Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade Glass FS  (Read 12431 times)

tommy

• Trade Count: (0)
Arcade Glass FS
« on: October 23, 2006, 06:06:57 pm »
Edited** Lucite/Lexan only.

Arcade 1/4 lucite/lexan glass clear.  All glass will be cut to size exactly to the 1/16 from your measurements up to 30x30 size. All glass will be cut to size new from glass sheets. Anything else needed done to the glass as in rounded edges or holes drilled in the glass you will need to send a pattern and will be made exactly as you need  for an lextra charge.

If you need a bigger size then offered please email me a question first. Glass does not have any artwork or decals, plain glass only offered.

$60.00 Plus shipping for the standard size listed.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 09:43:15 pm by tommy »

dweebs0r

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 16, 2023, 04:49:40 pm
  • Ascendo tuum!
    • Jodys Garage Arcade
Re: Arcade Glass FS
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 07:47:10 pm »
your choice of grey, bronze or clear

Do you have any comparison pictures of the different colors?

Thanks,
-D

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 09:10:01 am »

That's a good price.  Is this tempered glass?

tommy

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 05:50:32 pm »
your choice of grey, bronze or clear

Do you have any comparison pictures of the different colors?

Thanks,
-D

I will try to get up some pics of the different types soon for you.

That's a good price.  Is this tempered glass?

Price does not include it being tempered as it will need to be send out for that process and will take way too long to get orders done quickly, not to mention cost more. I would rather not send glass out to be tempered unless i have many orders.

dweebs0r

• Offline Offline
  • Ascendo tuum!
    • Jodys Garage Arcade
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 08:46:33 pm »
Thanks for the pics.  I have very dark tinted plexi in it now and it is way too dark.  It really seems to take away from the clarity of the monitor even with the brightness all the way up but the clear plexi I put in it doesnt seem quite right either.

-D

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 09:15:47 am »

IMO, clean glass always looks a lot better than the best plexi.  Plexi ages and is what many call a "living material".

Zakk

• Gosh, that's a real nice... ooh look, a penny! -- That Zakk is Just Mean
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 03:35:42 pm
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 06:55:31 pm »

Plexi ages and is what many call a "living material".

I feed my plexi cheetos.
Back for nostalgia, based on nostalgia.

tommy

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 09:48:15 pm »
Shipping should not be more than $20.00 to most areas in the US.

I'm still working on getting some good pictures up in this thread soon.

dweebs0r

• Offline Offline
  • Ascendo tuum!
    • Jodys Garage Arcade
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 09:50:50 pm »
Great.

If possible, show the various glass colors over a vga monitor so I can compare the look before choosing a particular color.

Thanks,
-D

tommy

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 06:51:10 pm »
Bump  :cheers:

MameJunkie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2009, 08:23:45 pm
  • Eeeeeeeevil
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 12:32:52 pm »
Interested....waiting for pics...
Teamwork - A group of people running around doing what I say.

More Cowbell

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2017, 02:33:49 pm
  • That's just dumb!
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 01:14:37 pm »
Interested....waiting for pics...

What he said.
I've got a fever...

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 01:16:02 pm »
I'm not sure why you're offering bronze. That distorts color with a slightly brownish/yellowish color. Should only be clear and grey. (And then people here won't be confused as to "how it looks").

NO MORE!!

tommy

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 09:23:42 pm »
Still working on getting pics guys, sorry for the delay.

RayB i think more color shade options is a good thing in choosing glass for many different project cabs.

tommy

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2006, 05:32:11 am »
I couldn't get any pics with the glass infront of a monitor, hopefully these can give you an idea of how grey and bronze look.

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2006, 02:51:18 pm »
Hey, plan on selling these for a while?  I need to get some glass at some point, but I wont be ready for a few months.

MameJunkie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2009, 08:23:45 pm
  • Eeeeeeeevil
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2006, 05:35:43 pm »
BTW...what is the normal thickness of the glass?
1/4" like this?  I also see 3/16".

Teamwork - A group of people running around doing what I say.

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2006, 07:47:57 pm »
I'm not sure why you're offering bronze. That distorts color with a slightly brownish/yellowish color. Should only be clear and grey. (And then people here won't be confused as to "how it looks").

So what do the games look like through the bronze?...I think I might like a piece of that as I think it could go nice with my knotty pine cabinet.

So it is $60 total with shipping in the US? How much do you think I would pay for this or something similar locally?
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

tommy

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2006, 07:55:14 pm »
Hey, plan on selling these for a while?  I need to get some glass at some point, but I wont be ready for a few months.

I'll be here and still selling glass when you need it. This thread may end up not being on the first page though, unless it keeps getting bumped or considered a worthy thread to be "stuck" at the top.

So what do the games look like through the bronze?...I think I might like a piece of that as I think it could go nice with my knotty pine cabinet.

So it is $60 total with shipping in the US? How much do you think I would pay for this or something similar locally?

The bronze glass may seem abit strange to you when you first see it and install it in your cab, as grey glass can.

After having it for awhile you won't even notice any on-screen difference. The bronze won't over power the monitor and won't make games look all bronze. All it does is give you a color choice when your cab paint colors won't really look good with a grey tint monitor glass. If you have an orange cab, bronze glass would look alot better then using grey, it's all hard to say and comes down to your opionon and likes.

I'm not sure what glass costs in other states. Check out your local glass prices and if my glass costs less order it. I think even with an extra $20.00 shipping my glass offered is still cheaper and i will cut it to the exact size you need.

Most glass shops when you go in and buy glass you can take it home and find scratches, i send my glass out as perfect as i can as if it was for me.

Donkey_Kong

• Offline Offline
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2006, 02:16:26 am »
Well because you are on byoac i would rather buy from you without having to go to my local glass shop. I'm curious about the bronze for my project. I'm gonna send you a pic later and you tell me if you think it would be good or not.

Thanks for the reply!!

DK
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

Donkey_Kong

• Offline Offline
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2006, 12:26:33 pm »
Tommy-

My whole project seems kinda bronzish so far...Would bronze glass be too much bronze or would it be cool?

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2006, 12:40:15 pm »

Give him a few numbers of glass shops in your area so he can make a few calls ::)

I know you said you don't want to do tempered glass, but is this single or double strength glass?

Also, the edges, are they rounded after sanding, or straight?  The sanding gives it that somewhat-frosted look, right?  Obviously it should be hidden by the sides/bottom/top of someone's cab so it shouldn't make a bit of difference, I'm just wondering, since that frosted look has a bit of "grip" to it.

Lastly, how are you gonna ship this?  Breakage seems like it'd be a serious problem.  This is the question I think is MOST important.  Doesn't make sense to worry about the color of broken glass, right?  ;)  And what's going to be your policy on breakage?  (I'd suggest requiring a photo if you're gonna do refunds/replacements)
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

Donkey_Kong

• Offline Offline
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2006, 01:53:55 pm »
Quote from: Donkey_Kong on November 07, 2006, 07:47:57 PM

Give him a few numbers of glass shops in your area so he can make a few calls

I know this question seemed a bit retarded but in my defense I must say this...It would be nice to get a comparison price since one of the claims here is that Tommy's glass is a great deal. I just assumed he might know then what a typical glass shop in the US would charge for something similar. I might be a heck of alot more inclined to snatch a piece of this from Tommy if he were to come on here and say something like..."You could expect to pay around $75-$80 at your local glass shop" I being the gullible sucker that I am would probably click the buy button without even checking with the glass dude down the road. I'm building an arcade machine, I would rather not even talk to a "glass guy" if I don't have to. I would MUCH rather chat with a fellow cab builder/glass dude anyday.

I'm also assuming Tommy would have shipping arraingments worked out before offering this. But yea, the UPS man will kick the crap out of that box all the way to my doorstep!! We all know that is true!! I would still be willing to take the chance.

tommy

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2006, 05:42:04 pm »
If any glass arrives broken just have it sent back at no charge to you and i will replace it for free. I have the glass i send insured. Unfortunately time will be wasted in the event of broken glass but it will not cost you anymore.

tommy

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2006, 08:18:27 pm »

I know you said you don't want to do tempered glass, but is this single or double strength glass?

Also, the edges, are they rounded after sanding, or straight?  The sanding gives it that somewhat-frosted look, right?  Obviously it should be hidden by the sides/bottom/top of someone's cab so it shouldn't make a bit of difference, I'm just wondering, since that frosted look has a bit of "grip" to it.

Single strength glass is 1/16 thick, double strength is 1/8 thick, like i said I'm offering 1/4 thick glass.

The edges are kinda rounded but not enough to really mention. The sanding of the edge does kinda give it somewhat of a frosted look on the edge but i wouldn't say it's grippy. I use a pretty fine sand paper on the edge so to answer your question.. it's not a clear perfect machined edge but it does fit the application well.

Give him a few numbers of glass shops in your area so he can make a few calls ::)

That's pretty damn funny drew.  ;D  :cheers:

tommy

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2006, 09:53:15 pm »
For all those interested in buying glass from me you might be interested to know, i just found out my first glass order did arrive broken unfortunately, i will be sending a new glass piece out at no charge to the buyer.

I do know what it feels like to get cheated and or robbed after paying hard earned money on something and have someone not care or not make good on a deal, anyone who buys glass will get what they pay for or if for some odd reason the shipping carrier cannot get it there safe will get a refund even if i have to take a loss.

Donkey_Kong

• Offline Offline
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2006, 03:12:37 pm »

That's pretty damn funny drew.  ;D  :cheers:

Yea, I'm an idiot...You can say it!! :laugh2:  :cheers:  :dizzy:
Warning To All: User might not be as clever as avatar may suggest!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 06:08:18 pm by Donkey_Kong »

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2006, 12:45:53 pm »
Refusal to have it tempered + first orders broken = I hope you realize now you should only deal in tempered. Especially if it's going to be SHIPPED somewhere.
NO MORE!!

tommy

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2006, 03:23:31 pm »
Refusal to have it tempered + first orders broken = I hope you realize now you should only deal in tempered. Especially if it's going to be SHIPPED somewhere.

Tempered does not mean it will stay in one piece, it only means that the broken pieces will be smaller.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2006, 03:31:31 pm »

Tempered glass is 4x to 6x stronger.  Far less likely to break.

tommy

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2006, 04:03:28 pm »
I really don't want to argue with you here chad, tempered glass is actually weaker and can break easier if the corner is hit the wrong way. A piece of non tempered glass can withstand a hit to the corner and only chip while the tempered piece will burst.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline

tommy

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2006, 04:42:45 pm »
Tempered does add to the strength of the glass in certain situations... but it is mostly a safety issue.

If i'm going to install a big piece of glass for a storefront, it is more safe for it to be tempered and is the law in many if not all states. The main point of it being tempered is so the business who has the glass in-front of their store is not responsible for harming anyone near the glass and to avoid lawsuits.

Tempered glass breaks into very small pieces compared to non-tempered that can break into unexpected large shards that can end up really causing damage to the skin.

While tempering the size glass i offer is a good idea, (can't hurt) but is not really necessary, it can be broken unexpectedly and not hold together as glass not tempered would. If i tap the corner of the non-tempered glass while installing it most likely the edge will just chip off slightly and can still be used, if i tap the tempered glass while installing it most likely if will burst into a thousand pieces.

In a sense it is stronger but in the same sentence it is weaker, Depends on where the glass takes damage from.

On another note, tempered glass can even break unexpectedly at anytime even without anything coming into contact with it, either from temperature fluctuations or a bad temper job that cannot be detected.

I can't tell you how many homes i've been in that needed sliding glass door/patio door glass replaced after the homeowner said "i was just sitting here and it shattered".

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2006, 04:50:04 pm »

Those people are probably lying because they don't want to admit their tripping son ran into it.

tommy

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2006, 11:31:35 pm »

Those people are probably lying because they don't want to admit their tripping son ran into it.

Oh chad, i really had a hard time not commenting on that ignorant post.

Please try to not post here anymore unless you intend to buy glass. Please!

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2006, 12:17:14 pm »
Tommy, your examples of what can cause tempered glass to break are not applicable here. We're talking sudden temperature changes of a pane of glass within a frame. There are lots of factors working against the glass here. First of all there is the pressure on all sides of the frame the glass is mounted in. Couple that with quick cold->hot->cold changes in temperature and the resulting forces on the glass can cause it to shatter.

But I fail to see how that applies to a single sheet that is not mounted in a frame. In this case you benefit from the "5 to 10x stronger" characteristic. The fact that it breaks into squares is not it's only advantage. It's the strength of it during shipping that should matter.

Eventually, you'll find that the cost of replacing panes lost to breakage will be the same or more than the cost of having it tempered in the first place.

I'll shut up now, as you probably don't want my 2 cents in here anymore either.  ;) Just please let us know when you reach that cost threshold so I can say "I told you so". OR if you never do, let me know anyways. I'll buy you a virtual beer.  ;D
NO MORE!!

KDOG

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2020, 03:08:26 pm
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2006, 12:41:08 pm »
from the same wiki link
Toughened glass is typically four to six times the strength of annealed glass and withstands heating in your microwave oven. However, this strength comes with a penalty. Due to the balanced stresses in the glass, damage to the glass will eventually result in the glass shattering into thumbnail sized pieces.

The glass is most susceptible to breakage due to damage to the edge of the glass where the tensile stress is the greatest, but shattering can also occur in the event of a hard impact in the middle of the glass pane. Shattering may not happen when the damage originally occurs and can be triggered by a minor stress like heat or small drop that would not normally affect the toughened glass. If any toughened glass shows any damage it must be replaced.

More Cowbell

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2017, 02:33:49 pm
  • That's just dumb!
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2006, 04:02:51 pm »
Let me know when you start dealing solely in bullet proof glass, it's the only way to build a real arcade cabinet.  ::)

Tommy, If I buy two pieces, can you combine shipping?
I've got a fever...

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2006, 04:05:27 pm »

Kdog, yes, you can shatter tempered glass by hitting it in the center.  Regular glass is like that too.

They use tempered glass on pinball machines, vending machines, and jukes.  Probably for a reason.

tommy

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2006, 10:34:30 pm »
Let me know when you start dealing solely in bullet proof glass, it's the only way to build a real arcade cabinet.  ::)

Tommy, If I buy two pieces, can you combine shipping?

Yes, like i said in the pm, just add $5 for the added weight.

RayB and whoever feel free to post and ask questions or make comments (not that i need to give you permission), i just didn't want chad or anyone to turn this into a politics section type discussion as i felt it might be leading that way.

As for the tempered and not tempered argument, i think we can go around for hours debating what, how and why it is a good idea or not a good idea to have it either way. It can be said because i do not want to temper the glass i offer i am all for not tempering the glass for that reason.

Honestly, when it comes down to glass this size nothing is going to stop it from breaking if you make it break.