even more. I do like the red-yellow-green layout, but you might find that with Quit and Pause that close together, accidents can happen. Also, will the kids be able to reach the admin buttons? (or is that on purpose)

I'm a bit confused...are you building a cabinet, or a tabletop unit that will hold the monitor?

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2007, 05:38:54 pm »

I'm a bit confused...are you building a cabinet, or a tabletop unit that will hold the monitor?

For more information on my project follow the link in my signature.  The current box is an old computer desk and is only in use for testing of the layouts and to deal with issues like this admin panel.  I plan on starting on a real cabinet in the spring when things warm up and funds loosen up a bit more.

I do plan on using a modular CP which gave me the idea for the name.  I want each panel to have different artwork from various classic arcade games.  Maybe even a special button panel for Defender/Stargate.

Sorry to come late to the party, but here's a couple ideas...

The official MAME logo definitely clashes, but It'd still be nice to have some separation of "franken" and "MAME". Three things that could be done to help differentiate them.

1. different colors.
2. offset them so they're not perfectly aligned
3. use some type of graphic to help show there is a division there.

It is not too late yet as Mista-FraggadeliX hasn't finished the Marquee yet.  He also told me that he tries to keep an eye on this thread and will reply with a draft here soon.

Here was my original sketch for the marquee.  I have more build pics over on my flickr site as well. http://www.flickr.com/photos/kaytrim/

My original plan was to have the lightning fade from green to blue along the transition of the logo.  The scientist would also have a speech bubble with the words "It's Alive" thus the need for him to be on the right side.

Oh and as far as the admin buttons go I haven't had any issues with the wrong button being pushed so far.  Though I might remove the MAME config button.  I did this layout for my guests who didn't understand how to choose a game and it makes it easier.  That is when the cab  gets the most use anyway is when we have friends around.   Also my kids are old enough that reaching them is not an issue.

Thanks for chiming in Crowquill,
TTFN  :cheers:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 05:47:28 pm by Kaytrim »

Mista-FraggadeliX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2007, 06:45:59 am »
So, here's my two-cents again...

I'm gonna swallow my pride here: Crowquill, I really, really like that logo you made. It looks more alive 'cause of the staggered baseline... really really nice  :notworthy:

I've been really busy with other stuff lately, so the frankenmame artwork has been on the backburner, but as i've mentioned to kaytrim already. The inkwork is all done. And now i'm coloring and compositing the stuff in illustrator.

About that admin-panel... Maybe it's possible to put it on a hinge of some sort and use extra long wiring, so you can flip the panel out of sight, when your not actually using it... just a thought.

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2007, 10:37:12 am »
So, here's my two-cents again...

I'm gonna swallow my pride here: Crowquill, I really, really like that logo you made. It looks more alive 'cause of the staggered baseline... really really nice  :notworthy:

I have to agree Crowquill.  I like it as well.  What do you think about the color combo while using the same font Mista-FraggadeliX?

Crowquill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2007, 06:20:13 pm »
Glad you guys like it. Here's the Illustrator PDF file. The font's converted to outlines, but the font was "feast of flesh". It's a freebie from blambot.com (an awesome comic book font site).  The lightning and background are seperate layers.

Thought it might save some time.

Chris G

• Well then throw me in a dress and call me Sally
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2023, 04:39:59 pm
  • Robotron in progress? I'm on my way.
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2007, 01:04:00 am »
I'll bump the thread with my belated comments... not sure if this is finished already.

I like the stitches a lot, however, they make it look like a football to me for some reason.  Maybe the creative experts can work that in together with the blood or lightening themes to make it scarier looking.  Also, I'm not sure if it's the "official" Frankenstein font, but I saw one that looked pretty cool on: typenow.net.

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2007, 11:33:16 am »

I've been really busy with other stuff lately, so the frankenmame artwork has been on the backburner, but as i've mentioned to kaytrim already. The inkwork is all done. And now i'm coloring and compositing the stuff in illustrator.

Mista-FraggadeliX,

Has there been any progress on the marquee?  I am still working on the shape and config of the cab but the marque size is still the same.

TTFN  :cheers:
Kaytrim