Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New thread... Post "finished" designs here....  (Read 81848 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
New thread... Post "finished" designs here....
« on: March 28, 2003, 07:42:26 pm »
Since the threads are getting cluttered with comments on printing methods ect... I thought I would start a fresh one for people to quickly go in and view the images.  

So first the black.....

Now for those of you who like white t-shirts I simply inverted the image.  You may think this is the lazy way out (and it is  :) ) but artistically speaking warmer colors look best on black shirts and cooler colors look best on white ones.  Without further delay:  

I am also working on complementary images to go on pockets, on the back ect.....  I will post those when done.  

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
Re:New thread... Post "finished" designs here....
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2003, 07:47:18 pm »
Those are nice howard - I actually like the white one more, though the text would need to be cleaned up to get rid of the blue circles.  But aren't those Happ images? meaning...copyrighted?  I'm not trying to give offense - I really like using the schematic views as images - but it might go against Saint's guidelines.   I just notice these things more since we have to really cover our  @ss at work  :-[
EDIT: hmm...I say nevermind on this for now- like Brax said. we can figure this all out at a later time. But it's good to be aware of it, at least.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2003, 10:49:23 am by Frostillicus »

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2003, 08:03:07 pm »
Ok I guess these 2 are finished:

The original also had a 'cartoonish' look to it, but still looks good I think:

« Last Edit: March 28, 2003, 08:07:08 pm by Frostillicus »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2003, 08:07:12 pm »
They are happs images, but they are installation diagrams and thus freely distributable.  (Also to my knowledge you can't copyright a mechanical draft, just any ideas expressed in said draft.)  However if they were to complain I can easily make my own drafts.  It just seems silly to me as they would turn out looking exactly the same.  

**Edit**  

I looked on happs site to verify my suspicions and it appears I am correct.  All portions of their site/manuals/ect that they don't wish for you to distribute have a copyright notice or watermark attached.  All of the images I used, however,  do not have these notices so it can be assumed that they are meant for public use.  This would make sense as if it was copyrighted you couldn't "legally" print out the templates to cut your holes with.  However, I would be willing to talk to happs to make it official if it were to make people feel more at ease.  

« Last Edit: March 28, 2003, 09:01:25 pm by Howard_Casto »

Brax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2003, 08:13:55 pm »
The designs are very likely proprietary and therefore not reproducable legally, but whatever.

Lets keep the chatter to a minimum and just have lots of cool pics. We can debate the elgibility of designs elsewhere. :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2003, 08:15:55 pm by Brax »
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

Distortion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2016, 04:39:20 pm
  • Saints Row 2, Sucka
    • Volition
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2003, 12:38:05 am »
Hey frost, the cartoon one would probably work out best for a t-shirt design since screen printing requires the use of 1 color at a time.
Game programmers do not play games for a living.  Would you say a mechanic drives cars for a living?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2003, 02:32:55 am »
Hey frost, the cartoon one would probably work out best for a t-shirt design since screen printing requires the use of 1 color at a time.

That makes no difference as so far the top two printing services we are looking at don't do screen printing.  I'll say it one final time, make the logo any way you want it and when we pick the winner we will worry about color pallette issues.  

Groza

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2004, 11:19:06 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2003, 01:35:40 pm »
I really like Howard_Casto's white t-shirt design with the diagrams, I would buy a shirt right now if thats what it looked like (on the back of the shirt)

I have a good image that I made, but I dont have a site to post it on. could I e-mail it to someone and they could post it?
 Thanks

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2003, 02:51:51 pm »
I really like Howard_Casto's white t-shirt design with the diagrams, I would buy a shirt right now if thats what it looked like (on the back of the shirt)

I have a good image that I made, but I dont have a site to post it on. could I e-mail it to someone and they could post it?
 Thanks

File uploading has been approved on this forum so simply upload it here, after you do when can click on the link it creates and view it.  

RacerX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2022, 12:06:34 pm
  • Longtime member, sometime poster.
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2003, 03:52:04 pm »

Thanks

Here you go.  Groza said he's open to criticism.  Howard, how do you upload to the site?  Do you use the "Attach:" text box at the bottom of the screen when posting a message?

BASSOFeeSH

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2009, 12:46:42 am
  • TD-2779
    • Trooper Armor
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2003, 05:27:10 pm »
I just showed an interested co-worker howard's design and he said "holy crap!  You need schematics to build this stuff!?"

powerslave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2003, 09:39:43 pm
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2003, 03:36:08 pm »
I just showed an interested co-worker howard's design and he said "holy crap!  You need schematics to build this stuff!?"

schematics?? i wasnt issued any..  see,the new guy is always left outta the loop..  :(

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2003, 04:11:33 pm »

That was the original idea.  People seem to think this hobby is FAR more complex than it is, so I thought I would go with it.  :)

BASSOFeeSH

• Offline Offline
  • TD-2779
    • Trooper Armor
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2003, 05:04:20 pm »
For those of us that haven't already built something its damn funny, but it could be a turn off for someone thinking about getting into the hobby.

powerslave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2003, 09:39:43 pm
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2003, 01:55:59 am »
I just started in on the hobby..  my next step is to plan the computer.. I have the controls,cab,wiring,and the voices in my head to keep me goin..  :)

kspiff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2016, 09:15:36 pm
  • Love of the game, baby.. love of the game..
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2003, 07:31:16 am »
I would just like to comment that I like Frosty's design because it has convex buttons :o

Go Frosty! ;D
k-spiff

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2003, 05:49:48 am »

Thanks

Here you go.  Groza said he's open to criticism.  Howard, how do you upload to the site?  Do you use the "Attach:" text box at the bottom of the screen when posting a message?

yeah, use the attach area, click on browse to find the file.

BTW, don't use a cabinet like that, I've seen what it is based off of ;)  Use a classic lookingish cab (to avoid copyrights).  Heck, use the generic cab that alot of games used (like SF2 and double dragon 2)  But I like that idea.

RacerX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2003, 02:36:26 pm »

yeah, use the attach area, click on browse to find the file.

BTW, don't use a cabinet like that, I've seen what it is based off of ;)  Use a classic lookingish cab (to avoid copyrights).  Heck, use the generic cab that alot of games used (like SF2 and double dragon 2)  But I like that idea.

I agree about using a more classic looking cab.  But I really like Groza's idea.  I took the image that Groza sent me and made it white on black (the negative of the above image), and it looks cool.  It would be great for a black t-shirt.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2003, 05:06:27 pm »
Well there is another issue.  Unless I'm mistaken (and there is a slight chance of that)  that image is based upon my komani cabinet model for 3darcade.  :)   Read your disclaimer....  conversion for use in a public distrobution is prohibited without the orignal author's concent.  

That's not to say I won't give you permission, but it would be nice to be asked first.  

Brax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2003, 06:09:15 pm »
Well there is another issue.  Unless I'm mistaken (and there is a slight chance of that)  that image is based upon my komani cabinet model for 3darcade.  :)   Read your disclaimer....  conversion for use in a public distrobution is prohibited without the orignal author's concent.  

That's not to say I won't give you permission, but it would be nice to be asked first.  
Holy bad grammar and spelling Batman! (not to mention ego) You may be right, but it's 15 lines. Any monkey could have drawn it.

Groza

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2003, 06:28:43 pm »
actually the design is based off of the arcade shopper cabinet, which is based off of the konami 4-player cabs like x-men or TMNT. I could do a design for a more classic cab, but a lot of people here have newer looking upright cabs. I'll still make some other designs though.

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2003, 08:09:30 pm »
well this thread is getting a bit clogged - maybe we should start a new one with no words whatsoever.
This is my take on a black/white idea - much simpler than my other ones, and with less boobs   :P  a lot of people like this slogan.  The cabinet could be changed to a more popular shape, I just used my 2-piece since it was already modeled in 3dstudio.

EDIT I deleted the large picture - see my later post for different versions.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 09:09:48 pm by Frostillicus »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2003, 08:16:19 pm »

Holy bad grammar and spelling Batman! (not to mention ego) You may be right, but it's 15 lines. Any monkey could have drawn it.

Holy butt-in's batman!!  Since when was it any of your concern?  When you have something related to the thread to add  then please respond, otherwise please keep your idiotic, flame-starting, comments to yourself!!!!!!!!  

And I didn't draw it, I made the model for  3darcade.  There is a BIG difference.  (15 minutes of work vs 8 hours of work)

But apparently it was from another source, so I apologize to Groza.  Sorry about that man.  I might want to look into arcade shopper though, as the design as the same non-konami flaw that I put in my cabinet model by mistake.  It may be nothing, it just seems really odd.   :)

Groza

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2003, 12:37:13 am »
The whole idea of my control panel being blank is because you have to build it. I'm trying to show a basic design, because once you get into deatails, everyone wants to argue. Anyway, here is another design. I'ts kind of small and not as good as the last one, but if you like it, let me know and i'll make a better version.

RacerX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2003, 12:46:21 am »
The whole idea of my control panel being blank is because you have to build it. I'm trying to show a basic design, because once you get into deatails, everyone wants to argue. Anyway, here is another design. I'ts kind of small and not as good as the last one, but if you like it, let me know and i'll make a better version.

I like it!  I do also very much like the slogan, "Game not over."

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2003, 03:48:38 am »
Yeah, I like the more classic looking cab better.

That huge CP is just not pretty.

Brax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2003, 06:04:37 am »
The monitor is in the wrong orientation.
 ;)

Groza

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2003, 04:32:25 pm »
okay, the monitor should be horzontal orientation because MOST projects are that way, I'm trying to appeal to the norm. To me the small control panel looks inferior (especially when this site is based off of controls, not just cabinets), and most of the old cabs looked top heavy (like they were about to tip over). anyway, all of the logos are only getting opinions from the very few who visit this forum. MORE INPUT=BETTER LOGO
There should be a notice at the TOP of the front page about this forum.

I'm not trying to be an @$$ hole, just want to give some suggestions/ideas.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2003, 06:20:19 pm »
I like frosty's version better.  With the BYOAC on the side like that it makes you want to look over to the left.  Frosty's keeps your eyes more centered.  However, no offsense frosty but I think you should ditch the slogans while your ahead.  They are just generic (and nobody can decide on a non-generic one) which makes me think bland t-shirt, even though the design itself isn't bland.

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2003, 08:39:03 pm »
I like frosty's version better.  With the BYOAC on the side like that it makes you want to look over to the left.  Frosty's keeps your eyes more centered.  However, no offsense frosty but I think you should ditch the slogans while your ahead.  They are just generic (and nobody can decide on a non-generic one) which makes me think bland t-shirt, even though the design itself isn't bland.
Heh heh - none taken.  I am obsessed with slogans.  but hey my design up near the top doesn't have one....
What about these

« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 09:10:37 pm by Frostillicus »

Chad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2003, 07:46:59 pm
  • 'There's no place like 127.0.0.1' :thinkgeek.com
    • Chad's Invasion Site
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2003, 11:16:07 am »
I just think this is a good looking shirt.

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't" :thinkgeek.com

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2003, 11:59:09 am »

FWIW you could soooo easily hand screenprint that... or get a 1 color screenprint like that done cheaply in bulk... *shrug*

although if people don't like it, best.. what's the point =P

rampy

Brax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2003, 12:34:54 pm »
How soon before we get to vote?
Is anyone else working on a design? Any point to waiting longer?

I have my favorite, but to be honest I really don't like the other designs. I think we need to ask two questions:

Which design do you like best?
Would you actually BUY it?

I don't think I'd buy one of the other designs if they're picked over my favorite.

Chad

• Offline Offline
    • Chad's Invasion Site
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2003, 12:51:05 pm »
My brother owns a screen printing company in Texas and can print them for:

12 @ $8.00 each
25 @ $7.00 each
31 @ $6.00 each
100 @ $5.00 each
200 @ $4.75 each
201- above@ $4.50 each

They use very high quality shirts, too.
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't" :thinkgeek.com

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2003, 02:27:29 pm »
Here are my designs on black t-shirts -  in the next post is a blank t-shirt for others to use.

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2003, 02:28:23 pm »
blank black t-shirt (say that three times fast  :) )

Chad

• Offline Offline
    • Chad's Invasion Site
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2003, 02:54:03 pm »
Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...
Man they all look good.

We can still get them made at my brothers shop.

Screen Graphics
310 N Collegiate Dr
Paris, TX 75460

BASSOFeeSH

• Offline Offline
  • TD-2779
    • Trooper Armor
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2003, 03:11:33 pm »

I just inversed the image, but I think both look good.  I prefer the black though.

I also like Frostillicus' logos.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2003, 03:11:58 pm by BASSOFeeSH »

RacerX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2003, 03:56:32 pm »
I prefer the black shirt too.  And I also happen to really like Groza's design.  It's simple, but cool.

That being said, I also like Frosty's and Howard's designs.

Of course, I'll buy a shirt no matter whose logo is picked, especially if a portion of the proceeds go to help pay Saint's web hosting bill.

hyiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2003, 05:18:51 pm »
I WILL BUY...

a black t-shirt...
with the BYOAC (the left of the 3 shirt...)
but the image shrink to like pocket size...
and the back has Howard's design....

can anyone combine a image for that ??...

I think that will look MIGHTY cool.....
 ;D ;D ;D
Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p

Chad

• Offline Offline
    • Chad's Invasion Site
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2003, 09:37:50 pm »
Here you go:

Is that what you were looking for?

RacerX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2003, 09:46:25 pm »
I think he wanted to see Howard's, too.  Here you go.  Just pretend this is the back.   ;)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2003, 09:48:16 pm by RacerX »

Chad

• Offline Offline
    • Chad's Invasion Site
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2003, 10:01:03 pm »
That is a good looking shirt. It looks good on black. If there is no copyright problems I would have to say that one is my favorite.

RacerX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2003, 11:06:11 pm »
That is a good looking shirt. It looks good on black. If there is no copyright problems I would have to say that one is my favorite.

Gig 'em!

hyiu

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2003, 12:38:58 pm »
Hi Chad and RacerX...
thank you... thank you...

the front (with the small BYOAC logo on the left titty area...) that is perfect !!....

the back... I really like Howard's design... but somehow... it seems too dark (black bkgnd on black shirt....)

how about Howard's white design on a black shirt on the back ??... (I wonder how will that look ??)

or maybe on a grey color shirt ???.... that should make it look better ??....

or maybe a frame surrounding the design so that the design catches the eye easier ??...

thx... thx.....   ;D

Chad

• Offline Offline
    • Chad's Invasion Site
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2003, 02:07:41 pm »
Here are some other colors:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2003, 12:19:01 am »
Thanks for the mockups man.  I'm kind partial to the white and blue, which is unusual for me.  

_Iz-

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 01:46:05 am
  • Time to coin up!
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2003, 03:24:40 pm »
Here you go:

Is that what you were looking for?

I definitely like the front of this one. I'm torn between the cab back and the schematic back tho...

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2003, 11:05:53 pm »
Well first of all, I really like the approach Groza is taking with his designs.  Very simple and too the point.  Not sure I totally dig the text on the side.

Anyway, I don't think that the front of the t-shirt should have some huge graphic on it.  It just looks dumb in my opinion.  Too me it would seem much cooler to have the large graphic on the back of the shirt and have a small graphic front and center (breast height) on the front of the shirt. What do you guys think?  I sorta like what Iz was going with.

Groza, perhaps you could also come up with some sort of small simple graphic that just has an arcade cabinet or something for the front.

Howard, I like your schematic design.  Cool looking.  But I don't like the humongously big letters going across the front of the graphic.  It makes it a little difficult for people to see what the graphic really is...as 95% of people are going to have to stare at the schematics for a few seconds to understand what it really is...  Maybe you could try the same design but have the BYOAC text stretched across the bottom of the graphic.  That would look great!

Hey Frosty can you show us what your logo looks like when knocked down to like 5 colors or less?  It looks great now but depending on what sort of printing we go with it will could look very different on the t-shirt.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2003, 11:24:03 pm by Jakobud »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2003, 04:47:25 pm »
Howard, I like your schematic design.  Cool looking.  But I don't like the humongously big letters going across the front of the graphic.  It makes it a little difficult for people to see what the graphic really is...as 95% of people are going to have to stare at the schematics for a few seconds to understand what it really is...  Maybe you could try the same design but have the BYOAC text stretched across the bottom of the graphic.  That would look great!

Well if I removed the byoac then how exactly would it be a byoac shirt? ;)  The schematics are just a background to make the real graphic (namely the text) look more interesting.  They don't look so hot by themselves.  Also, BYOAC on the bottom is going to overpower the bottom of the shirt and thus make anyone who wears it look fat.  Trust me, nobody on this board needs any help in that department.  :)

I'm working on a smaller graphic for you wierdos who want the big graphic on the back.  It's similar to grozas but instead of a monochrome cab it's a vector drawing of one to better tie in to the whole schematic feel.  I'll post soon.  

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2003, 08:43:06 pm »

Also, BYOAC on the bottom is going to overpower the bottom of the shirt and thus make anyone who wears it look fat.  

Are you serious?

Brax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2003, 08:22:17 am »

Also, BYOAC on the bottom is going to overpower the bottom of the shirt and thus make anyone who wears it look fat.  

Are you serious?

I have a very serious suspicion that with this crowd the text won't matter. They're going to look fat REGARDLESS! Have you looked around an arcade auction? The clientelle isn't exactly runway model material!  ;D

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2014, 05:06:25 am
  • Projects: Centipede extended, Asteroids
    • Carlos' Centipede-extended
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2003, 09:36:26 am »
Also, BYOAC on the bottom is going to overpower the bottom of the shirt and thus make anyone who wears it look fat.  Trust me, nobody on this board needs any help in that department.  

Hey, at least I'am not fat!  ;) But I was never on an arcade auction, too...

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2003, 02:33:44 pm »
Speak for yourself Brax :)

RacerX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2003, 04:02:19 pm »
I have a very serious suspicion that with this crowd the text won't matter. They're going to look fat REGARDLESS! Have you looked around an arcade auction? The clientelle isn't exactly runway model material!  ;D

Having just been to an auction about a month ago, I can vouch for that!  Although, I myself am not fat, I'm also not runway model (or any other type of model) material.  And neither is Do-Rag!  There was a woman of somewhat generous proportions (in all the *wrong* places), that was buying up cabs like crazy.

Brax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2003, 07:29:56 pm »
There was a woman of somewhat generous proportions (in all the *wrong* places), that was buying up cabs like crazy.

AHHHHH! Mind image! MAKE IT STOP!!!

PamelaAndersonPamelaAndersonPamelaAndersonPamelaAnderson

Ahhhhhhhhh.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2003, 07:31:03 pm by Brax »

Distortion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2016, 04:39:20 pm
  • Saints Row 2, Sucka
    • Volition
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2003, 12:30:17 am »
I'm thinking the best thing would be to use a black shirt with H_C's schematic style on the back and frosty's logo in the corner on the front.
Game programmers do not play games for a living.  Would you say a mechanic drives cars for a living?

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2003, 01:36:54 am »
I'm thinking the best thing would be to use a black shirt with H_C's schematic style on the back and frosty's logo in the corner on the front.

yeah...maybe....I think that HC should try and submit and mini logo that goes with his better so it's consistent.

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2003, 08:52:48 am »

I think that's a bad idea - not because they are made by 2 different people, but because they look nothing alike at all.  You should try to maintain some sort of consistency if you want a front/back design.  I like t-shirts with just fronts myself.

Here is my reasoning-
Maybe if I was 18 and wore vans I'd want a huge graphic on the front and back- but I'm buying more conservative and tasteful clothing these days.  This is why I spent more time on my little joystick design than any other (which I mainly did to present a variety) - it's just a small and tasteful design.  Please don't misunderstand me - I'm not saying anyone else's isn't tasteful, that's not what I mean.  I don't bash others' designs - and we have a very positive atmosphere here  :)

Anyways - chime in with your thoughts on this, the sooner we decide
1) where
2) what kind of shirt (i'd even wear a polo-style - I could wear it at work!  ;D )
3) logo on front or logo on back or both

just my thoughts...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2003, 02:48:00 pm »

I think that's a bad idea - not because they are made by 2 different people, but because they look nothing alike at all.  You should try to maintain some sort of consistency if you want a front/back design.  I like t-shirts with just fronts myself.

Here is my reasoning-
Maybe if I was 18 and wore vans I'd want a huge graphic on the front and back- but I'm buying more conservative and tasteful clothing these days.  This is why I spent more time on my little joystick design than any other (which I mainly did to present a variety) - it's just a small and tasteful design.  Please don't misunderstand me - I'm not saying anyone else's isn't tasteful, that's not what I mean.  I don't bash others' designs - and we have a very positive atmosphere here  :)

Anyways - chime in with your thoughts on this, the sooner we decide
1) where
2) what kind of shirt (i'd even wear a polo-style - I could wear it at work!  ;D )
3) logo on front or logo on back or both

just my thoughts...

Completely agreed.  I just didn't want to say it myself because I thought some people might take i the wrong way.  I like all of the designs so far but none of them go with each other.  

also this needs a lot more work but while I'm at it.....

Pixelhugger

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 01:36:14 am
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2003, 10:34:51 pm »
Thought I'd toss my idea into the fray. Some other ideas for the copy on the back are:

control freaks.
coin optional.
press start.

Like most, I'll order one of whatever the design is.

I'm wondering why SuperZapper hasn't posted in a while. Anyone know? He'd be great at this (he designs logos and cover art for videogame magazines like PSX).
Project mega thread HERE

RacerX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2003, 12:03:01 am »
I like that a lot!  You guys amaze me with your creativity and skill on a daily basis!   :)

Ted_Striker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2016, 01:28:42 pm
  • Insert Witty Comment Here!
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2003, 12:36:14 am »
I like Frosty's design.... and I agree with his clothing assessment.  My tastes are a bit more conservative these days.

I also like the idea of a golf shirt...  that would be cool for casual friday's at the office.  A nice golf shirt with a small logo on the breast.  Or lets go way overboard and have the logo embroidered on there... Man would that be sharp.  Do any of the printing services that we are considering do the golf shirt thing?

I do like all the designs so far.  But when it comes to a vote.. I go with Frostillicus.

planetjay

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2019, 10:50:57 pm
  • Ex-Evil Admin Monkey.
    • planetjay.com
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2003, 02:51:14 pm »
Ok here's my logo.

planetjay.com. Still in Chicago. Still no hurricanes!

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2003, 02:53:26 pm »
Howard, are those schematic designs you have copyrighted?

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2003, 05:52:53 pm »
I kinda dig all of them... but I must say that pixelhuggers latest entry really caught my eye and made me think, "yeah I really want to get one if it looked like that"

*shrug*  (although i'm wondering about alternate text for the back (or no text perhaps))

rampy

Cue-Ball

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 28, 2006, 07:43:02 pm
  • Discs of Tron > *
    • Grant's Game Grid
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2003, 07:30:35 pm »
I'm going to put in my vote for Frosty's original "cartoonish" logo.  I also like the black & white logo with the larger cabinet, but Frosty's edges it out because of the good use of color.

I don't really like the "schematic" shirt.  Actually, that's not right.  I do like it, but i prefer something clean and simple.  The schematic is just too busy, in my opinion.

Pixelhuggers "start button" design is a great idea, but i'm not real fond of the font.  Too hard to read at a glance.  I prefer nice, big upper-case letters.

If i could get a black shirt with Frosty's joystick/button logo printed real large on the back, i'd buy one right now.

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2003, 02:52:25 am »
Here's a revised version- a bit more readable.
Project mega thread HERE

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2003, 03:19:23 am »
And here are a few more designs...

BTW I do like the idea of a golf shirt, and think Frosty's design would look fantastic on one.  Since I'm not a fan of the silkcreen look on anything other than a t-shirt, I'd only be interested if the logo were embroidered.
Project mega thread HERE

bloodyviking77

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2010, 07:01:38 am
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2003, 10:18:17 am »
No offence to any of you other guys, but IMO pixelhugger has taken the cake.

My fav: pixelhugger's first design (with the 1P button) front and center on a blue shirt.

second best would be the middle design in his second post.

I would definitely buy either one.

damn i wish i could use illustrator!
Shut up! Bloody Vikings!!

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2003, 11:21:18 am »
Sorry, that jpeg didn't upload properly.  ??? Here's a complete file. (I hope).
Project mega thread HERE

CustomArcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2003, 10:38:34 pm
  • Who's Your User?
    • VoodooMachine
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2003, 11:26:15 am »
OK here's mine:
"Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomically against it."

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2003, 05:18:49 pm »
I like the yellow ones.  So much so that I don't feel the need to critque them for improvements. :D  

Well ok, one thing.....  maybe stick a "www." on the address.  I dunno just personal preference but I think web addresses look funny without a www.  :)

Rom

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 12, 2021, 04:59:49 am
    • Cabinet Photo Album
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2003, 05:48:26 pm »
I'd go for Pixelhuggers middle design as well. If anything, maybe the ball needs to be a brighter red.

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2003, 09:20:48 pm »
ok my cheap attempt at a logo hehe. Not the best in here, but I'm trying to simply stay simple. Fine artists here as always nonetheless.

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2003, 12:21:26 pm »
ok here is revision 2 of mine. Ms paint aint all that bad is it? hehe. No skillz  :( :(

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2003, 12:35:43 pm »
Well there's a week left, the ideas keep coming  :).  Some good logos in this thread, and nice to see someone else using illustrations instead of letters - variety is always good.

I'm never happy with my work, I always have to tweak and tweak and make it better.  I'm sure many can sympathize - be it programming or artistic stuff.

I like this revision of my first logo more than the original.

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2003, 12:37:49 pm »
Here's another submission.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2003, 02:04:52 pm by Frostillicus »

Cue-Ball

• Offline Offline
  • Discs of Tron > *
    • Grant's Game Grid
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2003, 01:05:32 pm »
I still like your first logo submission the best, Frostillicus.  The blended letters just don't look as clean and crisp in this latest design.

_Iz-

• Offline Offline
  • Time to coin up!
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2003, 02:46:14 pm »
I'd be thrilled with pixelhuggers first design and nothing on the back...

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2003, 06:29:48 pm »
IMO I think that Pixelhugger's design(s) are the best ones.  He has several different designs and looks like he could easily come up with other variations very easily.  

I think that it would look very good to have a black t-shirt with the Lightbulb design on the front/center of chest (except loose all the words underneath BYOAC) and then on the back, have the third design as big as it can be.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2003, 01:50:33 am »
Here's another submission.

PHeww !
*Snake whisles*  :D
Very nice...I like this one best !

Magnet_Eye

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2020, 09:26:19 pm
  • Feel the heat?
    • Web Hosting deals for BYOAC Users!
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2003, 07:28:19 am »
i think Pixelhuggers designs are decent...the colors are the best part. i think if he can make some more modifications of those we might get something.

keep it up pixelhugger man.

I offer discounted WEB HOSTING to BYOAC members! Only $2.49 a month for a FULL FEATURED account! www.cloud9media.com

Cue-Ball

• Offline Offline
  • Discs of Tron > *
    • Grant's Game Grid
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2003, 01:51:08 pm »
I don't mind Pixelhuggers "joystick icon" design, but i think of the three the bottom is by far the best.  There's just something about the joystick that really bothers me.  It doesn't look like the perspective is correct.

But i still like Frostillicus' original design best.  :)

_Iz-

• Offline Offline
  • Time to coin up!
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2003, 02:37:40 pm »
There's alot of awesome art in here, makes it WAYYY too hard to pick...

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2003, 02:47:56 pm »
Yeah a lot of designs are really good, but I think that in order to help narrow down the decision of which one is best, I think you have to consider that the logo is going to be on a t-shirt...not a computer screen.  This means that it's going to get knocked down to probably 5-7 colors at the most, unless we do some sort of expensive printing.  So graphics that are simple with as few colors as possible without gradients and fancy stuff like that are going to look the best on a t-shirt (compared to what it looks like on a computer monitor).  This is why I really like Pixelhuggers designs.  They are simple, they don't have too many colors, and the final product is going to look exactly like it does on the computer screen.  Out of all the designs here, his design actually is quite open to several variations as he has shown. And they all look cool.  He has the right idea.

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2003, 02:53:06 pm »
Thanks for the cue, Cue  ;D - I think I know what your talking about, and I agree. The original joystick artwork I created was solid (not "pixelated" or icon-like) and had an exagerated perspective, especially along the front lower edge. In translating this to the block art and cropping the lower front corner, I think I missed a couple of pixels blocks which made the exagerated perspective go a bit wonky. Does either of these help? The one on the left adds the missing pixels, the one on the right adds the pixels and removes some of the exagerated perspective.
Project mega thread HERE

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2003, 03:08:23 pm »
Yeah a lot of designs are really good, but I think that in order to help narrow down the decision of which one is best, I think you have to consider that the logo is going to be on a t-shirt...not a computer screen.  This means that it's going to get knocked down to probably 5-7 colors at the most,

Jak man I wish you would get off this kick.  Now I can't talk for saint, but from teh conversations I've had with him so far it will most likely NOT be screen printed.  Also he agreed with me in the idea to get it printed based upon what suits the best design, not the other way around.  :)

BASSOFeeSH

• Offline Offline
  • TD-2779
    • Trooper Armor
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2003, 05:16:54 pm »
I think choosing the design will also depend on where it's going to go.

i.e. Just a small shirt-pocket type design vs. a huge back-of-the-tee design.

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2003, 07:32:56 pm »
Yeah a lot of designs are really good, but I think that in order to help narrow down the decision of which one is best, I think you have to consider that the logo is going to be on a t-shirt...not a computer screen.  This means that it's going to get knocked down to probably 5-7 colors at the most,

Jak man I wish you would get off this kick.  Now I can't talk for saint, but from teh conversations I've had with him so far it will most likely NOT be screen printed.  Also he agreed with me in the idea to get it printed based upon what suits the best design, not the other way around.  :)

Well I certainly hope they are not planning on going with some sort of iron-on graphics or something.  Take a look at the other thread regarding places to get things printed.  Most of the best ones on there are screen printing ones.  If you are aware of some other non-screen printing place that we can get a good deal at please share :)

Cue-Ball

• Offline Offline
  • Discs of Tron > *
    • Grant's Game Grid
« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2003, 08:52:11 pm »
Thanks for the cue, Cue  ;D - I think I know what your talking about, and I agree. The original joystick artwork I created was solid (not "pixelated" or icon-like) and had an exagerated perspective, especially along the front lower edge. In translating this to the block art and cropping the lower front corner, I think I missed a couple of pixels blocks which made the exagerated perspective go a bit wonky. Does either of these help? The one on the left adds the missing pixels, the one on the right adds the pixels and removes some of the exagerated perspective.

It still doesn't quite look right.  The perspective is just too exaggerated.  The fact that the "rear" of the stick and the "front" of the stick don't match up just looks odd to my eyes.  I think my brain expects something to be there.  I think this much of a perspective shift would look okay on a building or something, but for something as small as a joystick my mind expects it to be proportionate.

Here's a copy of your pic that i quickly (and sloppily) touched up to illustrate what i mean:

Or you could go the other way and make it more horizontal, but either way i think the front and back edges need to be a sort of mirror image of each other in order to make it look right.  This is just my $0.02 cents though, and in no way is meant to berate your work.  

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2003, 02:05:57 am »
No beratement taken  ;)  Actually your touch up illustrates your point very well. I do think a bit more horizontal perspective would look good, but given this scale and the number of blocks to work with there's something really nice about the eveness of what you did, and you're right-seeing your example, the horizontal and vertical dimensions should clearly be mirror images. Guess I was holding too close to the stylized original to see how off kilter it was becoming. Thanks for the input! If there's more interest in the design I'll make those changes accordingly.
Project mega thread HERE

Cue-Ball

• Offline Offline
  • Discs of Tron > *
    • Grant's Game Grid
« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2003, 12:39:01 pm »
I also think a more horizontal look would be better.  It's just that it was easier to show what i was talking about to do it the way i did.  Since you have source material to work with, and since you can seem to whip out these designs really quickly, i'm guessing it wouldn't be a problem for you to fix the perspective but still keep the original "style" of the design.

I guess since i'm already making a post i might as well add this:
I think the "Build your own or go broke tryin" slogan that was submitted (sorry, can't remember who it was and can't see their post as i type this) is pure genius.  I, for one, can definitely relate.

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: April 25, 2003, 01:23:19 pm »
Me too, I think my CP cost me close to $400.  :-[

And worth every dime!
Project mega thread HERE

Cue-Ball

• Offline Offline
  • Discs of Tron > *
    • Grant's Game Grid
« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2003, 01:46:58 pm »
Okay, i have a question about the whole T-shirt deal....

Are we trying to come up with a single image that is going to represent ArcadeControls.com or are we just trying to come up with an image that looks good on a T-shirt and who's proceeds will help fund the site?  I think that these are two very different goals and require very different approaches.  

If this is going to be a "logo" of sorts for the site, then it really needs to focus on the controls and/or cabinet themselves and not necessarily the games.

If the goal is to produce a T-shirt which will sell well and which BYOACers will be proud to wear, then the criteria could be quite different.  For instance, Pixelhuggers "pixelated alien" design (on a thread in the "Everything Else" forum, i think) has nothing to do with arcade controls but has garnered a lot of interest and uses an image directly associated with arcade gaming.

I guess what i'm getting at is this: If we're trying to make a logo for the site then people will be more restricted to what they can design and we'll have to settle for ONE design.  If we're trying to make some T-shirts, bumper stickers, etc then there's no real reason not to offer 2, 3 or even more designs.  Some people will want the white "Player one" design on blue.  Some will want Frostillcus' design on black.  Some may want the blue "pixelated invader" on a coffee mug, whatever.  If we're just interested in merchandise then we can easily offer up several different designs for people to choose from (which i think would be the best thing to do).

Perhaps we should be trying to make one "official" logo and then come up with other ideas for additional t-shirts and such.  What do you guys think?

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2003, 02:15:44 pm »
I think I want a hat too. :P
Project mega thread HERE

BASSOFeeSH

• Offline Offline
  • TD-2779
    • Trooper Armor
« Reply #96 on: April 25, 2003, 03:40:35 pm »
How about BYOAC-themed underroos?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2003, 05:55:13 pm by BASSOFeeSH »

Cue-Ball

• Offline Offline
  • Discs of Tron > *
    • Grant's Game Grid
« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2003, 03:50:17 pm »
I prefer to keep my "joystick" on the inside of my underwear, thanks.  ;D

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2003, 04:03:57 pm »
Why not a BYOAC store? I mean as long as we have enough orders to cover the cost of production, it seems like there's no reason not to print/make/design whatever enough people are interested in buying. Couldn't hurt funding the site...

And I really do want a baseball hat. I figure we could have a logo embroidered on hats for a total cost per order (finished hat) of under $10 with as few as 18 orders. Or make that 16 'cause I'd buy 2.
Project mega thread HERE

Cue-Ball

• Offline Offline
  • Discs of Tron > *
    • Grant's Game Grid
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2003, 04:35:33 pm »
That was kinda the same thing i was thinking.  We could have 3-5 really good, high quality designs and then people could get them on whatever they want (t-shirt, long sleeve, hooded sweatshirt, mug, sticker, whatever).  The biggest hurdle that i see is that there are very few places where you can get all of this kind of stuff made without buying a ton of it up front.  Cafepress can do most of this, but nobody seems to be very fond of them (limited color selection, so-so quality).  The only other way i can think of would be to make a poll with several finished designs and the items that they would possibly go on (maybe one poll with logos and another with items?).  Then see what people are interested in and go from there.  

No matter the decision, i'd love to see a shirt available that's either a ring tee or one of the 3/4 sleeve old-school t-shirts.

Where are you getting your figure for $10 hats with a minimum of 18?  What kind of hats?  What kind of printing?  Etc.

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
Project mega thread HERE

ButeLegz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2003, 06:23:38 pm
  • Feldman knows best.
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2003, 06:04:06 am »

G'day all! (I just rode into town on my Kangaroo, I swear.) How we doin'? This is my effort. I haven't included a bi-line or any additional slogans yet, but I figured it was finished enough to post. Me thinks it would work in any combination of colours. Maybe not purple... it's hard for a pasty white guy to look good in a bright purple t-shirt! Oh yeah, the 'O' is a stylised cabinet type thang. I'm gonna make up one of these puppies for myself regardless. It's obviously not going to be everybody's cup of tea... it's tough finding a design that pleases one client let alone a whole forum full! With that said, there's no harm in trying. My vote's with 'Build your own or go broke tryin'. Gold. BL.

- 'THEY JUMP LIKE EXCITEBIKE'
- 'I DROP MORE LINES THAN A TETRIS'
- 'WITH THE "WAX ON, WAX OFF" I'LL PLAY YOU LIKE ZAXXON'

> Quotes from Ugly Duckling's Andy Cat & Dizzy Dustin.
> Taken from 'Little Samba' & 'Friday Night' which appear on 'Journey To Anywhere' (XL Recordings).

> OBSCURE ARCADE REFERENCES OVER DOPE BEATS. GOTTA LOVE IT.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2003, 12:19:12 pm by ButeLegz »

ButeLegz

• Offline Offline
  • Feldman knows best.
« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2003, 01:01:20 pm »

Just a variation. Not sure if the display is too game specific... that could easily be a no-name space invader-esque character or just a nice nest of pixels. I dig the colours of the large logo... although I do believe hot pink is the new black. I not sure if the production of these suckers has been sorted yet, but as far as front & back goes I love the website across the back shoulders look. I remember the first time I saw a web address printed on a t-shirt it was done this way and I've been down with it ever since. If cost is an issue, and it usually is, front only makes me more than happy too. BL.

> Taken from 'Little Samba' & 'Friday Night' which appear on 'Journey To Anywhere' (XL Recordings).

« Last Edit: April 26, 2003, 02:10:05 pm by ButeLegz »

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2003, 04:18:01 pm »
Butelegz,

Some helpful criticizm if thats okay:

I don't think that anyone is going to look at that 'O' and see that it's an arcade cabinet.  You even had to tell us that it was a cabinet.

And having the joystick and buttons in there didn't make it easier either.  I don't think that 90% of everyone is going to look at those little circles and figure out that they are buttons and a joystick looking at it from a birds-eye view.

Nice try though. Overall I like the retro look of it.

I'm still sticking with Pixelhugger's designs though.

ButeLegz

• Offline Offline
  • Feldman knows best.
« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2003, 08:50:11 pm »
Cheers. I agree the cabinet is a little obscure but that's quite a deliberate decision. I guess am just used to avoiding being overly literal when it comes to logos. Kinda like how McDonalds or Nike don't have shoes & burgers in the golden arches or swoosh. Corporations tend to avoid actual products featuring highly because it narrows their appeal to one aspect of the company, rather than leaving it open to interpretation. There are exceptions of course (Burger King), and the fact the BYOAC is not a corporation... yet! Thanks again for the feedback. BL.

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2003, 07:25:26 pm »
Looks like we're nearing the deadlilne for ideas. :-\ Thought I'd post the blue invader design that's been living in the Generation Gap thread. I'm guessing most people will find it too game specific (and not control oriented enough) as well as too copyright forbidden to use for the official shirt, but I thought I'd post it here for the helluvit... especially to see if there's any interest in Cue Ball's idea of multiple products. FWIW a few of us are thinking of doing a very small run of these. This would be a VERY limited quantity 8) so if anyone is interested in being included in a possible order let me know. No guarantees it'll happen tho.

The quote is from Legomancer and can be found in its entirety here:

http://www.anti-social.co.uk/unhappy.shtml            

Obviously, he'd be contacted regarding the use of the quote if possible (although I think you can quote without permission as long as you don't misquote/misrepresent and do give credit. So the back design would have to be tweaked accordingly).
Project mega thread HERE

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2003, 07:46:51 pm »
And a final more traditional design. This one has a retro-scientific feel kinda like an old NASA mission logo. Probably of less broad appeal, I know... tho I do like how it looks so bureaucratic. ::)
Project mega thread HERE

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2003, 11:55:29 pm »
Pixel and brute, your two latest ideas won't work because there are copyright issues, eg you can't mention games or game characters as they are very much copyrighted, ESPECIALLY space invaders.  

I like the ideas for the record though.  

Zapper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2006, 10:26:01 pm
  • The enemy's gate is down
« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2003, 04:35:14 am »
Here's my design :)

"Three warps to the Bugger homeworld"

hyiu

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2003, 11:37:05 am »
too bad that "space invader" t-shirt has copyright....

I'm interested in getting if its for sale....  ;) ;D

also... too many good designs here already....
damm.... I think I'll need to buy a few.....

haaa haa haa.... love this site.....  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Rahzel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2023, 07:45:11 pm
  • MAME4LiFE
« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2003, 06:51:25 am »
I put a lot of thought and work into it

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2003, 01:01:27 pm »
...and apparently alot of gold jewelry too

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: May 03, 2003, 01:57:25 pm »
Zapper- I like that blueprint-like bar across the bottom, and the Insert Coin graphic is great too.  :D
Project mega thread HERE

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2003, 09:44:25 am »
Looking good, everyone, who submitted so far - some good stuff all around this thread :)

Zapper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2003, 12:52:01 am »
Here's a blue version of my design. If it's too complicated for T-shirt printing I could always simplify it, sorry I'm hooked on gradations. Great designs Pixelhugger! :)

CitznFish

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2023, 12:36:44 pm
  • www.subvertcity.com - Prof. Strength Slackwear
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2003, 02:07:15 am »
Zapper, how would it look if the Insert Coin was touching the 'C'?  Maybe like an additional letter?

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2003, 06:45:02 pm »
Thanks, Zapper. :) Great design yourself. I really like the blue revision you just posted. Would look great on black - even tho I usually prefer white. I just really like the blueprint feel.

Saaaaaay, you wouldn't happen to be John McKechnie would you?  ???
Project mega thread HERE

Zapper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2003, 11:10:13 pm »
Good idea Citzn, I'll look into a connected coin button version.

Where did you dig that info up from Pixel, you're not a cyber stalker are you?  :o

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2003, 03:28:54 am »
Well if by stalker you mean I frequently spent valuable company time at the direct expense of corporate America lurking about his Sommycade site gathering info and inspiration for my control panel project then, yeah, I guess so.  ;D

Actually, it's just that McKechnie's Robotron 3000 project and Sommycade site were what got me into all this a while ago. That was years back when it was really rare to see someone build something *better* than the arcade.  His control panel is still my favorite example after the hundreds I've seen. The artwork just blew me away and convinced me a graphically well designed project could be arcade perfect. I thought his name was Zapper, so putting 2 and 2 together....figured I'd ask. Ironic too, since he did such good design work  :P

On the other hand, if he really IS you and I've accidentally blown your cover, I truly am sorry and hope you're not in the witness protection program or anything. Now get that Sommycade site back up! ::)
Project mega thread HERE

Zapper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2003, 07:03:11 pm »
Thanks Pixel! Sommycade was my site, I'll revive it as Zappercade sometime this summer.  :)  A few years back I was inspired to make the Robotron control panel after seeing cool projects like the Roswell 88201 cabinet.

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #120 on: May 19, 2003, 09:59:41 pm »
Ah, that Roswell project! IMOHO Roswell is to cabinets what your Robotron is to control panels. :P Sort of an early itteration of 1UP's masterpiece. It's really amazing to see how things just keep getting better. I'll be looking forward to the Zappercade revival and lurking around on the company dime! ;) Here's a pic of where your CP led me. I'm sure you'll see the heavy Robotron3000 influence in the shape and layout. :o  

Sorry for the OT rambling everyone  :-[  
Project mega thread HERE

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #121 on: May 19, 2003, 10:51:41 pm »
Back on topic... When are we deciding on a shirt design?

And semi-off topic... I'm hoping to do a run of hats with the following design. If Saint/the powers that be don't object to the BYOAC reference, I'd like to go forward. I'd need 16 orders to make it possible. Price would be roughy $8.50 - $14 per hat (depending on brand) which is at cost, no markup. If there's a lot of interest, I'd like to mark 'em up a bit to donate the profits to Saint. Colors and exact hat style to be determined - hat color MIGHT be changeable on an individual basis tho logo color wouldn't. These would be cotton baseball hats - "unstructured" (which means they don't have that bulgy prosthetic forehead lining thingy in front). The design would be embroidered in 2-3 colors (1 for the majority of the logo, 1(lighter) for the joystick, and white for the BYOAC. The joystick would be redrafted to avoid copyright/design infringement w/Happs. Please look past the really bad roughed up lo rez comp below... this is only to give a general idea of what it would look like.

16 orders and it's a go if Saint gives the green light. :)   If you're ready to order email or PM me.

FWIW those who are interested in the invader design-I'm still trying to make that shirt run happen...this is just easier.  :P
Project mega thread HERE

Zapper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #122 on: May 21, 2003, 04:10:22 am »
I made a variation of my blue logo with the coin slot connected with the BYOAC part. It's just a test, I'm not sure if I like it more than the original yet.

Nice panel Pixel. The wood finish, blue background and the designs around the joysticks and trackball give it a nautical look.

White Logo Test
Black Logo Test

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #123 on: May 22, 2003, 02:17:38 pm »
6 of one half dozen of the other  :P I like both - actually maybe I prefer the one with a bit of separation between the C and the coin slot. Either way it looks good. I def. prefer the design on black - notwithstanding the fact that I've always felt black t shirts are the exclusive domain of heavy metal tour shirts.
Project mega thread HERE

hyiu

• Offline Offline
« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2003, 11:40:41 am »
Is there a decision yet ???

Saint and other hosts of BYOAC made a decision on what designs to use yet ??

Summer is coming !!!   ;) ;) ;D ;D

mastercave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 07, 2003, 10:48:57 am
  • single player cp only
« Reply #125 on: June 09, 2003, 02:56:40 am »
here's what i would pay for if these designs were available in a color i like:

that cap, but hopefully the adjustment strap isnt gonna be that cheap plastic button thing (the only thing stopping me from wearing it too much would be the atom swirls on it, makes it look like we're a bunch of nerds and geeks...which we're not, right???)
zapper's blue design on white
pixel's last design, the one thats in a neat little box, on black

c'mon someone do something with these designs so i could go out and spread the joy of our hobby!!

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #126 on: June 12, 2003, 02:21:07 am »
Mastercave -  The hats would be very high quality washed or brushed cotton twill/canvas. The strap would be fabric or leather with a brass adjustment clasp. The atomic design has be nixed by the embroiderer as it exceeds the capabilities of the machines to stitch - lettering is too small :-\ I'm now thinking of doing either the 1 player button design or some variant of the joystick logos I've posted in this thread. Hat color would almost certainly be changable per order. Woo hoo!
Project mega thread HERE

mastercave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 07, 2003, 10:48:57 am
  • single player cp only
« Reply #127 on: June 14, 2003, 01:42:45 am »
Mastercave -  The hats would be very high quality washed or brushed cotton twill/canvas. The strap would be fabric or leather with a brass adjustment clasp. The atomic design has be nixed by the embroiderer as it exceeds the capabilities of the machines to stitch - lettering is too small :-\ I'm now thinking of doing either the 1 player button design or some variant of the joystick logos I've posted in this thread. Hat color would almost certainly be changable per order. Woo hoo!

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo....that joystick logo on a cap would be so cool!!! i hope you can toss that in there if more people like it too!

johnws

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 05, 2003, 02:49:21 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #128 on: July 05, 2003, 04:52:45 am »
I'm not sure how old this thread is (I already starting posting so I don't feel like going back to check the dates  ;D), but a lot of professional sites actually use cafeshops.com for their merchandise. Ever hear of Digital Blasphemy? They use it and they say on their main page that they've had "good luck" with them in the past. You should check them out; you can open a store and sell as little or as much of any of the products they offer as you want. Again, sorry if this is too late  ;D

edit:
I'd just like to add, that you may be thinking of another way to product your T-Shirts to a:) make more profit (since i'm assuming you are buying in bulk), and b:) selling them for your own price (in case you think their prices are too expensive). But you could also use cafeshops on the side, for the rare customers that would like a BYOAC Clock, Mouse Pad, Hat, Coffee Mug etc. But whatever, suggestions are only suggestions!  ;D

edit #2: (sorry its nearly 5am and I have nothing better to do, well, than sleep  ;))
you could alsoooo use it to have backup designs. like 10 other designs, so the customer gets to choose which one they like best. remember, cafeshops has equipment set up that creates the products on a per order basis, sso you don't have to pay any start-up fees or anything like that. and NO i am not affiliated with cafeshops.com, and there may be sites 100x better out there for all i know. I just like to input ideas.

P.S.
that original logo with the button for the 'O', very cool  ;D
Also the original cartoony style logo. (sorry I don't remember the names of the creators).

P.S.S
I'm a newb, I know it, flame me all you want if there's anything you don't like, and congrats for reading all of this jibberish!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2003, 05:03:30 am by johnws »

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #129 on: July 05, 2003, 12:50:04 pm »
That cafepress.com seems pretty interesting to me.

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #130 on: July 05, 2003, 06:48:49 pm »
Cafepress.com looks like a no risk way to make the most popular items available.
No up front investment and there could be more than one chosen design.  Sure
it costs a bit more but it is convenient.

BobA

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #131 on: July 05, 2003, 08:36:20 pm »
It's convenient and the prices are still not bad at all.

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: July 31, 2003, 05:24:58 pm »

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo....that joystick logo on a cap would be so cool!!! i hope you can toss that in there if more people like it too!

The final hat design (joystick logo) is now available and I'm taking orders. Head over to this thread-  http://www.arcadecontrols.org/yabbse/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=10270                                                        

Obviously this has nothing to do with the t-shirt.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2003, 07:28:33 pm by Pixelhugger »
Project mega thread HERE

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #133 on: September 10, 2003, 05:17:52 pm »
OT - hat looks kickass and I can't wait to get mine.

On topic...I just finished a controls.dat logo, which I think looks pretty cool.  Anyway it gave me an idea for a new big logo for BYOAC.  Actually it will be more of a t-shirt design than logo...I'll post it when I finish it.

MarkTheBozo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2003, 03:41:20 pm
Why not other items...
« Reply #134 on: September 28, 2003, 03:44:01 pm »
Why not sell other things. All I have seen is shirts and hats... How about this...

Brax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: September 28, 2003, 09:44:21 pm »
Ooo, sign me up for one of those hats!

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #136 on: October 28, 2003, 09:41:07 am »
I love the multi colored one, that is incredible. Very professional looking! I would wear it. Put that on the back of the shirt with a small BYOAC on front pocket area.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

nighthawk2099

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2015, 04:01:16 pm
  • I LIKE TATER-TOTS!
    • IRONMAME
« Reply #137 on: October 28, 2003, 12:44:48 pm »
I vote Multi Color as well.... Just seems to jump out at ya....

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: October 28, 2003, 04:44:03 pm »
Nice work Frosty. I love the cartoony effect. And great work on the control images...those all vector?
Project mega thread HERE

tmasman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2024, 03:50:44 pm
  • Hello...
    • My (no so up to date) Home
« Reply #139 on: October 28, 2003, 04:51:06 pm »
I saw all the custom controls you had in there (Atari cone buttons, Tron stick, etc..)
All you are missing is the SW Yolk! Maybe set it up sideways & replace the "E" in Arcade with it...

hehe...

It does look good though...

Maybe we could use "Would you like to push my buttons?" as a slogon on the back with a simple joystick & 3 or 4 button layout...

That would be great...
I'm not a freak!...
Oh wait...
Yes I am...

Nannuu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2022, 11:55:21 pm
  • Anytime now, I'll start my cabinet
    • Will and Liliana's Projects and Family Photos
« Reply #140 on: October 28, 2003, 11:14:43 pm »
Wow Frosty!  If someone makes that shirt I'm buying it!  Very well done.
Next I'll be on fries, and that's when the big money starts rolling in.

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #141 on: October 29, 2003, 07:33:38 am »
Hey thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words! :)

Yeah I like the multicolored one as well, in fact I printed out a few tabloid sized and they make great wall posters!  This is really more of a t-shirt design than a logo I suppose, but maybe I can make something matching that's much smaller, like an actual logo in case people would want this on the back and something small on the front, like eightbit mentioned.  

Pixelhugger - they started as vector, but then I just ended up doing everything in photoshop.  Nice and sharp, though, which is all that matters :)

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #142 on: November 04, 2003, 10:03:57 pm »
We made it a t-shirt :) Please see the front page news item on this.

Here's the thread.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 05:13:22 pm by Frostillicus »

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #143 on: November 04, 2003, 11:00:23 pm »
Frosty they look great! I ordered mine, I hope everyone else does the same.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #144 on: November 05, 2003, 05:07:55 pm »
Excellent stuff! Frosty - a big huge round of applause for taking the ball and running with it. I had no idea this, "how you say Z...A...Z...Z...L...E" thing existed. Beats the freakin pants off screen printing costs. I was a bit skeptical until I saw the images and read about their process. No edge around the image. No decal like puckering. Just ink infused thread. Amazing.
Project mega thread HERE

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: November 06, 2003, 09:34:45 pm »
Just ordered mine. Even got my wife's OK to spend the money  ::)
Project mega thread HERE

SOAPboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 01, 2009, 03:36:12 am
  • ..::GeeK::..
« Reply #146 on: October 18, 2004, 06:20:32 am »

id acually buy that one..

its simple, says what it needs, and its not overly flashy. its big enough people will get the point tho its not going to jump out and slap someone..

* SOAPboy shrugs..