Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Photoshop / Illustrator Question - How do I radius off a square edge?  (Read 3873 times)

AceTKK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2011, 01:14:48 am
If I have a rectange, for example, and I want to round off the edges to a specific radius how do I do it?  Is there a tool that works similar to the "fillet" command in AutoCAD?  If there isn't a tool, is there a popular technique?  I have both Photoshop 6.0 and Illustrator 10.

Thanks,
-Ace-
I want my own arcade controls!

Rasher2k

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2003, 11:34:23 am
  • Dwarf on smoko.
Re:Photoshop / Illustrator Question - How do I radius off a square edge?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2003, 04:54:51 pm »
This hasn't really anything to do with building arcade controls (though you may be creating images for one), but you'd probably get better responses asking these sorts of questions in graphics forums elsewhere. But while I'm here what the hell!  ;)

This is in Photoshop 7.0 but I believe its in 6.0 alse:

There is a [rounded rectangle tool] under the [line tool] in the main toolbar window. There you can define the radius and draw rounded rectangles! You may want to change it from a [shape layer] to a [fill pixels] draw type depending on what you're doing.

Another way is use the [rectangular marquee] and select an area, then in the [select] menu, [modify] and [smooth] the marquee to get curved edges. Enjoy!
Too much blood in the alcohol stream.

Keith O

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2006, 04:55:42 pm
  • Get off me cheese!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2003, 05:18:00 pm »
In Illustrator, select shape (doesn't have to be a rectangle), go to filter>stylize>round corners. Works great and you can put in the actual radius you're looking for.

gnateye

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2011, 11:22:36 am
  • 4 cabs and counting!!!
    • natty's arcade
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2003, 05:47:51 pm »
or, hold down the mouse when yopu are over hte square box in the menu, you will get a few choices one is a rounded corner rectangle, select that.

now click on the drawing area, it will ask you input hieght, width and corner radius.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
After you draw a rectangle, or make any other shape with a square edge you can click on the pen tool's little arrow, select the tool that looks like a little triangle without a bottom- it's the "convert corners" tool. Then you can make corner points into round points. Bezier curves may be a bit difficult at first, but over time they become very useful.
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.