Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CP Showed Up...Bah!  (Read 3248 times)

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
CP Showed Up...Bah!
« on: November 04, 2006, 12:44:56 pm »
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I own an old DATA EAST cabinet.  The type with the rounded marquee.  It used to house either a ROBOCOP or (more likely) a BAD DUDES.   I noticed that THE REAL GHOSTBUSTERS also used a cabinet VERY SIMILAR to mine,  and I managed to find a control panel from it.  The control panel is a 3 player CP and I was going to use 2 side spots for joystick/buttons and the central area for a trackball/spinner.

Well,  being that I got the CP for free,  I only had to cough up $16 for shipping,  I can't really complain...but I was VERY disappointed to see that this CP will not fit my cabinet without some butchering of the cabinet itself.

I'd PREFER to come up with a solution that doesn't require cutting up my cabinet.  Again,  I need the room to put 2x6 joystick/button support and a trackball/spinner area.   Can anyone make any suggestions on what in the hell I can do to NOT have to cut up my cabinet but still get enough room to fit all my controls?   The current CP on it is set up 2x6 joystick/buttons on an all metal CP....whats worse is that it is the original BAD DUDES/ROBOCOP control panel that has been bondo'd and re-bondo'd, it appears.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 09:22:53 pm by FrizzleFried »
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

_) (V) (-)

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2018, 11:56:39 am
  • There's supposed to be an earth shattering KaBoom!
Re: CP Showed Up...Bah!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 11:59:26 am »
Some pictures might help us to provide options for you.

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 03:25:44 am »
I appreciate the offer...I just ranted to hear myself rant...i made my decision.

Here is what I have so far:

_) (V) (-)

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2018, 11:56:39 am
  • There's supposed to be an earth shattering KaBoom!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 11:24:09 am »
It don't look so bad at all. Maybe you could modify the cp rather than the cabnet?

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 01:37:52 pm »
Unfortunately not...the "wings" that need cutting off are right in the way...unless I build an expansion box to set in to the current "hole" then mount this CP to that...but then I think it would look asstastic.  I have a good idea of what I need to do...i hate cutting in to the cabinet,  but I see no other REAL choice.

Here is a picture of the cabinet and where I plan to cut:

Fozzy The Bear

• Handbags at dawn in here!!!
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2011, 11:29:59 am
  • It's Been One Of Those Days... Don't Ask!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 03:32:24 pm »
i hate cutting in to the cabinet,  but I see no other REAL choice

Why dont you just jigsaw slots into the cp box... so that it fits over the wings on the cabinet. That way you don't have to butcher your cabinet at all. If this means that you have to relocate some things slightly and maybe give it a new top panel what's the loss!

like you said, you'd rather not cut the cabinet.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
Most bottles and jars contain at least twenty-five percent recycled Pacman.
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 04:11:18 pm »
Fozzy...I really considered it,  however,  it won't work.  There simply is not enough space on the CP to do such a thing.  The slots would set the joystick in for P1 and the buttons in for P2...all the space on the outside of the slots would be wasted as there would literally only be about 2 square inches of space on the outside.   

I've really considered my options,  and aside from the expansion box,  I don't see how i'd do it and maintain enough usable CP space.

I had a chance to take a look at a Ghostbuster cabinet the other day...and it seems that is exactly what the folks at DATA EAST did...they cut off about where I am planning and added the CP.

On hindsight,  I may have gone with an expansion box situation,  but now that I have the work done...I think I am pretty set in my way...unless someone comes up with an incredible idea.

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 02:44:22 am »
Welp...I got her installed...

Not bad for a first timer I figure.   I still have some wiring a LOT of cleanup to do.   What do you suggest to cover the crack where the new CP meets the cabinet?  Is there a good molding I could install? (like a 90 degree molding?)...I guess I could use wood filler but that would then require a painting...I like the molding idea...any suggestions?