Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Bella's Arcade [FINISHED]  (Read 131111 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
Re: Bella's Arcade: Plans? We Don't Need No Stinkin' Plans (08.17.07)
« Reply #360 on: August 30, 2007, 09:16:50 pm »
Jav, what's the latest?

(just doing my bit to make this thread current again)

I'm taking forever to set up the computer and make gamelists and stuff.  Construction is pretty much done.  If I had a free afternoon I could probably finish it in a few hours... but the kids take up all my time!

Austin.Wolff

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2011, 03:53:32 pm
« Reply #361 on: August 30, 2007, 11:23:52 pm »
For the sake of not reading through 10 pages...where did you buy your t-molding?  It's an unusual color and I'm having trouble finding one of the same sorts.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #362 on: August 31, 2007, 09:06:50 am »
For the sake of not reading through 10 pages...where did you buy your t-molding?  It's an unusual color and I'm having trouble finding one of the same sorts.

I got it at Dream Arcades - http://www.dreamarcades.com/partstmold/index.shtml

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #363 on: September 02, 2007, 12:48:10 am »
Looks super, I love the Marquee art!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Re: Bella's Arcade: The Plug (09.26.07)
« Reply #364 on: September 26, 2007, 11:47:20 am »
It's about time. After a month of nothing (wow 2 kids are a lot of work) I finally manned up and cut open my SmartStrip plug. The goal is to splice the plug to a recepticle on the exterior of the rear panel of the cabinet. I'm still a little nervous about this process but I'm reasonably positive (99%) that I did this safely and correctly.

I bought a plastic box at Home Depot for $2 and the idea is to completely seal off the wiring block and any chance of someone touching a live wire. The wire from the SmartStrip goes in one end and the wires from the plug recepticle go in the other - pretty basic stuff. This is about as safe as I think I can make it. Here's the box:

And here is kind of sort of what I'm trying to accomplish... actually, I don't even know why I took these pictures but here you go:

Here's the exciting "before" picture of the plug. Wow.

And here is the "after" shot. It was like ripping off a band-aid. I just closed my eyes and made the cut with my trusty utility knife.

At this point there was no turning back. Inside, there were three wires representing positive (white), negative (black) and ground (green). The next step was stripping each of these wires to expose about 1/4" of the interior copper wire. Thie next picture shows the three wires (but not stripped).

I matched these wires up to the wires in the wiring block that spacies set up for me. All I really had to do was screw them into the wiring block attached to the plug recepticle. This is how it ended up before I closed the plastic box:

Here are the final shots of everything all closed up:

I'm not totally finished with this (I should be tonight) and I plan on wrapping the wiring block in electrical tape before closing up the plastic box for good. Also, the last thing I want to do is somehow cover the back of the plug recepticle with either electrical tape or some sort of foam - I can still see metal sticking out and I can only assume that once the cabinet is plugged in it will be "hot" all the time whether the computer is on or off.  Any ideas on how to do this?  Foam seems kind of permanent and messy (not like I'll be taking it apart ever but still...).

I want to be sure 1000% sure that there is zero chance of something going wrong or someone getting hurt.  My daughter is only 3 and she's curious. If she managed to open up the door on the front and crawl inside I don't want to have to worry about her getting hurt.

That's all for now.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 11:49:29 am by javeryh »

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
« Reply #365 on: September 26, 2007, 11:54:48 am »
If you want to extra careful, you may be over doing it but with little ones you never know.  Use some hot glue.  I did on Dad's Bartop.  The link will take you directly to the post that shows the install of the plug.

TTFN
Kaytrim

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #366 on: September 26, 2007, 12:01:54 pm »
As far as little kids being inquisitive I have a story to tell about my son.  He was about 2-3 years old playing behind me while I was working on my home computer.  Next thing I know is that he is crying his eyes out.  I ask him what is wrong and he says "It bit me!" pointing to the wall socket.  I look at the socket and here is a bent paper clip stuck in the socket.  Needless to say the paper clip was bridged across the two slots and now live.  I had to use a pair of pliers to pull it out so I didn't get 'bit' too.  :laugh2:  We can laugh about it now but it could have been a serious situation.

TTFN
Kaytrim

mountain

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 11:42:28 am
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #367 on: September 26, 2007, 01:06:18 pm »
Those things do bite from time to time.

I don't think you have anything to worry about though. The exposed metal you are worried about is already protected by an enclosure...the cabinet.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #368 on: September 26, 2007, 01:15:36 pm »
Can someone tell me if I wired it properly?  I went green to green [ground - I'm pretty sure about this], black to black [negative] and white to red [positive].

What happens if I reverse positive and negative?

Thanks!

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #369 on: September 26, 2007, 01:27:07 pm »
Your good to go there.  Plug that baby in and let 'er rip. :applaud:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #370 on: September 26, 2007, 01:32:20 pm »
Your good to go there.  Plug that baby in and let 'er rip. :applaud:

Thanks Kaytrim - puts my mind at ease.  Also, that hot glue tip is great.  I'm definitely going to fire up the glue gun after I get the thing installed and go to town.

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #371 on: September 26, 2007, 01:44:37 pm »
If you have it wired wrong you should only trip the circuit breaker in your fusebox.  To be real sure that you have things right take a multi-meter set on continuity and check which wires go to which prongs on the outlets.  You should have results like this little diagram I drew for you.

MinerAl

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2023, 07:11:28 am
  • duck
« Reply #372 on: September 26, 2007, 04:02:13 pm »
Hot glue works great, unless you have a short or draw too much current... then it melts and runs all over.  Use a two part (non-conductive) epoxy instead.  It's permanent-er though.

spacies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2015, 03:40:49 am
« Reply #373 on: September 26, 2007, 04:31:03 pm »

I don't want to throw a spanner in the works but I am not sure about the wiring.

Reason? Yesterday I purchased a new LCD. It came with 2 power cables. 1 for NZ/OZ and the other USA.
Rather than cut a good cable, I cut the plug end off the US one instead to be hard wired into a cocktail.

Because we have different colour wires I thought it would be best to double check to make sure I had it right.
I was sure in my mind White was positive (hot, live.) Well I was wrong. It was the Black.

On the end of the plug that goes into the monitor it has little letters under each hole.

L (live, positive, hot) was Black
N (neutral) was white
Green is earth.

I tested this with a Multi Meter and was amazed that I had this wrong because it seemed obvious that white was Live.  :-\

JaveryH. Please double check you wiring and can someone tell me wtf is going on?

Dudeman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 30, 2023, 06:30:25 pm
  • Ecky ecky ecky ecky P'Tang! Zoop-boing mmmzoesm...
« Reply #374 on: September 26, 2007, 04:39:19 pm »
US Electrical code

Black and Red are hot
White is neutral (which is electrically the same as ground because the both go to ground at the breaker panel)
Green or bare is ground

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #375 on: September 26, 2007, 04:44:06 pm »
I'm really confused now as to which is positive and which is negative.  I did a little googling and found this:  

With American and Canadian plugs, if you look directly at a socket, the ground socket will be at a bottom, the live slot is on the right and the neutral slot is on the left. If the plug is polarized, the widest slot is the neutral connector.

This would make the black wire in my plug positive and the white wire negative, right?  I'm sure the green is ground.
I think I need to reverse the black and white wires but I'm not sure.  

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #376 on: September 26, 2007, 04:50:48 pm »

I don't want to throw a spanner in the works but I am not sure about the wiring.

Reason? Yesterday I purchased a new LCD. It came with 2 power cables. 1 for NZ/OZ and the other USA.
Rather than cut a good cable, I cut the plug end off the US one instead to be hard wired into a cocktail.

Because we have different colour wires I thought it would be best to double check to make sure I had it right.
I was sure in my mind White was positive (hot, live.) Well I was wrong. It was the Black.

On the end of the plug that goes into the monitor it has little letters under each hole.

L (live, positive, hot) was Black
N (neutral) was white
Green is earth.

I tested this with a Multi Meter and was amazed that I had this wrong because it seemed obvious that white was Live.  :-\

JaveryH. Please double check you wiring and can someone tell me wtf is going on?

spacies - just to clarify what you sent me:

Green: Ground
Red: Live (Hot) - this is what you also looped the switch into
Black: Neutral

If this is right then it eliminates 1/2 the problem I think.... so I should go GREEN to green (ground), RED to black (positive) and BLACK to white (negative), right? (the all caps represent the wires you sent me).

We can figure it out!  Thanks again for the help!

spacies

• Offline Offline
« Reply #377 on: September 26, 2007, 04:58:51 pm »
No worries.

Mate, I know nothing about you crazy Americans wiring system. I thought you ran off a dedicated 110V system but on a HiFi forum I read guys have their houses wired with 220/240V as well?  :dizzy:  :dizzy:

All I know is that the plug I cut off had the wires all mixed up. In fact I think I am going to rip it out and use another that I know is right. Don't listen to me, I'm being overly paranoid about something I know little about, but I do know that plug that I cut off, the Black is Live.

Can someone help this guy out please before we never see him again!

Just kidding Muwhahahahahahahaaaaa   :laugh2:

Dudeman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #378 on: September 26, 2007, 05:03:01 pm »
That drawing you have there javeryh is correct for US wiring.

Not sure about OZ but here,

BLACK IS HOT!!!

EDIT:
To be sure you understand, I'm not talking out my arse. I was an electrician's helper for years before I went into to military and a little after also. Black is ALWAYS hot. Red is also used for hot (and for switch legs, but that is another subject). White is neutral, and green is ground. If we use a white wire for hot, code requires it be wrapped in black so future electricians know it's hot when they see it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 05:11:55 pm by Dudeman »

spacies

• Offline Offline
« Reply #379 on: September 26, 2007, 05:13:53 pm »
Ok,

Here we go:

Note the letters on the plug.  I have the the red prong in the L socket.
You can see in the background the other end of the Multi Meter with the black wire twisted around it and the Multi Meter digits confirming @ 0.00 there is a complete circuit.

That suggest Black is Live, Hot *edit* Do not touch, If you touch you will not pass GO and collect $200  :laugh2:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 05:18:00 pm by spacies »

spacies

• Offline Offline
« Reply #380 on: September 26, 2007, 05:26:12 pm »

Dudeman, Thanks for your input. I knew I was right but needed someone to confirm.

JaveryH. Please wire as follows.

My red wire = your Black. This is LIVE.
My Black wire = your White. This is NEUTRAL.
My Green = your Green.

Dudeman, please confirm. So we can end this LOL  :cheers:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #381 on: September 26, 2007, 05:31:51 pm »

Dudeman, Thanks for your input. I knew I was right but needed someone to confirm.

My Green = your Green.

Awesome - thanks for the help.  I need to switch my black and white wires. 

Oh, and to answer your question from the other thread, yes, I will be puttin this on the back of my cabinet and yes I realize I have to take everything apart to get it in there - this was more of a test run to make sure the wiring is correct (good think I did).  I'm cutting the hole in the cabinet as soon as I get home tonight.  There's a good chance I will have a fully playable 99.9% complete cabinet before I go to bed with software tweaking being the only thing left to do.

Dudeman - I'd also appreciate confirmation of spacies post just to be super sure.

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #382 on: September 26, 2007, 05:33:14 pm »
I think that you have your wires crossed spacies.  If I am reading the plug correct in your pic the black is 'L' for Live or Hot.  Green will be ground and red will be Neutral.

so the wiring should be like this....

Red => White
Black => Black
Green => Green

Dudeman correct me if I am wrong as well.

superbigjay

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 02:50:03 pm
  • I'll always be a kid...
    • superbigjay website
« Reply #383 on: September 26, 2007, 05:34:25 pm »
I confirm this.

The wire color code for your electrical wire is:
black = live
white = neutral
green or "naked" = ground

On your switch
red = live
black = neutral
green = ground

Also, when you have a switch, it's always the live wire that it open/close.
In your case red=live

So, as spacies said:

Cable --- switch
black - red
white - black
green - green

have fun, and update your will...
just kidding  :laugh2:

Dudeman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #384 on: September 26, 2007, 05:38:34 pm »

My Green = your Green.

That is correct.

And yes, we also run 220 here. Mostly it is for large appliances such as dryer, water heater, stove, AC. Some people also run it into their shops if the are using stuff like large 220 welders, etc.

spacies

• Offline Offline
« Reply #385 on: September 26, 2007, 05:40:05 pm »
I think that you have your wires crossed spacies.  If I am reading the plug correct in your pic the black is 'L' for Live or Hot.  Green will be ground and red will be Neutral.

so the wiring should be like this....

Red => White
Black => Black
Green => Green

Dudeman correct me if I am wrong as well.

No mate. You are incorrect. It is the Live that is always on the switch and runs across the fuse. So the plug I sent to JaveryH, the RED is LIVE and therefore runs through the switch and across the fuse.  :cheers:

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #386 on: September 26, 2007, 05:40:29 pm »
I guess my wires were crossed. ::)  Thanks for the clarification Dudeman.

TTFN

Dudeman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #387 on: September 26, 2007, 05:48:17 pm »
Just so we are all on the same page.

Jav said in post #368

"Can someone tell me if I wired it properly?  I went green to green [ground - I'm pretty sure about this], black to black [negative] and white to red [positive]."

Going on this statement:

Green to green is correct.
Black to black is WRONG. It should be black to red.
White to red is WRONG. It should be white to black.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 05:51:58 pm by Dudeman »

spacies

• Offline Offline
« Reply #388 on: September 26, 2007, 05:49:56 pm »
I guess my wires were crossed. ::)  Thanks for the clarification Dudeman.

TTFN

Its all good.

It would be much simpler if we all had the same wiring system huh?!

Im in New Zealand BTW, not OZ. Fffttttt.

We have it right. RED = HOT. Kinda makes sense ie Red Hot. Do not touch. BURN!  >:D
                           BLACK = NEUTRAL. Its, well, Black. A nothing colour. Neutral in fact.
                           GREEN = EARTH. Just like the green grass outside. Maybe not in the US?   :laugh2:

JAVERYH. Hurry and finish this thing already.
Oh yeah, you have 23,000+ views. Impressive man.

spacies

• Offline Offline
« Reply #389 on: September 26, 2007, 05:53:01 pm »

Dudeman.

I concur that the pic you posted is right.

All in favour, say 'I'

Dudeman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #390 on: September 26, 2007, 05:54:01 pm »
Actually we use red for hot also.

Your from New Zealand? I have a friend from there, maybe you know her!  

:laugh2:

Dudeman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #391 on: September 26, 2007, 05:54:58 pm »

Dudeman.

I concur that the pic you posted is right.

All in favour, say 'I'

No it's not. It says "OZ".

spacies

• Offline Offline
« Reply #392 on: September 26, 2007, 06:01:15 pm »
Actually we use red for hot also.

Your from New Zealand? I have a friend from there, maybe you know her! 

:laugh2:

Theres only 4 million people here so I'm bound to know her  :laugh2:  :laugh2:

Anyway, who would trust me?

>:D  >:D  >:D  >:D  >:D  >:D  >:D   >:D  >:D

superbigjay

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 02:50:03 pm
  • I'll always be a kid...
    • superbigjay website
« Reply #393 on: September 26, 2007, 06:04:06 pm »
We have it right. RED = HOT. Kinda makes sense ie Red Hot. Do not touch. BURN!  >:D
                           BLACK = NEUTRAL. Its, well, Black. A nothing colour. Neutral in fact.
                           GREEN = EARTH. Just like the green grass outside. Maybe not in the US?   :laugh2:
Yeah, I agree your colors makes way more sens than our Canadian/US colors...

JAVERYH. Hurry and finish this thing already.
Oh yeah, you have 23,000+ views. Impressive man.
Yeah 23K!!!, but about 1500 from that color code topic...  :laugh2:
I think that I'm gonna ask this question in my post  ;)

!!!! see what I mean, just the time to type this and I got this msg:
   Warning - while you were typing 3 new replies have been posted.
   You may wish to review your post.

BTW Javeryh,
it's nice to see your project is almost done.  It gives me hope...
I'm almost done with my artwork, but lost few hours Tuesday because the dog got sprayed by a skunk at 2AM  :banghead:
and the wife requested (in a non negotiable way) that I install shelves in the wardrobe for the new one, which I did last night between 22h00-01h30AM.
Afterwhich I took the dog out (WITH its leash...)

And as for Spacies, I say: "I"

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #394 on: September 26, 2007, 06:04:53 pm »
 :notworthy: to all for clearing this up.  I will swap the black and white wires tonight when I premanently install it in the cabinet.   I'm so glad I took the time to ask instead of just making a wild guess (although I should have known since I always invariably make the wrong decision when presented with 2 options).

Tonight I'm also relocating the power button on my computer to somewhere easier to reach on the cab (inside though, I think).  Then it's just a matter of moving the computer from my table to inside the cabinet (the software is mostly set up)!!  This project has been a long time in the making (going on a year in November) and I definitely couldn't have done it without all the great advice around here.

:cheers:

spacies

• Offline Offline
« Reply #395 on: September 26, 2007, 06:15:51 pm »

Lucky I purchased that LCD yesterday otherwise you would have blown your cab to bits. Having the polarities wrong can equal the end for most electronics. Not lightbulbs though  :dizzy:

Although Dudeman saved your ass earlier.

A great thing has come from this discussion, if you don't know or you are not sure about something.....ASK!! Everyone has to learn from somewhere.

*whistles through missing teeth as says* Even us old timers sonny.

mountain

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 11:42:28 am
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #396 on: September 26, 2007, 06:18:58 pm »
javeryh,

There is only one way to approach this issue. Grab yourself a meter and use the diagrams I posted in your other thread. Match them up...done

spacies

• Offline Offline
« Reply #397 on: September 26, 2007, 06:29:56 pm »
javeryh,

There is only one way to approach this issue. Grab yourself a meter and use the diagrams I posted in your other thread. Match them up...done

Correct. Mountain posted the right pic in Post #11 in your other thread.

USA Black = HOT = NZ Red
USA White = Neutral = NZ Black
USA Green = Ground = NZ Green

USA = JaveryH.   NZ = Spacies Plug.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #398 on: September 27, 2007, 08:07:01 pm »
it works! no explosion yet.  i'm wrapping in electrical tape now and moving the computer inside. should have a playable cab tonight! :cheers:

Dudeman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #399 on: September 27, 2007, 09:02:04 pm »
 :cheers:

Congrats on not letting the magic blue smoke go!