Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Coin Slot insert for Budget Lit pushbuttons  (Read 5096 times)

Crowquill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2021, 05:02:15 pm
  • Scratch-built Guitar - Under Construction!
Coin Slot insert for Budget Lit pushbuttons
« on: November 14, 2006, 10:16:15 pm »
I posted a message over at this thread showing an insert I made for a Happ budget (posi-lok) illuminated pushbutton.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=59952.0

I was going to use it to make the red illuminated button look like a coin slot. This would have been the credit button for my joystick project. I ended up abandoning the joystick once I got my full cabinet. As it turns out, several people liked my idea of the "coin slot" button, so I figured I'd share the artwork for the insert.

As I wasn't lighting mine, it was just a plain sheet of copy paper that had been laserprinted. My original plans for the lit version were to sand off the screen-printed wording on the included white plastic "legend", and print the artwork on a transparency sheet. I'm assuming this should work fine, but I never got to try it. Maybe someone else can try it now  :)

Here's the assembled button (old version) and a PDF to print from:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 11:45:41 pm by Crowquill »
Brevity is not my strong suit.

MustardTent

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 22, 2015, 12:14:02 pm
    • Blog
Re: Coin Slot insert for Happ Budget pushbuttons
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 09:55:31 am »
That is perfect.  In fact, since my buddy doesn't really care about being super-authentic with the buttons, he mentioned that he'd like to remove the "Push to reject" text.  Your "Push to insert" is absolutely perfect.

Good job!  Did you put these together in adobe originally? 

Thanks again!   :applaud:

MustardTent

• Offline Offline
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 10:02:03 am »
Also, did you end up going the route of sanding off the text on the plate?  Or is covering it up with this graphic good enough?

Crowquill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 01:01:53 pm »
I ended up just covering it up. Since I wasn't lighting it it didn't matter at all. If you're going to light it, then I'd suggest removing the type from the plastic "legend" so that the letters aren't showing through. Also, if you're going to do that, I'd think that printing the design on a clear transparency might make a better insert (won't block out any of the light).

These were created in Illustrator. If you open up the PDF there, you can do some editing. The font used JackCondensed is actually one of the fonts installed with the old You Don't Know Jack games on the Mac. I didn't convert it to outlines since I knew I was going to have to post it here and creating outlines would have increased the file size.

MustardTent

• Offline Offline
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 01:15:29 pm »
After looking at the legend, would you say that it is feasible to sand off the text?

Crowquill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 06:02:55 pm »
That was my best guess. It appears to be screenprinted on. Being that it's lit from behind, as long as you're not too rough with it, I wouldn't think a sanding with fine-grade sandpaper would affect the way it lights the image in front.

It might be better if it's not just a theory. I'll print it up on a transparency when I go to work tomorrow and see if my original plan will work. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't, though. I'll post an update tomorrow night.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 09:39:53 am by Crowquill »

Aurich

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2021, 01:34:32 am
Re: Coin Slot insert for Budget Lit pushbuttons
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 11:50:05 am »
Just spray the back of the transparency with a can of white floral spraypaint (not quite as opaque), that will give you your backlight surface.

Crowquill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 01:14:39 am »
That would probably work fine, but the white printed "legend" is molded to set snugly into the plunger portion where the bulb is. If you just discard it, the insert may not sit flat. Also, being thicker plastic I would think it'll difuse the light a bit better.

I got mine assembled and lit tonight. Unfortunately, the finest grit sandpaper I had was 120, but it didn't leave any major marks anyway. The screenprinting came off pretty easily. The printing on the transparency turned out a bit less opaque than I wanted, but it still worked out fine. Since they come with a 12V 161 bulb, I just used 12V from my MAME system's power supply (which is how my coindoor lights are normally lit).

Below are three pics. The first is all the pieces to the button. They're pretty much laid out in the order that they get assembled. The second is the plastic "legend" piece that sets into the white plunger piece. And lastly...success.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 09:41:43 am by Crowquill »

Aurich

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2021, 01:34:32 am
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 12:49:23 pm »
That would probably work fine, but the white printed "legend" is molded to set snugly into the plunger portion where the bulb is. If you just discard it, the insert may not sit flat.

Oh it works, it's how I made mine.

But looks like your method was fine too. :)

jcroach

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2012, 09:36:56 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 03:53:56 pm »
Very cool.  This is exactly how I was planning on doing my cabinet also.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 12:29:15 pm »
Props to you Crow, for coming up with this concept!
NO MORE!!

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 09:06:21 am »
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I was searching for a printout of the coin slot to make my own credit button and came across this.
First of all, kudos for the work!
I thought I would add a comment on how I removed the original text on the white spacer behind the lens.
I used fingernail polish remover to remove the black lettering. (I suppose it is the acetone in the remover that does the trick.)
I wetted a paper tool (small spot) with the remover and rubbed it on the black lettering. It came right off, but had to do a few more wipes to get it all off because at first it smeared the ink.
I then rinsed it immediately with tap water.
I repeated this a few times to wear down the raised lettering on the plastic bezel. (white insert).
I think it is going to do good.
Word of caution: Take your time and have the tap water close, the remover tends to melt the plastic, even though it is not drastic, you need to pay attention to it.
When finished I washed the plastic piece in tapwater and allowed to dry for a few minutes. The remover evaporates pretty quickly, but I wanted to be sure none was still on the piece before I reassembled the button. Didnt want the remover to glue the pieces together by melting them to each other.
Again, sorry for digging this post up and I hope it helps someone else.
PS. It would be nice if the downloadable printout had just the button faces I need, to save on printer ink, but thats not a big deal.