Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Bella's Arcade [FINISHED]  (Read 132219 times)

GAtekwriter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 16, 2011, 09:55:44 am
Re: Bella's Arcade: Construction Complete (STUCK ON SETUP) Grrr...
« Reply #320 on: June 24, 2007, 08:23:55 pm »
A few thoughts:

1.  Have you gone into the BIOS and configured it to boot off the CD?  (It's different for every PC, but usually involves hitting an F# key at some point or some combination of SHIFT-ALT or other)

2.  One thought if you keep having problems is to download a bootable floppy image that can install a stripped down version of DOS.  This will allow you to use FDISK to look at the partitions to make sure they exist and are configured properly - you need a primary partition set for a bootable CD like XP to install.

3.  If the PC is booting off the PC, is it showing a white progress bar along the bottom that says "Checking Hardware" and "Copying Files" or stuff like that?  If you're not seeing that part, then XP is definitely not installing and it could be a bunch of things.

4.  If XP install isn't starting (#3 above), be sure to check a few simple things first - make sure your memory modules are inserted completely and haven't wiggled out.  Check all the cables to make sure nothing has gotten disconnected - hard drive is a big one :)  check both ends of the cable that connect hard drive and motherboard.

csa3d

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2011, 08:16:35 am
  • Will game for food
    • Galaxian Mame Conversion
« Reply #321 on: June 24, 2007, 08:34:39 pm »
Firstly, I'm sorry to hear you have a Gateway computer.  I've had very poor experiences with them in the past.

This being said, if you have any additional items like a 2nd cdrom drive or a zip disk drive or other add-ons, unplug them until you get the core system set up.  Once you do, plug them back in and configure them with plug-and-pray.  I remember having a similar issue and I believe my zip drive being connected during installation was killing it.  Disregard if you do not any additional addons.

-csa

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:46:43 pm
« Reply #322 on: June 24, 2007, 10:31:56 pm »
Thanks for the tips!  I actually don't even know what BIOS is so that should tell you my level of sophistication when it comes to computers.  I did manage to figure out the partitions though - I had one partition which made up 99% of the hard drive and then 16KB of "unpartitioned space."

I also ran a configuration diagnostic and it said I had a "blocker" program installed which wouldn't allow me to install XP.  It was the "Gateway GoBack" program which allows me to revert the hard drive to an earlier point in time in case of a problem.  The dilemma was that if I uninstalled it, I couldn't use it to go back in case I messed up.

I am working through a lot of scary blue screens right now...  I deleted the partition which contained all of the stuff on my computer, then made a new one and selected "Format with NTFS" and that's where I'm at right now...  It says "formatting hard drive" and is at around 35%.  I will definitely post the results.  If it installs properly then I can worry about getting MAME/MaLa on there and optimizing/tweaking performance.

And yes, I am slowly learning that Gateways aren't that great (but hopefully good enough to run what I need it to run).   :cheers:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #323 on: June 24, 2007, 11:34:01 pm »
XP is installed...

Now on to compiling and installing MAME...

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
« Reply #324 on: June 25, 2007, 09:46:28 am »
How long are you waiting on the reboot?  It may be that with the limited amount of ram that it will take a while.  You may also want to try TinyXP or nLite, look at this thread.  I tried TinyXP on Dad's Bartop.  The processor is the same as yours and it was wicked fast.  Seeing that you have a full license for XP look at using nLite to slim it down then try an install on your PIII.

TTFN :cheers:
Kaytrim

**Edit, sorry didn't see the other posts on the 9th page.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 09:48:39 am by Kaytrim »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #325 on: June 25, 2007, 11:31:50 am »
How long are you waiting on the reboot?  It may be that with the limited amount of ram that it will take a while.  You may also want to try TinyXP or nLite, look at this thread.  I tried TinyXP on Dad's Bartop.  The processor is the same as yours and it was wicked fast.  Seeing that you have a full license for XP look at using nLite to slim it down then try an install on your PIII.

Kaytrim

**Edit, sorry didn't see the other posts on the 9th page.

Thanks Kaytrim.  It does take a while for the machine to boot (probably over a minute) so anything I can do to cut down on this would be great.  I'm just afraid I won't be able to get it up and running due to my limited computer knowledge (but I'm willing to learn).  I am about to read the thread you linked to.

The first thing I think I should do is try and learn how to compile MAME - from what I understand the high score saving feature was removed which isn't going to work for me (competing for high scores is the most fun part about these cabs).  I'm hoping to compile a version of MAME that will save the high scores and also display the controls and history information for each game.  That is my task for tonight.   :cheers:

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #326 on: June 25, 2007, 11:38:31 am »
I ended up using SpyStyle's DOS CD on a 512MB compact flash card.  Boot up in less than 30 seconds.  I also have 512MB of RAM on Dad's Bartop.  However this won't do for what you are trying to do with a front end.  There are not many options for FE running in DOS anymore. 

Make sure that you backup anything you do onto a separate drive or CD before you reformat and install XP again.  Otherwise you are going to have to start from scratch again.

TTFN and Good Luck :cheers:
Kaytrim

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Re: Bella's Arcade: Need help with Setup
« Reply #327 on: June 26, 2007, 10:59:30 am »
OK, next up - I need to figure out how to compile MAME so I can save high scores but believe it or not, I can't seem to follow the instructions on Mr. Do!'s Arcade Page. 

1.  I downloaded mame0116s, dx80_mgw.zip, mingw-mame-20070717, compile_extras.zip and hi112u1.txt
2.  I extracted dx80_mgw.zip and mingw-mame-20070717 to c:\mingw
3.  I extracted the mame.zip file inside the mame0116s file to c:\mamesrc
4.  I extracted compile_extras.zip to c:\mamesrc
5.  I put the hi112u1 file in the c:\mamesrc folder
6.  I edited the patchmame.bat file replacing the default 0104u1.diff with hi112u1.txt
7.  I clicked in the command prompt shortcut and typed "patchmame" but I get a failure message

What am I doing wrong?

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
Re: Bella's Arcade: Need Help With Setup
« Reply #328 on: June 26, 2007, 11:22:47 pm »
I think you are going to have to provide the error messages to give anyone an idea of where it is going wrong.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Re: Bella's Arcade: Control Panel Installation (06.27.07)
« Reply #329 on: June 27, 2007, 11:46:28 am »
OK, I think I compiled MAME properly with the hiscore patch.  I can't actually test it out until tonight though - by the time I got it working last night it was way past my bedtime...

Anyway, I installed the CP a while back but never did a write up on it so here goes...

There's nothing fancy about it. The only real problems I had to deal with were making sure the control panel did not move at all during gameplay and making sure the control panel was removeable at any time for maintenance or something. My first solution worked perfectly so it turned out to be pretty easy.

I bought some industrial strength velcro from Home depot and put two strips on the lip of the monitor panel that I had previously routed and the matching strips on the top of the underside of the control panel. Once I put the control panel in place it was a very tight fit. The velcro held up nicely and nothing was moving even when I pulled quite hard on the joystick.

The only other issue was holding the bottom portion of the control panel in place. Since there were some strips of wood on either side from when I first assembled the cabinet, I just used some 3" clamps to hold the bottom of the control panel in place (sorry no pics). Easy!

I attached pictures of the results - it's looking pretty sweet right now.

Next up - installing the bezel around the monitor.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 11:49:57 am by javeryh »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Re: Bella's Arcade: FEET!!! (07.02.07) [Still need help with setup]
« Reply #330 on: July 02, 2007, 11:47:45 am »
Oh yeah... now this is the good stuff. Last night I managed to finally install the plastic feet to the bottom of the cabinet so it won't mar the floor in my house. It was a painful process which took all of 2 minutes to accomplish. First I had to tear open the package (as seen below). Next, I had to peel off the paper on the back of the feet to expose the adhesive. Finally, I had to stick each piece onto the bottom of the cabinet. Sound tough? Now imagine having to do that 4 times.

I know, I know, let's get on with it... I'm in the middle of programming the computer and the cabinet has been moved inside of the house for final testing. So I didn't exactly make my June 30 deadline - no big deal (I ran into a few snags with display issues and getting the ultrastikmapper to run properly in MaLa).  I should have this thing 100% finished soon though!   :cheers:

Dudeman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 30, 2023, 06:30:25 pm
  • Ecky ecky ecky ecky P'Tang! Zoop-boing mmmzoesm...
« Reply #331 on: July 02, 2007, 12:14:35 pm »
 :notworthy:
You are the man. I thought about doing that, but it just seemed to complicated.

Where to put them? 4 feet or 6!?!? It make my head hurt to think about it!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #332 on: July 02, 2007, 06:18:53 pm »
:notworthy:
You are the man. I thought about doing that, but it just seemed to complicated.

Where to put them? 4 feet or 6!?!? It make my head hurt to think about it!

:laugh2:

I know... huge decisions being made here...  On a side note, I finally put the cabinet on the ground for the first time (it had been resting on a crate in all of the pics so far) and I really got a little bit of a shock as far as scale goes.  It is TINY.  The top of the cabinet only comes up to the middle of my chest (I'm 6').  It is the PERFECT size for Bella but I'll have to sit/kneel in order to play - probably the way it should be.   :cheers:

superbigjay

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 02:50:03 pm
  • I'll always be a kid...
    • superbigjay website
« Reply #333 on: July 04, 2007, 09:08:23 am »
On a side note, I finally put the cabinet on the ground for the first time (it had been resting on a crate in all of the pics so far) and I really got a little bit of a shock as far as scale goes.  It is TINY.  The top of the cabinet only comes up to the middle of my chest (I'm 6').  It is the PERFECT size for Bella but I'll have to sit/kneel in order to play - probably the way it should be.   :cheers:
he he he!  It's true, for I while I forgot this is a "reduced size" cab for Bella.
You should take a picture of you standing beside the cab.  It would give a good idea of the real size.

Jay  :cheers:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #334 on: July 04, 2007, 10:51:22 pm »
I'll try to get a picture showing scale soon.  In other news, it looks like I'll have to build "Jack's Arcade" sometime in the next 3 years... we just had a baby boy!   :cheers:

shock_

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2020, 06:23:29 pm
  • In Brisbane, it's GMT+10 all the time.
« Reply #335 on: July 05, 2007, 06:34:25 am »
we just had a baby boy!

Congratulations!! :applaud:  And a pat on the back to Mrs javeryh for her fine efforts. 

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #336 on: July 05, 2007, 01:35:36 pm »
I'll try to get a picture showing scale soon.  In other news, it looks like I'll have to build "Jack's Arcade" sometime in the next 3 years... we just had a baby boy!   :cheers:

Congrats on the baby boy. :cheers:  For him why not do a Donkey Kong mini, the color is right. ;)

TTFN

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Re: Bella's Arcade: (07.08.07) [Please comment on computer build]
« Reply #337 on: July 08, 2007, 06:54:50 pm »
Thanks everyone!  He has been great so far!  The project is sort of kind of on hold for a little bit until I get used to my new schedule with the baby and everything.  I will be sneaking some work in on it when I can though.  Right now I think I'm going to be buying a new computer.  I don't want to but I also don't think I will get things looking right with what I've got.  I need a new video card and motherboard at a minimum so I figure why not go all out...  plus, it will give me something to do this week when the kids are napping since I'm off from work.

Anyway, I posted this over in the main forum but maybe I'd get some more help here.  I'd like to hear from people who know more than I do before I actually pull the trigger.  The only thing I care about is outputting to a 4:5 (vertical) monitor and that the picture will stretch to the edges.   I have a Dell 197 LCD.  I guess I'll also be putting some horizontal games on Bella's cab as long as they aren't too small or anything on the vertical monitor (and are playable with a joystick and 3 buttons or less).

Here goes:

Power Supply/Case
Video Card
Memory
Motherboard
Processor
Hard Drive

The total is under $300 shipped.

Thanks!!   :cheers:

GlennM

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 29, 2008, 11:22:31 pm
« Reply #338 on: July 09, 2007, 12:36:42 am »
It seems like a good PC build for your purposes, I would check some online reviews of the parts you are purchasing though.  Also, the Mobo has on board video it seems, why not find a similar one without it or else ditch the video card?

theCoder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
« Reply #339 on: July 09, 2007, 10:08:38 am »
That's a lot of computer for under $300.  The hard drive is a bit small, but as long as you have the room to install another one later you should be fine. 

Congratulations on your newborn son.

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #340 on: July 09, 2007, 11:35:55 am »
Make sure you get a good processor cooler fan and use Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. Here is one that will go with your processor and MB.  Even though the processor comes with a stock heat sink and fan.  You are still putting a case in a case this can cause overheating.  It will help if you take the cover off the case while it is in the cab but I would still recommend adding a better CPU cooler.  The one I link to above is only $15.  Add $6 for the Arctic Silver 5 and you have insurance for only $21

If I had the $$$ I would take this deal without the case, I have a few to spare.  Just out of curosity I put together a shopping cart with the processer combo, ram and video card you linked to adding the CPU cooler and paste I link to above and the cost was only $156 plus shipping  Real nice deal. :cheers:  I could even get by without the video card, my cab is horizontal.

TTFN
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 11:39:58 am by Kaytrim »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #341 on: July 10, 2007, 10:42:27 am »
Thanks for all the advice guys.  I ordered it last night and I'm hoping it comes sometime this week.  I'd like to finish this project this weekend because we are about to have a lot of company coming over to see the new baby.  It would be nice if there was something to play.   :cheers:

amadama

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2019, 04:44:52 pm
Re: Bella's Arcade: Kind of on Hold (07.08.07)
« Reply #342 on: July 14, 2007, 04:38:25 pm »
Wow, congratulations on your new baby!

polaris

• You're a genius! Sheer genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2012, 05:18:59 pm
  • veni vidi congai
« Reply #343 on: July 19, 2007, 05:35:29 pm »
congratulations on the new arrival, im sure i mentioned a baby blue cab here somewhere.
get sourcing those parts, you have to start looking for blue coin rejects now :)
got COLOR codes from projects, post them here

add stuff to the uk wiki section

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #344 on: August 13, 2007, 11:44:48 am »
OK, after a month of nothing I think I'm back.  We have settled into our new routine with the baby so I think I'll be able to get this thing finished over the next few weeks.  Anyway, all the parts for my computer have arrived and I was able to put it together - it's a freaking miracle!

I had trouble with the video card because if it was installed in the motherboard it would default everything to the DVI-out port so I had to buy a DVI-VGA plug converter thingy.  I installed Windows XP Professional and it seems to be operating pretty fast (much faster than my old Gateway).

Anyway, I'm having one issue that's probably a simple fix but I can't figure it out.  Whenever I reboot, I get a screen that forces me to either hit DEL to enter setup or F1 to continue.  Hitting F1 boots XP and everything is fine but I'd rather skip this step obviously and boot straight to XP (and eventually to MaLa).  Is there a setting in the motherboard set-up that I need to change to bypass this?  Any help would be much appreciated.

The good news is that I loaded up MAME and MaLa really quick last night, tweaked the settings for a vertical layout and the games seem to be running in full screen!!!!  FINALLY!!!  Tonight I plan to finish setup on the cabinet.  I have to:

1.  Compile a version of MAME that can save high scores and disables the warning screens
2.  Get the fatfingers MaLa plugin working properly (for the U360)
3.  Create a solid gamelist (I'm stealing theCoder's list for starters  ;D)
4.  Figure out how to get rid of the "Get Ready To Play" screen that flashes when I select a game on my gamelist

Once this is done all I'll have to do is:

1.  Cut the hole in the back of the cab to run the smartstrip wire out to the wall
2.  Put the computer and everything inside the cab
3.  Touch-up with black paint
4.  Wire the power button to the outside of the cab
5.  Wire the coin door
6.  Figure out a way to control the volume of everything

That's only like an afternoon's worth of work!   :cheers:

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #345 on: August 13, 2007, 11:54:45 am »
Yea!!!  :applaud:  good to see things are progressing again with this little beauty.  Good to hear about  the baby settling down too.  Been there, Done that, T-shirt spit up on :laugh2: three times over.  My oldest turned 16 yesterday so I am here to say that things may get easy for a while but they get worse in other ways. :cry: Two more years and my baby is off to college.

Oh well, TTFN :cheers:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #346 on: August 13, 2007, 12:41:32 pm »
Anyway, I'm having one issue that's probably a simple fix but I can't figure it out.  Whenever I reboot, I get a screen that forces me to either hit DEL to enter setup or F1 to continue.  Hitting F1 boots XP and everything is fine but I'd rather skip this step obviously and boot straight to XP (and eventually to MaLa).  Is there a setting in the motherboard set-up that I need to change to bypass this?  Any help would be much appreciated.

must be getting a mouse or keyboard error in the BIOS. Enter the BIOS and find the setting that lets you "skip errors"
my old PC used to do that when I had my PS2 devices plugged in.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

superbigjay

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 02:50:03 pm
  • I'll always be a kid...
    • superbigjay website
« Reply #347 on: August 13, 2007, 09:56:48 pm »
Hello Javeryh (and Coder),
any chance you could share that gamelist
Jay

theCoder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
« Reply #348 on: August 13, 2007, 10:22:11 pm »
Good to see you back at it.  Let us know how the Mame recompile goes.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #349 on: August 14, 2007, 09:04:38 am »
Hello Javeryh (and Coder),
any chance you could share that gamelist
Jay

Check out this post - the list is attached: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=69879.msg714584#msg714584

Good to see you back at it.  Let us know how the Mame recompile goes.

I will.  I've decided to order a new romset to get current - I have a .87 set and it's a little old.  I'm going to order the .118 set and recompile MAME .118 to go with it.  Right now I have MAME .113 running and I'm using the .87 romset and nothing seems to be working... well, some games work but at least 1/2 of the ones I've tried don't.  I get a "loading XX%" screen that flashes and then I get kicked back to the MaLa gamelist.  Plus, it might do me some good to have a current romset and learn to use MAME properly.

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #350 on: August 14, 2007, 09:21:20 am »
Have you tried using CLRMAMEPro to bring the romset to the .113 version MAME?  It will take a while and not all of the roms will convert but you will get a good set to work from.

Kaytrim

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #351 on: August 14, 2007, 09:27:28 am »
Have you tried using CLRMAMEPro to bring the romset to the .113 version MAME?  It will take a while and not all of the roms will convert but you will get a good set to work from.

Kaytrim

I haven't - mainly because I don't know how.  It's definitely something I want to learn though.  I need to start getting better with the computer if I'm going to keep building these cabinets.  Bella's Arcade is the second cabinet I've built and the second one that has stalled at the software stage because I don't really know what I'm doing.   :banghead:

My other cabinet has Gamelauncher installed and works but it is not user friendly at all.  There's no list rotation (it's a cocktail), no screenshots, etc.  Right after I finish Bella's Arcade I'm going to finish the first one before moving on to #3.

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #352 on: August 14, 2007, 09:32:44 am »
Jer,

Send me an email and I will help you where I can with CLRMAMEPro.  New email is in my profile.  :angel:

TTFN

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #353 on: August 14, 2007, 10:58:57 am »
In my experience, this will work much better taking a 0.113 romset to work with 0.87 MAME than vice-versa, but it will get a few more of your games to work, and it is free!!!
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #354 on: August 16, 2007, 02:40:13 pm »
Jer,

Send me an email and I will help you where I can with CLRMAMEPro.  New email is in my profile.  :angel:

TTFN

Thanks for the offer.  I might just take you up on that but I want to play around with it myself first.  I'm surprising myself by what I've learned to do.  Last night I successfully compiled MAME .118u1 with the hiscore.diff file.  Basically, the computer is ready to go - I'm just waiting on the .118 romset from my super secret supplier.  Once they arrive, I will copy everything over to my rom folder and try to make some different playlists using MaLa.  I'm very close to calling this project complete!

psychotech

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 27, 2011, 11:01:50 pm
    • psychotech
« Reply #355 on: August 16, 2007, 06:51:54 pm »
Gamelauncher, no screenshots ?

Must be some other version made in the DDR before the Berlin wall finally came down? My Gamelauncher setup has screenshots, multiple emulators, etc. I'm using it on two machines in DOS & Win98SE ..it just needs some .ini tweaking to fit your needs ;)

Great cab still  :cheers:

cykotek

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #356 on: August 16, 2007, 08:18:20 pm »
Gamelauncher, no screenshots ?

Must be some other version made in the DDR before the Berlin wall finally came down? My Gamelauncher setup has screenshots, multiple emulators, etc. I'm using it on two machines in DOS & Win98SE ..it just needs some .ini tweaking to fit your needs ;)

Great cab still  :cheers:

cykotek

heh, my version of GameLauncher doesn't have any screenshots because I'm lazy.   :cheers:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Re: Bella's Arcade: Plans? We don't need no stinkin' plans... (08.17.07)
« Reply #357 on: August 17, 2007, 07:02:11 pm »
Well, I finally dug them out of the garage and brought them to work so I could scan them and post them here. I'm surprised I was able to run the paper through the scanner since the pages are so worn.  The dimensions aren't exact but they are close enough, I guess. I wanted an "80%" cabinet so I downloaded the Ms. Pac-man plans from Jakobud's site and shrunk all the dimensions using my slick math skills. I didn't cut things out perfectly due to the weird conversions (like 80% of 1/16" is kind of tough to measure) but it came out great anyway.

Enjoy even though imageshack totally blows with these tiny thumbnails but it's the only way I could figure out how to host the files so they are readable. Note that I didn't actually use the CRT monitor shown on the last page but the dimensions of the Dell LCD I ended up going with are scribbled on there somewhere - I know, real scientific.

shock_

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2020, 06:23:29 pm
  • In Brisbane, it's GMT+10 all the time.
Re: Bella's Arcade: Plans? We Don't Need No Stinkin' Plans (08.17.07)
« Reply #358 on: August 19, 2007, 06:46:10 am »
I know this is totally anal and off topic, but since you're keen on learning stuff - drop those images to 2-colour GIFs and they'll compress down to buggery, or around 73KB, whichever is more impressive.  Irfanview is free software that will do it (and is damned handy as a quick image viewer also).  Your scanner software might do it also.  Example as attached.

Slightly back on topic... years from now, when your daughter asks you about building this odd retro cabinet thing that she's seemingly always had, she's going to find this thread quite mind-blowing to read through :)  I'm really hoping my two little guys (38 and 11 months) get/stay interested also.  :cheers:

Anubis_au

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 15, 2023, 10:12:32 pm
  • Ever danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight?
Re: Bella's Arcade: Plans? We Don't Need No Stinkin' Plans (08.17.07)
« Reply #359 on: August 30, 2007, 12:54:03 am »
Jav, what's the latest?

(just doing my bit to make this thread current again)