Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Printing ON laminate..is it even possible ! ?  (Read 29158 times)

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
Printing ON laminate..is it even possible ! ?
« on: March 29, 2003, 03:03:16 pm »
 ???

Anyone ever done this?

You know like how x-arcade do it..or hotrod joystick do it.

HOW  ???

anyone know any online place or anyone PRINTS on laminate..it would be great if i wanna print on laminate then use that laminate as side art..

ANYONE ?

Any link is good though..I am pretty sure its not gonna happen but nothing wrong with trying right.  :)

« Last Edit: April 21, 2003, 11:26:31 pm by SNAAAKE »

tom61

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2017, 12:46:56 am
Re:Printing ON laminate..is it even possible ! ?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2003, 04:48:35 pm »
I've never heard of printer that can print directly to laminate, but you can silk screen onto anything.

Silk screening is a process where you separate the image into colors, and then create a layer of material (sorta looks like clay) in which the negative of that color's image is 'burned ' on a silk screen (sorta like a screen door, but much smaller holes), then the screen is put on top the item, then paint is scraped across it, the paint only goes through the open holes. You repeat for every color.

This quite cheap if you do alot of it (like X-arcade), but the setup fees are quite high (since they'd have to make negatives, then burn the screens), so not cheap for a single person's design.

You might want to talk to a local printing place (a real one, not Kinkos) and see what they can do for you.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2003, 03:51:45 am »
I've never heard of printer that can print directly to laminate, but you can silk screen onto anything.

Silk screening is a process where you separate the image into colors, and then create a layer of material (sorta looks like clay) in which the negative of that color's image is 'burned ' on a silk screen (sorta like a screen door, but much smaller holes), then the screen is put on top the item, then paint is scraped across it, the paint only goes through the open holes. You repeat for every color.

This quite cheap if you do alot of it (like X-arcade), but the setup fees are quite high (since they'd have to make negatives, then burn the screens), so not cheap for a single person's design.

You might want to talk to a local printing place (a real one, not Kinkos) and see what they can do for you.

All that?  :(..neh.its not gonna happen :(.

Tom61:Know anything about how the companies do it?
Like you know..when I buy a Blitz cabinet,I have side art which is printed in some weird material that like sticks to sides forever and wont scratch unless you try to scratch on purpose.

Get the picture?

Anyone else know anything about this?

I know it will be impossible for just someone like me(only 1 cabinet) but what are those material that they use  ???.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2003, 03:58:00 am by SNAAAKE »

Gopherboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2003, 06:44:40 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2003, 06:18:47 pm »
Hi Snaaake,

I was looking into this a little while ago and found this site:

http://ourhouse.ninemsn.com.au/ourhouse/factsheets/db/artanddesign/06/682.asp

This is Aussie (like me) and damned expensive. I presume there would be similiar services available in the great expanse of the USA and perhaps at a cheaper rate.

At least this answers your question as to whether it is possible.

gopher.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2003, 06:35:32 pm »
thanks for the link..i have been searching all day..

NO dice !  :(

I will just go the old school way..cover the sides with plexi. :D
There isnt any other solid way to do this..I mean it costs a lot for sides and I really dont like printing a sticker then someone destroys the sticker or peels it right off the cabinet..

anyhoo..thanks ;)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2003, 06:38:01 pm by SNAAAKE »

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2003, 06:45:21 pm »
I'm pretty sure that the HotRod and X-Arcade reverse print their control panel graphics on textured lexan film and then it is stuck down with some industrial 3M adhesive.  I believe the lexan has a matte/velvet finish.

Professional print shops can do this and may even stock the lexan film.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2003, 08:27:33 pm »
I'm pretty sure that the HotRod and X-Arcade reverse print their control panel graphics on textured lexan film and then it is stuck down with some industrial 3M adhesive.  I believe the lexan has a matte/velvet finish.

REALLY ?  :D
Its VERY good idea...anyone know someone who does this(anyone online?)..maybe then I could reverse print the stuff on lexan or plexi then use some contact cement to glue in on the sides...

I am sure kinkos dont do this kind of stuff right.

I will email the arcadeshoper.com guy and see if he wants to do it..
I recall him doin this kind of printing and lexan.. :)

Thanks for the idea Oscar.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2003, 11:29:44 pm by SNAAAKE »

hyiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2003, 10:55:35 pm »
I don't think contact cement is clear enough for this...

you'll need some kind of glue that after it dries, it'll become very clear.....

the contact cement glue I've seen.... after it dries... is kinda yellowish....
Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2003, 11:21:27 pm »
I don't think contact cement is clear enough for this...

you'll need some kind of glue that after it dries, it'll become very clear.....

the contact cement glue I've seen.... after it dries... is kinda yellowish....

YOP !...good point there..actually i never knew how contact cement looks AFTER it dries and all..it seems like a lot of hassle though..will just go plexi way after all..

Unless the arcadeshopper guy cuts me a deal or somethin and use transparent adhesive/glue....who knows.. :(

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2003, 02:42:50 am »

A word of caution about this:

I used this material on my CP and it was incredible.....The key word here is "was"  :(

This material is reverse-print, which means that you apply the glue to the surface you printed on.  The thing that makes that surface ink receptive is a coating that is applied to the polycarbonate.  Once this coating is bonded to a surface with contact cement, the adhesion between the surface and the coating is stronger than the bond between the coating and the polycarbonate.

This means that if you snag an edge, even slightly, this material likes to de-laminate like crazy.  You can literally peel the polycarbonate material away cleanly, leaving the printed graphics (the coating layer) and glue stuck to the panel (how cleanly it comes away depend on the uniformity of the adhesive layer.)

Needless to say, this is a "bad thing" :)

If you can adequately protect the edges, you might be okay.  Otherwise, I don't recommend it.

RandyT

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2003, 06:48:54 am »
It looks like on the HotRod the edges are tucked down behind the t-molding to prevent this from happening.  Good warning, though.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2003, 01:48:33 pm »

A word of caution about this:

I used this material on my CP and it was incredible.....The key word here is "was"  :(

This material is reverse-print, which means that you apply the glue to the surface you printed on.  The thing that makes that surface ink receptive is a coating that is applied to the polycarbonate.  Once this coating is bonded to a surface with contact cement, the adhesion between the surface and the coating is stronger than the bond between the coating and the polycarbonate.

This means that if you snag an edge, even slightly, this material likes to de-laminate like crazy.  You can literally peel the polycarbonate material away cleanly, leaving the printed graphics (the coating layer) and glue stuck to the panel (how cleanly it comes away depend on the uniformity of the adhesive layer.)

Needless to say, this is a "bad thing" :)

If you can adequately protect the edges, you might be okay.  Otherwise, I don't recommend it.

RandyT

Thanks..yes MY idea was like something like this too..i was gonna use 5/8 wood and 1/8 lexan print and 3/4 molding so things would be "OKAY" except still no dice :(.

The arcadeshopper guy never replied about this so I am assuming he is not interested..anyway thanks for the warning RandyT. :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2003, 02:13:53 pm by SNAAAKE »

tom61

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2017, 12:46:56 am
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2003, 04:19:34 pm »

Like you know..when I buy a Blitz cabinet,I have side art which is printed in some weird material that like sticks to sides forever and wont scratch unless you try to scratch on purpose.

Get the picture?

I know it will be impossible for just someone like me(only 1 cabinet) but what are those material that they use  ???.

They use Adhesive Vinyl, then the image is silk-screened onto it (some newer pro-quality printers can print on it though). It'll be expensive to get just one made (probably $150+ per side).

If you're really serious about getting this, have it done professionally, go down to a local print shop (look in the yellow pages for Printers). They'll work with you to tweak the image and printout to what you want, unlike Kinko's where you get whatever comes out of their machines.

Of course you pay a premium for this, but the result is usually much better.

BTW, I've taken classes in graphics arts, that's how I know how most of this works.

Vesper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 11, 2014, 12:47:57 am
  • Have you seen the Yellow Sign?
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2003, 04:32:53 pm »
I did my CPO (and Marquee) with reverse-printing on polycarbonate.  The CPO was on a slightly textured surface, and they applied 3M double sided adhesive to the back.  I had this done at a local sign shop, and it was rather expensive.  (About $170 for the two pieces, including the adhesive.)

Here's some images of mine.  I am still in awe of how nice it turned out.  I have had no problems with it peeling back.  My CPO was made with 3/4" plywood.  The thickness of the polycarbonate is so thin that it doesn't matter as far as adjusting for matching up with tmolding, etc.

http://home.wi.rr.com/dg64738/mame1.jpg
http://home.wi.rr.com/dg64738/mame2.jpg
http://home.wi.rr.com/dg64738/mame3.jpg
http://home.wi.rr.com/dg64738/mame4.jpg
http://home.wi.rr.com/dg64738/mame5.jpg

- Mike

AX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2004, 02:07:53 pm
  • The only way to win is to cheat!
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2003, 04:49:26 pm »
Is that an Orange trackball?  Cuz if it is I want one. lol

Vesper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 11, 2014, 12:47:57 am
  • Have you seen the Yellow Sign?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2003, 05:29:22 pm »
Is that an Orange trackball?  Cuz if it is I want one. lol

Actually, it's transluscent red (with a light underneath).  It just looks orange when it's not powered up/not viewed directly.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2003, 06:05:43 pm »

Get the picture?

They use Adhesive Vinyl, then the image is silk-screened onto it (some newer pro-quality printers can print on it though). It'll be expensive to get just one made (probably $150+ per side).

If you're really serious about getting this, have it done professionally, go down to a local print shop (look in the yellow pages for Printers). They'll work with you to tweak the image and printout to what you want, unlike Kinko's where you get whatever comes out of their machines.

Of course you pay a premium for this, but the result is usually much better.

BTW, I've taken classes in graphics arts, that's how I know how most of this works.

I see...its kinda sad($150+ per sides :().

But atleast it CAN be done..I will just use a plexi glass for protection..you know..since it looks allright on CP why not sides. :D

Vesper,
Panel looks great YET very expenive...OUCH !..i cant imagine paying like $170 for overlay and marque :o.
The quility is great and all though..very colorful  :)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2003, 06:08:50 pm by SNAAAKE »