Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New Product: TurboTwist 2 - The Ultimate Spinner / Paddle control ! From GGG!  (Read 91776 times)

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com

Whew!  Is that enough pictures?  Click on them if you want more detail.

GroovyGameGear was the first to bring you a high-resolution Arcade Spinner Control with the original TurboTwist™. 

Now, we bring you the TurboTwist 2™, the most amazing Arcade spinner ever produced, bar none

We packed the highest-resolution of any Arcade spinner into the smallest and easiest-to-install package ever!  It's also the most economical!

Features:
  • Installs in your panel just like a standard arcade pushbutton!  Fits panels as thin as sheet metal and up to over 3/4" thick.  No more screws or mounting templates.
  • 1200 transitions per revolution provides full coverage for any spinner or paddle game, including those demanding Arkanoid-style games.  And it does it  without gears!
  • Can be used with or without an optional rotational energy storage cylinder.  Gives you a choice of low "moment of inertia" or prolonged spin!
  • Full DUAL sealed-ball bearing design provides for maximum shaft stability.
  • TurboTwist 2 spinner body is precision CNC machined from a single piece of aircraft quality aluminum.
  • Top surface mounted so height-adjustments are a thing of the past!
  • Fully enclosed optical module protects high-tech components from dust and mishaps.
  • Standard 1/4" stainless-steel shaft for the widest possible selection of spinner knobs.
  • Special Opti-Wiz based board (Included in the "Master" configuration) can operate up to 2 additional lower cost "Slave" TurboTwist 2 spinners.
  • X, Y or Z axis operation can be selected by simply plugging the data cable onto the desired axis connector.
  • 4-pin header on-board (not shown in photo) for Left, Right and Middle Mouse Button connections.
  • Stylish 1-1/4" diameter black spinner knob included at no additional charge!
  • Also suitable for any application requiring precision dial controls, such as a Scrub Control for digital media editors, CNC Machine Jog Control (MPG), Rotational measurement, etc.
  • USB or PS/2 Port.  No additional drivers required.
  • Proudly crafted in the USA.

TurboTwist 2 Master Configuration - $69.95

Includes:
   TurboTwist 2 Spinner Control
   Opti-Wiz Interface (Specal Version)
   Stylish Black Spinner Knob
   12" Data / Power Cable
   6' USB Cable
   Instruction Sheet

TurboTwist 2 Slave Configuration - $62.95

Includes:
   TurboTwist 2 Spinner Control
   Stylish Black Spinner Knob
   12" Data / Power Cable
   Instruction Sheet

Add $5.95 for Energy Storage Cylinder Option (recommended for operation as a Spinner control when used with a light-weight knob)
Add $29.95 for Mini-Racer™ Option.
Pricing for Spinner knob options will be available at the store.

First units will be available for order at the store later today (11/27/06)

Thank you for looking and for your past patronage.  It's what allows us to continue to bring you new and innovative products like this one.  :)

RandyT

« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 10:02:54 am by RandyT »

FunWithFire

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 07, 2009, 01:17:30 am
Re: New Product: TurboTwist 2 - The Ultimate Spinner / Paddle control ! From G
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 03:35:50 am »
That looks real nice. This hobby is going to kill me.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
Wow! How cool is this! Awesome.

RetroBorg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 09:22:13 am
  • Your arcade games will be assimilated!
Great work Randy!  :notworthy:

JustMichael

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2015, 01:19:40 am
  • Mmmmm!! Cheesecake!!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 05:15:16 am »
I guess I'll say it before someone else does...

Does it come with a push/pull option?

patrickl

• I cannot know for certain which will be tastiest
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2021, 09:25:30 am
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
Love the tiny steering wheels, but is that steering wheel going to hold up if you only secure the whole unit with one "button style" screw?
This signature is intentionally left blank

destructor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2019, 03:10:07 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 06:19:29 am »
Love the tiny steering wheels, but is that steering wheel going to hold up if you only secure the whole unit with one "button style" screw?
Especially when panel has 45 degrees for example.

What is inner and outer diameter this steering wheel?

How heavy wheel I can mount instead mini steering wheel? (If I install larger steering wheel from PC controllers for example).

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
Wow! All other spinners now suck in comparison!

:applaud:

GadgetGeek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2014, 09:59:01 am
  • whatever
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 07:38:43 am »
Curse you Randy T.  Now I have to decide, toys for me or toys for the kids for Christmas.
 :cry:

Congrats on another great product.   :notworthy:

Must. Resist. Temptataion. (at least until after the holidays)

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
So when are you coming out with the GGG credit card?

;D

squirrellydw

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2021, 11:30:22 am
I will be ordering one of these.  I don't need to order anything special to have it work with your EI trackball correct?  Both are USB so should be plug and play.
I b**ch. People listen!!

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 09:07:02 am »
 Heh,  too bad I didnt patent that way back when...

Good to see a smarter use of spinner mounting finally.
Took ya long enough  :P  :)  hehe

Nice design.

Ninten-doh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2017, 10:37:18 am
  • I promise sweetie, this is my last cab purchase
So when are you coming out with the GGG credit card?
 ;D

More importantly, when are the new joysticks coming out?  My wife keeps asking what I want for X-mas and I keep stalling.   ;D

Neat looking spinner and accessories.  Will the mini-wheel option work with the original TurboTwist?

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 09:17:01 am »
After thinking long and hard about it, I have decided to humbly accept the responsibility of being an unbiased tester of this spinner. Go ahead and send me my demo. It pains me to subject myself to this torture, but I consider it a service to the community that has given me so much.

:laugh2: :laugh2:

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 10:36:09 am »

Your design looks like it was compact up top, but pretty large underneath. That makes the GGG appear completely different to me. Very slick design.

I've just been using a trackball for the spinner games I play, I think this will finally make me get a spinner.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006, 10:37:21 am »
This product looks potentially awesome when used as a standard spinner, and the decision to make the mounting hole the same size as a pushbutton hole is inspired. It's nice to have one less drill bit size to worry about.

However, as others have already mentioned, I'm slightly sceptical about the long term durability of the steering wheel attachment, especially when you consider that the nut used to fasten the spinner mechanism to the control panel appears from the pictures to be made of nylon. Anyway, I guess time will tell. I really hope it's durable as we badly need more steering wheel options.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

whammoed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:24:35 am
  • Crack don't smoke itself
    • NiceMite
Wow.  Love the idea.  If it plays as well as it looks I will be a happy camper indeed.  Talk a bout a small footprint...
Randy, since you state it has 1200 transitions per revolution, I assume that you are now using a 300 cpr encoder?  Is that right?
If so I think thats probably an optimum setting.  I found the 500 cpr one I tried was great for Arkanoid but was a tad "iffy" when trying to adjust it down for tempest.  Just need a way to adjust the resistance on the fly now... ;)

KUDOS!

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2006, 10:56:28 am »

Heh, It wouldn't have mattered if you did.  You can't patent a concept, only an implementation.  These two are radically different in that respect.

But thanks for the compliment on the design.

More importantly, when are the new joysticks coming out?  My wife keeps asking what I want for X-mas and I keep stalling.   ;D

Another recent addition to the store was Gift Certificates.  If you want something from GroovyGameGear.com, send the potential goody purchaser to the site and they can get you some groovy spendin' dough.  I think the picture is pretty humorous too (really shouldn't have spent the time on it...)

The new joysticks are indeed coming.  I'm waiting for 1 part from one of the new machinists.  I expect it will be done shortly, hopefully well before Christmas.

Neat looking spinner and accessories.  Will the mini-wheel option work with the original TurboTwist?

Thanks!  It may.  If not, I can make a special version for TT1 owners.  I wasn't sure how well the small wheel was going to work.  Turns out that its a blast ;)

I will be ordering one of these.  I don't need to order anything special to have it work with your EI trackball correct?  Both are USB so should be plug and play.

That's correct.  Just plug it in and go, as you would a mouse or any other USB HID device.

The Mini-Racer™ wheel is not intended for commercial deployment.  It is made of plastic and steel, and has a very high quality and "heavy" feel.  So much so that it has no need for set screws or permanent mounting devices.  It's designed to be able to be slipped onto the shaft easily and used when desired and slip off the same way when it's not.

As for the mounting, don't let your kids hang from it.  It's not built for that.  It's built for you to enjoy driving games and give you that "arcade feel" without the need for a large wheel on a special control.  It does that admirably, IMHO and will hold up just fine when not subjected to heavy abuse.

It's also really fun and it actually fit on my tiny Defender cab's CP :)  Turbo, PolePosition, Supersprint, you name it.  All of them felt really good and could be played well for the first time on my cab.  And when I was done, I popped it off and put the spinner knob back.  No problems.

Wow.  Love the idea.  If it plays as well as it looks I will be a happy camper indeed.  Talk a bout a small footprint...
Randy, since you state it has 1200 transitions per revolution, I assume that you are now using a 300 cpr encoder?  Is that right?
If so I think thats probably an optimum setting.  I found the 500 cpr one I tried was great for Arkanoid but was a tad "iffy" when trying to adjust it down for tempest.  Just need a way to adjust the resistance on the fly now... ;)

KUDOS!

Thanks, and you are correct.  It's funny you should mention Tempest.  One of the great things about 1200 transitions is the 72 you get at exactly 6% of it.  Arcade perfect Tempest control settings ;)

Resistance isn't a big issue.  The Arkanoid fans will want a larger knob and skip the flywheel option (or remove it when you want to have a few games).  Very, very playable.  (Hey Kremmit!  How about that knob measurement from the original?  Heh)

RandyT

ahofle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2006, 12:43:08 pm »
This is simply awesome.  Congrats.

whammoed

• Offline Offline
    • NiceMite
Randy, what is the total depth of the spinner with and without the shaft weight?

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2006, 12:55:48 pm »
Randy, what is the total depth of the spinner with and without the shaft weight?

From where to where?  Keep in mind that the way this is designed, much of the body is buried in your CP!  So the amount that hangs below will vary based on CP thickness. 

RandyT

postalp123

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 09:07:50 pm
  • Retro-gamers don't just play, they reminisce.
Another question Randy:

Can the Mini-Racer be installed on..... say, a SlikStik Tornado Spinner Base?

+ = ?

I'd rather not have the $90 I paid for the Tornado go to waste, But that steering wheel is awesome!

« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 01:13:05 pm by postalp123 »

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2006, 01:04:15 pm »
Well crap... I thought I was going to save some money by not adding a spinner to my newest machine. That idea is probably out the window now. Thanks alot, Randy.  :P

I'll put those gift certificates on my Christmas wish list. I'll let that be the determining factor as to whether I get the spinner or not. I really like the idea of a simple driving control, though. That the one thing missing from my old cab.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 01:08:35 pm by AlanS17 »

whammoed

• Offline Offline
    • NiceMite
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2006, 01:06:57 pm »

From where to where?  Keep in mind that the way this is designed, much of the body is buried in your CP!  So the amount that hangs below will vary based on CP thickness. 

RandyT

From the underside of the lip down.  Will potentially go in metal cocktail panel(s) where depth is a concern.  In this case the cp thickness is only 1/16".

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2006, 01:10:30 pm »
I can't tell from any of the pictures if it's there or not, but some sort of texture on the under side of the top mounting surface to keep it from rotating would be a major plus. It would add some grip. For all I know, though, it's already there.

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2006, 01:12:23 pm »
I imagine anyone wanting to use this thing for driving games will also want that little fixture at the bototm of the spinner to add inertia and give it that heavier feel.

What's the diameter of that wheel?

Aurich

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2021, 01:34:32 am
Nicely done. The button-hole style mount is a great idea, though unfortunately it wouldn't work for me, as it's much more difficult to add to an already finished panel (with overlay on) than a smaller drill hole. If I was starting from scratch though it's certainly attractive. I have 30mm holes (Japanese buttons), but the ability to swap it into an existing hole is cool too if you're in a tighter space and using Happs or the like.

Xam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2011, 11:16:45 pm
  • " Oh my heavens; good gracious. Cro-Magnons."
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2006, 02:06:07 pm »
Randy...you suck...LOL! How can we keep up when you keep putting out great products? Looks Like I may have found the spinner for my driving game cab!

Xam
Can't talk to a psycho like a normal human being.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2006, 02:09:32 pm »
Can the Mini-Racer be installed on a..... say, SlikStik Tornado Spinner Base?
I'd rather not the $90 I paid for the Tornado go to waste, But that steering wheel is awesome

Based on  the heft of the wheel and the type of forces that can be applied with it, It's probably not appropriate to use it with anything other than the TurboTwist 2 spinner.

From the underside of the lip down.  Will potentially go in metal cocktail panel(s) where depth is a concern.  In this case the cp thickness is only 1/16".

Without the ESC (flywheel) and including the extension of the shaft, it is about 2.45" from under the lip.  With the ESC, it is very close to 3".

For those with 3/4" wood panels, this translates to 1.7" below without the ESC and 2.25" below with.

I can't tell from any of the pictures if it's there or not, but some sort of texture on the under side of the top mounting surface to keep it from rotating would be a major plus. It would add some grip. For all I know, though, it's already there.

It's not there, but it's not necessary at all.  You will never have rotational force on the base.  The shaft spins freely in two individual sealed bearing units.

I imagine anyone wanting to use this thing for driving games will also want that little fixture at the bottom of the spinner to add inertia and give it that heavier feel.

Not at all.  The wheel has it's own mass and physical dynamic.  So much so that the ESC is not even detectable when present with the wheel (and it spins like a bugger when you give it a good whip)

What's the diameter of that wheel?

Roughly 5"

Nicely done. The button-hole style mount is a great idea, though unfortunately it wouldn't work for me, as it's much more difficult to add to an already finished panel (with overlay on) than a smaller drill hole. If I was starting from scratch though it's certainly attractive. I have 30mm holes (Japanese buttons), but the ability to swap it into an existing hole is cool too if you're in a tighter space and using Happs or the like.

A 1.125" hole saw (not a boring bit) will do wonders .  The spinner has it's own bezel, just like a button, so any rough edges will be hidden nicely.  It's usually more difficult to find space on a completed panel than to cut a button hole in in.

Also, the bezel is large enough to accommodate a 30mm hole, but it will be a little sloppy.  If you tighten it down well, or with a wood CP, apply a few layers of electrical tape just under the bezel, it will fit like a glove ;)

Randy...you suck...LOL! How can we keep up when you keep putting out great products? Looks Like I may have found the spinner for my driving game cab!

People either hate me or they hate me.  I just can't win ;)

RandyT

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2006, 02:31:39 pm »
...does this mean the price of the original Turbo Twist is going to come down significantly?
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2006, 02:39:41 pm »
...does this mean the price of the original Turbo Twist is going to come down significantly?

It will no longer be produced.

RandyT

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2006, 02:44:02 pm »

It will no longer be produced.

RandyT

If you decide to have a clearance sale, be sure to let me know.

RetroACTIVE

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 04:27:52 pm
  • Gramps
Randy,

Props for that packaging dude ;) I'm glad I waited...
Happy Gaming!

screaming

• Sweet! I'mma go make me some popovers!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2019, 03:15:34 pm
  • Registered lUser
    • shift eight (*) generation

Seconded.  It seems that with the completely encased design that modifying it will be difficult, if at all.

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2006, 03:02:30 pm »
These look awfully nice, good job on the button-hole mounting setup.  Stellar idea!

(Hey Kremmit!  How about that knob measurement from the original?  Heh)

RandyT

Oops, sorry, forgot about that.  Been really busy lately, blah blah blah.  I don't have any calipers handy, but my super-scientific eyeball and tape measure says it's one and 9/16 inches; or 40mm.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 03:07:59 pm by Kremmit »

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2006, 03:13:31 pm »
Oops, sorry, forgot about that.  Been really busy lately, blah blah blah.  I don't have any calipers handy, but my super-scientific eyeball and tape measure says it's one and 9/16 inches; or 40mm.

Cool.  Close enough and thanks for the info!

"Big Blue" is 3/16" larger in diameter than the original, but does seem to have a nice feel.  The cool thing about having more res than the original is that you can tweak a larger knob to approximate the feel of original.

Thanks Kremmit.

RandyT

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2006, 03:17:19 pm »

Seconded.  It seems that with the completely encased design that modifying it will be difficult, if at all.

... and less prone to breaking. I think it's a worthwhile trade-off.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2006, 03:44:46 pm »
Definitely the coolest product I have seen in a while and definitely my next spinner, unless RandyT comes up with his 3rd generation spinner by the time I get around to it.  :cheers:

Cheers.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

quarterback

• King Of The Night Time World!
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2023, 10:51:41 pm
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2006, 04:16:25 pm »
Suhwheeet!  :applaud:
No crap, don't put your kids in a real fridge.
-- Chad Tower

whammoed

• Offline Offline
    • NiceMite
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2006, 04:16:46 pm »
Without the ESC (flywheel) and including the extension of the shaft, it is about 2.45" from under the lip.  With the ESC, it is very close to 3".

For those with 3/4" wood panels, this translates to 1.7" below without the ESC and 2.25" below with.

Great, will fit fine in a pac man style cocktail panel.