Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Emdec-01 : Pixel Assault (Project)  (Read 13199 times)

Organic Jerk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2013, 12:39:09 am
  • I'm per pixel lit.
    • OmeshPersaud.com
Emdec-01 : Pixel Assault (Project)
« on: November 27, 2006, 09:59:14 pm »
EMDEC-01 : PIXEL ASSAULT

(EMDEC stands for : Electronic Multiple Design Entertainment Console)

(Name or Acronym not confirmed as final)

Well, here's my attempt at making a mame+ machine.  Ultimately I'm going to have a site archiving all the progress, but I would definitely love comments and critiques on my design and such as it progresses.

--------------------------------------------------
Emulators/Sections included so far:
MAME
- Neo Geo
Neo Geo Pocket/Color
NES
SNES
Genesis
Game Gear
GB
GBC
GBA
Atari 2600
Lynx
PSX
Media Center (Meedio)

PC Games included so far:
Doom (It's own section with various mods/wads)
Tiger Woods 2005
DDR 1-8+ (Stepmania)
In The Groove 1&2
Brian Lara's International Cricket 2005
Duke Nukem Manhattan Project
Virtual Pool 3
Bejeweled 2
Crazy Taxi
Grid Wars 2
Guilty Gear XX reload
Hamsterball Gold
Hyperbowl
Incredible Hulk
TMNT2003
Lego Star Wars 2
Star Wars: Starfighter
Virtua Tennis
Jazz Jackrabbit 2
Ragdoll Masters
Star Monkey
Starscape
Tsunami 2010
Warning Forever
Zuma
Virtual Pool 3
Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast
Mortal Kombat Project
House of the Dead 2
House of the Dead 3
Duck Doom Deluxe

Cabinet Design:
I have a previous thread where I showed my buying an MvC cab for Maming (here)... ultimately because of stupidity and size issues (doorway was about half an inch too small) , I had to take it apart, but I'm keeping the same basic base design as a starting point with new wood, while adding an edited Lusid control panel.. 

The control panel is for the most part finished, but I would love any comments for work on the base structure..

Logo Design Progress:
Design is still being worked on, so its purely B/W so far... I would love some comments on color for when I start to work on it..

New link for art thread: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=63263.0

GUI(Mala) Design Progress:
As the logo, design is still being worked on.  The theme used is a modified "Gameex" theme for Mala, and the BG is temporarily using that Space BG that everyone seems to love ( I couldn't help myself)  Something else I would love comments on..

New link for art thread: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=63263.0

Current PC used:

DELL Dimension 2400
Pentium 4 1.7Ghz
768mb RAM
40gb HD1 (Boot Drive)
80gb HD2 (Content Drive)
Lite-On DVD-ROM drive
Geforce 4 Ti4600 128mb
Sound Blaster Live
TinyXP Beast Edition
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 01:34:26 am by OrganicJerk »

Progress Rate:  Moderate      ||      Threads:  Cabinet  |  Art  |  MaLa Layout
XBL: OrganicJerk  |  PSN: OrganicJerk

dkammer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 14, 2007, 06:09:22 pm
  • Home Cinema Designer
    • www.designcinema.com
Re: (Project) EMDEC-01 : PIXEL ASSAULT
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 10:39:04 pm »
I would assume you would want DAPHNE (laser disk game emulator...Dragon's Lair and the like) on there as well.

Darren
Darren Kammer
President - Design Cinema Privee of Dallas
www.designcinema.com

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 11:06:47 pm »
Personally, I think it would be easier to remove/reattach a door's frame than to build a machine from scratch... but what do I know?  :dunno

I do like the look of that cabinet, though. Good luck.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 11:45:04 pm »
Personally, I think it would be easier to remove/reattach a door's frame than to build a machine from scratch... but what do I know?  :dunno

I do like the look of that cabinet, though. Good luck.

I agree - take the door frame out or go through a window?

Either way... good luck!

Organic Jerk

• Offline Offline
  • I'm per pixel lit.
    • OmeshPersaud.com
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 12:18:05 am »
Well unfortunately it's going into a basement that has tiny windows and the door frame  is HEAVILY reinforced/weatherproofed...  I took out everything I could and it was THEN half an inch too big..  so yeah..

Either way it's in pieces already so its moot.  I'm keeping all the original pieces btw... I have no idea why but I just can't bear to throw them away.

As far as Daphne is concerned, I've never worked with the emu for it, or have any idea where to get the media... but it is one of the things I wanted to delve into after I finish the majority of the work..  I figure the only way I could make it work how I want to is dumping cd/dvd images on a drive, so I would have to buy a new HD to do that..

----------------------------------
Control Panel info:
(Franken-panel haters, it would probably be better if you look away....)

2 players with 8 play buttons and 2 function buttons each with Happ Competition 8-way per player
3 buttons on top for Enter, Exit, and "Other" (ie:pause)
Happ USB/PS2 Trackball
EZArcadeSolutions Spinner (may be replaced later)
4 shared buttons for TB, Sp (2 set as mouse buttons)
2 pinball buttons (1 on each side)
Psx controller port on each side for 3rd and 4th player (or second control set for 1st and 2nd for 2player games)
3 port USB hub on back right for mp3 player jukebox, etc...

Yeah.. it's a beast...  I'll probably make a second/better one down the line as I get more confident in what I can lose... but this seems good... no?

Thanks for the well wishes!  :)

(If you're wondering why the wood is white... it's just primer...)

EDIT: revised button layout info..
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 05:19:04 am by OrganicJerk »

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 07:26:01 am »
Looks good so far.  Any specific reason you went with 8 action buttons per player?  Just curious - I'm used to seeing the "Street Fighter" 6 button layout with maybe a 7th button to get the Neo Geo layout.

Also, how did you flush mount the joysticks and trackball plate?  Did you have a template or is that freehand?  Nice work!

edge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 30, 2023, 11:56:46 am
  • AttractMode and GroovyArcade rock!
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 08:48:41 am »
Organic -  Is that a Mala skin you developed?  Looks nice and crisp. 

Organic Jerk

• Offline Offline
  • I'm per pixel lit.
    • OmeshPersaud.com
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 12:02:46 pm »
Any specific reason you went with 8 action buttons per player?....
Also, how did you flush mount the joysticks and trackball plate?  Did you have a template or is that freehand?  Nice work!

Well as far as the buttons are concerned, I went 8 for two reasons..

One being that I wanted to be able to comfortably accomodate as many platforms as I can...for example, the psx alone has 8 buttons..

Two being that I like perfectly symmetrical designs where I can help it... for example, comfortable (both visual and practical) placement of the spinner was hard for me because it broke the perfect symmetry of the entire piece... but I still think it works =P...  I mean of course visual balance can be acheived without symmetry, but with this I just wanted it as uniform as possible I guess..

The joystick mounting was done by pretty much measuring the depth needed, plotting straightedges and routing it out.  I'm not really much of a woodworker and I have close to nil tools (aside from the home standards of hammer, power drill, etc) so my friend, who is coincidentally great, helps me out...  The first joystick's recession is nowhere near as snug as the second, but eh.. (This is due to the fact that his router's inherent measuring is off... so we had to account for how off it was...)

As far as template/layout.. For holes and object measurements I worked from Lusid's templates off his site. I worked on the entire CP designs first in this layout software by mameroom, then editing that in Photoshop to my liking, and finally by actually measuring and drawing out the whole thing on oak tag paper beforehand.  Although it's all covered with primer now, the wood has all kinds of lines and measurements on it to make sure everything is exactly where I want it to be..(As I'm sure everyone does)

Organic -  Is that a Mala skin you developed?  Looks nice and crisp. 

Well I started with the "GameEx" layout off of the Mala site, and worked from there, replacing/editing everything to my liking.. I used downloaded fonts and I got my system pictures from the main skin of the "Maximus Arcade" frontend... (which was my original frontend choice)... 

The instructions at the top don't really apply anymore as they were configured for the cab's original CP, plus I started using Mala's GUI Tree features
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 05:21:12 am by OrganicJerk »

Pixelhugger

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 01:36:14 am
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 09:19:05 pm »
I love the logo. I'm surprized nobody has commented on that yet. It's going to look spectacular in full color! Very nice design. And it has the perfect balance of retro/cartoony/space age logotype to it. Did you build that in a 3D app or is that Illustrators 3d extruding?
Project mega thread HERE

Organic Jerk

• Offline Offline
  • I'm per pixel lit.
    • OmeshPersaud.com
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 12:41:35 pm »
Thanks for the kind words, Pixelhugger... I'm actually using your Mission Control project as one of the inspiration pieces for my work!

The work up to the last one was done in Photoshop/Illustrator.  When I work, I usually start off in photoshop "sketching" and brainstorming and then as it gets more directed I move to Illustrator...  For the last image I imported the  base of my illustrator logo into this small but powerful app called "Xara3d" (http://www.xara.com/products/xara3d/), and worked on it from there...  I'm still fudging around with it for now, but when I get settled I'll retrace the 3d as vector in Illustrator for final work and coloring..

Those posters you did for your machine (1 in your sig and the other 1-page 80's retro style one) are really insanely excellent pieces man....  I might just do something similar when I'm finally done with my cab... (if you dont mind)

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 01:53:20 pm »
If I don't mind? MIND??? Are you kidding? I'd love to have my obsessive cabinet related insanity validated like that.  ;)

Thanks for the kind words back.  8)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 01:54:57 pm by Pixelhugger »
Project mega thread HERE

Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 04:15:46 pm
  • what day is it...
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 03:58:18 pm »
I love your MALA layout! I just wish I could come up with a name for my arcade and stick with it. I would only dream of having a layout in MALA as slick as yours. Im very excited with your project I cant wait to see what it ends up like!

Neil

Organic Jerk

• Offline Offline
  • I'm per pixel lit.
    • OmeshPersaud.com
Cab Marquee Shape - (Project) EMDEC-01 : PIXEL ASSAULT
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 03:44:49 pm »
Well now that my more experienced woodworking friend is off school, we're starting to really look at the cab design and such...

Since we're starting the sides from fresh plywood, it gives me an opportunity to redesign everything a bit.

Since I have fairly low ceilings in the basement (76"), I had to edit the original MvC cab design at the top, basically cutting it down.  Doing this, however, leaves me with a very unsatisfying look, and I'm trying to regain a bit of character without looking like a chopped down top.

I could just go standard and use the old "flat stuck out front" look, but the whole reason I got the MvC cab is because of the design, so thats out..

I've attached a quick sketch of what 'm thinking about for the sides, and I'd like some opinions... 

As you can see, the top is tilted down a bit...  Does this look ok?  I ask because I don't think I've ever seen anyone (even on custom designs) tilt their marquee's down, and I figure it's not so bad as the marquee is high anyway... opinions?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 04:03:42 pm by OrganicJerk »

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
Re: Cab Marquee Shape - (Project) EMDEC-01 : PIXEL ASSAULT
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 04:14:43 pm »
As you can see, the top is tilted down a bit...  Does this look ok?  I ask because I don't think I've ever seen anyone (even on custom designs) tilt their marquee's down

I angled mine down, and I love it. Makes it feel like the marquee is looking at you instead of staring blankly off into space.  ::)  Mine hasn't been installed yet but you can get an idea for how it looks here. Yours is maybe at a slightly more acute angle but still very similar. The original Space Ace marquee was angled downward as well.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 10:45:24 pm by Pixelhugger »
Project mega thread HERE

theCoder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 04:30:05 pm »
I've seen the marquee's angled down as well and I like it.  You get a slightly larger canvas for your artwork without adding to the height.

Organic Jerk

• Offline Offline
  • I'm per pixel lit.
    • OmeshPersaud.com
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 04:33:19 pm »
I love your MALA layout! ...

Eh... It's ok

I wouldn't mind making a more generic (no project specific references or graphics) version of the layout when I'm done for distribution on mala's site... Although I can't guarantee that there wont be many changes until the final, and it may not look anything like that when done...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 04:35:27 pm by OrganicJerk »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
Re: EMDEC-01 : PIXEL ASSAULT (Project)
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 04:45:34 pm »
I like the angled down marquee - that is a really nice profile.

Harakiri

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2014, 05:02:37 am
  • Invisible member status
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 10:41:09 pm »
All this project is very well planned, congratulations for having the patience for it!

The MALA interface looks slick and simple, i never liked the abuse of characters on the interface design.

I share the same Pixelhugger's passion for CG so i must confess that the logo design got the most of my attention!

The only thing i don't understand well is the fact that you're installing Zuma to play on your cabinet since there is a Neo-Geo game if i'm not mistaken that is quite the same and looks better IMO.

The edges of the CP could be rounded, it looked better IMO.

Overall, it's very good, keep it up! :)

Organic Jerk

• Offline Offline
  • I'm per pixel lit.
    • OmeshPersaud.com
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2006, 01:58:32 am »
Makes it feel like the marquee is looking at you instead of staring blankly off into space.

My thoughts exactly!

The MALA interface looks slick and simple, i never liked the abuse of characters on the interface design.

The only thing i don't understand well is the fact that you're installing Zuma to play on your cabinet since there is a Neo-Geo game if i'm not mistaken that is quite the same and looks better IMO.

The edges of the CP could be rounded, it looked better IMO.

My idea for the layout is the same as my idea for the entire "Pixel Assault" theme.  I wanted to create a unique and personal identity.  Ultimately I wanted the kind of name and look that could make people think at first that it was its own game, and then after handling it do they realize what PA really means..

I have to admit, before I decided to come up with a unique identity, I was very tempted to put my favorite characters all over the cab, and be very blatant about the "All in One" thing.  It still seems cool and I know I would get a good initial reaction from it, but I really want to make the machine "my own" as much as I can..

About Zuma... the only other series I know about with the idea is "Puzz Loop" and although it is a fun game, I personally like Zuma better.  I didnt know of any Neo Geo game, but after playing Zuma with a trackball and Puzz Loop with a Spinner, I figure playing with a joystick would suck...   That and I actually think Zuma's art direction is beautiful... better than Puzz Loop in my opinion, but that just comes with the "Newer games, newer graphics" territory..  that and its a PC game..

About the angles... I want them to look angular to fit the tech look I'm going for...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And speaking of angles...

Attached is a snippet of my CP art design so far.  It's just layout at the moment with no art so I put some notes on where things are going..

I would really like some input, opinions, and suggestions on it...
maybe some examples of work that seems to be where I'm heading?

« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 10:03:54 am by OrganicJerk »

theCoder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2006, 01:18:22 pm »
I love the artwork and gameplay of Zuma...much better than puzzle loop.

Regarding the CP, I'd move the trackball as far forward as possible (that whole broken finger thing).  Also, I'd put instructions on the marquee and save CP space for cool artwork (but that's just me).  You can check out dozens of examples of CP layouts and artwork on the main board, pinned at the top.  Great progress.

Organic Jerk

• Offline Offline
  • I'm per pixel lit.
    • OmeshPersaud.com
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2006, 03:07:14 pm »
Ouch at the fingers....  :( 

Unfortunately I've already made all of my CP wood cuts and I'm currently working the art around it.  As it stands,the bottom of the trackball mount is flush with the bottom-front of the CP, and the space in front is just sticking out at the top, so I can't really move it forward anymore...

I mean I've already played golf and bowling games with a TV but up against the CP with no problems, so I guess my space is ok...  the whole CP top is 36" x 19"

At this point what I'd like is pointers and opinions on the art idea/direction of it, I guess..  Although I like the idea I have of metal panels with the Space background, it seems kind of plain(?) and I would love for people with more experience in the art side of things to share their thoughts...

EDIT: I cant believe I never checked out that CP thread before... really awesome work in there...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 02:26:51 pm by OrganicJerk »

johnperkins21

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2019, 07:02:34 pm
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2006, 07:14:37 pm »
When I first saw that CP I thought it was the Transformers logo. Looks damn sweet.
Bob Dole likes cheese.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2006, 07:20:05 pm »
I mean I've already played golf and bowling games with a TV but up against the CP with no problems, so I guess my space is ok...  the whole CP top is 36" x 19"

Yeah, your ok. It's your drunk brother in law with the wild golf swing that'll get hurt. I'm using a showcase cabinet thats pretty hard to get hurt on, or so I thought. We've had 2 sprained fingers and 1 guy managed to cut his hand on the speaker grill. The sprained fingers are from people hitting the player 2 joystick. Go figure...

DEVz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 18, 2007, 03:04:12 pm
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2006, 10:50:21 pm »
I see DOOM.  Me likey.
Please dont tell me you are playing with anything other than mouse tho. . .

Organic Jerk

• Offline Offline
  • I'm per pixel lit.
    • OmeshPersaud.com
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2006, 12:11:25 am »
When I first saw that CP I thought it was the Transformers logo. Looks damn sweet.

Yeah I kinda like and don't like that it looks like a mask/face...  I felt like it looks like a Gladiator mask or something..  I'm kinda wondering whether I should continue with this design or not, as I don't really want that face look to stay...

Yeah, your ok. It's your drunk brother in law with the wild golf swing that'll get hurt. I'm using a showcase cabinet thats pretty hard to get hurt on, or so I thought. We've had 2 sprained fingers and 1 guy managed to cut his hand on the speaker grill. The sprained fingers are from people hitting the player 2 joystick. Go figure...

Yeah... that's true...  I guess I wasn't really thinking in that regard....  I might make a deeper cp later on, but for now I just wanna finish this whole project as is.  That's definitely something I'm going to focus on and warn people about..

I see DOOM.  Me likey.
Please dont tell me you are playing with anything other than mouse tho. . .

Mouse??  Pshawww.... When I bought my first ram upgrade just so I could play Doom (4mb to 8mb) I played great with just the keyboard...  Although I am using a newer source port for splitscreen 2player (Legacy), I made sure that all the wads I have are very playable without mouselook... as the original doom wads are.

I mean I put doom on here because it was such a huge part of my home gaming experience, and it's really the only FPS I know of that can be comfortably played without mouselook.  If I could pull it off I would also put Quake and newer games, but unfortunately that cant happen.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 12:18:18 am by OrganicJerk »

llama

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2023, 09:51:51 pm
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2006, 09:50:51 pm »
Love the layout you designed...definitely upload it when you get the chance.  I'm new to Mala and have seen very few layouts that I like, so I'd love to play around with yours in the editor. 

I like the idea of adding a personal touch to the cab too.  I'm pretty much done my build so I don't check the forums as much as I used to, but every time I pop in here I get new ideas for future projects. Great work so far!

Organic Jerk

• Offline Offline
  • I'm per pixel lit.
    • OmeshPersaud.com
Re: Emdec-01 : Pixel Assault (Project)
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2007, 04:20:12 am »
Slowly but surely, I guess..  because of life, work, and also my more experienced woodworking friend's schedule, I have only been able to take a few nights here and there to work on the cab...  here are pics of the progress so far..

The majority of the wood on this project is plywood, as from my understanding it's lighter and stronger than MDF, and the sides will be covered with laminate anyway... (we also had alot lying around! =P)

The base... will have four wheels on the bottom, with the back two having brakes.

Cutting the first side... you can see a trace of myold cab's side on it... did that for comparison's sake..

Cutting the second side with the other parts looking on,,,

Nothing's attached permanently yet, but just couldn't help but stand everything on each other just to stand and stare at it...

You can see the lower front piece and keyboard slide in that picture as well...  The front's made of mdf instead of plywood because it will be spraypainted.  The KB slide is also made of mdf because we had 1/2" available.  I ordered ball bearing slides, and they sit underneath the drawer itself.

Any and all comments are welcome!

I've also started a thread in the Art forum for the artwork progress on my cab...
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=63263.0
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 11:41:13 am by OrganicJerk »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2007, 01:14:44 am »
This project looks really great so far.  Nice job with the artwork and I'm looking forward to see more progress pics.  Oh, and what version of Doom is that in the second pic of your CP?

:cheers:

Loanarn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2011, 04:54:26 pm
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2007, 05:19:13 pm »
All i can says is don't give up. Your artwork is great and it would be a shame for you to never finish this.

Gamester

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2019, 03:00:10 pm
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2008, 05:55:27 pm »
What ever happened to this project?  Any progress? 

I tried going to the website, but it's not working very well for me... incredibly slow, and I can't get the whole page to load completely before it times out.
Current Project:                                                       First Project:

Organic Jerk

• Offline Offline
  • I'm per pixel lit.
    • OmeshPersaud.com
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2008, 03:24:43 am »
And we actually made some progress....wow.

So the parts that have been sitting in the basement that still needs remodeling have finally started to come together.

Since the original plans, I've decided to scrap the keyboard tray (with a new mindset for some consolidation)

This has also allowed me to remove the PS controller ports and USB hub from the CP and take it down to under it where the tray used to be.

I'm also going to be putting wood filler into mostly all of the holes I made on the sides of the CP box, leaving only caps on the two pinball buttons in case I ever get the desire to use them.

To call the base complete sans paint, laminate, and art (which I will start to do once we start basement remodeling), I have to:

Create the speaker grille piece and attach it.
Create the top and back covers and attach them, including the door that will open to the bottom section.
Attach the marquee light
Route the t-molding grooves
Attach latches for the CP box
Attach hinges for the CP box cover
plug any gaps and holes with wood filler

And I believe that's it....

Hopefully this cabinet can be called complete someday.

EDIT:  What do you guys do to smooth out the look of the area between the monitor plexi and the CP?

This area specifically:

EDIT2:  There are also a few new pics in the art thread:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=63263.msg860338#msg860338
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 01:19:05 pm by Organic Jerk »

BASS!

• Just have fun.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2013, 03:12:33 am
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2008, 05:05:04 am »
Good work! commin along now. Keep it up!!!!

EDIT:  What do you guys do to smooth out the look of the area between the monitor plexi and the CP?

Transition strips that you use in between carpet and hardwood flooring. Paint it black and cut to size.

Organic Jerk

• Offline Offline
  • I'm per pixel lit.
    • OmeshPersaud.com
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2008, 02:13:07 pm »
Transition strips that you use in between carpet and hardwood flooring. Paint it black and cut to size.

Wow.. is that standard procedure?  What are other options for that?

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2008, 02:31:27 pm »
Admin button bar maybe? With an underlay to excuse more use of your awesome graphics?

I actually used that transition material (in walnut hardwood) as the "t-molding" along the front edge of my CP. Worked well IMOHO. If painted black with a lightly textured spray paint I imagine it could work very well as a tranisition piece where you need it.
Project mega thread HERE

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2014, 03:52:59 pm
  • The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2008, 03:10:41 pm »
This project looks really great so far.  Nice job with the artwork and I'm looking forward to see more progress pics.  Oh, and what version of Doom is that in the second pic of your CP?

:cheers:

I think he said legacy so it should be this one http://legacy.newdoom.com/.  Its funny you mentioned playing with just a keyboard since when I introduced my friends to Doom they complained about not being able to use the mouse.  If I recall correctly you can't increase turn sensitivity right?  That's why I like using the mouse in Zdaemon so I can get the quick turns in not to mention the ease of configuring the keys for strafing.  Pushing shift for classic annoys me so much (like using the lame button combo for Wizard of wor in mame).

Looking at some of the features for Legacy I wish they had a 4 player split screen.  Then I could stick it in a 4p cab (unless I get the xbox version or something).
Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.

Organic Jerk

• Offline Offline
  • I'm per pixel lit.
    • OmeshPersaud.com
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2008, 06:17:46 pm »

Mockup moved to Art Thread:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=63263.msg865468#msg865468

I actually used that transition material (in walnut hardwood) as the "t-molding" along the front edge of my CP. Worked well IMOHO. If painted black with a lightly textured spray paint I imagine it could work very well as a tranisition piece where you need it.

Transition piece it is, then!

;D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 01:45:21 pm by Organic Jerk »

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 16, 2011, 09:55:44 am
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2008, 12:27:11 pm »
Not gawdy at all IMO... looks nice.  I like the blue and the t-molding matchup.

As for the black below the CP, I'd say keep it simple - maybe trim around the coin door with the same blue or just some simple blue vertical stripes  on each side of the coin door.

Jim