Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Happ perfect 360 , It's making a crunching noise.  (Read 11725 times)

RetroJames

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2021, 05:26:38 pm
Re: Happ perfect 360 , It's making a crunching noise.
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2006, 01:47:32 pm »
How you think who it is right. Do men which tournaments win or someone who plays 4fun in  house?

I think 90% of those who buy joysticks to make their own controls are "men which who someone plays 4fun in  house."

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2017, 10:20:56 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2006, 01:49:29 pm »
Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything. 14% of people know that.

BTW, Keypel excellent use of the bathroom.  ;D

RetroJames

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2006, 01:51:01 pm »
The fact is the reviews are not written on behalf of 90% or 20% or shoe% of any group. They are written based on the experience, ability, preference, and observations of the reviewer. Note a kerjillion % of people that may or may not be in the room at the time of the review.  :dizzy:

I can hit the diagonals just fine in fighters and schmups and any other game I try with mag sticks. Maybe I'm just doing it right and your not?

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2006, 01:54:40 pm »
professionals see wade this joystick. How you think who it is right. Do men which tournaments win or someone who plays 4fun in  house?

An interesting point ... should reviews be written only for those who play professionally, or for the much larger population who don't ?

Something to ponder while you pontificate ...

Cheers.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

JackTucky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2021, 12:00:58 pm
  • Soon I will post that I am a triathalete
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2006, 02:01:09 pm »
Reviews are just opinion.  You either trus the opinion of the reviewer or you don't.

The OP should stop reading retroblast.  He has different opinions.

Most of us trust retroblast and KevSteel.  Just like we trust Rex Reed to give us movie reviews.

Jacktucky
Well, that's where we go a-ridin' into town, a whampin' and whompin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life. Except the women folks, of course.

KevSteele

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2021, 08:42:43 am
  • Retrogaming Media Mogul in Rehab
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2006, 02:05:20 pm »
Kowal,

It's blindingly obvious that I'm completely wrong, and my test results must have been made up out of thin air. I apparently don't even have P360s in my cab. I must not even own a cab. I'm not a man. My devious plan to boost Happ's stock prices has backfired.

I will pull down RetroBlast immediately.

;)

(Opinions are like *******s, everyone's got one. You disagree with my opinion. I can live with that.)
Kevin Steele, Former Editor and Publisher of RetroBlast! and GameRoom Magazine

kowal

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 17, 2023, 02:02:16 am
  • Suzo 4ever
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2006, 02:16:39 pm »
Did someone read title of subject? Except me, nobody advised Kypel!
Guys you were not able :angel:
this is whole your knowledge, your only advice is.... RECLAMATION :laugh2:

KevSteele

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2006, 02:24:54 pm »
We bow to you and your infinitely superior mind.

nostrebor

• Not enough wit to effectively use this space...
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2013, 02:02:41 pm
  • SHOCKING!!
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2006, 02:31:53 pm »

Speaking of advise... I've got some for both you and destructor. This is a forum of peers. Each of us deserve respect.

Kevin and James have both been extremely level headed and used the best of manners in responding to your comments. Even when directly called incompetent or a shill to big business. Both you and destructor have been (language barrier notwithstanding) rude and extremely arrogant. I suggest that you agree to disagree, and drop it. The holier-than-thou attitude is getting too deep to stir at this  point, and it is you and destructor who are quickly losing my respect in this discussion, irregardless of who is actually right about this rediculous debate..

RetroJames

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2006, 02:35:35 pm »

Egads your right!

Keypel, forget retruning or replacing the defective stick. Here's what you need to do...

Get 2 gallons of crazy glue, then a bucket of nails, a metal file, a table saw, and a shoe horn.

Once you gather the materials I will post instructions for re-engineering, redesigning, and rebuilding your defective joysticks in a completely new configuration.

:dunno

kowal

• Offline Offline
  • Suzo 4ever
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2006, 02:43:25 pm »
Time will verify this. Such men how Kypel it is more. I described problem and gave solution.
I finish this discussion :angel:

RetroJames

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2006, 02:52:04 pm »

yes, clearly he should rebuild the sticks as described. Much easier and cheaper than replacing or returning them.

miles2912

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2019, 05:30:24 pm
  • My first Home Game. Fairchild System F.
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2006, 03:53:42 pm »
I bought my perfect 360's based on the review at retroblast.    My sticks have conservatively over 200 hours of play on them with out a single performance related problem.  They are smooth and silent.  My fav game is twin cobra - 8 way shooter that needs a lot of diag movement.  I have never - repeat never had the stick miss or hickup. 

This is a year of playing experience talking here.  My buddies love the fighting games and they have never complained about not being able to make a move. 

One of my first P360s would not engage in one direction.  I called Happs and they took it back and sent me a new one.  I had to pay for shipping.  It was pretty steep if I remember $14 or so.  The replacement has been without issue.

The joystick I heard in the video has problems.  If you are sure that it is assembled correctly (I had a real hard time installing the final washer - your video made it look easy) then call Happs and send it back and eat shipping.  Life is too short to sweat a joystick.

D-
  Scratch built upright MAME Cab

kowal

• Offline Offline
  • Suzo 4ever
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2006, 04:29:01 pm »
One of my first P360s would not engage in one direction. 
this is easy to reparation:
push led to centre

it usually helps (you save 14 $ 4 beer) :angel:

JackTucky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2021, 12:00:58 pm
  • Soon I will post that I am a triathalete
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2006, 04:43:57 pm »
I bought my perfect 360's based on the review at retroblast.    My sticks have conservatively over 200 hours of play on them with out a single performance related problem.
D-

Uhh, harpel or karpel or whatever will get 200 hrs in one day!  You are not professional!     :laugh2:

I think Borat's character has some truth to it.  Is Europe holding Robotron tournaments?  That game is a bit old.  Are they also watching the premier of Caddyshack  in the theatres?

-J
Well, that's where we go a-ridin' into town, a whampin' and whompin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life. Except the women folks, of course.

destructor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2019, 03:10:07 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2006, 02:29:36 am »
I bought my P360 after reading RetroBlast review too. After first days of playing my opinion was that reviews is right. I never say that diagonals are mega hard. But what is possible that in RetroBlast review J-Stik and P360 diagonals have the same note? P360 diagonals are not easy as J-Stik, T-Stik, Mag-Stik or other joystick with square restrictor. Please use you brain and think how is possible to hit diagonal on circle restrictor easier than on square. Nobody is arrogant nostrebor, these are facts.
Destructor:

You say 90% of players find diagonals hard on the P360?

I say that 99% of statistics are made up on the spot.
As kowal say, please read opinions on this forum in other topics or on other forums, where are really good players. I use these opinions for this 90%.
Actually I reviewed the MagStik and I did have issues at first with hitting the diags but soon adjusted.
Can you say me what you adjusted in joystick with microswitches and square restrictor?
Uhh, harpel or karpel or whatever will get 200 hrs in one day!  You are not professional!   
Nobody say that hours of playing = strenght of player.
True is here: more hours you play = you know more about controller. But you must play seriously (not during party only :)) and check all details.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 02:51:44 am by destructor »

RobotronNut

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 22, 2018, 11:39:19 am
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2006, 05:16:14 am »
hi guys - i think i can shed some light on this debate by recounting my P360 journey...

i, too, bought P360's with slikstik handles, based on the retroblast review. i used them quite a bit and was happy with them. i'd routinely get into the 500K's in robotron, and my high score was in the low 600Ks.

over time, i began to become a little uneasy. usually, i'd be killed for "the right reasons" - got herded into a corner, was surrounded by a hail of guided missiles, etc. but sometimes i'd think "that wasn't my fault... i knew i needed to shoot in that direction, and i thought i was shooting in that direction, but the shots didn't go where i thought i was pointing the joystick."

then, i saw kowal's post about modding the P360's and decided try out his mods: smaller diameter actuator, shorter handle, lighter spring (the shorter handle gives you less leverage, and your stock spring feels much too strong).

these mods seem very subtle, almost imperceptible, under non-stress situations, like the early levels of robotron, but when things start to get really intense, they make a huge difference. i had the "shots didn't go where i thought i was aiming" experience a lot less, and i started thinking things like "wow, that was a very tight spot, and i'm used to getting killed in situations like that, but somehow i seem to be able to magically sneak out of these tight spots a lot more than i used to." now, i routinely get into 800K's and 900K's, and my high score is 1.3M.

thinking analytically about my game experiences, i realized "the shots didn't go where i thought i was pointing the joystick" was always when i was trying to shoot diagonally. sitting in a calm, near-empty screen on level one of robotron, testing out my joystick, sending shots in all directions, i would have said "the P360's diagonals are fine." but after playing extensively at high levels with and without kowal's mod, i am now convinced that a stock P360 doesn't have enough diagonal. if you took away my kowal-modded P360s, and i could only play with stock P360s, i'd start dying more often from missed diagonals and running out of lives in the 500K's again and i'd become frustrated and scream in disgust, "THESE STOCK P360S HAVE TERRIBLE DIAGONALS."

the same can be said for engagement, which is determined, on a P360, by the diameter of the actuator, the height and weight of the handle, and the strength of the spring. in robotron, engagement matters more for the left-hand (moving) joystick, than the right hand (firing) joystick. the faster engagement of my modded P360s translates into more precise movement and the experience of "i can sneak through tighter spots than i could before." initially, i had no complaints about the engagement of my stock P360s, but after playing with the tighter engagement of my modded P360s, i judge the stock P360s to engage too slowly.

getting back to the current debate, i fully understand why one side can say "stock P360s are great," and the other side can say "stock P360s are terrible," since i myself have held both positions. unfortunately, for kevin and james, i think kowal and destructor have the more "enlightened" position.

since i've realized that i can be happy with something, not knowing something better is out there, i don't assume that my current setup has achieved perfection either. perhaps something will come along that's even better. i'm currently playing with suzo inductives (with another kowal mod) and will probably try the U360s some day. i actually think it's possible to make "the ultimate" joystick; click here for details.

kevin - here's a challenge for you: the modded actuators are available very inexpensively from kowal, and ponyboy can sell you 4" wico handles and happ supers (to steal springs from) also inexpensively. give the kowal mods a try, and see if your opinion of the P360 changes. i'm sure your readers would find it most interesting.

or how about this: i have a pair of kowal-modded P360s and a pair of kowal-modded suzo inductives. if you'll buy me a pair of ball-top U360s with wiring harnesses and restrictor kits, i'll write you "the ultimate robotron joystick shootout" article  ;D
to see my "Frankenpanel" and design notes, click here.

kowal

• Offline Offline
  • Suzo 4ever
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2006, 06:24:16 am »
angle of inclination P360 - 12 degree
crunching sound be generated on 10-11 degree.
shfat which comes in in base!
sfaft P360 has diameter -12,5mm
but metal slave has diameter - 11mm

the wider handle alters the angle of inclination.
angle changes from 12 (wood panel slave) on 8-9 degrees (metal panel slave)
on wider handle problem (crunching) is "masked" it he was generated on 10-11 degree - but still pivot is problem not shaft

the sticks SilkStick have 12,7 mm of diameter. joystick on them less crunching.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 06:34:28 am by kowal »

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2006, 06:37:23 am »
As kowal say, please read opinions on this forum in other topics or on other forums, where are really good players. I use these opinions for this 90%.

Do you mean forums where folks are saying stuff like this:

Quote from: forum to remain unnamed by a poster who was obviously tired of being told what an incompetent he was by "professional gamers"
Exactly. No one wants to argue about this stuff. And yes, there is room for personal preference here. Just because you bust out calipers and break it down to millimeters doesn't make you some kind of unbiased authority figure that everyone else should listen to.

Cheers
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

destructor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2019, 03:10:07 pm
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2006, 06:50:30 am »
I don't say too much about kowal's mod P360. But if RobotronNut begins I can say that RetroBlast review is true for moded P360. RetroJames, try moding your P360, it's very easy, after it your scores will be higher and higher and then you will can say that P360 diagonals are easy and RetroBlast review is right.

And RobotronNut, U360 is incredible joystick, has some small faults (for me spring is wrong for shmup games only. I hear that for fighters 1vs1 something wrong is too, but I didn't test it) but is worth his price. You must try it! Really incredible.

KevSteele

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2006, 08:58:15 am »
RobotronNut,

Thanks for the informative and (dare I say it) friendly post. I certainly don't doubt that the P360 can be improved, and it sounds like the mod does expand the area that engages diagonals, plus lighter and shorter-throw joysticks always help with quick direction changes.

I certainly am always interested in joystick hacks and improvements. This whole conversation took a turn towards flamewar territory because I was basically accused of, well, lying and being a shill for Happs, and of posting inaccurate information, all because destructor disagreed with my opinion of the stock P360.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion...

mr.Curmudgeon

• It's going to hurt your brain. A lot.
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2021, 07:15:49 pm
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2006, 11:46:32 am »
I know for a fact that RetroJames's reviews are written USING a Happs joystick, a few crappy microswitch buttons and some proprietary IM'ing software from GGG! MICROSWITCHES!! Why would he do that when it's obvious that many professional mens prefer leaf switches? Hmmm? And why wouldn't he just type them out using a keyboard like everyone else?

Why? Because Happs OWNZ him!! And if he doesn't respond to this message today, then we all know it's true.

Many mens await his reply!   *mrC taps foot... professionally*

mrC

RetroJames!

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2007, 07:55:34 pm
  • HA!
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2006, 12:04:21 pm »
I know for a fact that RetroJames's reviews are written USING a Happs joystick, a few crappy microswitch buttons and some proprietary IM'ing software from GGG! MICROSWITCHES!! Why would he do that when it's obvious that many professional mens prefer leaf switches? Hmmm? And why wouldn't he just type them out using a keyboard like everyone else?

Why? Because Happs OWNZ him!! And if he doesn't respond to this message today, then we all know it's true.

Many mens await his reply!   *mrC taps foot... professionally*

mrC

Thought I was gone eh? Well pal I always keep an extra BYOAC login in my Retro Belt!

Zakk

• Gosh, that's a real nice... ooh look, a penny! -- That Zakk is Just Mean
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:32:21 am
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2006, 12:07:23 pm »
Umm, I think he was talking to RetroJames, not you.

We are not fooled by your tricks HAPP!  Begone and show us the one true RetroJames! 
Back for nostalgia, based on nostalgia.

RetroJames!

• Offline Offline
  • HA!
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2006, 12:08:49 pm »
I bought my P360 after reading RetroBlast review too. After first days of playing my opinion was that reviews is right. I never say that diagonals are mega hard. But what is possible that in RetroBlast review J-Stik and P360 diagonals have the same note? P360 diagonals are not easy as J-Stik, T-Stik, Mag-Stik or other joystick with square restrictor. Please use you brain and think how is possible to hit diagonal on circle restrictor easier than on square. Nobody is arrogant nostrebor, these are facts.
Destructor:

Actually I reviewed the MagStik and I did have issues at first with hitting the diags but soon adjusted.
Can you say me what you adjusted in joystick with microswitches and square restrictor?
Uhh, harpel or karpel or whatever will get 200 hrs in one day!  You are not professional!   
True is here: more hours you play = you know more about controller. But you must play seriously (not during party only :)) and check all details.

Destructor,

On the "adjustment" portion, that refers to me adjusting to the new feel of the sticks as compared to Wicos which I was using beforehand. No change was made to the magSticks.

RetroJames!

• Offline Offline
  • HA!
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2006, 12:10:20 pm »
Umm, I think he was talking to RetroJames, not you.

We are not fooled by your tricks HAPP!  Begone and show us the one true RetroJames! 

Oh it's me mr waspy gated community!

Zakk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2006, 12:10:30 pm »
Destructor:

Destructor,

On the "adjustment" portion, that refers to me adjusting to the new feel of the sticks as compared to Wicos which I was using beforehand. No change was made to the magSticks.

He can see through your web of lies, oh HAPP employee.  You are just digging yourself in deeper.  None of this will be resolved until RetroJames speaks up for himself.  Next you'll be trying to convince us that you're really him, and NOT a HAPP insider!  If that's the case, why will he not speak?

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2006, 12:26:36 pm »
Thought I was gone eh?

Is this the magazine talking?

Oh, btw, here's James' new uniform:

Zakk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2006, 12:43:30 pm »
Heyyyyyy.  There was a tattooed guy wearing one of those shirts skulking around my bushes.  He didn't have a lightsaber, so I just gave him a dollar and went on inside.  But it couldn't have been James with all those tattoos, right? 

RetroJames!

• Offline Offline
  • HA!
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2006, 01:42:51 pm »

I look nothing like that.

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2006, 02:02:26 pm »
Damn, he posted. Must be because Sir Woogie is owned by Happ now too.   :cry:

mrC

RetroJames!

• Offline Offline
  • HA!
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2006, 02:04:30 pm »

Does that mean no one can log into the Happ site now either?  :laugh2:

Zakk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2006, 02:11:32 pm »
Wait!  The HAPP guy just renamed his account to RetroJames with a clever "!" on the end!  Shenanigans!  What have you done with the RJ with the eleventyzillion posts?

DAMN YOU EVIL HAPP OVERLORD!

goldznnz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2014, 03:28:04 pm
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2014, 07:41:41 pm »
im glad this info on this subject is still archived

I've been around a long time since wico p360 days, and then happ's aquisition of p360, and its slow demise, which really saddens me til this day  :-[

I want to re-assure all those that have these crunchy, grindy, poppy perfect 360's, n bad diagnols/inputs  YOUR PROBLMES ARE REAL!

I've been through them all and have some fixes and some temp fixes and other solutions.  Im only making this post as the P360 is an awesome stick when it is working correctly and would hate for my peddly knowledge to be forever forgotten.

I will update this thread with my problems and fixes, aloha :cheers:

Zakk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2014, 07:23:04 pm »
OMG I was so young back then.