Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Where to get merchandise made?  (Read 27347 times)

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
Where to get merchandise made?
« on: March 25, 2003, 11:26:15 pm »
The point has been brought up that CafePress.com only has white shirts.  Suggestions for alternative locations please?  Very strong preference for a internet based site that does all the work similar to cafepress.com ...
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

DeathMonk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2015, 02:01:12 pm
    • MameStation.3
Re:Where to get merchandise made?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2003, 09:54:16 am »
There's a place here locally that makes custom t's...  They made a shirt for a friend of mines band.  I'm not completely positive but I think they had them made for $5 a pop.

Now with cup beer holders!

Distortion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2016, 04:39:20 pm
  • Saints Row 2, Sucka
    • Volition
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2003, 10:53:04 am »
For my band, we used http://www.jakprints.com.  Our stuff turned out great and the shirts are of great quality, preshrunk, the whole bit.  You can actually see one on the Warped Tour 2002 website http://www.warpedtour.com/02/cleveland/cleveland_photo.html photo on the top right!  I was so psyched when I saw that on there!  Low quality pic, though.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2003, 10:55:23 am by Distortion »
Game programmers do not play games for a living.  Would you say a mechanic drives cars for a living?

Keith O

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2006, 04:55:42 pm
  • Get off me cheese!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2003, 12:48:23 pm »
I purchase a T from cafepress.com and even though it's not silkscreen, it's held up pretty well so far. It's been washed at least a couple dozen times and the image is still in good shape. The advantage of using a company like this (I'm sure there are others) is that it's easily accessible to everyone.

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2003, 01:55:23 pm »
I say no to Cafepress.com.  That place sounds great at first but #1 they only sell white/light grey shirts....

#2, they don't even have hooded sweatshirts (but they have frisbees! oohhh!!!!)

Magnet_Eye

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2020, 09:26:19 pm
  • Feel the heat?
    • Web Hosting deals for BYOAC Users!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2003, 07:34:55 pm »
I vote NO to cafepress.com! its like $12.99 per shirt, and its just an iron on AND only in white/grey.

I say find a deal with a screenprinter for like $5/pop. Like i mentioned, i have a friend that IS a screenprinter. Good work. His site is www.blackjackhumboldt.com, not much there yet but they screenprint ANYTHING. Hats, shirts, sweatshirts, cd's, etc.

8)
I offer discounted WEB HOSTING to BYOAC members! Only $2.49 a month for a FULL FEATURED account! www.cloud9media.com

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2003, 09:12:22 pm »
I agree on the cafepress.com sucking but before you guys go off suggesting a bunch of sites, this is what I gained by my conversation with saint.  

#1 Online sites are very preferable and if it's not online based then it has to make up for it in other areas in a huge way. (Not just 2 bucks cheaper.)

#2  We really don't want to have to deal with sites that have a service fee per design or minimum orders. If they do have these things then the design cost must be very low and the minimum order extremely low (e.g. like 25 or less).  

#3 None of these are rules, just things to go by.  With that being said saint will most likely have the final say.  What I have went over so far is what Saint says he would like in a place and therefore there probably a good rule of thumb to go by.    

Now that that's out of the way, please keep it up, but check out these details before you post suggestions please.  :)

DeathMonk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2015, 02:01:12 pm
    • MameStation.3
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2003, 10:17:06 am »
"#1 Online sites are very preferable and if it's not online based then it has to make up for it in other areas in a huge way. (Not just 2 bucks cheaper.)"

I'm willing to bet that most t-shirt shops do not have their own site..  After all it's not that big of a business.  IMO, I think your going to find the best deals at local t-shirt shops.  If you still disagree, there is still a possibility that the online sites will come to some agreement on a deal if it's going to be a quantity.

Now with cup beer holders!

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2003, 02:34:06 pm »
I think cafepress.com is advantageous because:
1) They are online
2) you don't have to order 500 shirts per order
But they do fall short in colors - no black, navy, etc.

We get shirts printed at work sometimes for events that we sponsor, BUT there is ALWAYS a minimum order of like 300-600 shirts.   Some printers have different minimum orders but they all have something(meaning, no one at a time printing).  They look awesome silkscreened, but that means a HUGE investment up front for buying a bunch of shirts and selling them himself- cafepress seems to print an order as they go(is this correct?)

I doubt anyone would want to shell out the $$$ for a bunch of t-shirts, even if it's only 100 at a time.  Most t-shirt places need a minimum or else it's just not cost effective - kind of like offset printing, where most of the cost is an overhead.  I think that's why cafepress is so popular

Just my $.02

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2003, 02:54:42 pm »
Well my 0.02 cents is that I would not buy any BYOAC clothing if it's from cafepress.com.  

All you get are white clothes.  Why settle for such crappy colors?

I'm down with that Jakprints place mentioned above.  Good prices and not very much of a minimum order.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2003, 02:57:48 pm by Jakobud »

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2003, 03:39:51 pm »
Well my 0.02 cents is that I would not buy any BYOAC clothing if it's from cafepress.com.  

All you get are white clothes.  Why settle for such crappy colors?

I'm down with that Jakprints place mentioned above.  Good prices and not very much of a minimum order.

*cough* they have ash grey too and they have MUGS!

Just pointing that out... a *real* screenprinter is preferred naturally, but the ease of cafepress is a plus.

rampy

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2003, 04:41:17 pm »
Has anyone tried to find out where the mame.net shirts were made?  My MAME t-shirt is pretty high quality and the graphic doesn't seem likely to fade, some kind of rubbery-type stuff, to be technical. :)

The other plus is the shirts are obviously available in black.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2003, 06:52:47 pm »
Has anyone tried to find out where the mame.net shirts were made?  My MAME t-shirt is pretty high quality and the graphic doesn't seem likely to fade, some kind of rubbery-type stuff, to be technical. :)

The other plus is the shirts are obviously available in black.

We checked this out and they are done out of the country, in Nicoli's neck of the woods. :)  Probably not an option.

RacerX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2022, 12:06:34 pm
  • Longtime member, sometime poster.
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2003, 08:18:15 pm »
The point has been brought up that CafePress.com only has white shirts.  Suggestions for alternative locations please?  Very strong preference for a internet based site that does all the work similar to cafepress.com ...

The following are some online places I found that will do screen printing.

This site has a 24 shirt minimum with prices in the $15-$16 range for 4 colors on the front and 4 colors on the back.  It would be in the $10 range if we only printed 4 colors on one side.  They have black shirts.
http://artapart.com/secure/AutoQuote.asp

This site has an 18 shirt minimum.  Prices look to be in the $11.50 range per shirt according to my calculations.  I didn't see any colors listed for the shirts.  So I'm not sure if they have black or not.
http://customlogofactory.com/screenprices.htm

The first one looks like it could possibly work.  But we would probably have to collect all the money from folks and then order so nobody would have to front the money.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2003, 08:20:37 pm by RacerX »

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2003, 08:37:28 pm »
Don't get me wrong - I wasn't endorsing cafepress.com, just pointing out they seem like they could handle the 'few-shirts-at-a-time' order.   Maybe some other places could too.  I myself prefer black, but I wouldn't mind white.  not grey though.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 11:07:22 am by saint »

RacerX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2022, 12:06:34 pm
  • Longtime member, sometime poster.
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2003, 08:40:35 pm »
Don't get me wrong - I wasn't endorsing cafepress.com, just pointing out they seem like they could handle the 'few-shirts-at-a-time' order.   Maybe some other places could too.  I myself prefer black, but I wouldn't mind white.  not grey though.

I was looking around, was Branders.com mentioned?

Yeah, cafepress.com isn't horrible.  It just isn't screen printing quality.  I have a shirt from there.  It's a Hanes Beefy-T, which is a really good quality shirt.

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2003, 11:01:46 pm »
Check out http://www.zazzle.com/ -- They seem to have a good mix of products available, and will send 10% to the contributor (i.e. back to upkeep of the FAQ) on anything sold if we set it up right... Opinions?
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2003, 12:02:36 am »
We need to make sure we choose a place that offers

1. normal t-shirts
2. long sleeve t-shirts
3. hooded sweatshirts

b/c I am willing to bet that those three products will be the majority of what this group will buy.

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2003, 03:40:04 am »
Check out http://www.zazzle.com/ -- They seem to have a good mix of products available, and will send 10% to the contributor (i.e. back to upkeep of the FAQ) on anything sold if we set it up right... Opinions?

I like the "Basic T, Sleeve Raglan" that baseball looking shirt thing.  But for the most part I think everything was white there, well, at least not black.  Maybe I didn't look hard enough.  

I like the throw back that you would get for your site though.

Chad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2003, 07:46:59 pm
  • 'There's no place like 127.0.0.1' :thinkgeek.com
    • Chad's Invasion Site
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2003, 09:00:24 am »
My brother prints shirts and I was working on a few to sell with the 25 cent sign on them. If you want you can have them or he can make some. I have some samples on my site.

http://people.smu.edu/cmadding/mame/shirts.html

They are simple designs I was going to have him make but I thought they would look cool.
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't" :thinkgeek.com

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2003, 10:40:30 am »

They seem like a viable option - and the 10% for board upkeep is an excellent idea!  

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2003, 07:20:28 pm »
Zazzle doesn't offer any black shirts, but they do offer colors and a great variety of styles.  Soemthing they also offer is chemical infusion (is that hte correct term?) printing.  I'm not so sure why everyone is hung up on screen printing as professional shirts are not screen printed.  Screen printing is much much better than heat transfers (aka iron-ons which is what cafepress does)  but infusing the ink is the only way to get a non-"puffy" image with a high color pallette that is still durable.   Concert t-shirts and children's shirts are often printed using this method.  Screen printing is used more for printing generic corporate logos on various materials, including shirts, jerseys and garmet bags.  It's a super low pallette count (usually 2-4 colors max)  and has a raised slick feel to the ink, which is really annoying imho.  

Just some stuff thought I would share, not that it makes that much of a difference.  So in case you haven't figured it out, so far zazzle gets my vote.  :)

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2003, 07:48:20 pm »
Hey we could get them embroidered!  i'm kidding, i'm kidding...

powerslave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2003, 09:39:43 pm
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2003, 03:45:04 pm »
hey.. checkout..

http://www.contagiousgraphics.com/

when i played for hatescar,we had shirts made my them.. and they have black,etc..

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2003, 04:10:20 pm »
Looks good but they have a 8 color maximum limit.  That doesnt' sound so bad, but they count colors for front and back seperately, so that's 4 colors per side.  Also they use dot printing technique for high color pictures, which makes a very noticable dither on graphics.  

Not saying it's a bad solution, it's just it would extremely limit the design we used.  

CustomArcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2003, 10:38:34 pm
  • Who's Your User?
    • VoodooMachine
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2003, 05:25:54 pm »
Try Here:

http://customink.com/cink/r.jsp?R=cis%3Dadwords%26st%3D2010

Custom Ink has a variety of colors

............Is web based (has a cool little online quick quote tool I.E. I put 50 t-shirts in Orange with 4 colors on the front and 1 color on the back it was 14.50 a shirt ahbeit John you should charge 20 a shirt but 14 bucks for 4 color silk screen is very strong.)

............I would be glad to help anyway I can.

"Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomically against it."

Magnet_Eye

• Offline Offline
  • Feel the heat?
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2003, 06:42:41 pm »
Looks good but they have a 8 color maximum limit.  That doesnt' sound so bad, but they count colors for front and back seperately, so that's 4 colors per side.  Also they use dot printing technique for high color pictures, which makes a very noticable dither on graphics.  

Not saying it's a bad solution, it's just it would extremely limit the design we used.  

All screenprinting uses a 4 color process. That's how it's done. That doesn't mean you only get 4 actual colors. You create an image, then do a 4 color seperation (CMYK). You can overlap any two colors to create other colors (C+Y=Green).

I have several friends in the screenprinting business. Once a design is done, I would be happy to get us an estimate.

I offer discounted WEB HOSTING to BYOAC members! Only $2.49 a month for a FULL FEATURED account! www.cloud9media.com

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2003, 08:05:29 pm »
All screenprinting uses a 4 color process. That's how it's done. That doesn't mean you only get 4 actual colors. You create an image, then do a 4 color seperation (CMYK). You can overlap any two colors to create other colors (C+Y=Green).

I have several friends in the screenprinting business. Once a design is done, I would be happy to get us an estimate.

That's incorrect.  Screen printing is another term for 'Silk-Screen Printing'.  You are thinking of process-color printing (standard CMYK).  2 totally different things.   The very term 'screen' is used to describe the opacity of a certain spot color (be it CMYK or a pantone color).  

Magnet_Eye

• Offline Offline
  • Feel the heat?
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2003, 08:55:05 pm »
yeah youre right. two different things.....i was just talking to a friend that does printing. Anyway, he says he uses the Pantone Matching System...you mix the inks to create other colors...but you start with like 3 colors (+black) i believe to do this.

I think some people here think that 4 color means you only get 4 actual colors. that's all i really wanted to clarify.

blah!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2003, 06:23:32 pm »
yeah youre right. two different things.....i was just talking to a friend that does printing. Anyway, he says he uses the Pantone Matching System...you mix the inks to create other colors...but you start with like 3 colors (+black) i believe to do this.

I think some people here think that 4 color means you only get 4 actual colors. that's all i really wanted to clarify.

blah!

I checked out this site and their process thuroughly... in this case you do only get 4 colors.  They don't do dithered matching or blending.  Check out their examples if you don't believe me.  

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2003, 08:37:14 pm »

I checked out this site and their process thuroughly... in this case you do only get 4 colors.  They don't do dithered matching or blending.  Check out their examples if you don't believe me.  
*I assume we are talking about contagiousgraphics.com*
I checked out their examples - too bad they can't use real pictures of t-shirts instead of computer mock-ups.  It would be nice to see some of their designs up-close, then have someone model it so we could say, "Ok, I see you can do that kind of image - we now have something to work with." that would solve the color and dithering issues we are discussing.

Ted_Striker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2016, 01:28:42 pm
  • Insert Witty Comment Here!
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2003, 12:49:57 am »
Looking at the Zazzle site... they seem to be exactly what we want.  Especially with the royalty thing.  They do offer other color shirts.  However, if you read about their process, they do say that their printing on colored shirts will change the color of the picture.  They do show some examples.  So basically if you pick a different color other than white the printing will not be the same.  So to me that says that only white shirts are available with the "true" design.  Definately something to consider.

But then I shouldn't ---smurfette--- about color changes cause I use a PC monitor in my cabinet ;)  Hey it's close enough and it was free!

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2003, 06:30:22 pm »
Well admins?  You guys have some sort of preference yet?

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2003, 09:50:13 pm »
Not till the end of April / Beginning of May :)

Well admins?  You guys have some sort of preference yet?
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com