Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help installing Lazarus 4.5  (Read 8162 times)

Ryan555

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2010, 06:39:55 pm
Help installing Lazarus 4.5
« on: March 26, 2003, 04:00:16 am »
After running setup.exe and selecting directory to install I get this error in a window.

Project 1

Runtime-error '429':

ActiveX component can't create object

OK

I have installed VB 6 and the other programs.
The installer asks for  VB scripts do I need these
and where do I get them from?

thanks

Ryan

)p(

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2009, 03:38:15 am
  • We are the Galaxians...
    • Emulaxian:cabinet and frontend
Re:Help installing Lazarus 4.5
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2003, 01:55:55 pm »
After running setup.exe and selecting directory to install I get this error in a window.

Project 1

Runtime-error '429':

ActiveX component can't create object

OK

I have installed VB 6 and the other programs.
The installer asks for  VB scripts do I need these
and where do I get them from?

thanks

Ryan

lazarus 4.5 uses shockwave (not flash!) and realmedia controls for respectively 3d models of cabs and real media video previews.

The shockwave control also needs this extension:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Shockwave 8\Xtras\PNG Import Export.x32
the installer tries to install it automatically but might have failed.

Borh are enabled by default...so if you don't have those controls properly installed and you get that error turn them off in  lazarus.ini:
UseRealPreviews=0
UseCabPreviews=0
UseCabVideos=0

peter

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2003, 02:51:20 pm »
Actually that last tip won't help peter, vb can't load shocwave on the fly and thus the plugin has to be resident the whole time.  

Also all the extras are now included in the 4.5 final install program along with a message on the first page of the setup utility telling users NOT to install unless you have shockwave, real player and windows media player installed first.  

I thought that putting that on the first page of the setup and putting NOT in all caps would be enough to get people to actually listen to that warning.  :)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2003, 03:01:10 pm »
There is a link to vbscripts on the main page of the site, sorry for going off topic a little.  

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2003, 08:19:28 pm »
Also all the extras are now included in the 4.5 final install program along with a message on the first page of the setup utility telling users NOT to install unless you have shockwave, real player and windows media player installed first.  

I thought that putting that on the first page of the setup and putting NOT in all caps would be enough to get people to actually listen to that warning.  :)
THat's the surest way to have someone ignore them... I read this thread prior and I still almost just clicked through that warning...   =P Is there anyway to check for the existance of certain stuff prior to the install or  is it not meant to be *that* idiot proof...

Hey howard I have a few questions, if you'll entertain them...

What if I wanted to install lazaurus (which I do) but I did NOT want to install latest media player/real player -> but understood I'd lose certain movie fancy pants fuctionality....  is this possible?

I *hate* real player and would rather not have that software grace my cabinet system =P

your advise is appreciated (even if your advice is to sod off)

rampy

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2003, 08:51:20 pm »
Nope you HAVE to install it.  The way vb works is it automatically checks for any external activeX objects prior to loading (and I can't turn this off as an option).  So without much work from me this isn't possible.  

Also as I've said inthe past lazarus is a dead project.  I don't even have a copy of the source now as I've converted it to dx laz.  I made 4.5 final to simply aid in the install process.  (In other wrods to reduce the stupid "I don't have this file" error message quesitons I get on a daily basis)  My focus at this point is dx laz, which doesn't have ANY dependancies other than directx8, which you should have installed already.

And yes your right, I could probably check for the required files, but that would require a lot of work on my part.  (Involving mucking around in the registry, ect...)  Quite frankly, I hate to be mean, but if people can't follow simple instructions then my fe probably isn't the one they need to use anyway, as it's not for the timid or for someone who wants a "quick install."

But with that being said, there are many users which have proven the ability to think on their own and figure out their problems with just a bit of directing by yours truely.  For those peoples' benefit only, I plan to release a helper application when dx laz comes out.  Of course these people that have trouble following instructions will still have problems so it won't make their life any easier. ;)

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2003, 08:55:22 pm »
ah...  when I saw laz 4.5 final I AS*sumed it was the DX latest and greatest laz for some reason...

in your biased opinion... should I bother installl laz or should I wait patiently for dxlaz?  (as I run downstairs and install laz anyways in the meantime... probably)

thanks,

rampy

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2003, 08:59:35 pm »
Well since you are fimiliar with lazarus and how to set it up then I say go ahead and install.  Dx laz uses extremely similar ini files, the same directory structure and the same config files.  As a matter of fact, I instruct my alpha testers to simply install the dx laz.exe  and the new lazarus.ini file on top of an existing install.  Then it works on startup without any real setup.  

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2003, 09:13:08 pm »
well I installed shockwave, vbrun6, that scipt thingie, real player, media player 9... and I got the same error as the orig poster...

you'll have to take my word that I'm not totally retarded...  =P

thoughts/ideas? EDIT are there other requirements that I overlooked?    (FWIW win98SE)

rampy
« Last Edit: March 26, 2003, 09:14:11 pm by rampy »

Odonadon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2006, 12:01:12 am
  • But then again, that's just one man's opinion.
    • Turbo2k
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2003, 11:19:20 pm »
(In other wrods to reduce the stupid "I don't have this file" error message quesitons I get on a daily basis)

K, Howard, I don't want to start anything here, but I believe these issues are due to a poor distribution package - whatever the reasons are.  I certainly didn't notice any messages letting me know I needed Real Player, Media player, etc. etc. before I downloaded and tried to install Lazarus.  Nor is that common sense.  I still dont understand why Real Player is needed.  It's a junk app.  As the person who released this to the public, you brought these "stupid" questions on yourself :).  I'm sure this will all be better with the latest and greatest DXlaz, however.

Odonadon
It's Captain Odonadon, and his magical bag of nuts.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2003, 11:59:16 pm »
Umm because it supports video previews, which are rm files.  It is common sense, it's just people who lack common sense never know they lack it.  :)  Sorry but make a stupid comment.  

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2003, 12:02:13 am »
RealPlayer is used to display videos on the 3D cabinets.  Media Player is mentioned in the docs, but I'm using the stock version that came with Windows 98SE and it works fine; it's used (presumably) for the startup videos and the sound effects.

In Howards defense, I'm sure very few people set out to say, "I'm going to create a FE app for the community".  Most of them probably start out like my jukebox: they write them for their own caninets and their own environment, and release them to the public when people ask for them.  I can tell you that my jukebox has no install application at all; it says "Unzip this and copy the DLL's to your WINDOWS/SYSTEM folder".  Eventually, I may write a proper installer...

The bottom lne is, yes, all of the requirements should clearly be listed first, but the nature of these tools is that they're often designed for the author's fairly specialized environments, then released and maintained for free. I do wish Lazarus wouldn't need Shockwave or Real Player, because I would have absolutely no other reason to install them on a game cabinet....

--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2003, 12:03:03 am »
well I installed shockwave, vbrun6, that scipt thingie, real player, media player 9... and I got the same error as the orig poster...

you'll have to take my word that I'm not totally retarded...  =P

thoughts/ideas? EDIT are there other requirements that I overlooked?    (FWIW win98SE)

rampy

There shouldn't be is the best answer I can give you.....

I included all the files that were in the crappy vb6 generated install from 4.0 and simply made my own install program that works better. (Like no overwriting wmp ect...) That particular error message is too generic for me to figure out.  I'll keep looking, but as I don't have the original source and it works and installs fine on my pc there's not many ways I can find out.

**edit** i run xp, so it is probably something that xp has by default but 98se lacks
« Last Edit: March 27, 2003, 12:07:20 am by Howard_Casto »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2003, 12:31:17 am »
rmoc3260.dll is the only dll I removed as it's part of real player 8.  You could check to see if it's on your system, but you should get a real player related error if it's missing.    

Ryan555

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2010, 06:39:55 pm
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2003, 05:32:19 am »
I am running Win98.
So I will wait until dx laz is released.
I have been using Mame32 in my Cab for 2 years
so I can wait a bit longer :)
I also just realized it's been about 3 years since
I have last posted a message here!

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2003, 08:32:39 am »
fwiw howard...  does the installer do anything (in this case) other than unzip the "source" folder?  I was bored so I just dumped the contents of the zip within a zip into a folder and "ran" lazarus...  i.e. the intro movie played, and  I got to the default laz skin (sans any menu items or images) but by then I didn't feel like making the next step to configure an emu for it =P

I'll check for that .dll later tonight... and stuff...

thanks for your help so far...

rampy

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2003, 06:48:38 pm »
It also registers the shockwave and other xtras/plugins and installs them to their appropriate places.  Are you telling me you got a error message during install?  That has nothing to do with lazarus, and thus you should have told me this.  

I did keep the runme.bat external, however, so in theory you could extract and run the bat manually.

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2003, 09:16:13 pm »
rmoc3260.dll is the only dll I removed as it's part of real player 8.  You could check to see if it's on your system, but you should get a real player related error if it's missing.    

Got this in  c:\windows\system\

rampy

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2003, 09:20:46 pm »
It also registers the shockwave and other xtras/plugins and installs them to their appropriate places.  Are you telling me you got a error message during install?  That has nothing to do with lazarus, and thus you should have told me this.  

I did keep the runme.bat external, however, so in theory you could extract and run the bat manually.

I am saying that (so is the original poster) the setup/install bombs out with that error message ...  *shrug*

it's no big deal... I'm currently using gamelauncher, and trying minwah... but looking for more filter/skinning action... *Shrug*

I dunno.... thanks for your help so far...

rampy

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2019, 05:10:51 pm
  • You know you hear the music in your head...
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2003, 11:18:42 pm »
Well, I have all the components installed that are mentioned previously... (shockwave, realplayer, all the vb components, and media player)

I unfortunatly still get the error message mentioned previously.

It happens after you imput the installation path and click next.

I guess i'll hang out and wait for dxlaz.   ;D
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2003, 11:42:42 pm »
This seemed obvious to me, but you guys are unzipping the 4.5 final zip before you run setup.exe aren't you?  It won't work properly zipped up.  

Zinfari

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 15, 2007, 10:43:59 am
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2003, 12:20:44 am »
Howard,

I have tried everything to get your setup program to work with no luck.  I have been able to get in stalled manually, but the setup program bombs out immediately after I enter the location I want Lazarus installed to.  I get the following error (like everyone else, "Run-time error '429':ActiveX Component can't create object".

Anyway just wanted to let you know.  I was able to install manually using the runme.bat and loading all the components so in some ways the installer still helped as it told me to load realplayer, vb scripts, etc that the Quick Start guide did not.  I'm up now, but I just wanted to let you know that there is still something up.  Just so you have a reference for me here is what I did...

1.  Loaded RealOne Player (version 2, Build 6.0.11.853 - The latest on the web site)
2.  Loaded Macromedia Shockwave (version 8.5.1 - Although their site was screwed up when I tried to install it.  Found it elsewhere)
3.  Loaded VBruntime (link off your site - VBRun60sp5.exe)
4.  Loaded VBScript (link off your site - scr56en.exe
5.  Unzipped the 4.5Final Zip into a folder.  
6.  Media Player was already loaded (but it's version 8, haven't upgraded to 9 yet)
7.  Unzipped the lazarus.zip file into the same folder that I unzipped the 4.5Final zip into.  (didn't do this until I saw your post.  I mis-read your post and thought you were talking about unzipping the lazarus.zip file as well or the setup wouldn't work so I also tried unzipping lazarus.zip into the same folder I unzipped 45Final into as well as unzipping it into a folder called lazarus in that same location.  None of the above worked. )
8.  Ran setup.exe and got the above error.

I'm running XP.

Even now with it up and running through the manual process I can't run the setup.

-Zinfari
« Last Edit: March 28, 2003, 12:24:56 am by Zinfari »

)p(

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2009, 03:38:15 am
  • We are the Galaxians...
    • Emulaxian:cabinet and frontend
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2003, 12:41:42 am »
zinfari check if you did install:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Shockwave 8\Xtras\PNG Import Export.x32

ok and for people who asked me no if 3darcade works this does not mean shockwave is installed or the required xtra is installed on your system for lazarus 4.5 to work...3darcade is selfcontained it has all this stuff in the xtras folder...so you still need to install shockwave and the above xtra to get laz 4.5 going...

peter

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2003, 12:37:18 pm »
This seemed obvious to me, but you guys are unzipping the 4.5 final zip before you run setup.exe aren't you?  It won't work properly zipped up.  

yes of course howard...

Please note: I'm not pissing on your FE, or the issue I'm having with the install... I'm just sharing my experience (which seems to be shared w/others) in order to help track down a possible issue...

I'm sure it'll all the be moot when DXlaz comes to bear (is it going to get a name change? maybe become DXphoenix or something=P running out of resurrection themed names=P)

*shrug* I dunno...  I have a guess that *maybe* I installed the wrong schockwave (i.e. the plugin only or some other nonsense...) is there a baseline shockwave that should be used ( i.e. 8.0, 8.5, 8.51 or MX?) please advise...

again, you'll have to take my word that I'm not retarded (despite your instincts otherwise) and have more than basic computer competancy...  (i.e. I should be a best case scenario user - save for my OS version)

rampy

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2003, 07:01:06 pm »
Rampy you seem to be thinking that I'm calling you stupid or something. I'm not.  The fact is I have to ask the stupid questions before I can get to the hard stuff.  It saves me a lot of time as even the "expert" user trips up on the basic stuff 90% of the time.  I think I've tracked down the problem and it's not a big deal, but it somewhat p*sses me off as a "activeX compliant dll" I got to aid in running zip functions isn't 100% compliant as advertised.  I will have to register it first, which isn't an issue, but a big annoyance.  

For those of you that can't wait please install manually.... to do this simply take the "lazarus.zip" containted in the main zip and extract it to laz's new home.  Then run the runme.bat in the dlls folder.  It's not as clean as the setup install, but it works and thus I kept it there just in case.  Be glad that I did. :)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2003, 07:06:31 pm »
One other thing of note..... Although real one will work with lazarus it's not reccomended.  Real one is even more bloated (if that's even possible) than the classic real player.  I would suggest getting a copy of real player 8, but unfortunately real one is almost impossible to get rid of once installed so you might be stuck with it.  :(

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2003, 09:58:32 pm »
Rampy you seem to be thinking that I'm calling you stupid or something. I'm not.  

It's all good howard,

I didn't really take it that way... i'm just trying to re-assure/emphasise to you that I followed directions correctly =P

I figure you're pretty jaded with truly silly support questions, and that some sort of "real" issue that comes up it might be hard to convince you that it isn't luser error...

But you're right 90% of the time it's usually a "doh! " user problem...

I also could see if someone based their opinion of my intellect on some of my posts (or other exchanges i.e. chat room) ya just might think i'm retarded instead of sardonic... *Shrug* =P

Once I have some free time i'll futz with it some, as I'm excited about some of the sorting features of Laz...

rampy

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2019, 05:10:51 pm
  • You know you hear the music in your head...
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2003, 01:37:57 am »
Howard...

Just wanted to let you know that the manual install worked just fine.  Got everything unzipped and configured and it works like clockwork.

Thanks for the great FE......

I'm torn between Lazarus and 3d Arcade   ??? ;D
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2003, 09:44:31 pm »
The installer is fixed... go download now!!!!
;P

creatine28

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2012, 03:41:48 pm
  • Which way to the Arcade?
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2003, 02:14:54 pm »
I've loading Shockwave, real audio 8, the Vb files, windows media player.  (Think I got it all?)  When I run the installer,  I get an hour glass for a moment while is says that its registering, but then it seems to just sit there and do nothing?  I then  have to Ctrl Alt Del to end the program.  What am I doing wrong, or am I missing something?

Thanks!