Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Control Panel completed!  (Read 2963 times)

masterosok

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2009, 09:51:18 pm
Control Panel completed!
« on: May 01, 2009, 07:26:25 pm »
I have decided to start a CP project.

Its gonna be a 2 player CP with 2 8 way joysticks for each player... standard fighter button config with the angled neo-geo button. One dedicated 4 way stick with 4 side buttons, and a trackball with 3 side buttons.

I plan on making the buttons, trackball and joystick illuminated.

I am not very good with woodworking so I am getting a CP kit from mameroom.com. However I am open to suggestions.

I am also curious where the best places are to find the parts I need.

Here is the layout I am considering however if anyone has any advise it would be greatly appreciated..

Edit: picture deleted from photobucket.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 01:47:35 pm by masterosok »

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 05:35:40 pm
Re: starting a CP... looking for advise
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 10:45:29 pm »
You don't need the trackball/mouse buttons.  Also, 4 buttons for the 4-way seems excessive.  Super Punch-Out!! is the only game I can think of that requires 4 buttons.  2 is probably enough but there are a handful of games that use 3.   :cheers:

masterosok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 11:34:39 am »
I have a noobish question.

If I want to make the buttons and joysticks illuminated I will need to get the LED Wiz. Will that also handle the controls output or do I need to get a different device for that? If I do need another device what is recommend so the layout I posted previously.

Also I am having trouble finding a vendor for the parts I need. GGG seems popular around here but they are sold out of all the illuminated buttons and I didnt see any of the joystick shafts wired with LEDs for sale. Does anyone know of a good vendor that has these items in stock?

Thanks in advance.

masterosok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 06:33:38 pm »
Will an externally powered usb hub be enough to power this system or do I need something else?

Endaar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2015, 07:18:45 am
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 08:38:14 pm »
The LED-Wiz is lighting only. GGG has a LED-Wiz+GP which does both. I believe you'll need a 5v power source for more than a few buttons; you can pull that from your PC's power supply.

And yeah, GGG is/has been sold out of the lit buttons for a bit now. Not sure what to tell you there as I'm waiting for a bunch myself.

Endaar

masterosok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 10:11:21 am »
When you say from my PC's power supply do you mean via usb or am I going to have to so some sort of wire mod to connect it directly. The CP wont really be that close to the PC so if thats the case I am going to have to come up with something else.  Any Ideas?.. I think I have a spare 250watt PSU in my closet.

Thanks for the info!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 10:13:26 am by masterosok »

Endaar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2015, 07:18:45 am
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 05:41:23 pm »
You can get 5v from a molex connector on your power supply; these are the plugs you would normally use to power a drive. I don't see any reason you couldn't use a reasonable length of appropriate guage wire to run from the PSU to the CP. There are other threads on here about getting accessory power off of the power supply; I haven't gotten this far yet in my build.

masterosok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 01:47:01 pm »
I know its been a while ( been in the process of buying a house) but I just wanted to show off the finished product. I can't take credit for the woodwork but here is the control panel completed. I just want to thank everyone that helped me with their valuable advice. I learned a lot.

Furture additions: I plan on mounting some holsters on both sides for 2 EMS TopGun IIs once I am ready to buy them.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 01:48:40 pm by masterosok »

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
Re: Control Panel completed!
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 05:03:18 pm »
looks nice...good job
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade