Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Bella's Arcade [FINISHED]  (Read 131108 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
Re: Bella's Arcade: Vertical Mini Cab [Bezel Panel - Finished!!! 01.25.2007]
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2007, 09:40:22 am »
leapinlew is correct - I do not have a straight cutting bit.  Even if I did have one it would have been very difficult to accurately set up a straightedge off set by the shoe of the router due to the narrowness of the material on the sides.  They way I did it I was able to put the straight edge exactly on the line I wanted to cut so it was easy to line up.  Even if I had a straight bit I would not have used it to do this.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Re: Bella's Arcade: Vertical Mini Cab [Boring Update 02.07.2007]
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2007, 05:19:59 pm »
It has been hovering around 10 degrees outside for the better part of a week now so I haven't been able to get much work on my cabinet done in my unheated garage. In fact, I noticed that the cold weather started to affect the dimensions of the cabinet - pieces that I had previously cut (but hadn't glued) that used to be snug were fitting a little looser than before.

On Saturday I had my dad come over and help me move the unfinished cabinet from the garage to the basement. By Sunday night when I went to test fit the same piece it was snug again due to the warmth of the basement. Whew!

The big problem now is going to be paining the cabinet in the basement. I am going to try and set up some sort of paint booth made out of plastic drop cloths so I don't get the paint everywhere. I'll probably end up covering other important stuff with plastic just to be safe - I wouldn't want to get pink paint on Knights of the Arcade Table! I'll also have to make sure the booth is well ventilated to the outside somehow so I can breathe.

Anyway, I managed to cut a few of the smaller pieces to fit around the back of the monitor bezel panel which will eventually hold the monitor in place. It looks pretty good so far and my cuts were accurate enough to allow for the front of the monitor to lie exactly flush with the monitor bezel panel. I'm also playing around with the idea of physically screwing the monitor to the monitor brace. It depends whether or not the brace I'm making plus gravity holds the monitor in place with no chance of movement. There are 4 screws on the back of the monitor that don't seem to do anything so I would be able to use them to screw the monitor in place. Take a look:

Bringing the cabinet inside also let me play around with some of the finishing pieces like the marquee to get a feel for what it will look like when finished. I can also install the coin door and monitor to really get a sense of what the finished cabinet will look like (I'm even tempted to put the t-molding on but I'd have to remove it to paint so that's not such a good idea).

I guess the next few steps are going to be setting up the computer and making sure all the vertical games you can play with 3 buttons and a joystick are working properly. I'll also have to configure the front end (MaLa) which could take a while. I'm getting so close!!

Thanks for looking!!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 05:24:36 pm by javeryh »

psychotech

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 27, 2011, 11:01:50 pm
    • psychotech
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2007, 05:53:51 pm »
Looks great!

But, instead of spraying ..have you thought about painting with a good roller?!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2007, 06:11:48 pm »
Looks great!

But, instead of spraying ..have you thought about painting with a good roller?!

I have.  I'm really torn at this point too because if I used a roller I could paint it this weekend... and I really want to paint it so I can finish up.  On the other hand, I've been told that I can get a very smooth glass like finish if I spray it on.  I've never tried spraying before either and I was looking forward to learning how.  The most important part of this project for me is a solid, smooth finish.  I need the paint job to look as "professional" as possible and also protect against juice spillage and general wear and tear that a 2-3 year old will cause.  I'm going to practice on some scrap because I'm thinking of adding a few coats of poly on top of the paint and I'm not sure if you are supposed to or if it will alter the look or something.  I've added poly over stained wood with great results.

Any thoughts on the finish?

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2007, 09:03:18 pm »
The poly might change the color a shade or two.  It is a good idea to do the full planed treatment on a scrap piece first to be sure. 

The biggest problem with juice is it getting down in the controls.  :cry:  That will defiantly turn into a sticky mess.  You should have a cup holder on the side to prevent at least some of the spills on the CP.

csa3d

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2011, 08:16:35 am
  • Will game for food
    • Galaxian Mame Conversion
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2007, 11:19:03 pm »
If you get around to it, can you take a shot of the screen turned on from various viewing angles?  I'm working on a similar setup, and was considering a much more expensive monitor because I wasn't sure a cheaper one could pull off a clear screen.

Here's my project for reference:  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=59170.0

Thanks in advance!  Liking the monitor frame.  Good to get inspiration for how to tackle this, which at this time, seems the hardest part of my project.  Keep the images coming!

-csa

psychotech

• Offline Offline
    • psychotech
« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2007, 11:52:07 am »
About the roller option...

Check out spriggy's Jungle Mame bartop @ http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=33678.0

He did the sides with a foam roller. I haven't, naturally, seen it in person ..but what you can tell by the pictures looks really good, I'd say  :applaud:

For an explanation on the finish visit the Tomatocade thread @ http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=56653.msg594079#msg594079

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2007, 12:03:44 pm »
The poly might change the color a shade or two.  It is a good idea to do the full planed treatment on a scrap piece first to be sure.  

The biggest problem with juice is it getting down in the controls.  :cry:  That will defiantly turn into a sticky mess.  You should have a cup holder on the side to prevent at least some of the spills on the CP.

That's my main concern with using the poly.  I'll definitely test it out on some scrap wood first.  I am wondering what people's thoughts are on "just" a painted cabinet.  Does the paint chip away over time?  Is it durable?  Does it look "professionally" finished (or close)?  Glossy or matte finish? Would you recommend it?  Etc.

Hmmm... juice in the buttons... hmmm... I could definitely see that happening since my daughter is always drinking apple juice or soy milk.  I guess you can't prevent spillage but a cup holder might help.

If you get around to it, can you take a shot of the screen turned on from various viewing angles?  I'm working on a similar setup, and was considering a much more expensive monitor because I wasn't sure a cheaper one could pull off a clear screen.

Here's my project for reference:  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=59170.0

Thanks in advance!  Liking the monitor frame.  Good to get inspiration for how to tackle this, which at this time, seems the hardest part of my project.  Keep the images coming!

-csa

Your project is looking good!  I am thinking about building a full-sized Galaga/Mame cabinet one of these days.  I'd be happy to take pics of the turned on monitor and post them here.  I plan on getting a little more work done over the weekend.  I did power up the monitor when it arrived and it looked stunning - I was skeptical about using an LCD screen but it seems like it will work nicely.  My only concern is viewing angle when it is installed but I think the angle of the monitor in the cabinet allows for pretty straightforward viewing so I don't think it will be an issue.  

The monitor frame/CP has definitely been the hardest part for me so far!

needlesmcgirk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2009, 10:54:31 pm
« Reply #88 on: February 08, 2007, 03:41:27 pm »
Be careful if you've never really spray painted before.  I tried spray painting my cab first with my step dad who is actually pretty experienced in spray painting, but it end up just not looking too good really, its just wasn't even enough.  End up just using that as the base coat and using the exact same paint in liquid form and rolling it on and it looked much better.

If you can actually do it perfectly, then it will probably look great, but just rolling the paint on looks fantastic too and can still give you a very professional glossy shine.  Good luck!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2007, 12:37:07 pm »
About the roller option...

Check out spriggy's Jungle Mame bartop @ http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=33678.0

He did the sides with a foam roller. I haven't, naturally, seen it in person ..but what you can tell by the pictures looks really good, I'd say  :applaud:

For an explanation on the finish visit the Tomatocade thread @ http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=56653.msg594079#msg594079

Thanks - that was very helpful.  That paint job does look rather nice and even.  I wonder how it is holding up...  The finishing aspect of the cabinet (roll or spray / poly or no poly) has really started to get to me.  I need to make some decisions!

Be careful if you've never really spray painted before.  I tried spray painting my cab first with my step dad who is actually pretty experienced in spray painting, but it end up just not looking too good really, its just wasn't even enough.  End up just using that as the base coat and using the exact same paint in liquid form and rolling it on and it looked much better.

If you can actually do it perfectly, then it will probably look great, but just rolling the paint on looks fantastic too and can still give you a very professional glossy shine.  Good luck!

Thanks for the warning.  I am very skeptical about my ability to spray on a nice finish since I've never done it before.

I guess at the end of the day I'm trying to get a very very smooth finish - something that you'd get with 3 or 4 coats of poly over stained wood.  I definitely want to avoid the bumps that paint has when you touch it.  Maybe I could roll on the paint and then add something similar to poly but not exactly like it that will give me the finish I desire?  I'm open to suggestions...

needlesmcgirk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2007, 02:06:08 pm »
If that's what you need, just role it on like the Jungle Mame, and go over it with a very fine sand paper after each coat.  This will make it extremely smooth to the touch.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2007, 02:38:34 pm »
If that's what you need, just role it on like the Jungle Mame, and go over it with a very fine sand paper after each coat.  This will make it extremely smooth to the touch.

Yes, but, how do you do this and keep the shine? I'm in the same boat. I like a really smooth finish, but I don't know how to have both a shiny AND smooth finish.

I don't know much about painting, but if there is some sort of rubbing compound used or something I'd like to know.

psychotech

• Offline Offline
    • psychotech
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2007, 06:18:22 pm »
?

The fine sanding between the coats helps you keep the surface nice, even and scratch free ..and on "a good base" of a few layers of paint it's only (only!) the final layer that counts ..and gives the real shiny and smooth finish.. :)=

To keep the paintjob protected.., well, don't really know, but how about a mohair roller to finish with a lacquer coat? There're rollers dedicated to lacquer.. On the other hand, it depends on your paint..

Good luck!  :cheers:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Re: Bella's Arcade: Vertical Mini Cab [NOT SO Boring Update 02.11.2007]
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2007, 11:34:50 pm »
I finally finished the crazy bezel panel and the monitor can be set in place!

It came out pretty good - I'll post more pics and details tomorrow.  It's pretty late right now.  I'm really glad I went with the 19" monitor over the 17" one.

Also, my test panel is drying right now and I can already tell it's not coming out like I had hoped.  I still have 2 more top coats and the poly to add though so maybe I'm being a bit pessimistic...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 08:55:28 am by javeryh »

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
Re: Bella's Arcade: Vertical Mini Cab [NOT SO Boring Update!! 02.11.2007]
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2007, 12:00:25 am »
Javery Javery Javery...

I don't know what to do with you. And here I thought this cab was going to be good.... I blame myself

for not giving you enough credit! It's looking awesome! Galaga/Ms. Pac is my favorite cabinet. Keep up the good work and the updates - I'm watching your thread with lots of interest!  :)

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2007, 12:04:01 am »
Also, my test panel is drying right now and I can already tell it's not coming out like I had hoped.  I still have 2 more top coats and the poly to add though so maybe I'm being a bit pessimistic...

Yes! Lets start talking paint. As you may have noticed, both you and I have been asking lots of paint questions. I've painted 6 cabinets now and I've tried several different methods and I never could get that "arcade" finish I wanted. (Shiny and smooth). I'm curious to hear how your method works.

spriggy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 09:45:27 pm
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2007, 11:16:28 am »

Thanks - that was very helpful.  That paint job does look rather nice and even.  I wonder how it is holding up... 

In relation to my old 'Jungle Mame'... the paint is as good as when I first applied it!..  That's with a 5 & 8 year old hammering it... as well as a bunch of 30-something year old lads full of beer and bourbon... trying to beat top times in Track & Field!!!

IMO..For rolling, it's a mixture of all ellements....  A good smooth base coat (I used a specific MDF primer on the JM)... in the case of the JM, a good quality High Gloss Enamel (or what ever finish...semi-gloss etc), like you'd use for your front house doors, a good quality foam roller, fine sanding between coats (I only used 2 top coats on top of the base), limiting dust (like vaccuming the painting area and wetting the floors etc) and in my case... using the painting technique an old painter friend taught me.. as pyschotech so pointed in one of his previous thread replies.

In my experience... you'll never get a butt smooth finish with a roller.  However, IMO... that very slight orange peel effect reflects a lot of the old painted cabs anyway.  Just the way I like it!

And really... that says it all.  The finish I like... isn't always gonna be the finish you like.  TRIAL AND ERROR in most cases!!!

My 7 and a half cents!!

Good luck

« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 11:21:07 am by spriggy »
"Once a Knight, always a Knight.   Twice a night.. and your doing alright!!" ::)

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2007, 06:28:26 pm »

Yes! Lets start talking paint. As you may have noticed, both you and I have been asking lots of paint questions. I've painted 6 cabinets now and I've tried several different methods and I never could get that "arcade" finish I wanted. (Shiny and smooth). I'm curious to hear how your method works.

Thanks for the kind words! 

As for my test panel, it looks a lot better right now.  Here's what I've done so far (it's not finished):

1.  Sanded MDF with 150 grit sandpaper
2.  Rolled on first coat of primer (OIL BASED - a water-based primer will soak into the MDF and ruin it)
3.  Sanded with 150 grit sandpaper
4.  Rolled on second coat of primer
5.  Sanded with 220 grit sandpaper
6.  Rolled on first coat of paint (Behr - latex, water-based - it's OK to apply after the MDF is sealed)
7.  Sanded with 220 grit sandpaper
8.  Rolled on second coat of paint

At this point I was completely unhappy with how it was coming out.  I had multiple particles/hairs in the paint (probably from a bad roller) and there was an unmistakable "orange peel" texture all over the place that you could feel and worse yet see.  I decided to change up my strategy:

9.   Sanded with 220 grit sandpaper
10. Using a FOAM BRUSH I applied a third coat of paint.
11. Applied first coat of poly (Minwax) using a foam brush.

This isn't perfect but it looks much much better than the "orange peel" thing I had going on.  There is still a very slight "brushed" look on it but it is not that noticable (of course I notice it because I'm anal).  I'm going to apply 3 more coats of poly with the foam brush sanding in between with 220 grit and then 600 before the last coat.  I'm hoping the extra coats of poly will get rid of any brush marks.  I'll post some pics of the final panel when I'm finished.

If you have any tips or something works better for you I'd love to hear it!

spriggy - thanks for the follow up!  I'm going to try your method next if I don't lie how mine comes out.  I think the roller is the key to the whole process...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 11:09:27 pm by javeryh »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2007, 06:51:33 pm »
Bah, I couldn't resist! Nothing is hooked up but you can get a good idea of how it will look when I'm done...  Way more pics coming later...

I hope I figure out the paint job soon!!   :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 08:42:49 am by javeryh »

psychotech

• Offline Offline
    • psychotech
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2007, 07:00:55 pm »
!

The cab looks ..well, awesome  :applaud:

What more can one say.. Anyway, painting with a roller, why not try something around 400 grit between the layers - instead of the 220 you're now doing.. Just a thought?!

Great work with the monitor & bezel!

I'll keep spying :)

Knievel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2016, 10:29:09 pm
  • Who's up for a game of Stunt Cycle??
    • Knievel Kustoms
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2007, 11:08:40 pm »

Great work! Beautiful little cabinet so far...love the marquee too.

Man I would kill for some of that 10 degree weather. It's been -35/-40 here for the last couple of weeks.

I can only work for about 5 minutes in the garage before my extremities start snapping off.  :P

spriggy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2007, 11:39:38 pm »

I can only work for about 5 minutes in the garage before my extremities start snapping off.  :P

That doesn't sound good at all!  Especially for a male!! :P
"Once a Knight, always a Knight.   Twice a night.. and your doing alright!!" ::)

Jouster

• <replace with your own witty comment>
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 27, 2023, 10:55:01 pm
  • Flap, Flap...Crash
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2007, 12:57:19 am »
So I guess I shouldn't point out that it was in the 70's here today?  Ok, I'll keep that quiet.  ;D

I spray painted my cab.  It looks great!  The front panel has a great shine to it.  Just sand it between coats.  If you notice that the coat isn't even, you can always spray a little more where it needs it.  I even used really cheap paint...$0.96 per can at Wal-Mart.

Jouster
There are 10 types of people out there...those that understand binary, and those that don't.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2007, 11:04:20 pm »
Wow!  Thanks for the compliments guys.  I am so motivated to finish this thing.  My test panel is finally complete and I'm kind of happy with how it came out but I'm not thrilled.  I finished the process above by adding 3 more coats of the poly and sanding in between with 220 grit and moving up to 600 grit before the final coat.  It's pretty smooth to the touch but it definitely isn't reflective in any way.  The color is consistent though which is really great.  I'm going to try a different method over the next few days on a separate panel and see if I can come up with something better.  I haven't tried using a foam roller and since I like the way the foam brush came out I'm going to give that a shot.  I'll post before and after pics tomorrow when I am at work.  ;D

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
Re: Bella's Arcade: Vertical Mini Cab [We're talking about PAINT now]
« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2007, 11:18:28 pm »
those white foam rollers are great - best thing I've used... yet!

spacies

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2015, 03:40:49 am
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2007, 12:08:37 am »

This has to be one of the best mini cabs around.

Fantastic documentation on the build thus far.

Can't wait to see it painted!

Its a pity you can't spray it, but the foam roller is the next best thing.

Remember, lots of light coats.  ;)

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2007, 02:36:06 pm »
those white foam rollers are great - best thing I've used... yet!

I am definitely going to give them a shot for both the paint and poly applications.

This has to be one of the best mini cabs around.

Fantastic documentation on the build thus far.

Can't wait to see it painted!

Its a pity you can't spray it, but the foam roller is the next best thing.

Remember, lots of light coats.  ;)

Thanks for the compliments!  I love everything about this hobby - I'm having a blast building and documenting everything.  Hopefully it will help someone else in the future - I know I couldn't have done any of this with out the help and ideas of everyone else.

I'm going to go for a LOT of light coats of paint and poly - I guess I don't care how long it takes because I want it to look as nice as possible and last a long time - the extra care will be worth it.  As mentioned above, over the last few days I've been playing around with a scrap piece of MDF, some pink paint and some poly. 

This is a shot of the primed panel:

And here is a shot of the finished panel with 4 thin coats of poly applied with a foam brush:

Not too bad I guess but I'm definitely trying another test panel.  Here are some extra (not so good) shots of the finished panel. The flash of the camera kind of ruins the pictures and I don't think you get a good sense of what it actually looks like unless you are standing next to it. The finish is still a bit streaky and there are a few spots where air bubbles in the poly dried leaving it a bit bumpy - you just can't see it in the pictures. That said, the bottom picture really makes the finished surface look like it is mirrored or something - check out the reflection of the paper towel! I assure you it doesn't really look like that up close.

I will be starting test panel #2 in a few days when I get a chance to buy a foam roller and some different supplies.

Any thoughts/comments?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 08:46:22 am by javeryh »

spriggy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2007, 05:57:32 pm »
You can just see the streaks..  Your not going to stop that if your brushing it on.

In relation to rolling...  I've never used the small white roller kits.  I've only used the standard sized grey foam rollers.  And then, there are 2 types I have to choose from (down here in OZ anyway).  The cheap one and the more expensive one.  The more expensive one is made of better quality, denser foam.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2007, 10:59:25 am »
You can just see the streaks..  Your not going to stop that if your brushing it on.

In relation to rolling...  I've never used the small white roller kits.  I've only used the standard sized grey foam rollers.  And then, there are 2 types I have to choose from (down here in OZ anyway).  The cheap one and the more expensive one.  The more expensive one is made of better quality, denser foam.

Ack!  I know - it's like streakmania the more I stare at it...  I don't think I can stand it.  I'm picking up the foam rollers today or tomorrow so I have them for the weekend.  I'm going to try and get the highest quality they make.  I'm also going to take a trip to a paint specialty store and see if I can get any tips.

Also, does anyone have any thoughts about the shade of pink I chose?  It's a "Disney" color from the Behr "Princess Collection" called "Pretty In Pink."  I choose a lighter pink because I don't want this thing to be overbearing.  We did paint Bella's room from the chair rail up to the crown molding in the "Pretty as a Princess" color (which is freaking PINK) and I think the two colors were meant to compliment one another.  I'm going to route the t-molding slots on Saturday and see how the pink t-molding looks up against it.  The color scheme is attached.

Comments?

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Will game for food
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2007, 01:10:50 pm »
Can we hurry up with all this paiting so you can take some photos of that dell monitor turned on from various viewing angles :)

But seriously, I wish I was bella.  You are sure going all out on this project, it's looking great!
-csa

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2007, 02:24:37 pm »
Can we hurry up with all this paiting so you can take some photos of that dell monitor turned on from various viewing angles :)

But seriously, I wish I was bella.  You are sure going all out on this project, it's looking great!
-csa

Haha - yeah... I'll try to snap some pics for you this weekend when I'm tinkering with the computer set up.  I have had it on though and it does look great although I didn't really mess with the viewing angles or anything.  Maybe this weekend I'll set the monitor in place for real and fire up the computer and just see how it looks sitting where it is supposed to sit...

needlesmcgirk

• Offline Offline
Re: Bella's Arcade: Vertical Mini Cab [We're talking about PAINT and COLOR now]
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2007, 04:57:52 pm »
I think the "pretty in Pink" color is the best option.  It looks like it will go really well with the marquee as well.  Excellent choice!

GadgetGeek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2014, 09:59:01 am
  • whatever
« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2007, 07:38:51 am »
I'm going to route the t-molding slots on Saturday and see how the pink t-molding looks up against it.
Comments?

Route the t-molding slots before you finish painting!  You don't want to have to do any touch-up painting after the fact.  (At least that is my opinion).
Great job thus far and thanks for sharing your trials and tribulations with us.  Much appreciated.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2007, 09:18:53 am »
I'm going to route the t-molding slots on Saturday and see how the pink t-molding looks up against it.
Comments?

Route the t-molding slots before you finish painting!  You don't want to have to do any touch-up painting after the fact.  (At least that is my opinion).
Great job thus far and thanks for sharing your trials and tribulations with us.  Much appreciated.

Thanks for the compliments!  I've already routed the t-molding slots on my cabinet - I was just referring to the test panel I painted/finished.  I'm going to flip it over and run the router along the unfinished side to make the t-molding groove.  I don't even care if it is centered or not (I'll try to make it close though) because I just want to see how the pink t-molding looks up against the "Pretty in Pink" color I chose.

GadgetGeek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2014, 09:59:01 am
  • whatever
« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2007, 12:45:41 pm »

Thanks for the compliments!  I've already routed the t-molding slots on my cabinet - I was just referring to the test panel I painted/finished.  I'm going to flip it over and run the router along the unfinished side to make the t-molding groove.  I don't even care if it is centered or not (I'll try to make it close though) because I just want to see how the pink t-molding looks up against the "Pretty in Pink" color I chose.

Ahhh, I understand.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Re: Bella's Arcade: Vertical Mini Cab [I found the PERFECT paint job!!]
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2007, 09:17:34 am »
I think I found it!  This link explains exactly how to get the finish that I'm looking for (except mine will be pink instead of black).  I'm off to Home Depot and NAPA this morning to buy the supplies.  I'm a bit nervous but I'm going to try a test panel first.  This process also looks like it will take a while so it might be another week or more before I even have the test panel complete.  If it comes out half as nice though it will be worth it.  Here's the link:  http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83141&highlight=

Wish me luck!

Jouster

• <replace with your own witty comment>
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 27, 2023, 10:55:01 pm
  • Flap, Flap...Crash
« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2007, 11:50:34 am »
WOW!  :woot

That is a serious paint job!  Your daughter will have a full length mirror as well as a cab!!  :laugh2:

Jouster
There are 10 types of people out there...those that understand binary, and those that don't.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2007, 12:05:01 pm »
haha yeah, I think it is going to look a bit crazy.  The only panels I'm going to finish like that are the two sides and the front panel where the coin door is.  I don't think I need to do the back since it will be up against the wall and the black interior around the monitor needs to be a flat black finish so there aren't any crazy reflections when you are playing. 

The test panel is going to take a while because after I prime and paint I have to apply a lacquer top which could take a week or more to harden.  Then I can sand smooth and start applying the rubbing compound and finish.  The wait is going to be torture!  I'll be documenting the whole process for those that care...

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Will game for food
« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2007, 12:32:32 pm »
WOW!  :woot

That is a serious paint job!  Your daughter will have a full length mirror as well as a cab!!  :laugh2:

Jouster

That's funny, was thinking the same thing!  She's gonna think she's being abducted by aliens when awoken by a blinding pink sunbeam reflection at 5:45am bouncing off that paintjob!  I admit though, it "show es perty".

-csa

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2007, 12:49:53 pm »
I think I found it!  This link explains exactly how to get the finish that I'm looking for (except mine will be pink instead of black).  I'm off to Home Depot and NAPA this morning to buy the supplies.  I'm a bit nervous but I'm going to try a test panel first.  This process also looks like it will take a while so it might be another week or more before I even have the test panel complete.  If it comes out half as nice though it will be worth it.  Here's the link:  http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83141&highlight=

Wish me luck!

Awesome - thats exactly what I was looking for too. Thanks Javery and good luck with your paint - I'm anxious to see the results.