Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Bella's Arcade [FINISHED]  (Read 131101 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
Re: Bella's Arcade: The POWER Button!! (02.05.08)
« Reply #440 on: February 06, 2008, 11:56:20 am »
Dudeman:  I've seen those circle jigs but I don't want to spend the $40 for just this one time use.  I really can't think of when I'd need it again.

ErikRuud: I don't have a drill press but I could still give that a shot.  The hole saw makes a pilot dead center anyway about 1/8" thick.  I will try it this weekend.  It's all that's left to do!

Tiger-Heli

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #441 on: February 06, 2008, 12:19:32 pm »
I think ErikRuud's idea should work well - if necessary clean up the edges of the plexi with a file or sandpaper after cutting it out and you should be good to go!
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

Neverending Project

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2015, 10:07:43 pm
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #442 on: February 06, 2008, 01:00:11 pm »
I posted this in your thread asking Randy to make a run of plastic dustwashers for you, but basically - have you checked a place like Tap Plastics?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #443 on: February 06, 2008, 02:11:28 pm »
I posted this in your thread asking Randy to make a run of plastic dustwashers for you, but basically - have you checked a place like Tap Plastics?

I just did... unfortunately shipping kills it for something this small ($8 shipping for a $0.55 item).  Great site though.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Re: Bella's Arcade: The Coin Door Lights!! (02.06.08)
« Reply #444 on: February 06, 2008, 02:18:10 pm »
The Coin Door Lights

How could I forget about the coin door lights?!?!? No arcade machine is truly complete without lighting up the coin door return buttons. Shortly after getting the cabinet in a playable state, theCoder hooked me up with some LEDs for the return buttons.  He wired two LEDs controlled by a circuit board and ran it all to a regular power plug and sent it to me for FREE!!!  All I had to do was plug it in and mount the lights behind the yellow coin return buttons. The only snag (if you could even call it that) was figuring out how to mount the LEDs so the light is evenly distributed. This really couldn't have been any easier and it looks great - especially when there no other lights in the room other than the marquee.

Unfortunately, the only pictures I have are of the installation and not the end result. Since the LEDs kind of pulsate slowly and randomly, there's no good way to show them off with a picture.

In this first picture you can see the green circuit board, the plug and the two white LEDs:

I used scotch tape (seriously) to secure both lights in place behind the coin return buttons in a place that seemed to evenly distribute the light. Pretty easy.

Thanks theCoder!!

The Coin Box

OK, I think we can agree that this is getting a bit tedious, right? I'm forcing myself to cross the finish line within the next week. I am about to have a few free days to work on my new project and I want this one to be complete or else I fear, much like my first project, it never will be (I'll finish it eventually!). Most of the time I used to spend working on these things has been getting sucked away because of Rock Band. I'm addicted.

Anyway, I finally put the coin box in the cabinet. There's no magic here - I took a cardboard box and wrapped it in duct tape to give it some added strength. Then I printed out the marquee and stuck it to the front for show. The only consideration was making sure it was big enough to catch quarters/tokens from both coin mechs. Here it is:

Try to contain yourselves.

:cheers:

mountain

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 11:42:28 am
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
Re: Bella's Arcade: The Coin Door Lights!! (02.06.08)
« Reply #445 on: February 06, 2008, 02:59:16 pm »
The Coin Door Lights
Here it is:

Try to contain yourselves.

Mamey! Mamey!!
  ;D

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #446 on: February 06, 2008, 03:59:30 pm »
I just did... unfortunately shipping kills it for something this small ($8 shipping for a $0.55 item).  Great site though.

There is a Tap Plastics right next to my Home Depot, which I need to go to soon anyway. PM me your address and I will pick you up a few and stick them in an envelope. Are you in the US? How many do you want?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #447 on: February 06, 2008, 04:41:00 pm »

There is a Tap Plastics right next to my Home Depot, which I need to go to soon anyway. PM me your address and I will pick you up a few and stick them in an envelope. Are you in the US? How many do you want?

PM sent!  Woo hoo!!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Re: Bella's Arcade: Poor Video!! (03.04.08)
« Reply #448 on: March 03, 2008, 09:48:21 pm »
And now for your viewing pleasure...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZCzulbwcDU[/youtube]

I apologize for the poor quality of the video - this is my first attempt at filming something.  I shot it in my basement and there are barely any lights down there but you get the idea. When I finally move the thing upstairs I'll be sure to post something a little nicer...with more light.

Enjoy!

waveryder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2011, 04:26:17 am
  • I Troop, therefore I am
    • BubbleGum Custom Art
Re: Bella's Arcade: Video!! (03.04.08)
« Reply #449 on: March 04, 2008, 03:14:28 am »
Very cool  :notworthy:
Beautiful piece of work. You'd almost be forgiven for thinking that windows wasn't there. You need to get rid of that windows welcome screen though. Amazing stuff javeryh. :applaud:

Edit: Thought this might help
To disable the Welcome screen open the Registry editor and go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\WinLogon
In the right pane, remove the entry for Gina.DLL.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 03:27:11 am by waveryder »
When pixelated clipart just wont do, just call for Betty

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #450 on: March 04, 2008, 09:55:21 am »
Thanks!!  Did you notice the slick MaLa layout?  I've been lazy and I haven't replaced the black button background with the plain female icon background yet.  ;D  It's a pain to tweak stuff at the moment because the keyboard and mouse are just crammed underneath behind the coin door. - I want to get a wireless set so I can just pull out the keyboard and mouse when I need to do something and not open up the cabinet.  It would be frivolous though and they are expensive...

I definitely want to remove the welcome screen - I'll try doing that tonight.  There's also a screen from what I think is the video card that appears just before the boot screen.  I wonder if I can take that out too.  I also need to disable the screen saver - I noticed that after about 5 minutes I get an ugly sideways windows logo that floats around.  I'd also like to get rid of the Start bar that flashes on the right for a second but I'm not sure if that's possible.  Finally, I need to replace the windows start up sound with something a little cooler and arcadey.  I have no idea what to make it though.   Maybe I'll record my daughter saying "Welcome to my arcade machine" or something.  I've been thinking about adding one of the "arcade ambiance" tracks to the background of MaLa for when you are browsing the game lists too.

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #451 on: March 04, 2008, 12:31:26 pm »
One word: awesomenal.

You can really see the glossy shine on that finish!

But... what's with the black dust washer?  ;)

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
« Reply #452 on: March 04, 2008, 12:43:44 pm »
Take a look at the Wiki http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Hiding_Windows  This may help you with the final tuning of the boot up process.  How about using the Frogger start up sound?  There is a song called 'Froggy's Lament' that features that music.

TTFN
Kaytrim

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #453 on: March 05, 2008, 09:59:24 am »
One word: awesomenal.

You can really see the glossy shine on that finish!

But... what's with the black dust washer?  ;)

Thanks!  That black dustwasher is giving me a headache just thinking about it.  It's one of those things that no one would ever notice in a million years but it's all I see when I look at the CP because I've become obsessed.  I really really really need to figure something out.   :cheers:

Take a look at the Wiki http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Hiding_Windows  This may help you with the final tuning of the boot up process.  How about using the Frogger start up sound?  There is a song called 'Froggy's Lament' that features that music.

TTFN
Kaytrim

Ahhh, Froggy's Lament.... I know it well.  I still have my original Pac-man Fever record!   :cheers:

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #454 on: March 05, 2008, 10:54:32 am »
Get a can of spray paint and paint the dust washer pink like the rest of the cab.

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #455 on: March 05, 2008, 02:52:14 pm »
Looks great and it all looks like it was originally built for that cab (except for the windows screen and start up sound, get rid of that!).

Nice work!

MK3FAN

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2022, 07:07:29 pm
« Reply #456 on: March 05, 2008, 08:43:26 pm »
Very nice! Congrats!
Current collection - 28 cabs, 4 pins. (32 machines and not enough room)

arcadefever

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 03, 2009, 09:45:05 pm
  • Miami Beach Florida
« Reply #457 on: March 05, 2008, 10:49:25 pm »
 :cheers: this is a very nice cab, i really enjoyed the video  :D

well done  :notworthy:

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 04:15:46 pm
  • what day is it...
« Reply #458 on: March 06, 2008, 07:56:58 am »
In your video you say you are running windows 98 an mala. you are using xp right?

Neil

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #459 on: March 06, 2008, 08:09:26 am »
I want to get a wireless set so I can just pull out the keyboard and mouse when I need to do something and not open up the cabinet.  It would be frivolous though and they are expensive...
Errrm, if you consider $20 expensive (which I often do). ..

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0228208 (There's a store in Paterson, if that's near you).

http://www.pricewatch.com/keyboards/wireless_keyboard_combo.htm
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #460 on: March 06, 2008, 09:14:23 am »
Get a can of spray paint and paint the dust washer pink like the rest of the cab.

That's not a bad idea for a stopgap solution until I get the plexiglass one sorted out.  Hmmm....   

Looks great and it all looks like it was originally built for that cab (except for the windows screen and start up sound, get rid of that!).

Nice work!

Thanks!  Last night I figured out how to remove the "welcome" screen and the "exiting windows" screen as well as remove all desktop icons and hide the taskbar (it still pops up for a split second though).  Next on the list is the changing the windows loading and shutting down sounds.  I also want to remove the mouse arrow (I'll probably change it to be one black pixel or something). I'm getting close to completely hiding the PC!    :cheers:

Very nice! Congrats!

Thanks!

:cheers: this is a very nice cab, i really enjoyed the video  :D

well done  :notworthy:

Thanks!  I'm going to make another one eventually since the current one doesn't really do it justice...

In your video you say you are running windows 98 an mala. you are using xp right?

Neil

Yup.  I must get nervous on camera!  I realized it after I posted it...   

I want to get a wireless set so I can just pull out the keyboard and mouse when I need to do something and not open up the cabinet.  It would be frivolous though and they are expensive...
Errrm, if you consider $20 expensive (which I often do). ..

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0228208 (There's a store in Paterson, if that's near you).

http://www.pricewatch.com/keyboards/wireless_keyboard_combo.htm

Wow!  Those aren't expensive... and Paterson is fairly close too.  I was looking around a few weeks ago and I kept coming up with $20 for each and I couldn't justify sinking another $40 into this thing for something totally frivolous but I'll bite at $20!  Thanks!!!

superbigjay

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 02:50:03 pm
  • I'll always be a kid...
    • superbigjay website
« Reply #461 on: March 11, 2008, 08:13:15 am »
Thanks!!  Did you notice the slick MaLa layout? 

Hello Javeryh,

Sorry that I didn't respond to your last request...
I've been more busy than I thought with Edouard, even though is sleeping almost 10hrs per night  :cheers:

From your video, I gues that you figured out yourself how to do it.
Your layout is pretty slick...  Congrats!

Jay

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #462 on: March 11, 2008, 08:38:49 am »
great work!
Awesome job..
Im glad to see your work and efforts delivering good fruit..
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #463 on: March 11, 2008, 08:57:24 am »
Thanks!!  Did you notice the slick MaLa layout? 

Hello Javeryh,

Sorry that I didn't respond to your last request...
I've been more busy than I thought with Edouard, even though is sleeping almost 10hrs per night  :cheers:

From your video, I gues that you figured out yourself how to do it.
Your layout is pretty slick...  Congrats!

Jay

No worries Jay - without your initial help I never would have been able to get it looking like it does now.  Thanks!!  Believe me, I know how busy kids can keep you!

mountain

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 11:42:28 am
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #464 on: March 11, 2008, 06:36:58 pm »
You may want to look into getting a Media Center wireless keyboard with mouse feature built in, like this. I have one for my cabinet and it works great. I have a piece of velcro on top of the machine that holds it when it is not in use.

On another note, I am still waiting to hear back about the dust washers. I will let you know.

Doctor Ugs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 14, 2011, 02:56:58 pm
  • Arcade addict since 1980
« Reply #465 on: April 03, 2008, 09:57:04 pm »
Really nice job.

I have a question though about  the black interior(of side panels), did you do the same steps as the pink?
Is is a flat black? You can never really tell with a picture.
"My memory is so bad,
Alzheimer's would be an improvement!"

My Project Thread, 2 Mame Cabs.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #466 on: April 04, 2008, 10:56:45 am »
Really nice job.

I have a question though about  the black interior(of side panels), did you do the same steps as the pink?
Is is a flat black? You can never really tell with a picture.

Thanks.  I used several coats of black enamel paint (over two coats of an oil based primer).  I painted it with a foam roller and it came out surprisingly well.  The paint was a little thinner than the latex I'm used to so maybe that helped it dry evenly.  It's not totally perfect but the black really does a great job of hiding any imperfections.   :cheers:

ratzz

« Reply #467 on: April 06, 2008, 06:44:18 am »
 :applaud: Nice one Jayeryh

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Re: Bella's Arcade: FINAL IN-ROOM PICS!! (02.17.09)
« Reply #468 on: February 17, 2009, 03:45:11 pm »
Well, it's been a very long time coming but over the weekend the wife agreed to put Bella's Arcade in her room in the exact spot I originally envisioned it when I started.  I had my dad's help lifting it up the stairs and I think I destroyed my back but it was worth it. 

My daughter LOVES it and she is so excited to have an arcade machine of her own in her room - her reaction was thanks enough.

The attached pictures speak for themselves.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out with this project!

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #469 on: February 17, 2009, 04:03:26 pm »
That little toy just fits perfectly there.  Nice job on getting the wife to agree.  Of course I'm sure that Bella had a hand in the convincing too. :cheers:

Michael

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #470 on: February 18, 2009, 12:23:30 am »
Wow, I really didn't think it was that small!

Looks great though!

Trebeck

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 11:01:21 am
  • "The Arcade" - Build #4
« Reply #471 on: February 18, 2009, 01:47:26 am »
Awesome job!

;D

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #472 on: February 18, 2009, 05:00:11 am »
u SURE this is not your room??

looks good lol

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #473 on: February 18, 2009, 05:26:20 am »
Great work JH!!

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #474 on: February 18, 2009, 09:08:59 am »
Thanks everyone!  Here are a few more pics with the machine on.  I have no idea how to take a picture without the flash that doesn't make the marquee look all washed out.  I assure you it is beautiful - especially in a dark room!

When I get around to it I'll have to take a few pics with Bella playing or something so you can get a sense of the scale.  It is small (80% of original Ms. Pac-man size - about 50" tall) but it is perfect for an adult to sit in a chair and play.  Bella still needs a step stool to reach the controls and see the screen!

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #475 on: February 18, 2009, 10:50:41 am »
How awesome does that look?!!  8)  :applaud:

Did you use the same painting technique for the walls?  ;D

I want a kid just so I can build them a mini cab for there room!   :P

rol

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2011, 10:06:02 pm
« Reply #476 on: February 20, 2009, 03:19:23 pm »
I'm not showing my wife this.
Excellent job. Didn't realize initially it was so small. Looks great there.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #477 on: February 21, 2009, 05:18:20 pm »
Beautiful.....from start to finish a great project with the best reward of all, your little girl now able to enjoy it. 

Flip_Willie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 02, 2020, 11:20:46 pm
    • FlipWillie's Site
« Reply #478 on: February 28, 2009, 08:17:36 pm »
Wow, good job.

By the way, I just noticed kotaku wrote up a small article about your cabinet.

http://kotaku.com/5162129/and-how-much-does-your-dad-love-you

Congratulations.

Just as it is,
Flip Willie

BASS!

• Just have fun.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2013, 03:12:33 am
« Reply #479 on: March 01, 2009, 05:36:25 am »
Yeah Jav, just had to jump in and say good job! You really poured your heart into this.