Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Complete Control Panel Layout Not On CD  (Read 13798 times)

cadis12

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2014, 12:43:05 pm
    • My machine
Complete Control Panel Layout Not On CD
« on: October 22, 2006, 08:20:58 pm »
I have been using the book and am at the point of building my Control Panel.  Am I missing something?  I want to use the Control Panel layout that is described in the book but it is not on the CD.  There are templates for the buttons, joysticks, trackballs and such.  There is even a blank control panel layout.  How come there is not the layout in the book that I can just print out and use?  Am I missing something or should I just start creating my own?

Great book!

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
Re: Complete Control Panel Layout Not On CD
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 08:52:47 pm »
I'm at the same point.  I'm starting to work on my CP using the book.  I wanted to use the layout in the book as my starting point and noticed that it wasn't available.  Is this out there anywhere?
 ???
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 09:34:18 pm »
It is on the cd, but its not in the same chapter as the rest of the templates (don't remember which chapter off the top of my head).  Heres a link to a project thread that helped me a lot when building my first cab, he used the exact template from the book/cd and ran into a couple of issues:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=41086.0

Its not difficult just taking all the individual template pieces (in chapter 6 I think) and making your own CP layout.  Thats how I made my control panels.

lilspanisheddie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2008, 03:21:02 pm
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 08:46:55 am »
I would really like to have the full template as well. I have gone through the entire CD and can not find it.  Are we overlooking something?  There is a jpg of the complete layout but it is not to scale.  I noticed that the mars invader cabinet you linked has the large template.  Can anyone post that?

layoric

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2008, 02:23:39 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 01:40:51 pm »
Just use a freeware CAD program. Set the page properties to the same as your panel. Then set the dimensions to inches (I don't do metric). Create your objects, which can be as easy as squares for joysticks and circles for buttons/trackballs - basing your sizes on specs from the vendors. I'm using Solid Edge 2d drafting, which is freeware.

If you have the access, you could also send the file (exported probably as PDF) to a printer who has a large format printer, and voila, you have a true to scale printed template you could just tape to your panel! I was going to do that for my cabinet, but instead just cut out stuff based on dimensions. Probably should have though, hard to figure angles by hand (but the program will do it for you)...

- Kirk