Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: what wood?  (Read 2078 times)

hir0

• Trade Count: (0)
what wood?
« on: November 22, 2006, 08:43:22 am »
So i'm gonna build some kind of cabinet soon.
But i'm still undecided about the kind of wood i'm gonna use.

I see that everyone is using MDF, but I also read about  the dust, the precautions you have to take and other "problems".
Further I first thought about using Plywood (or multiplex as it is called here) since i have experience with it, but now i'm kinda in the dark.

I like to hear what everybody experience with both are, and what I should be choosing.

thanks all :)

AKA Kaytrim

Re: what wood?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 09:35:20 am »
The choice of wood is personal for the most part.  MDF is the recommended material by far for reasons that I don't understand.  If you choose to use multiplex (plywood) then get cabinet grade.  This usually has one side that is smooth with no knots.  This will be more expensive than the normal multiplex but it will be a better end result.  I'd do a search in the woodworking forum to get better recommendations if I were you.

TTFN  :cheers:
Kaytrim

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 10:43:03 am »
MDF is the recommended material by far for reasons that I don't understand. 

It is cheap and smooth .... I prefer plywood myself.

Cheers
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

barness

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 11:52:35 am »
How much does enough wood to build a full cab cost? Lets say I use MDF or Plywood. Thanks.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 12:13:55 pm »
3 sheets.

I like MDF because painting it is easy since it's so smooth. You can't see wood texture through the paint.

ScottS2

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 03:28:06 pm »
Most people seem to use MDF. Don't ask me why! The stuff is super-heavy, not particularly rigid, and nobody seems to take advantage of it's best feature: the ability to route smooth profiles anywhere in it.

My favorite material is medium-density overlay (MDO). This stuff is plywood, with a thin layer of MDF on each side. It's light and rigid like plywood, holds screws well, and the MDF face makes it easy to paint. It costs more than cheap plywood, but less than a furniture-grade hardwood (oak, maple, etc) plywood. I think in my area it's $45-55/sheet. For comparison, birch plywood is $35-40/sheet and hardwood plywood starts at $60/sheet and goes up to $120+/sheet for the really nice stuff! MDO isn't available at available at your local home center (Home Depot, Lowe's, etc). Usually, it's a special-order item at a real lumber yard.

If you've got access to good woodworking tools and don't want to paint, melamine-covered particle board might be an option. It has many of the same downsides as MDF, but the melamine surface means you don't need (or want) to paint. It comes in white, black, almond, and a number of wood-grain patterns. White, black, and almond are commonly stocked at decent lumber yards; the wood-grain patterns are usually a special-order item. I think I typically pay around $35/sheet for 3/4" thick black.

tommy

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 03:13:30 am »
I would buy the best possible wood i could get my hands on, i wouldn't use some crappy mdf on a long and expensive project cab i plan to keep for myself.