Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Bella's Arcade [FINISHED]  (Read 131110 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
Re: Bella's Arcade: Pink Vertical Mini Cab (I NEED YOUR HELP!!!)
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2006, 11:58:15 pm »
Thanks.  I'm going to give that a try.  I worked for another 3 hours today but again didn't do much.  I installed the speakers and marquee light - the speakers were a huge pain because I had to open them up and then mount them to the bottom marquee panel.  I ended up drilling my own screw holes so they would stay in place.  Also, I finally got the hinged door opening framed out and the hinges in place on both the panel and the opening.  The door isn't hung yet but I am going to do that tomorrow when I have more patience.  It is going to require a lot of tweaking. 

I think by tomorrow the only thing I'll have left to do is install the bezel and CP (kind of a big deal!).  Pics to come tomorrow!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Installing the speakers was a little tougher than I anticipated (just like everything else).  I thought it was going to be a 20 minute job but it ended up taking well over an hour.  I bought a set of cheap 2.1 speakers from CompUSA to put in the cabinet.  I already had the holes cut out in the panel where the speakers were going to be mounted.  I ended up removing the speakers from the casing for installation but I still used the front panel of the speaker casing to secure the speakers in place.  Pics and a more detailed explanation can be found HERE.

Pics:

« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 09:29:28 pm by javeryh »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Well, I think I've finalized the CP design.  The first one is what I'm going with but it went through several phases as you can see before I settled on it.  I hope to make a mock-up this week but it might be tough due to work...

Final design:

Design #3

Design #2

Design #1

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Re: Bella's Arcade: Vertical Mini Cab [Final CP Design!]
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2006, 12:44:30 pm »
I started to make a mock-up CP last night and the button layout forced the height of the CP to be 6-7/8" tall which seems a little high.  I have room for it but that means there is a lot of dead space on the CP (which I could use to install a spinner) so I'm not sure overall how it will look.  I'm going to go ahead and finish drilling out the holes for the action buttons and joystick (which is arriving today!) and maybe even cover it in black vinyl to see what the "finished CP" will look like. 

I'm also not sure where exactly to put the joystick and action buttons - how far apart should they be?  I'm going to center them from top to bottom but I'm not sure how close to each other they should be...

If I decide to scrap it, no big deal - it only takes an hour or so to layout the buttons and drill out the holes...

Another CP thought to shrink it in size:

MinerAl

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2023, 07:11:28 am
  • duck
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2006, 01:19:28 pm »
You might want to consider non-arcade buttons for the non-arcade things like pause and escape.  A couple of radio shack 1/4 inch pushbutton switches would take up less vertical space than one arcade button.  They even look like the start buttons from Midway cocktail machines, so they aren't horribly un-authentic.  They're also candidates for other-than-on-the-CP buttons.  I'd like to put two translucent red coin buttons on a faux coin door on the front panel of my next mini-project.

Just some thoughts.

theCoder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2006, 11:22:46 pm »
As I was reading your last post, I was thinking exactly what MinerAl wrote.  I used three of the Radio Shack 1/2 inch buttons on my last project and it worked out well.  They take a 1/2 inch hole, and have about a 5/8 inch bezel.  I mounted mine 1 inch apart.  Unless you have already purchased the player 1 & 2 buttons, I would go with 4 small admin buttons, across the top right with labels underneath.  For what its worth...

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2006, 11:53:33 pm »
I vote that you leave it how it is. I like it, and I think it'll make sense to your young daughter.

psychotech

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 27, 2011, 11:01:50 pm
    • psychotech
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2006, 07:38:56 am »
Well, I'd say you should stick to that "Final design" above but use smaller admin buttons. Those small buttons really save space ..and they're not that different from the real buttons. That layout looks good otherwise  :applaud:

For a cp -layout with minibuttons etc... http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=56653.0

;)

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2006, 09:11:03 am »
Thanks for the comments!  I posted this in the main forum but I'll copy it here:

Well, it's time for the daily update.  Last night I finished making a mock-up of the CP with the 4 buttons on the left.  Here it is:

The top of the CP is right at where the bottom of the T-square is located.  The bottom of the CP more or less goes right to the bottom of the panel (I just need to rip it straight but if you look closely you can see the pencil line).  Also note that all of the admin buttons will be black on the final CP - I just didn't have enough extra lying around.

I'm thinking it is one button too tall and that I need to seriously consider relocating or removing the coin button so only 3 buttons are on the right.  It's not that I don't have the room for it - this is strictly on proportions by eyeballing it.

Mini-button issue:  I have thought about using mini-buttons but this cab isn't for me.  In fact, my last cab made good use of the minis for admin purposes:

I know there's not much difference in what a mini button does versus a regular one (you just press it, duh!) but for some reason I think the size will make it easier for my daughter to understand and to press.  My goal is to keep everything on the same plane (no buttons on the front) and all of the buttons the same size.  I know this isn't the ideal solution for a regular cab but I think it is what will make it easiest for her. 

I'm leaning towards the shorter "L" shaped design I posted above or possibly removing the coin button altogether and just hoping she can understand that you have to insert a quarter if you want to play.  Probably the "L" shape for simplicity's sake and sacrifice a little bit of the overall layout.

Any thoughts/comments? 

theCoder

• Offline Offline
Re: Bella's Arcade: Vertical Mini Cab [CP Mock-up - PICS!]
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2006, 11:07:59 am »
I have found that kids are very quick learners when it comes to gaming and computers.  I though my son would have a hard time picking up the concept of a mouse when he was 2 years old so I picked up one of those huge Microsoft trackballs especially designed for kids.  He blew right past the need and was successfully navigating windows within a few days (window open, double click to run, etc.) with a regular mouse.  Kids are smarter than some adults give them credit for.  My wife teaches pre-school and I hear some amazing stories.

You are wise to consider the ergonomics of the CP.  The size of the buttons for example is an issue.  Small uncoordinated hands work better with larger buttons.  If you are planning on making all of the admin buttons the same color, I would recommend making large, different colored borders around them.  Color in user interface controls is much easier to learn and remember than words or position.  Color with recognized symbols is even better.

What is your rational for keeping everything on the same plane?  Why not put the coin button on the front or wire something up to the coin return button?  Again, kids learn fast.

How about putting the player 1 & 2 buttons on the top left and move the esc. button to the row on the right.  That would reduce the row of four by one and balance things out a bit.

Just some ideas...

MinerAl

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2023, 07:11:28 am
  • duck
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2006, 02:35:10 pm »
My thinking was that it would help a kid if she knew the big buttons do stuff in the game and the little buttons do stuff that change the game.

What you said makes sense though.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2006, 03:09:19 pm »
What is your rational for keeping everything on the same plane?  Why not put the coin button on the front or wire something up to the coin return button?  Again, kids learn fast.

I just like the cleaner look of everything on the same plane I guess.  If I were to move buttons to the front panel I'd probably move the Player 1 and Player 2 buttons there just so there was more than one odd placed button.

I'm going to create a second mock-up tonight or tomorrow with the coin button completely removed - so there will be three buttons aligned vertically on the right.  I'm leaning towards just using the coin door for the coins (what a crazy idea for an arcade cab!).  I've thought about what you said and my daughter seems scary smart to me so I'm sure she will figure it out in no time.  She is a bit young right now though for the whole cab but by the time she "gets" Pac-man I'm sure the quarters will be easy for her too.  If all else fails and she just doesn't get it, I'll find a place for the coin button and add it after the fact.

How about putting the player 1 & 2 buttons on the top left and move the esc. button to the row on the right.  That would reduce the row of four by one and balance things out a bit.

I thought about this but I want the ESC button all by itself so there is very little chance it will accidentally get pressed when trying to insert a coin or start again.

My thinking was that it would help a kid if she knew the big buttons do stuff in the game and the little buttons do stuff that change the game.

This is very true - I do want her to be able to tell the difference.  I am planning to put vinyl labels on each of the admin buttons to differentiate them from the action buttons - also, they will all be black as opposed to pink.

Thanks for the ideas everyone!!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Re: Bella's Arcade: Vertical Mini Cab [Coin Door Panel Installed - PICS!]
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2006, 03:28:23 pm »
Kind of a boring update but here are the latest pics of my cab.  I installed the coin door panel and it closes pretty tight.  I need to remove some material along the edges with a router to give a little more clearance but otherwise it came out quite good.

More details and other more useless pictures can be found HERE.

Thanks for looking!!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 03:37:24 pm by javeryh »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Re: Bella's Arcade: Vertical Mini Cab [FINAL CP Design - PICS!]
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2006, 09:37:12 am »
OK, I didn't have much time over the weekend to work (stupid trees dropping leaves all over the place) but I did get a chance to make my final* control panel.  I went with a similar layout as the test one I made above but I ended up dropping one of the buttons on the right.  The panel looks way more proportioned now and it's just an all around better design.  I did have to sacrifice the "coin" button but I am going to be installing a working coin door so my daughter will just have to figure it out.  I might wire the player 2 coin return to act as a "coin" button if I find that inserting quarters is too much of a pain.  I'll also mount a switch on the inside to toggle this on and off so she isn't "free playing" all the time. 

Anyway, here are some pictures of the panel with everything cut:

Here's one of the joystick bottom installed in the routed area:

Here is the CP with everything installed (the bottom edge of the t-square is the top of the CP).  Also note that I will be covering the entire control panel with black vinyl, the bottom edge has yet to be rounded over to meet the control panel front and all of the admin buttons will be black and have pink vinyl labeling.

Finally, here is a comparison of the old design and the new one:

Thanks for looking!!

* subject to change  ;D

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2006, 12:57:35 pm »
I love it and the U 360 W/ Pink balltop...GENIOUS!! Wish I had a daughter to build a pink cab for!!

:cheers:
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2006, 03:45:39 pm »
I love it and the U 360 W/ Pink balltop...GENIOUS!! Wish I had a daughter to build a pink cab for!!

:cheers:

Thanks!  I had Andy confirm the pink balltop would fit before I ordered - and it does!  I think it will look sharp against the black vinyl CPO...

In other "news" I am having a very hard time finishing the cabinet portion and getting everything ready for paint.  The main problem is the control panel - I can't seem to figure out how the bottom part connects with the rest of the cabinet.  I also have to make sure it is removeable in case I need to do any maintenance in the future and I'm not quite sure how to accomplish this.  The only thing I can think of is to cut the panels on an angle and I don't know how to do this accurately with my tools.  Every thing except for these last two panels is cut and ready for paint so I'm almost there...

I'll post pictures of the trouble area tomorrow and hopefully someone here can help me.  I really wanted to finish today but I don't want to rush...

Things I need to do to finish the cabinet (for my own sanity):

1.  Cut hole in bezel panel for the monitor
2.  Cut hole in coin door panel for the coin door
3.  Remove material on back edge of coin door panel sides so door closes easier
4.  Cut CP front panel (angled edge)
5.  Cut CP bottom panel (angled edge)

It's not that much and #1, #2 and #3 will probably only take an hour or two but #4 and #5 are going to be a huge pain.  I really want to get the thing completely finished so I can get it out of the garage and inside the basement for painting - it's cold out there!!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 02:21:34 pm by javeryh »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2006, 01:01:25 pm »
Some quick pics of the cabinet with the bezel panel and CP installed (nothing is glued yet hence the clamp):

Here's the overall look - obviously I still need to cut the hole in the panel for the monitor and coin door.  The notch in the back is for the speaker and light wires that you can see hanging down.  I'm going to cover this with a panel that will be perpendicular to the bezel panel and meet the panel on the underside of the marquee - kind of sloping towards the player.

And here are some shots of the recess I've created to hold the glass and cardboard/plastic bezel over the monitor.  They will rest right on the CP panel with nothing but gravity holding them in place.  It's a 3/8" lip - I'm figuring on 3/16" to 1/4" thick glass and then something 1/8" thick or less for the bezel.  I had to rabbit the edge of the bezel panel (3/4" x 3/8") so the control panel has a place to rest (it is going to be removeable).

Any thoughts or suggestions?  Am I on the right track or is there something you would have done differently?  I'd also like to hear some ideas on how I should go about locking the CP in place so it doesn't move at all but I can still remove it if necessary.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 01:15:27 pm by javeryh »

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
Re: Bella's Arcade: Vertical Mini Cab [CP/Bezel Panel Installed - PICS!]
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2006, 01:55:37 pm »
javeryh,

Seeing you don't have a table saw it might be something to ask Santa for.  ;)  Another solution is to leave the MDF cut normally and not try for the crazy angle.  Here is what I would do instead...

Cut the front panel of the CP so the back corner meets up with the top corner of the middle support panel.  Wrap the middle support panel and cabinet sides with news paper.  Use bondo to fill in the space left between the front panel and the middle support panel.  The newspaper will prevent the bondo from adhering to the side and support panels. 

You are talking about the possibility of removing the CP for maintenance or future changes.  What I would do in your situation is move the buttons on the sides in a little bit to give you room for a piece of pine, 1x2 or 2x2 would do the trick.  This will give you a solid point for your screws instead of edge screwing the MDF.  I have ruined a few pieces of MDF by trying to hit my pre-drilled holes on the edges.  This way you can access the screws from the sides or the CP face and not worry about ruining the MDF.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 01:58:57 pm by Kaytrim »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2006, 12:17:04 pm »
Thanks Kaytrim!  That's a pretty good idea.  I'm a little afraid that the gap there would be a little big to use bondo on but I really don't know.  Also, it might be hard to hold things at the proper angle to let the bondo dry although I suppose if I used the bondo after everything was in place this would be less of a problem.  I need to think about this more but I might end up using your suggestion if I can't get the MDF cut at the proper angle.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2006, 01:30:46 pm »
OK, big update for a very small task:

This isn't glamorous but it sure was more time-consuming than I thought it would be. This entire process took me about an hour and a half which doesn't seem right but everything always takes longer than I think it should.  Last night I cut out the hole for the coin door on the front panel of the cabinet. I ordered the Happ Small Coin Door (but not from them) - it's a little pricey but I think it adds a real nice finishing touch and an "authentic" look to the cabinet. Plus, since I decided to remove the "coin" button from the control panel it will be the only way to start up the games!

The first thing I did was remove the coin door panel from the hinges (and remove the hinges too) so I could layout the mounting template in the center. This was pretty easy to do with just my t-square and pencil. The corners of the cutout are rounded and have a 1" radius so I had to drill a 2" diameter hole in each corner in order to get the proper cut. Here are some shots showing the layout and some of the holes drilled:

Once all 4 holes were cut in the corners I used my jigsaw to connect the holes and remove the interior material. I made sure to stay 1/8" inside the line for the rough cut so I can clean it up with the router and a flush trimming bit.

The final thing I did was use the router to make everything nice and even. Here are the results:

Unfortunately, the coin door hasn't arrived yet so I can't get a finished picture but it is supposed to come this week and I will post the final results when it gets here.

Whew! 

Stobe

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2024, 05:08:05 pm
  • Don't make a fuss, I'll have your Spam!
Re: Bella's Arcade: Vertical Mini Cab [Detailed Coin Door Cutout - PICS!]
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2006, 01:25:20 am »
Javery,

One solution for your CP dilema (whici may be too late in the planning stage) would be to have the front panel come all the way up to meet the CP top.  And have the CP front edge stick out just a little bit.  Then you could just T-slot the front edge of the CP, and use some T-molding to make it look nice.

Where the front panel meets the CP, you can put a piano hinge, and use panel clamps inside to secure the CP.

I hope this makes sense.  I can draw a pic if needed.

-Stobe

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2006, 10:56:00 am »
That's a great idea!  Too bad I think it's a little late for me to do that.  I've figured out that I only need to angle cut two pieces of MDF and both will be at the same angle.  I do have a table saw that I haven't taken out of the box yet because I don't have enough electricity in the garage to operate it (or so I was told).  I think I'm going to try and set it up this weekend just for these cuts.

In other depressing news I just finished adding up my total costs for the project so far and I'm just under $400.  I still have a few things to buy so it looks like I will be between $600 and $700 when all is said and done.  I wanted to keep it under $500 but oh well.  Here's the breakdown:

Bought:
MDF: $35.00/4'x8' sheet x 2 sheets = $70
Screws: $5.98/box x 1 box = $5.98
18" flourescent light (for behind marquee): $8.97
Wood support strips: $0.97/foot x 12 feet = $11.64
3 buttons, balltop joystick, t-molding from Dream Arcades = $32.75
Smart Strip power supply = $37.31
Hinges and magnetic clasp = $8.43
Ultimarc 360 Joystick = $59.00 (+$14.00 shipping)
Ultimarc Encoder Harness (for button wiring) = $8.00
Ultimarc Restrictor Plate (to shorten joystick throw) = $14.00
Ultimarc Hard Spring (to tighten joystick movement) = $5.00
Computer Speakers (2.1) = $21.39
Happ Small Single Coin Door = $59.95 (+$17.00 shipping)
Happ Six (6) black buttons with microswitch @1.35ea. = $8.10
Happ 60" Marquee Retainer @$5.00 per 30" = $10.00

TOTAL so far: $391.52

To buy:
Marquee
Dell 17" LCD Monitor
Primer/Paint/rubbing compound (for finish)
1/4" Glass (to cover monitor)
Black Posterboard (for bezel)

Stobe

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2024, 05:08:05 pm
  • Don't make a fuss, I'll have your Spam!
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2006, 11:08:38 am »
You shouldn't have any problem running your table saw, as long as you don't have a bunch of high current devices on the same leg at the same time.  I run mine off a normal 15A circuit.

And if the pieces you need are the same angle, then one cut will do it, since the remainder from the 1st cut will be the same angle after you turn the board over.  (Angles of intersection bewteen 2 parallel lines are equal-angular).

Who said we'd never use Geometry later in life :)

-Stobe

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2006, 11:52:10 am »
Here is a site that sells refurbished computers and monitors.  They currently have a few 17" LCD SVGA monitors for $150 + shipping.  Then there is of course eBay.  Here is a link to their 17" LCD category.  If you take the time and watch you can snag one quite cheaply.  Watch the shipping costs though some sellers gouge you on the shipping cost to make up for their low price.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2006, 02:30:03 pm »
Kaytrim - Thanks for that monitor site.  I still haven't ordered it yet!  I might wait until January because I don't think I'll be working on my cab until after the holidays.

Stobe - That's some serious geometry!  I thought of that and I even drew it out on paper to make sure I wasn't going crazy.  The attached picture is what I'm thinking of doing and yes I think the angles are the same.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Re: Bella's Arcade: Vertical Mini Cab [CRAZY Bezel Panel!]
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2006, 10:08:36 am »
Last update before the holidays!!

The bezel panel has finally been cut to size and it fits in place rather nicely (I still have to glue everything though). So far this has been the craziest piece I've cut due to the fact that I had to make 3 rabbet cuts in addition to cutting a notch in the rear for the speaker and marquee light wires to pass through. Also, this is a great excuse to show how the control panel will look once it is installed and explain how I made room for the black cardboard bezel which will eventually surround the monitor and the glass that goes on top. I think it came out pretty good!

The following is a shot of the rear of the bezel panel showing the notch I cut for the wires. I just used my jigsaw to cut the notch freehand. I am going to be installing an additional panel between the marquee bottom panel and the bezel panel that will go in front of the wires and cover the notch.

A while back I installed strips of pine on the interior of the cabinet so I would have a place to rest the bezel panel (which is also on the same plane as the control panel). However, after assembling the cabinet and placing a sheet of MDF in place where the bezel panel and control panel would go I realized that I hadn't allowed space for the black cardboard bezel and glass that would eventually cover the monitor.

My solution for this was to cut a 3/8" rabbet on the sides on the bottom of the panel. This would allow the bezel panel to sit 3/8" lower than I had originally anticipated. However, since I didn't want the control panel to sit lower as well I created a 3/8" rabbet on the top of the bezel panel that the control panel could rest on. This would also create a lip between the control panel and the bezel panel so the black cardboard bezel and glass had a place to sit and the entire thing would be flush when finished. The picture below is a mock-up of what I am trying to accomplish.

As you can see, I am going to use the control panel as a lip for the glass and cardboard bezel to rest on. Once they are installed the entire surface should be uniform.

The next pictures show how I cut the bezel panel. The close-ups are of the side showing the rabbet cut which allows the panel to sit 3/8" lower than I had originally planned (creating the space for the cardboard bezel and glass).

The next picture is a close-up of the front of the bezel panel with the rabbit I made in the front which the control panel will sit on. It is also 3/8" deep and as you can see removing 3/8" from the top and bottom of a 3/4" sheet of MDF completely removes the corners. This gap will be covered though so it's not a problem or anything.

The next picture shows the front rabbet across the width of the cabinet.

Finally, these last shots show what the final installed control panel will look like as well as the lip that will support the cardboard bezel and glass that covers the monitor.

Thanks for looking!!

theCoder

• Offline Offline
Re: Bella's Arcade: Vertical Mini Cab [CRAZY Bezel Panel!!]
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2006, 11:30:48 am »
I see your project has the infamous "weird angled joint".  I think every cab projects have at least one of these.

What did you use to make the rabbit cuts?  Router or table saw?

Great progress.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2006, 12:20:53 pm »
I see your project has the infamous "weird angled joint".  I think every cab projects have at least one of these.

What did you use to make the rabbit cuts?  Router or table saw?

Great progress.

Thanks! 

I hate that weird angle joint!  It's the last thing I have to cut before I can call the construction complete and start the finishing process.  I really need to set up my table saw.

I used my trusty router, straightedge and a dado bit to make the rabbet cuts.  It took a while (I nibbled 1/8" of the material away at a time and had to make 3 passes on each rabbet to get to a 3/8" depth) but everything came out nice and even.  I wish I could use a router to make the weird angle cut too!

I'm hoping that next week I will start finishing the cabinet.  My wife and kid will be at her parents house as a little extension to the holidays (I have to work next week).  I need to pick up the primer/sealant and buy the pink paint, sandpaper and possibly a sprayer.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 12:23:31 pm by javeryh »

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2006, 01:07:03 pm »
I'm hoping that next week I will start finishing the cabinet. 
I'm pretty much at the same point on my project as well.  I'm not looking forward to painting in the winter.  It's cold & rainy where I live.  Oh, well.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Re: Bella's Arcade: Vertical Mini Cab [Marquee is ordered!!]
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2007, 10:26:32 am »
OK, minor update for something major to the project.... the marquee has been ordered!!

The total cost came to $58.93 with shipping. The marquee was $15.95 and I also ordered plexiglass cut to size for $24.99 and an upgrade to the "Ultimate" style material for an extra $10.00. Shipping was $7.99.

Overall, I think it's a little pricey but I also think it will be worth it in the long run. I've heard nothing but praise from everyone who uses mamemarquees so I'm excited to see the final product.

Here's the final design of the marquee - sized properly to 6.5" tall by 18.5" wide and leaving a 0.75" edge on the top and bottom to accomodate the marquee retainer that will be used to hold it in place.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot - a HUGE THANK YOU to megashock for designing this awesome piece of art and putting up with me through all of the minor tweaking I had him do. I am very very pleased with how this came out.

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 10:28:36 am by javeryh »

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2007, 01:18:27 am »
...I also ordered plexiglass cut to size for $24.99 and an upgrade to the "Ultimate" style material for an extra $10.00...Overall, I think it's a little pricey
Why plexiglass on the marquee?  On my first cab I used two pieces of 1/8" glass.  I think I paid around $14.  I called in the dimensions in the morning, and picked it over lunch; no shipping.

And what about the artwork/treatment for the CP?

Can't wait to see the back-lit marquee.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2007, 12:09:09 pm »
...I also ordered plexiglass cut to size for $24.99 and an upgrade to the "Ultimate" style material for an extra $10.00...Overall, I think it's a little pricey
Why plexiglass on the marquee?  On my first cab I used two pieces of 1/8" glass.  I think I paid around $14.  I called in the dimensions in the morning, and picked it over lunch; no shipping.

And what about the artwork/treatment for the CP?

Can't wait to see the back-lit marquee.

I guess I could have gone to the glass shop for less but I just want to be done with it at this point and $25 won't kill me (although the aggregate cost of this thing just might  ;D). 

As for the CP, I'm planning on just using the black Happs vinyl (with some pink vinyl decals for directional arrows around the joystick from MikeDeuce) but I guess I'd be willing to entertain the idea of using a real CP overlay.  Unfortunately I have ZERO design skills when it comes to using Illustrator or Photoshop so I'd be totally reliant on someone else to make it for me.  Maybe I'll ask the guy who did the marquee to whip something up in a similar style for the CP but I don't want to be a bigger pain than I already am (he did the marquee for free!). 

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2007, 09:20:03 am »
Oops.  I realized shortly after sending the marquee to get printed that I sent the wrong file!  I had the one shown above darkened because I was afraid of too much white light shining through.  Anyway, Scott didn't start printing yet so no harm no foul.  Here's the real actual revised marquee:

Whew!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2007, 08:36:44 am »
OK, I need to get organized and make a list of things I need to do to finish.  I've been stagnated for about a month and it's making me crazy.

Cabinet:
Cut out hols in bezel panel for monitor
Create supports for monitor on the back of the bezel panel
Bevel coin door panel so it opens and closes easily
Cut remaining two panels for control panel
Glue all remaining panels in place

Finish:
Prime (2 coats)
Paint (multiple coats)
Finish with rubbing compound/wax

Miscellaneous:
Cut marquee retainer to length and install
Install t-molding
Install speaker covers
Configure and install computer

I think that's it but I just can't seem to find any time to continue... plus it's cold out so finishing it is going to be a problem.  *sigh*  Anyway, my marquee arrived from Mamemarquees yesterday and it is absolutely stunning.  I'll post pics later...

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2007, 05:56:12 pm »
I finished the cutout for the monitor today.  It is so cold outside and I think the weather is messing with my cabinet.  The monitor panel used to fit really tight and now it's a bit loose.  I am using MDF and I didn't think the weather would affect it - I need to move everything to the basement this week (I need help to move it though).

I guess I'll set up the paint booth in the basement so I can still spray it but that's going to be a pain.  I also have to finish cutting the last pieces outside (sawdust issues) and glue them up downstairs - what a pain!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Re: Bella's Arcade: Vertical Mini Cab [Marquee PICS!!!]
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2007, 06:36:08 pm »
Marquee arrived - here are the pics as promised.  This thing is stunning in person.  Super high quality!  More details later about service, shipping time, packaging, etc... (all great!)

« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 06:54:23 pm by javeryh »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Re: Bella's Arcade: Vertical Mini Cab [Marquee PICS!!! 01.21.2007]
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2007, 11:41:16 am »
Review as promised:

Mamemarquees Review

I am getting closer to finishing my MAME arcade cabinet and it is now time to start shifting my thinking from how I want the cabinet to play to how I want the cabinet to look and its overall artistic design.  If I want to put this thing in my daughter’s room it is going to have to be really nice to get wife approval.  I have known from the start of this project that I wanted to make something girly and personal that my daughter could really call her own and she may not know it right now but in a few years this thing is going to be really cool to have in her room.  To me, there’s nothing more important from a visual standpoint on an upright arcade cabinet than the marquee.  Your eye is instantly drawn there and I think that it can make or break a cab in terms of appearance and the “I want one of those” factor.

Based on the rave reviews around here I decided that I was going to use Mamemarquees to print the custom marquee for my arcade cabinet.  I thought about going to Kinko’s but in the end I decided that a few extra dollars wouldn’t break the bank and it would be worth it.  Anyway, on to the review…

1.  Ordering and Cost

After finalizing my design (thanks again megashock5!), the first thing I did was place the order on the mamemarquees website.  It was easy enough to navigate - I went to the “Customer Design” page and selected the “Customer Designed Marquee.”  This brought me to the ordering page and I was presented with a bunch of drop-down menus to customize my order.  The first choice was the marquee size (there are different categories based on width).  I chose “up to 23.00 inches” since I needed it to be 18.5 inches across ($15.95).  The next choice was whether or not I wanted two pieces of plexiglass to ship with my order cut to the exact marquee size.  The plexiglass will sandwich the marquee for support and installation.  This was a no-brainer for me because I just didn’t want to have to deal with cutting it myself (+$24.99).  The next choice was which material I wanted the marquee printed on - Premium or Ultimate.  Premium is the standard material and Ultimate comes with a luster laminate which coats the entire marquee and is supposed to look even better when backlit - I went with the Ultimate (+$10.00).  Finally, I entered my name and the exact dimensions of my marquee and added it to my cart.  Shipping was $7.99 so the total for the entire order was $58.93.  Checkout was a breeze and they accepted PayPal which made it really simple to pay for it.

2.  Communication

Mamemarquees (Scott) was very responsive to the several emails I sent him over a two or three day span.  I always had a response within a few hours of sending the message.  I actually submitted the wrong file for printing (it was a near-final version I had without some last second tweaks) and he was very understanding about it and he told me he would wait for me to send him the finalized file before printing.  His responsiveness alleviated the little bit of worry on my part that he was printing the wrong file or something.  I’m sure he deals with idiot customers such as myself all the time and it probably makes him a little nuts.  Anyway, it was a pleasure dealing with him.

3.  Delivery Time

I placed my order on January 11 (a Thursday) and I had the marquee in hand on January 20 (the following Saturday) and this was even with the mix-up on my part.  Scott sent the package via USPS Priority Mail with delivery confirmation (which is 2-day delivery, I think).  Talk about fast!

4.  Packaging

The marquee came well packaged in a flat cardboard envelope that was a bit oversized.  It was sandwiched between the two sheets of plexiglass for protection.  Here are a few shots of the packaging and what it looked like what I opened it up:

5. Overall

I am extremely please with my overall experience with Mamemarquees.  Both the service and the product are top notch.  The marquee I ordered was a little pricey but definitely worth it.  Based on my experience I can recommend them without hesitation to anyone else out there who wants to make their arcade cabinet really stand out.

Here's the final product:

I hope this helps some of you out there who are debating whether or not to use Mamemarquees!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 03:13:28 pm by javeryh »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Re: Bella's Arcade: Vertical Mini Cab [Bezel Panel - Finished!!! 01.25.2007]
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2007, 11:14:03 pm »
I was able to find a little bit of time over the weekend to get some more work done on the arcade cabinet. I finished making the last cuts on the bezel panel (cutting out the rectangle for the monitor). This proved to be a little more difficult than it sounds because I had no way of getting into the corners to make a perfectly square cut. I ended up eyeballing it and sanding - it came out OK but it will eventually be covered by the black posterboard bezel I'll be making to hide the monitor casing.

The first thing I did (after laying out the rectangle using a t-square and pencil) was to drill pilot holes in the corners. I picked the largest bit I had and drilled 4 holes about 1/8" inside of the lines. Next, using the holes I just cut as starting points, I used my jigsaw to connect the holes - again staying about 1/8" inside of the lines. You can see the pilot holes and the crooked lines I made connecting them in the picture below.

At this point I had a rough cut frame that needed to be cleaned up:

The next thing I had to do was use my router, flush trimming bit and a straight edge to remove the extra material and make a perfect rectangle. This is where I had to get creative with my router set up and my use of shims and clamps. As you can see by the pictures, I had to raise the work piece quite a bit to get everything set up properly. It worked though! This is what I love about home projects - there is always a solution to a problem if you stare at it long enough.

I used a piece of 1"x2" wood as a straight edge and I set it up so I could run the router and flush trimming bit along the inside edge of the bezel cut out. I repeated this process 4 times (once for each side) and I ended up with a perfectly cut rectangle - except for the corners.

As you can see by the next set of pictures, after making the 4 cuts around the bezel, I was left with some material in each of the corners that the router bit could not reach.

In order to remove the excess material, I used the jigsaw, a steady hand and some sandpaper. I wanted the corners to be as square as possible but they will eventually be covered by the black posterboard bezel so I'm not too worried if there are small imperfections in the corners.

This is the final result:

Not too bad, eh?

Dmod

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 12, 2012, 06:50:45 pm
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2007, 06:20:35 pm »
Looking good.

Why did you decide to raise up the guide and use a flush trimming bit instead of a regular straight bit and just running the router against a straight edge?

I'm a router newbie so this may be a stupid question.
My Projects:
Suspended Animation Scratch-built Cab
Driveshaft Arcade Seat Platform

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2007, 10:56:33 pm »
Looking good.

Why did you decide to raise up the guide and use a flush trimming bit instead of a regular straight bit and just running the router against a straight edge?

I'm a router newbie so this may be a stupid question.

My guess is he doesn't have a straight bit. I suppose he could've hid the flush trim bearing, but if your going to setup a straight edge and use a straight bit - it's really no different that using a flush trim bit.

Looking good Javery! I've been following your progress - I can't wait to see it all done.