Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wide T-molding question  (Read 3264 times)

_) (V) (-)

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2018, 11:56:39 am
  • There's supposed to be an earth shattering KaBoom!
Wide T-molding question
« on: November 22, 2006, 09:27:45 am »
I am working on a 4 player project and before I cut anything up I'd like to know from the experts if I'm on the right track here. 

The object is to increase visibility to the P3 &P4 positions, as it is currently, they are getting screwed! (Kind of going for a modified Turtles/Simpsons style)

Take a peek at the first attached photo (go ahead, I'll wait.....)

OK, you can see the monitor mounted at the funky angle, the trimmed & painted bezel and the side of the cabnet there. There as about 3/16" gap along each side of the monitor bezels edges. I think it's unsightly and needs to be covered.

What I wanted to do was cut out the sides of the cabnet to match up with the sides of the monitor. I am satisfied with the angle the monitor is at but I am unsure where I should cut the sides...

1) cut them exactly level with the bezel (OK not exactly, see *** below) and use an extra wide piece of T-molding to cover the cabnet edge & the gap along bezel.

~or~

2) cut the sides a little higher, say an inch or so and use standard 5/8" T-molding with some cabinetry edging along the monitor bezel gap. (This would make pulling the thing apart later much harder.)

If you take a peek at the second picture, I tried to put in some guide lines showing the proposed cuts.  Green is where the CP would be, red the 'cut' sides.  The sides will terminate below the CP.

*** I have a nice hunk of 1/4" laxan to put over the screen for protection it So I'll need to leave the sides at least 1/4" over the bezel to accommodate it. 

I guess my primary question is: Do they make a T-molding that is wide enough to accommodate this task? I'm guessing 7/8" wide T-molding isn't an oddity, but will it hold in the Laxan? With only 5/8" sides to work with, will it be 'do able' to cut the channel off center & accommodate the needed overhang?

-------------------------------    7/8" T-Molding
______     __ | ________
          |   |   |                |    Bezel - 3/16" gap - 5/8" side piece
          |   |   |                |         

I am kinda worried about 3/16" of sidewall (minus whatever I have to cut out for the slot) being strong enough to avoid cracking and breaking off.

What can you guys tell me about this?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 10:04:20 am by CykoMF »

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
Re: Wide T-molding question
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 09:38:27 am »
Well, the best advice I can give you is that that cabinet should not be a 4 player cabinet. ;D
Abomination city dude.

Anyways, if you cut out the sides like that, then you will tend to get alot of glare on your monitor. The sides and top of a laid back monitor design are there to act as a shroud to the monitor.
If you do, I would go with option #2. It will look much better cosmeticically.

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 12:41:19 pm »
This cabnet was not previously used for games, it was an audio equipment rackmount cabnet so I'm not destroying anything.  I'll need to cut out the sides in order to open things up and make the monitor viewable. I decided to put the monitor lower this time because of the center of gravity was so high in my previous one. I figure with 4 people jamming on it, there would be more probability to tip, etc...  Plus it makes for a smaller footprint.

I can appreciate the shrouding reasons but I've seen a few other open sided 4 player cabnets, (I.E. Simpsons) that appear to function fine.  I did plan to close off the back if that'll help any.

I certainly appreciate your good honest feedback but can you at least tell me why it should not hold a 4 player panel. Actually, it might even fit with my theme, the Ninja Turtles were abominations of nature after all. ;)

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 01:08:28 pm »
You have a laid back monitor. Glare from lights and such will kill your brightness and contrast. You'll most likely have to use tinted glass, like in a cocktail table

As to abomination, I don't mean that in destroying a classic sense. I mean it sounds like it will be ugly. It also looks like vertical monitor from the pictures. Is that correct?

I've seen alot of open side 4-player cabinets...mainly because they have to be. They also don't have a laid back monitor. The gauntlet monitor was angled more than most, but I still wouldn't consider that laid back like a pacman monitor was.
http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=7922

Also, what width is that cabinet? If it is a 23 inch cabinet, then you all are going to be on top of each other playing it. Not to mention everyone will have neck cramps after looking straight down at that monitor.

What is important though is what you like, and what is important to you. I'll never play your machine, so it really doesn't matter what I think. Once you take a saw to the cabinet, it is very hard to take it back.

Good luck either way.

kelemvor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2012, 09:40:44 am
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 01:44:06 pm »
Can you just make a new shelf for the monitor to sit in to bring it more vertical?  That might make it easier to see for everyone...

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 11:16:36 am »
I really appreciate your input Shardian, you guys with all the experience are like Nostradamus to my lack of hindsight. It's things like this I'd like to try and tackle before the sawdust flies!

The cabnet I'm working with is only about 20" wide so there isn't much room to work with here. The monitor is a 21" Viewsonic CRT SVGA computer monitor and I can tell you, it was quite a chore to get it stripped down enough to fit into this thing. The CP is limited to 36" width. (8" of wing on each side) And as if this wasn't enough to strangle the project, I wanted to put this together using existing parts and trying not to spend much on it. I can see your point when you say it should not be built based on that stipulation alone. But the funny thing about regret is, it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you have not done. 

However, after checking the screen on the Turtles cabnet: http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=T&game_id=10052
(This is more of what I was shooting for)  I can see what you mean about the angle of the screen being an issue. In fact in one of the pictures on that page, you can see a well pronounced glare across the bottom of the screen. I was hoping the marquee part would shade it a little better.

I think I'd do well to try and raise it up a bit more. I just don't have a lot of room to work with unless I leave the thing hanging out the back of the cabnet. Think I'll explore Kelemvor's suggestion and try a shelf setup before cutting things up.

Thanks again for the input guys!

« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 11:22:04 am by CykoMF »

fiscap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 10, 2023, 08:10:16 pm
  • I dare ye enter... the dungeons of daggorath!!!
    • BYOAC blog
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 12:11:17 pm »
Why do you have a closet inside your Mame cabinet?  :D

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 04:07:14 pm »
The heat from the monitor drys the shirts.