Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME Sound Problems  (Read 9636 times)

Odonadon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2006, 12:01:12 am
  • But then again, that's just one man's opinion.
    • Turbo2k
MAME Sound Problems
« on: March 26, 2003, 11:11:11 pm »
Well, I've had all I can stands.  I can't stands no more.   I've seen lots of people post this question, and even one dude who got it working without elaborating on what he did:

Sound problems in MAME.  I'm talking the sound will garble every 30 seconds or so.  The garble lasts only 3 seconds, but god it drives me nuts.  There's also an issue with the sound (music is included in all of this) repeating itself.  It'll be playing nicely, then, like a record skipping, start 1/2 a second behind where it currently is.  Here's my setup:

AMD K6-3 450MHz
128MB RAM
ATI Radeon 7500 64MB
SB16 ISA
Windows 98SE
FastMAME 0.66

I have the EXACT same problem on my other PC:

PII 400MHz
256MB RAM
nVidia Geforce2 MX400 64MB
SB Audigy
WinXP Pro
Mame32 0.66

Anyone have any thoughts or MAME switches I can try?  The older games seem to be fine - Joust, Defender, Galaga, etc.  But newer ones like street Fighter II, Sonic Wings 3, etc. have this problem.  Even Afterburner II.  In fact, Afterburner II is the worst offender!

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Odonadon
It's Captain Odonadon, and his magical bag of nuts.

radiator

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2013, 07:14:43 pm
  • SFA OK!
    • :: verticalcircle ::
Re:MAME Sound Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2003, 04:53:07 am »
is it a garble, or a kind of distorted 'jitter' (like the sounds trying to keep up with the game, so it skips)??

i had the skipping problem, and thought i sorted it, but it still occurs every so often...hopefully won't be the case when i get a new computer for the cab i'm gonna build (going for something in the 2Ghz region)

:P
When the Germans bombed the British, the British ducked.
When the British bombed the Germans, the Germans ducked.
When the Americans started bombing, everyone ducked!

Odonadon

• Offline Offline
    • Turbo2k
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2003, 12:04:19 pm »
is it a garble, or a kind of distorted 'jitter' (like the sounds trying to keep up with the game, so it skips)??

i had the skipping problem, and thought i sorted it, but it still occurs every so often...hopefully won't be the case when i get a new computer for the cab i'm gonna build (going for something in the 2Ghz region)

Well, yeah, a distorted jitter.  It's like the sound tries to keep up with the game, so it slows down.  But it's like, right after, it realizes it went too far and compensates by skipping.  I tried turning auto frameskip off too - no difference.  I've tried throttle, mathrefresh, tripplebuffer, lowering my sample rate, etc. etc. etc.  Nothing seems to work.  It's quite annoying!  :)  At first I thought I could live with it, but now it's at the point where I don't even want to use the damn thing because it's so bloody annoying.

Odonadon

radiator

• Offline Offline
  • SFA OK!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2003, 01:39:05 pm »
same problem i had
it still occurs with the newer games, to stop it, i have to change the frameskip to 2 or 3 (whichever is 100% - game dependant)

the same thing happens on my brothers computer (a lot worse though) - his is only 500Mhz, whereas mine is 1.2Ghz

people keep telling me that MAME is incredibly CPU intensive, which is why i'm only getting the problems with the newer games - maybe upgrading to a faster CPU will solve the problem

best bet is to try and find someone with more-or-less the same setup as you, and find out if they're getting the same problems - if not, find out how their system is set up (along with their .ini files) and see if you can correct it

actually, anyone with the same problem should comment, tell us their specs. etc - but i have a feeling that a faster CPU may solve it

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2003, 03:37:02 pm »
Have you disabled sound debugging in Control Panel?  That might help...

As supplied by Microsoft, DirectX versions 8.0 and 8.1 run a sound debugging program in the background under Windows. This debugging program may cause performance degradation and possibly execution errors in Windows applications using DirectX (such as OFP).

The DirectX sound debugging program can be safely disabled by downloading this DirectX applet (http://kpush.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/directx.zip or http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/downloads/dxapplet.zip) and following these instructions:
  • Extract the DIRECTX.CPL applet file to your Windows 98 SYSTEM subdirectory or your Windows 2000 SYSTEM32 subdirectory.
  • Go to Windows Control Panel and open the DirectX properties utility.
  • Click on the DirectSound tab. You should see a Debug Output Level slide control on the upper left. Slide it all the way to the left, where it says "Less".
  • Click APPLY and then OK to save the settings and exit the utility.

This tweak has noticeably helped some while it appears useless to others. However, it's absolutely harmless, So it's worth giving it a try

(This fix stolen from vpforums.com!)

--Chris
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

Odonadon

• Offline Offline
    • Turbo2k
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2003, 06:39:56 pm »
Well, I ran the DirectX applet, turned down sound debugging, reinstalled my sound drivers, no difference.

The sound does weird things in Game Launcher for me too, which makes me think this isn't just a MAME problem.  The MP3s will skip.  Like a bad CD does.  Skips 3 seconds of the song at once.  Doesn't play them fast, it just omits them.  I have NO CLUE what's going on.  MP3s play perfect through either Winamp or Windows Media Player.  I am stumped.  

Any other suggestions?

Odonadon

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2003, 10:01:53 pm »
I think it might have to do with you processor speed (everything else looks good on your system) ...

have you tried the same game/etc with DOS mame in regular dos??

*Shrug* just a thought....

rampy

Ryan555

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2010, 06:39:55 pm
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2003, 01:51:19 am »
I had a simular problem a while back.  With sound pausing and braking up when I played some Mame games and some MP3's.  After alot of messing around I solved the problem by upgrading my video card.  Although your video card should be fine, so I am not
your if it would fix your problem.  Just thought I would let you know just incase  it helped.

Ryan

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2019, 05:10:51 pm
  • You know you hear the music in your head...
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2003, 01:40:48 am »
I only have that problem in one game i've been playing....

The Ninja Warriors.
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

StephenH

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2023, 06:15:45 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2003, 02:56:52 am »
Try upgrading to the latest version of DirectX.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2003, 04:52:52 pm »
Well, I've had all I can stands.  I can't stands no more.   I've seen lots of people post this question, and even one dude who got it working without elaborating on what he did:

AMD K6-3 450MHz
128MB RAM
ATI Radeon 7500 64MB
SB16 ISA
Windows 98SE
FastMAME 0.66

I have the EXACT same problem on my other PC:

PII 400MHz
256MB RAM
nVidia Geforce2 MX400 64MB
SB Audigy
WinXP Pro
Mame32 0.66

I saw this and ignored the thread until people started skirting aroudnthe main issue and making up other possible excuses for the problem. ;)  Dude your problem is your machine is too old.  Get a 1 gig + with at least 256 megs of ram before you even begin to complain about performance issues.  I've replied every time this question was brought up (explain to me why you didn't just add to an existing thread?)  and the answer is STILL the same.  

Many mame games sync the audio with the video and mame is very processor intensive.  When your machine can't handle the game then the audio will always suffer.  Also something of note... your ears are much more sensitive to "skipping" then your eyes are.  So the game can appear to play without skipping but be skipping like mad in terms of milliseconds, which the ear can detect.  It's a processor issue, plain and simple.  You need a beefy one to play mame and the age of the game you are running doesn't make much difference.  The difference lies in the quality of the game's driver.  Even some of the classics still have very sloppy drivers which won't run well on such a puny machine.  This is especially true since the mame build switched to a dx5 core, which is a rather large footprint compared to dos versions of mame.

Odonadon

• Offline Offline
    • Turbo2k
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2003, 10:08:14 pm »
So, Howard. explain to me why the DOS version doesn't do this?  Why is it only Windows?

Odonadon

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2003, 11:12:12 pm »
did you read my paragraph?  i did explain

Odonadon

• Offline Offline
    • Turbo2k
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2003, 11:55:26 pm »

No you didn't.  All you said is the dx5 version has a bigger foot print than the DOS version.  Your solution to my problem was to get a faster CPU.  Do you still think that's right?  

I agree that increasing CPU power will most likely solve the problem, but that isn't an option.  There's something Windows is doing that DOS isn't to cause this.  You're the one who professes inreased performance in Windows over DOS time after time anyway.  If Windows offers better performance, why is the sound not skipping in DOS?  

Odonadon

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2003, 12:14:12 pm »

No you didn't.  All you said is the dx5 version has a bigger foot print than the DOS version.  Your solution to my problem was to get a faster CPU.  Do you still think that's right?  

I agree that increasing CPU power will most likely solve the problem, but that isn't an option.  There's something Windows is doing that DOS isn't to cause this.  You're the one who professes inreased performance in Windows over DOS time after time anyway.  If Windows offers better performance, why is the sound not skipping in DOS?  

Odonadon

HC, and others have said, ad infinumum... that the windows version of mame performs better now in windows than the DOS version in DOS on a modern CPU/system (which I take it means 1 ghz and up)...

FWIW, I had a similiar system and was quite happy running in pure DOS w/advancemame without any sound skipping unless I fired up the latest midway games (although I could play MK1 with judicious frameskip)

Is there a reason why you need to run windows (i.e. golden tee, or some win only emu?)  

I found that building a cabinet is fully of different compromises and trade offs...  and while I was running a slower processor (celeron 366@550) I traded living in the DOS world for more performance...  (and right  now I'm missing those days, but that's a different story)

*shrug*  DOS can be maddening, but if you need to stay at that clock speed, once you take work out all the little details, you'll be set...  (until  you upgrade)

I realize I'm not saying anything new, or hasn't been said before... but maybe saying it differently...

rampy

PS you could have both worlds... I had mame play in DOS, but a menu option in gamelauncher to launch windows when I want to play golden tee or other win only emus/etc.... *shrug*
« Last Edit: April 01, 2003, 12:16:28 pm by rampy »

Wade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2023, 08:30:51 pm
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2003, 12:39:59 pm »
I'd try reinstalling windows and leaving it bare at first (only the drivers and software you need to run Mame).  Then add things back slowly and make sure the mame performance stay the same after each addition.

Or, switch back to dos.  Is there a reason you have to use windows?

Wade

Odonadon

• Offline Offline
    • Turbo2k
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2003, 12:45:30 pm »
Well, here's the story - Looks like I'll be upgrading to an Athlon 1600 after all.  :)  Everyone can pretty much ignore this post.

Tanks, y'all

Odonadon

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2003, 03:14:58 pm »

Odonadon

I don't mean to be harsh here but your lack of common sense astounds me.  It leaves a bigger footprint in memory and in processes on the processor.  That is like "minimum system requirements"  for windows and your current setup is at the edge of those requirements.  After you upgrade this won't be and issue because you will have far more juice, but it will still be there.  That is the very definition of a foot print in computer terms.  
Now dos on the other hand could barely handle your system for the opposite reason... namely it has too many resources.

As Jakobud said, long story short windows is still better but only when you have a decent pc to run it on.  Of course he and I have both explained this several times in the other threads regarding this topic.

The moral of this story:

When a question is asked on the board and veterans and noobs alike give the same answer, a different person asking the question or asking one week later won't change the answer.  So to quote PJ "Still NO"  ;)

Wade

• Offline Offline
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2003, 03:35:45 pm »
Maybe I'm not paying close enough attention, but it sounds to me like he just has a Windows problem.  He said it runs fine in DOS.  I don't think the Windows "footprint" is causing everything he runs in Windows to pause for 3 seconds every 30.  In fact, I'd suggest that simply upgrading his machine wouldn't fix the problem if he doesn't reinstall everything.  (I also think that reinstalling Windows might reveal the problem, particularly if a certain application is causing the problem)

Odonadon,
Try getting the correct drivers for your motherboard, IDE controller, etc.  I had a system that did the same thing every once in awhile.  The whole thing would just freeze for a few seconds.  Kept us from being able to burn any CDROMs!  Finally, someone tipped me off about the drivers.  I installed the correct drivers for the MB/IDE etc. and the problems went away.

I don't know why some of you keep harping on the speed of his machine.  A long pause that happens at a regular interval like he describes is not caused by a "slow computer."

Wade

Odonadon

• Offline Offline
    • Turbo2k
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2003, 05:29:04 pm »
Well, first off, let me start by saying I work with PCs for a living, so there's no need for the computer talk lecture, thanks.

Wind98SE uses hardly the resources of a K6-3 450MHz with 128MB RAM, so don't go talking about large "footprints".  Not much diffence Running Afterburner II in DOS MAME or Windows MAME in terms of resources being used - not those of a K6-3.

And I don't follow "Now dos on the other hand could barely handle your system for the opposite reason... namely it has too many resources." as MAME runs better in it than Windows.  Doesn't sound like "barely handling my system".  This is where we start tuning out Howard.  As far as I'm concerned, Howard, you haven't explained a single thing - except that I apparently have a lack of common sense :)

Wade - it's not a long pause.  It's sort of a garbled static - like it slows down a bit - then a skip not far after.  Some games just skip.  Constantly.  And these are games that run at 100% with frameskip off.  So it's obviously not a hardware issue.  I did manage to get my hands on a cheap CPU, so I will put that in regardless.

I have tried reinstalling Windows, and have the most updated drivers - same exact thing.  

Odonadon

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2003, 08:27:45 pm »
It sounds like some internal buffer isn't big enough... hmm....

If you reduce the sound quality to, say 11KHz, does the problem go away?  

MAME and GameLauncher are both Allegro based, so it could be an Allegro issue.  There might be an Allegro setting that will help.

I know you said that the DOS version doesn't have the problem... did you try the DOS version in Windows?  That would help pin it down as an Allegro problem...

--Chris

--Chris

--Chris

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2003, 08:36:49 pm »
Just for giggles, try creating a file in your MAME and GameLauncher folders called allegro.cfg.  It shoud contain the following:

[sound]
digi_card = WOB

See if that changes anything.  The sound quality should go down, but does it stop the skipping?

--Chris
--Chris

Odonadon

• Offline Offline
    • Turbo2k
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2003, 09:32:59 pm »
It sounds like some internal buffer isn't big enough... hmm....

If you reduce the sound quality to, say 11KHz, does the problem go away?  

MAME and GameLauncher are both Allegro based, so it could be an Allegro issue.  There might be an Allegro setting that will help.

I know you said that the DOS version doesn't have the problem... did you try the DOS version in Windows?  That would help pin it down as an Allegro problem...

--Chris

--Chris

Yes, I tried both.  11KHz didn't solve anything.  And the DOS version plays very strangely in Windows - weird vertical lines down the right hand side.  I can't remember what it sounded like, however :).

Just for giggles, try creating a file in your MAME and GameLauncher folders called allegro.cfg.  It shoud contain the following:

[sound]
digi_card = WOB

See if that changes anything.  The sound quality should go down, but does it stop the skipping?

--Chris

I will try that tonight and let you know!  Thanks for constructive suggestions.

Odonadon

Odonadon

• Offline Offline
    • Turbo2k
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2003, 09:51:49 pm »

[sound]
digi_card = WOB

--Chris

Hey - I put the allegro.cfg in my mame\config and glaunch\config directories - is this correct?

Thanks,
Odonadon

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2003, 09:57:11 pm »
No, it goes in the same directory as the executables.

--Chris
--Chris

Odonadon

• Offline Offline
    • Turbo2k
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2003, 11:21:34 pm »

--Chris

Well that cured the problem I was having with MP3s in Game Launcher.  They no longer sound like a broken record!  Awesome!

However, it didn't make a difference to MAME at all - I didn't even notice a decrease in sound quality.  I'm using FastMAME - does it make a difference?

Thanks again!
Odonadon

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2003, 11:38:51 pm »

--Chris

Well that cured the problem I was having with MP3s in Game Launcher.  They no longer sound like a broken record!  Awesome!

However, it didn't make a difference to MAME at all - I didn't even notice a decrease in sound quality.  I'm using FastMAME - does it make a difference?

Thanks again!
Odonadon
Hm.  Let me look at the MAME source and see what's up....
--Chris

brianoneill

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2017, 04:44:59 pm
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2003, 08:34:00 am »
I use mame32 and have the sound "crackle" problem, but only on some games...Pacman and DoDonPachi for instance !

My machine is as follows...
AthlonXP 2200
512 DDR RAM
Gigabyte Motherboard w/onboard Sound,
Geforce4 TI4200.

Odonadon

• Offline Offline
    • Turbo2k
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2003, 11:45:47 am »
I use mame32 and have the sound "crackle" problem, but only on some games...Pacman and DoDonPachi for instance !

AthlonXP 2200
512 DDR RAM
Geforce4 TI4200.

Your hardware is crap.  You must upgrade.  You shouldn't even by TRYING to run Pacman on an AthlonXP 2200.  There is no other answer - you must upgrade.

Howar...I mean - Odonadon   ;D

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2003, 12:19:44 pm »

AthlonXP 2200
512 DDR RAM
Geforce4 TI4200.

Your hardware is crap.  You must upgrade.  You shouldn't even by TRYING to run Pacman on an AthlonXP 2200.  There is no other answer - you must upgrade.

Howar...I mean - Odonadon   ;D

Well actually... the mobo's built in soundcard is most likely crap... and you might consider upgrading to a standalone sound card.

that's my opinion, ymmv...

I'm not defending HC, I'm just being contrary --- it does seem funny that pacman of all games would crackle on a system that "powerful", FWIW.  Maybe pacman's footprint is in the way, except he doesn't have arms or legs =P

Rampy
« Last Edit: April 07, 2003, 04:59:55 pm by rampy »

radiator

• Offline Offline
  • SFA OK!
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2003, 12:49:57 pm »
Maybe pacman's footprint is in the way, except he doesn't have arms or legs =P

Rampy

man, i laughed ---my bottom--- off when i read that!

but seriously, onboard sound usually stinks...get yerself a cheap SoundBlaster

*m

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2017, 09:52:03 pm
  • Bowowow
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2003, 01:32:38 am »

but seriously, onboard sound usually stinks...get yerself a cheap SoundBlaster

But then again if it has the nforce2 chipset with the mcp-t southbridge with it's audio processing unit produces excellent sound quality with little to no loading on the cpu (especially an XP2200+).

brianoneill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2003, 04:13:14 am »
I think I'll buy a soundblaster.
The sound crackles on loads of games.
sometimes its perfect and sometimes its pretty bad.

Wade

• Offline Offline
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2003, 08:46:40 am »
Check the for sale section, I have a genuine Creative SB 16 for sale.

Wade

brianoneill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2003, 08:22:04 am »
sorry, I just went and bought a SB 4.1

SOund works better now sound does not work properly on ANY game now with 44000 sample rate. All work fine with 2200.

Is that right ? Should I be able to get higher sample rate.
Athlon 2200+, 512 DDR Ram, GeForce4 Ti4200.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2003, 04:55:38 pm »
So if were keeping score at home, all the advice I gave (that many of you mocked me for) turned out to be 100% correct.  Listen to me, I know what I'm talking about. ;)

If you want good sound in windows then you need good hardware and plenty of resources, end of story.  

Odonadon

• Offline Offline
    • Turbo2k
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2003, 05:26:37 pm »
So if were keeping score at home, all the advice I gave (that many of you mocked me for) turned out to be 100% correct.  Listen to me, I know what I'm talking about. ;)

If you want good sound in windows then you need good hardware and plenty of resources, end of story.  

Well, someone's full of themselves, aren't they?

And for the record, making those Allegro adjustments helped a little bit, but the new MAME seems to have made a big difference as well.  Guess it's not hardware?

Odonadon