Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New thread... Post "finished" designs here....  (Read 81839 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
New thread... Post "finished" designs here....
« on: March 28, 2003, 07:42:26 pm »
Since the threads are getting cluttered with comments on printing methods ect... I thought I would start a fresh one for people to quickly go in and view the images.  

So first the black.....

Now for those of you who like white t-shirts I simply inverted the image.  You may think this is the lazy way out (and it is  :) ) but artistically speaking warmer colors look best on black shirts and cooler colors look best on white ones.  Without further delay:  

I am also working on complementary images to go on pockets, on the back ect.....  I will post those when done.  

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
Re:New thread... Post "finished" designs here....
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2003, 07:47:18 pm »
Those are nice howard - I actually like the white one more, though the text would need to be cleaned up to get rid of the blue circles.  But aren't those Happ images? meaning...copyrighted?  I'm not trying to give offense - I really like using the schematic views as images - but it might go against Saint's guidelines.   I just notice these things more since we have to really cover our  @ss at work  :-[
EDIT: hmm...I say nevermind on this for now- like Brax said. we can figure this all out at a later time. But it's good to be aware of it, at least.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2003, 10:49:23 am by Frostillicus »

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2003, 08:03:07 pm »
Ok I guess these 2 are finished:

The original also had a 'cartoonish' look to it, but still looks good I think:

« Last Edit: March 28, 2003, 08:07:08 pm by Frostillicus »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2003, 08:07:12 pm »
They are happs images, but they are installation diagrams and thus freely distributable.  (Also to my knowledge you can't copyright a mechanical draft, just any ideas expressed in said draft.)  However if they were to complain I can easily make my own drafts.  It just seems silly to me as they would turn out looking exactly the same.  

**Edit**  

I looked on happs site to verify my suspicions and it appears I am correct.  All portions of their site/manuals/ect that they don't wish for you to distribute have a copyright notice or watermark attached.  All of the images I used, however,  do not have these notices so it can be assumed that they are meant for public use.  This would make sense as if it was copyrighted you couldn't "legally" print out the templates to cut your holes with.  However, I would be willing to talk to happs to make it official if it were to make people feel more at ease.  

« Last Edit: March 28, 2003, 09:01:25 pm by Howard_Casto »

Brax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2003, 08:13:55 pm »
The designs are very likely proprietary and therefore not reproducable legally, but whatever.

Lets keep the chatter to a minimum and just have lots of cool pics. We can debate the elgibility of designs elsewhere. :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2003, 08:15:55 pm by Brax »
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

Distortion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2016, 04:39:20 pm
  • Saints Row 2, Sucka
    • Volition
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2003, 12:38:05 am »
Hey frost, the cartoon one would probably work out best for a t-shirt design since screen printing requires the use of 1 color at a time.
Game programmers do not play games for a living.  Would you say a mechanic drives cars for a living?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2003, 02:32:55 am »
Hey frost, the cartoon one would probably work out best for a t-shirt design since screen printing requires the use of 1 color at a time.

That makes no difference as so far the top two printing services we are looking at don't do screen printing.  I'll say it one final time, make the logo any way you want it and when we pick the winner we will worry about color pallette issues.  

Groza

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2004, 11:19:06 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2003, 01:35:40 pm »
I really like Howard_Casto's white t-shirt design with the diagrams, I would buy a shirt right now if thats what it looked like (on the back of the shirt)

I have a good image that I made, but I dont have a site to post it on. could I e-mail it to someone and they could post it?
 Thanks

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2003, 02:51:51 pm »
I really like Howard_Casto's white t-shirt design with the diagrams, I would buy a shirt right now if thats what it looked like (on the back of the shirt)

I have a good image that I made, but I dont have a site to post it on. could I e-mail it to someone and they could post it?
 Thanks

File uploading has been approved on this forum so simply upload it here, after you do when can click on the link it creates and view it.  

RacerX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2022, 12:06:34 pm
  • Longtime member, sometime poster.
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2003, 03:52:04 pm »

Thanks

Here you go.  Groza said he's open to criticism.  Howard, how do you upload to the site?  Do you use the "Attach:" text box at the bottom of the screen when posting a message?

BASSOFeeSH

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2009, 12:46:42 am
  • TD-2779
    • Trooper Armor
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2003, 05:27:10 pm »
I just showed an interested co-worker howard's design and he said "holy crap!  You need schematics to build this stuff!?"

powerslave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2003, 09:39:43 pm
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2003, 03:36:08 pm »
I just showed an interested co-worker howard's design and he said "holy crap!  You need schematics to build this stuff!?"

schematics?? i wasnt issued any..  see,the new guy is always left outta the loop..  :(

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2003, 04:11:33 pm »

That was the original idea.  People seem to think this hobby is FAR more complex than it is, so I thought I would go with it.  :)

BASSOFeeSH

• Offline Offline
  • TD-2779
    • Trooper Armor
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2003, 05:04:20 pm »
For those of us that haven't already built something its damn funny, but it could be a turn off for someone thinking about getting into the hobby.

powerslave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2003, 09:39:43 pm
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2003, 01:55:59 am »
I just started in on the hobby..  my next step is to plan the computer.. I have the controls,cab,wiring,and the voices in my head to keep me goin..  :)

kspiff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2016, 09:15:36 pm
  • Love of the game, baby.. love of the game..
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2003, 07:31:16 am »
I would just like to comment that I like Frosty's design because it has convex buttons :o

Go Frosty! ;D
k-spiff

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2003, 05:49:48 am »

Thanks

Here you go.  Groza said he's open to criticism.  Howard, how do you upload to the site?  Do you use the "Attach:" text box at the bottom of the screen when posting a message?

yeah, use the attach area, click on browse to find the file.

BTW, don't use a cabinet like that, I've seen what it is based off of ;)  Use a classic lookingish cab (to avoid copyrights).  Heck, use the generic cab that alot of games used (like SF2 and double dragon 2)  But I like that idea.

RacerX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2003, 02:36:26 pm »

yeah, use the attach area, click on browse to find the file.

BTW, don't use a cabinet like that, I've seen what it is based off of ;)  Use a classic lookingish cab (to avoid copyrights).  Heck, use the generic cab that alot of games used (like SF2 and double dragon 2)  But I like that idea.

I agree about using a more classic looking cab.  But I really like Groza's idea.  I took the image that Groza sent me and made it white on black (the negative of the above image), and it looks cool.  It would be great for a black t-shirt.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2003, 05:06:27 pm »
Well there is another issue.  Unless I'm mistaken (and there is a slight chance of that)  that image is based upon my komani cabinet model for 3darcade.  :)   Read your disclaimer....  conversion for use in a public distrobution is prohibited without the orignal author's concent.  

That's not to say I won't give you permission, but it would be nice to be asked first.  

Brax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2003, 06:09:15 pm »
Well there is another issue.  Unless I'm mistaken (and there is a slight chance of that)  that image is based upon my komani cabinet model for 3darcade.  :)   Read your disclaimer....  conversion for use in a public distrobution is prohibited without the orignal author's concent.  

That's not to say I won't give you permission, but it would be nice to be asked first.  
Holy bad grammar and spelling Batman! (not to mention ego) You may be right, but it's 15 lines. Any monkey could have drawn it.

Groza

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2003, 06:28:43 pm »
actually the design is based off of the arcade shopper cabinet, which is based off of the konami 4-player cabs like x-men or TMNT. I could do a design for a more classic cab, but a lot of people here have newer looking upright cabs. I'll still make some other designs though.

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2003, 08:09:30 pm »
well this thread is getting a bit clogged - maybe we should start a new one with no words whatsoever.
This is my take on a black/white idea - much simpler than my other ones, and with less boobs   :P  a lot of people like this slogan.  The cabinet could be changed to a more popular shape, I just used my 2-piece since it was already modeled in 3dstudio.

EDIT I deleted the large picture - see my later post for different versions.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 09:09:48 pm by Frostillicus »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2003, 08:16:19 pm »

Holy bad grammar and spelling Batman! (not to mention ego) You may be right, but it's 15 lines. Any monkey could have drawn it.

Holy butt-in's batman!!  Since when was it any of your concern?  When you have something related to the thread to add  then please respond, otherwise please keep your idiotic, flame-starting, comments to yourself!!!!!!!!  

And I didn't draw it, I made the model for  3darcade.  There is a BIG difference.  (15 minutes of work vs 8 hours of work)

But apparently it was from another source, so I apologize to Groza.  Sorry about that man.  I might want to look into arcade shopper though, as the design as the same non-konami flaw that I put in my cabinet model by mistake.  It may be nothing, it just seems really odd.   :)

Groza

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2003, 12:37:13 am »
The whole idea of my control panel being blank is because you have to build it. I'm trying to show a basic design, because once you get into deatails, everyone wants to argue. Anyway, here is another design. I'ts kind of small and not as good as the last one, but if you like it, let me know and i'll make a better version.

RacerX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2003, 12:46:21 am »
The whole idea of my control panel being blank is because you have to build it. I'm trying to show a basic design, because once you get into deatails, everyone wants to argue. Anyway, here is another design. I'ts kind of small and not as good as the last one, but if you like it, let me know and i'll make a better version.

I like it!  I do also very much like the slogan, "Game not over."

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2003, 03:48:38 am »
Yeah, I like the more classic looking cab better.

That huge CP is just not pretty.

Brax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2003, 06:04:37 am »
The monitor is in the wrong orientation.
 ;)

Groza

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2003, 04:32:25 pm »
okay, the monitor should be horzontal orientation because MOST projects are that way, I'm trying to appeal to the norm. To me the small control panel looks inferior (especially when this site is based off of controls, not just cabinets), and most of the old cabs looked top heavy (like they were about to tip over). anyway, all of the logos are only getting opinions from the very few who visit this forum. MORE INPUT=BETTER LOGO
There should be a notice at the TOP of the front page about this forum.

I'm not trying to be an @$$ hole, just want to give some suggestions/ideas.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2003, 06:20:19 pm »
I like frosty's version better.  With the BYOAC on the side like that it makes you want to look over to the left.  Frosty's keeps your eyes more centered.  However, no offsense frosty but I think you should ditch the slogans while your ahead.  They are just generic (and nobody can decide on a non-generic one) which makes me think bland t-shirt, even though the design itself isn't bland.

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2003, 08:39:03 pm »
I like frosty's version better.  With the BYOAC on the side like that it makes you want to look over to the left.  Frosty's keeps your eyes more centered.  However, no offsense frosty but I think you should ditch the slogans while your ahead.  They are just generic (and nobody can decide on a non-generic one) which makes me think bland t-shirt, even though the design itself isn't bland.
Heh heh - none taken.  I am obsessed with slogans.  but hey my design up near the top doesn't have one....
What about these

« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 09:10:37 pm by Frostillicus »

Chad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2003, 07:46:59 pm
  • 'There's no place like 127.0.0.1' :thinkgeek.com
    • Chad's Invasion Site
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2003, 11:16:07 am »
I just think this is a good looking shirt.

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't" :thinkgeek.com

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2003, 11:59:09 am »

FWIW you could soooo easily hand screenprint that... or get a 1 color screenprint like that done cheaply in bulk... *shrug*

although if people don't like it, best.. what's the point =P

rampy

Brax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2003, 12:34:54 pm »
How soon before we get to vote?
Is anyone else working on a design? Any point to waiting longer?

I have my favorite, but to be honest I really don't like the other designs. I think we need to ask two questions:

Which design do you like best?
Would you actually BUY it?

I don't think I'd buy one of the other designs if they're picked over my favorite.

Chad

• Offline Offline
    • Chad's Invasion Site
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2003, 12:51:05 pm »
My brother owns a screen printing company in Texas and can print them for:

12 @ $8.00 each
25 @ $7.00 each
31 @ $6.00 each
100 @ $5.00 each
200 @ $4.75 each
201- above@ $4.50 each

They use very high quality shirts, too.
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't" :thinkgeek.com

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2003, 02:27:29 pm »
Here are my designs on black t-shirts -  in the next post is a blank t-shirt for others to use.

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2003, 02:28:23 pm »
blank black t-shirt (say that three times fast  :) )

Chad

• Offline Offline
    • Chad's Invasion Site
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2003, 02:54:03 pm »
Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...
Man they all look good.

We can still get them made at my brothers shop.

Screen Graphics
310 N Collegiate Dr
Paris, TX 75460

BASSOFeeSH

• Offline Offline
  • TD-2779
    • Trooper Armor
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2003, 03:11:33 pm »

I just inversed the image, but I think both look good.  I prefer the black though.

I also like Frostillicus' logos.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2003, 03:11:58 pm by BASSOFeeSH »

RacerX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2003, 03:56:32 pm »
I prefer the black shirt too.  And I also happen to really like Groza's design.  It's simple, but cool.

That being said, I also like Frosty's and Howard's designs.

Of course, I'll buy a shirt no matter whose logo is picked, especially if a portion of the proceeds go to help pay Saint's web hosting bill.

hyiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2003, 05:18:51 pm »
I WILL BUY...

a black t-shirt...
with the BYOAC (the left of the 3 shirt...)
but the image shrink to like pocket size...
and the back has Howard's design....

can anyone combine a image for that ??...

I think that will look MIGHTY cool.....
 ;D ;D ;D
Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p