Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: drill into mirror?  (Read 4739 times)

lakkdainen

• Trade Count: (0)
drill into mirror?
« on: March 25, 2002, 09:11:46 am »
Thanks for all your thoughts on the weird ideas post.  :)

I think what I'd like to try is making the control panel surface a mirror.  I have no clue how to drill the holes in it though.  Can you drill into glass?  Maybe if it was between two sheets of wood it wouldn't crack?

Another way would be to chrome a surface somehow.  I know there are chrome paints, but I don't know if it is possible to get a mirror quality shine.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
Re: drill into mirror?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2002, 09:36:34 am »
I STRONGLY recommend not doing this.

why?

When you drill anything (especially something as fragile as mirror/glass) you actually are breaking it into a millions of small pieces.... BUT YOUR BREAKING IT!  

Yes, every small piece of dust will be 7 years bad luck.  In just a few minutes you can doom your entire existance on this planet... for what?  A cool control panel???  Is this really worth it?  Woudln't a wood control panel with a silvery laminent really do?  Do you really need the full mirror and all it's evil sadistic bad luck to go with it?  Consider your children!  Some will definately rub off on them as you walk buy a stack of books and your bad luck could knock them to the floor and mixing up all their homework!  Think of the horrors they will have to come up with asking friends not to come to their house because their afraid of what might happen!  Think of your segnificant other!  Some personal times might be very...well down right DANGEROUS if done with someone with enought bad luck... you could sprain something!

But other then that... I have no idea how to drill throught glass.  I would say very slow and very carefully!

;D

ArcadeFX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2004, 11:16:56 pm
  • All the Dude ever wanted was his rug back!
    • ArcadeFX
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2002, 09:37:49 am »
You can buy mirrored acrylic at most hardware stores.  The Home Depot sells it where I live.  Then you can just drill and cut as normal.

Frobozz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2002, 03:16:45 am
  • I've been sane, but then I got better.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2002, 09:50:36 am »
Yea, I'd recommend getting a mirror-substitute, since the problem with mirrors is the glass.  

If you're brave though, you need a special diamond chip grinding bit and a drill-press (hand drills won't do it unless you're REALLY good).  It literally grinds away the glass.  You have to go slow and gentle and wash the area with something for lubrication.   Note, the bit will have a taper, and will cut a slightly conical hole.

I doubt they have anything to cut large button holes though.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:18:23 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2002, 05:57:02 am »
Go with the acrylic.

But if you REALLY want to drill through glass, you need diamond impregnated bronze tooling.  You can get "core" drilling tools at whatever diameter you want, but you will need to flood the area with coolant and use a drill press at high spindle speeds/slow feed rates.

It's messy, expensive and best left to professionals, but if you have the piece you want cut with the layout, you can probably have a local glass shop do it for you.

RandyT

Mike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2005, 01:22:14 pm
  • Umm, yea about the TPS report
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2002, 09:57:25 am »
I drilled through the glass covering my monitor no problem. It took a few minutes to do. You just have to buy the drill bit designed for glass. There is a special one. I also used a hand drill to do it. Though this was just 4 small holes to put a screw through. For a control panel your talking holes larger than an inch. That is going to be tough and I don't know if they make a drill bit large enough. Also another problem with the mirror is that if you've never seen it mirrors with edges that aren't polished don't look very good.

planetjay

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2019, 10:50:57 pm
  • Ex-Evil Admin Monkey.
    • planetjay.com
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2002, 11:49:53 am »
You really should just have the edges beveled.  ;)
planetjay.com. Still in Chicago. Still no hurricanes!

kamakazi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Never
  • This text has been personalized by  <kamakazi>
    • pellucidar.net
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2002, 07:40:59 pm »
I also recommend not using glass, especially since the "shiny" on the back of the mirror will probably flake a bunch around your holes, but drilling glass, even large holes is no big deal.  All it takes is time.  I have personally seen 10 inch holes cut in half inch plate glass with no special tools, other than a drill press.

For smaller holes a normal carbide masonry bit works fine.  You make a ring of plumbers putty on you glass around the hole, and pour some kerosene init, so you are actually drilling in  puddle of kerosene.  Run the drill slowly, and use light pressure, and make sure the glass is well supported underneath.  The kerosene accelerates the crack propagation as the glass fractures off.  

For bigger holes you need to construct a hole saw.  My dad did his 10 inch holes (actually he was making 10 inch disks)  with a circle cut out of plywood, around which he nailed a strip of sheet metal, and which he attached to a small faceplate, basically a flat metal circle with an axle attached so he could put it in the drill press.  Then you put a little water and some abrasive powder on the glass, and once again using a slow drill speed, but this time more pressure because it is a ring not a point you are pressing on, just take your time, adding just enough water to hold the abrasive where it belongs, and adding a little abrasive now and then.  Al that fancy diamond bit stuff is only needed if you intnd to do it on a regular basis, and your tools need to last.  If you only need to put a dozen or so holes in a control panel it's a lot cheaper to make do.

kamakazi
<type your signature here>

kamakazi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Never
  • This text has been personalized by  <kamakazi>
    • pellucidar.net
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2002, 07:50:40 pm »
'nother thought, just a normal hole saw would work, just take out the pilot drill, and knock the teeth off with a file or grinder....hmm, I'm starting to like this idea, it would be tough, wouldn't scratch easy like plexi or lexan, would be cheaper than plexi or lexan, the button bezels would hold the glass down and cover any chipping around holes (abrasive cutting leaves a nice ground glass edge anyway, no smoothing needed)

dude, can I borrow your idea?

kamakazi
<type your signature here>

KeithD

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2008, 07:57:26 am
  • I HAVE built my own arcade controls!
    • Nameless Cab
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2002, 05:49:46 pm »
How about sandblasting?
Cover the mirror with something so it doesn't get messed up, tape a washer with the size hole in it that you want to drill (or a piece of metal with the right size hole in it) aim the sandblaster at the hole and blast til its through.
I haven't tried this one, but I heard it a while back someplace else.

You might want to do it with plain glass and have it soilvered after though because of hte bad luck thing.... :)
You laugh because I am different;
I laugh because you are all the same.