Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: nLited XP installs for a cab  (Read 248440 times)

spystyle

• Thanks alot, now I have to build a time machine and warn myself yesterday!
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2021, 02:30:18 pm
Re: nLited XP installs for a cab
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2007, 04:14:36 pm »
OK, the file is ready.

The 2 MB file is here:

http://tinyurl.com/2r3x2o

I haven't tested the file yet but I plan on it, apparently you can embed regular or Nlite'd XP. I will try to embed TinyXP with these files.

The package is completely self contained, with all files needed from the XPe trial and instructions. Also alternate instructions, boot floppy and boot CD image. If you can read - you can embed XP.

(assuming everything is working)

-----------------------------------------

The instructions talk about running embedded XP off of a CF card. I have done some speed testing with "thumb drives" against regular hard drives and let me tell you - hard drives are much much faster.

If you happen to be running an old P2 or P3 with an Intel mainboard try installing "Intel application accelerator" - for Intel boards it can speed up hard drive access times by 300%

So, if you are crying about XP boot time, and boot your cab (or PC) with your breath held - stay far far away from thumbdrives and CF media.

-----------------------------------------

Also, if you want to test different operating systems with building a bunch of computers, you can test them virtually on your PC with Microsoft Virtual PC 2004, it's free:

http://tinyurl.com/2jr7a7

I use it all the time.

If you need to find of operating systems to test, like TinyXP, Google up 'utorrent' and '---No torrents please - thanks!---' (separately)

Cheers,
Craig
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 04:22:12 pm by spystyle »

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2007, 07:31:53 pm »

The instructions talk about running embedded XP off of a CF card. I have done some speed testing with "thumb drives" against regular hard drives and let me tell you - hard drives are much much faster.

Yeah, that link I gave was for running a Car PC, where hard drives would be subject to FAR more abuse and would tend to shorten the life of the drive, whereas the CF card, having no moving parts, would/could easily justify its use, especially since the boot time is less important than hardware durability in a car PC.

I dunno why it struck me all of a sudden, but on a second read-through of your post it dawned on me that I had read something about that in the past and needed to sift through my bookmarks. 

MAMEOS - the next frontier ;D
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

spystyle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2007, 08:34:25 pm »
Truly, for a car PC "thumb drives" are excellent. But for MAME cabinets I think a conventional HDD is the best way to go (inexpensive and fast).

Happy gaming :)
Craig

spystyle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2007, 09:56:34 pm »
I have a 2.0ghz P4, 256mb Ram and and a 20gb HDD and have just installed Tiny XP "Beast Edition". I am very happy with the performance of the PC and now with Mala installed and a complete set of Mame v.106 I am ready to go. I have also used bootskin and TweakUI for a few things and the PC boots up to Mala in 30 seconds.....that's not too bad I guess. Any ideas on squeezing it a bit more??

Cheers,

Simon.

Hey Simon,

You've got it to 30 seconds and would like to squeeze it a little more huh?

Try just swapping Winlogon with Minlogon and tell me if it makes a difference, use the attached file (readme included).

Cheers,
Craig

--------------

everyone : the attached file should make any XP installation boot faster, give it a go on a "non critical" PC and tell me what you think.

This is just the first part of the embedding procedure seen above, but only takes a minute. It's said to increase boot speed because Winlogon performs so many tasks and Minlogon just boots as a user named "system".

If you are going to make modifications to your home PC always make backups of your irreplaceable data onto good quality DVD-r first.

On the topic of backups, make monthly backups! Hard drives are not considered a reliable means of permanent data storage. Some day you will thank me for this tip.

p.s. This file didn't work for me on a modified Win2K, I think it's not 2K compatible.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 11:54:55 pm by spystyle »

spystyle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #124 on: August 15, 2007, 08:49:42 pm »
Hey! I am about to install TinyXP on a friend's computer so I will test out that "Minlogon" on it. (I had previously only tested it in VirtualPC)

So I am installing Tiny and I decided to check and see which version is the most recent, here are my findings:

(This is also handy to illustrate that "Final" is actually first and "Rev05" is last)

--------------------------------
eXPerience "TinyXP" release dates:

Build, day, month, year

Final 18.11.2005
Rev01 01.01.2006
Rev02 28.01.2006
Rev03 30.03.2006
Beast 06.06.2006
Rev05 06.08.2006

TinyXP Platinum Edition 2 - 17.06.07
MicroXP v0.6b - 04.07.07
TinyXP Vista Edition - 30.07.2006
XP Ultimate Edition - 02.10.2006
Mini-XP SP2 Unattended - 14.11.2005
Tiny XP SP2 Unattended - 16.11.2005
TinyXP "FINAL" - 18.11.05
TinyXP Platinum Edition - 27.12.05

--------------------------------

The author recently released a version called "MicoXP". It was released a year after "TinyXP". I've read about it and it looks unsuitable for the average home PC (I would use "Beast" with "Bashrat's driver packs") but very suitable for a MAME PC. You can read about it via this Google link:

http://tinyurl.com/23982u

-------------------------------
On the topic of torrent clinets : Utorrent, the best client, has been bought by the MPAA!!! Version 1.6.1 was the last "safe" version, so uninstall any newer versions, install 1.6.1, go to "preferences" and disable updating. (I also make "Utorrent.exe" read-only hoping it won't update itself)

Cheers,
Craig
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 08:15:41 am by spystyle »

spystyle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: August 20, 2007, 08:43:56 am »
OK, I did the "startup times" test. I did not have a stop watch so I used an analogue clock (with a "seconds" hand)

24 seconds - from the moment I pressed the computer's power button from the time that the "hourglass" dissapears from the desktop.

17 seconds after "minlogon" trick.

Well, that's that. "Beast" is already really fast, but I suspect this could help a regular XP install allot.

Cheers,
Craig

p.s. You know - running MSconfig and disabling everything on the startup tab can help speed up Windows boot too. All the programs that start with Windows (usually unncessarily) really slow things down.

To run MSconfig, click >start > run, and type "msconfig" (without quotes) then go to "startup tab". You can disable everything, though I would leave "antivirus stuff" alone if the PC is connected to the internet.

spystyle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #126 on: August 20, 2007, 01:51:15 pm »
Hey! I just found out that Micro$oft made a "TinyXP" of their own! It's called "Windows fundamentals for legacy PCs" aka "Windows FLP"

Read about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Fundamentals_for_Legacy_PCs

Apparently it's made for corporations who want to upgrade from "Windows 98" but can't afford to update their hardware. It could be thought of as "Windows XP for old computers". But how does it compare to "TinyXP Beast"?

I benchmarked them against each other on a P4 2.8 ghz Dell server. They scored almost exactly the same using "performance test" benchmarking software. (250 points for Beast and 248 points for WinFLP)

Windows FLP is not compatible with Bashrat's driverpacks, so you'll have to hunt down drivers (bummer). Also, when you first install it you have to mess with the user accounts (change administrator's password to blank) and disable Windows security alerts:

start > run > services.msc > Security Center... doubleclick... Startup type: "Disabled"

Also change the "virtual memory" to (1.5X actual RAM) min, and (3x actual RAM) max.

Lastly, it is missing "MSconfig.exe" so you'll have to download it off the 'net and drop it into the "windows" folder. (then you can type msconfig into the run box and edit what starts with windows)

All of the above is already done on "Beast"

But it's interesting anyway, M$ releases it's own TinyXP! I think it's in keeping with the theme of this thread. Most interesting to me is the fact that you can choose to not install Internet Explorer! I never would have thought that M$ would let that go!

Cheers,
Craig
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 12:28:00 pm by saint »

gonzo90017

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2019, 02:41:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #127 on: August 20, 2007, 04:07:40 pm »
But 576mb! That's one big iso.

spystyle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #128 on: August 20, 2007, 05:13:36 pm »
The one I got was from Demoniod weighed in at 679 MB

I'm sure all but 200 MB can be stripped, but that's not my area of expertise.

Anyway, download it overnight using DSL and it's no big deal.

I still think "Beast" with driverpacks is the best OS. But for "mission critical" PC I would stick to "2K SP4" (with driverpacks also) not as fast, but think of it like a tank. Tanks die hard.

Yet for an arcade computer strip that OS to the bone! eXPerience can do it! See all his stuff here: iffy link removed

I've read on eXPerience's forum* that his version of 2003 is so blazing fast. It's kernal is one newer than "Windows XP" and apparently "2003 server" sells for $3000. I didn't see a big difference in benchmarks but they say everything loads much faster. If you are into testing stuff - see if you get higher MAME framerates with it. You can read about it here:

http://tinyurl.com/2zpkf6

By the way, if you haven't checked out driverpacks yet they are a dream come true. You set up a directory containing all of the drivers on the planet, copy your Windows CD to the hard drive (or unzip your ISO) then inject all the drivers into it. The new CD has every driver on Earth! This makes hunting for drivers a thing of the past (I won't miss that!) ask any tech - hunting for drivers is the misery of our existence. (Also AOL)

http://driverpacks.net/

Cheers,
Craig

http://www.retestrak.nl/board/index.php
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 12:30:28 pm by saint »

gonzo90017

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #129 on: August 20, 2007, 05:51:56 pm »
I've made a few versions with Nlite. My latest one didn't turn out too bad. You can try it if you want if you have Nlite installed. I posted my Last Session.ini I've deleted many services and disabled others. Let me know how it turns out. It's for Emulators only no printer, no networking. Well you get the idea. :laugh:

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #130 on: August 20, 2007, 08:12:13 pm »
Hey! I just found out that Micro$oft made a "TinyXP" of their own! It's called "Windows fundamentals for legacy PCs" aka "Windows FLP"

Read about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Fundamentals_for_Legacy_PCs

Apparently it's made for corporations who want to upgrade from "Windows 98" but can't afford to update their hardware. It could be thought of as "Windows XP for old computers". But how does it compare to "TinyXP Beast"?

I benchmarked them against each other on a P4 2.8 ghz Dell server. They scored almost exactly the same using "performance test" benchmarking software. (250 points for Beast and 248 points for WinFLP)

Windows FLP is not compatible with Bashrat's driverpacks, so you'll have to hunt down drivers (bummer). Also, when you first install it you have to mess with the user accounts (change administrator's password to blank) and disable Windows security alerts:

start > run > services.msc > Security Center... doubleclick... Startup type: "Disabled"

Also change the "virtual memory" to (1.5X actual RAM) min, and (3x actual RAM) max.

Lastly, it is missing "MSconfig.exe" so you'll have to download it off the 'net and drop it into the "windows" folder. (then you can type msconfig into the run box and edit what starts with windows)

All of the above is already done on "Beast"

But it's interesting anyway, M$ releases it's own TinyXP! I think it's in keeping with the theme of this thread. Most interesting to me is the fact that you can choose to not install Internet Explorer! I never would have thought that M$ would let that go!

Cheers,
Craig

I snagged this version a while ago for some reason, but I never really looked into it.  The one reason I'm assuming they allow non-installation of IE is that XP uses a newer version of IE that more than likely wouldn't work with the older video cards that would probably be in such machines.  They won't even let you connect to the 'net to download the thing if your screen res doesn't meet minimum specs, IIRC.

For anyone considering it, nLite allows the complete removal of IE as well, and also breaks it out even further - you can choose to leave the IE core installed, in case some program requires it (I think there might have been an emulator or front end that required at least the core in order to work properly).  Standard MAME doesn't require it at all.

It also appears that in taking a look recently, you can also slipstream your MAME setup into your installation disc with nLite or RunOnceEx (see the MSFN forums for exactly how you might go about doing such a thing).  What this'd mean is that you'd have one disc (or DVD, or perhaps DVD sets - yes, it's possible) for install, and you just pop the disc(s) in when prompted, and let your PC chew on 'em for a while.  When it's all done, your entire system can be already set up with MAME and the programs you desire.  I'm not certain how well some registry tweaks can be integrated, but it appears that you can even customize your install disc to the extent that you have all the startup and login screens hidden (see the wiki to see what's possible to make your MAME system hide all traces of Windows!) and whatnot.

I've been slowly refining a disc for personal use - I think it came up in the past, so either here's a reminder, or a first-time tip:  Find and install a Virtual Machine to use as a "sandbox" or "test bed" for your nLite'd ISO's.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 12:31:01 pm by saint »

spystyle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #131 on: August 20, 2007, 08:18:36 pm »
That sounds like allot of work. I will leave all that work to you - and you can upload it to ---No torrents please - thanks!--- for the rest of us when you are done. Good?

Thank you!
Craig

p.s. As he wrote, test your ISOs "virtually" to save time and disks. M$ Virtual PC 2004 and 2007 are free:

http://tinyurl.com/2jr7a7

If your OS doesn't support 2007, try 2004.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 08:21:31 pm by spystyle »

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2007, 08:44:53 pm »
That sounds like allot of work. I will leave all that work to you - and you can upload it to ---No torrents please - thanks!--- for the rest of us when you are done. Good?

Thank you!
Craig

;D

Much like all the rest of these "builds", there's no "magic ISO".  I AM thinking of doing a writeup on how to have it dump files (roms, artwork, flyers, sound, etc) onto your PC in the proper place, but I can't distribute MAME, so that part of the writeup will have to be a tute in how to slipstream your own version into your install disc.

spystyle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: August 20, 2007, 08:57:09 pm »
Awww, you're no fun...

Oh well. It really only takes a few minutes to install MAME anyway.

I'll keep doing it the hard way, it builds character!

RXII

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2014, 07:45:51 pm
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
« Reply #134 on: August 22, 2007, 03:23:46 pm »
I have a 2.0ghz P4, 256mb Ram and and a 20gb HDD and have just installed Tiny XP "Beast Edition". I am very happy with the performance of the PC and now with Mala installed and a complete set of Mame v.106 I am ready to go. I have also used bootskin and TweakUI for a few things and the PC boots up to Mala in 30 seconds.....that's not too bad I guess. Any ideas on squeezing it a bit more??

Cheers,

Simon.

Hey Simon,

You've got it to 30 seconds and would like to squeeze it a little more huh?

Try just swapping Winlogon with Minlogon and tell me if it makes a difference, use the attached file (readme included).

Cheers,
Craig

--------------

everyone : the attached file should make any XP installation boot faster, give it a go on a "non critical" PC and tell me what you think.

This is just the first part of the embedding procedure seen above, but only takes a minute. It's said to increase boot speed because Winlogon performs so many tasks and Minlogon just boots as a user named "system".

If you are going to make modifications to your home PC always make backups of your irreplaceable data onto good quality DVD-r first.

On the topic of backups, make monthly backups! Hard drives are not considered a reliable means of permanent data storage. Some day you will thank me for this tip.

p.s. This file didn't work for me on a modified Win2K, I think it's not 2K compatible.

Hi Craig,
             Sorry I haven't gotten back to you, I haven't checked this thread for a while. I will let you know how I get on with this......thank you very much.

Simon
Operation Aussie Lowboy http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=68962.0
Soon I may actually be able to play it!

spystyle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: August 22, 2007, 04:27:23 pm »
Howdy Simon, as seen above a few posts, I tested this and it didn't kill my computer.

But back up your irreplaceable family photos first, just in case.

It should bring your boot time down to 17 seconds.

Cheers,
Craig

RXII

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2014, 07:45:51 pm
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
« Reply #136 on: August 23, 2007, 01:51:38 pm »
Hi Craig,
             I tried the 'Minilogon' and it worked great. It cut down the time from when I hit the power button to when Mala's gamelist is displayed by about 12 seconds. It booted up in 17 seconds! The only problem I came across is when I exit out of Mala it is suppose to exit to explorer, but it flashes up explorer briefly and then boots straight back into Mala??? Not sure what the go is there. I put it back to how it was for now while I am still setting up the arcade PC. But I can definately say that it works!

Cheers,

Simon.
Operation Aussie Lowboy http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=68962.0
Soon I may actually be able to play it!

spystyle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: August 23, 2007, 08:07:11 pm »
Mala is weird upon exit!

I have Mala running on my brother-in-law's cab, and I have a hacked powerstrip, so to power off everything in the cab simply press the (extended) ATX power button. (The button found on the front of the PC case)

It works with MAME32 but with Mala I have to exit the FE first, then power off with the ATX button.

In other words - Mala prevents soft off via the computer's power button! Weird huh?

So I am not surprised to hear that you have trouble with Mala upon exit.

I wonder if there is a fix for that. It's like Mala has a very aggressive program priority routine (I'm not sure what to call it)

I can't think of any other programs like that. Normally you van shut down windows regardless of what programs are running.

But Mala is the king of all FE's. I like to couple it with FastMAME.

I like MAME32 because it is so very "user friendly" - but for the savvy you may as well use Mala.

http://mala.arcadezentrum.com/

Good luck!
Craig

tikbalang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 07, 2013, 05:04:54 pm
    • MAME BootCD's for DOS
« Reply #138 on: September 05, 2007, 11:17:57 am »
there's an even slimmer version of windows called XSOS v2.0 (tim konings repack). it is a stripped down version of windows 2000. on a p3 1ghz/128mb it boots in 20 seconds, longer if network card is attached. memory footprint is 40mb, about 150mb for disk space. google says there's a version 2.02 and a usb version. iirc, only 4 services were started.

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2018, 12:32:23 am
    • ARTIFACT - my scratch designed & built arcade cabinet
« Reply #139 on: September 05, 2007, 05:08:31 pm »
In other words - Mala prevents soft off via the computer's power button! Weird huh?

So I am not surprised to hear that you have trouble with Mala upon exit.

It works fine here. I don't have my smart strip yet BUT I do have an extended ATX power button and windows does power off gracefully when I press it.

spystyle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #140 on: September 05, 2007, 08:52:48 pm »
Maybe that issue was fixed since I tried (last year?)

Or maybe we are using two different OS. I'll have to try again and see.

Cheers,
Craig

Encryptor

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 08:01:18 pm
« Reply #141 on: October 03, 2007, 09:36:44 pm »
I'm runnning Tiny XP on my cab. I'm having a problem getting the screen saver to work. I think it's because it was taken out of this version of tiny xp.

Is there a registry tweak or anything that can be used to put screen savers back?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Encryptor

spystyle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #142 on: October 04, 2007, 08:53:47 am »
I tried putting printing back into TinyXP Beast, files and registry, it finally appeared as a service but did not work.

I don't think there is any easy way to put stuff back into TinyXP

I switched to using "TinyXP (final) rev 2" which did have printer support.

Cheers,
Craig

p.s. Screen saver? On an arcade machine? That's what "attract mode" is for.

Encryptor

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 08:01:18 pm
« Reply #143 on: October 04, 2007, 09:16:37 am »
Yeah I'm trying to get the screen saver in MaLa to work. I'm thinking the screen saver disabled in TinyXP might have something to do with that. Thanks.

Encryptor

Lakersfan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2024, 12:16:07 am
« Reply #144 on: December 19, 2007, 01:31:01 pm »
Hey guys,
I'm running TinyXP Rev05 and it's unbelievable how quickly it loads! However, I have a few key questions which will result in either me keeping it or reformatting to an XP version that'll work.

1. I'm using the U360's ... however when I plug in the joysticks, the drivers won't load so I assume they were uninstalled in this build. Any solutions?

2. Did you ever get the screensaver to work in Mala?

3. Does anyone have the last session.ini for TinyXP rev5 so I can add those couple things back in and keep everything else the same?

Thanks all!!!!!!

LF

gonzo90017

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #145 on: December 19, 2007, 02:45:44 pm »
You can try the one I posted, a couple of posts back. It's for a version I made using Nlite.

Lakersfan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #146 on: December 19, 2007, 03:45:07 pm »
Thanks gonzo. Did you leave the joystick drivers on and do the screensavers work? Just curious before I start messing with things. Oh, and also if I want to add a wireless network, I can just use the drivers that came with it and I don't need to add anything back into you last session file, correct?

gonzo90017

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #147 on: December 19, 2007, 04:23:21 pm »
It's a big no for the wireless network, sorry.

Lakersfan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #148 on: December 19, 2007, 04:31:50 pm »
No need to apologize. I'll figure it out!

Lakersfan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #149 on: December 19, 2007, 04:43:12 pm »
Just to clarify: By wireless network I meant adding a wireless adapter so I can access by cab from my desktop PC using RealVNC.

gonzo90017

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #150 on: December 19, 2007, 06:27:47 pm »
Ya I know what you meant. The reason is that I deleted everything having to do with networking.

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #151 on: December 22, 2007, 10:47:46 pm »
Just to clarify: By wireless network I meant adding a wireless adapter so I can access by cab from my desktop PC using RealVNC.

Your adapter can physically be attached to your PC, but without any networking component, it's as useless as tits on a bull.  You'll also need the Wireless Zero (IIRC, that's the service) service enabled if you can add the networking components back in.  Just so's you don't end up pulling your hair out ;D

spystyle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #152 on: February 03, 2008, 04:11:40 pm »
OK, I'm late to the game but have started messing with Nlite.

While it would have been much easier to simply use a version of TinyXP, I think the author removes too many drivers. His releases can't be tested in Virtual PC 2004 because those drivers are missing. Also I want to integrate "Minlogon" and "SP3". In my benchmarks I found that SP3 is faster than SP2, also I can imagine it adds lots of hardware support that is good for installing XP on newer machines. I like to add Bashrat's driverpacks too.

While testing an Nlite build in Virtual PC 2004, I discovered that Virtual PC 2004 does not support Direct3D. So for the newer MAME's that use direct3D you have to tell it to use GDI instead.

Also Minlogon can be slipstreamed via Nlite as a "hotfix".

Here is the Minlogon manual package (for existing installations):

http://tinyurl.com/3ytuwc

Here is the Minlogon "hotfix" package (for slipstreaming with Nlite)**:

http://tinyurl.com/2kkdmu

Minlogon is truly fantastic for a MAME cab! It's so fast and no "log in" required.

Cheers,
Craig

** Windows File Protection must be disabled in Nlite for that to work. This is found in Nlite under "options / patches"
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 02:55:59 pm by spystyle »

gonzo90017

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #153 on: February 05, 2008, 12:57:35 pm »
Thank you for the files.  Anyways has sp3 been officially released?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 01:13:00 pm by gonzo90017 »

spystyle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #154 on: February 05, 2008, 03:04:51 pm »
I think SP3 is still beta, but I have installed it on several new PCs (rescuing them for suXy Vista)

It can be downloaded here:

http://tinyurl.com/2ak5v7

alt:

http://tinyurl.com/2dkzou

In my benchmark tests it was faster than SP2.

Cheers,
Craig

spystyle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #155 on: February 05, 2008, 05:47:01 pm »

Here is the Minlogon "hotfix" package (for slipstreaming with Nlite)**:

http://tinyurl.com/2kkdmu

oops, I messed up on that, but I have re-uploaded it.

What you get should not be cab compressed. I tested the new version and it works.

Minlogon rocks!!!!

Cheers,
Craig

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #156 on: February 05, 2008, 07:27:45 pm »
So what exactly does this minlogon do? Just speed up the boot process? What do you do with the manual package?

Also I thought I read, but now it's gone, that you were thinking about incorporating Mala and something else into Nlite. What going on with that?
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

spystyle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #157 on: February 05, 2008, 11:22:59 pm »
What does MinLogon do? It makes Windows XP start up much faster! It's radical :)

The manual install comes with instructions.

As for Mala - I had a long post before where I mentioned that but it boring so I deleted it. I mentioned that I had the idea to make a stripped out XP that can only run MAME, MAME32, and MALA. "Bare essentials" and all that. I also listed all of their dependency files, but I was not able to cross-reference that with Nlite "removables".

As for Nlite:

I have made an Nlite'd XP I like very much!

It has SP3 and Minlogon integrated, only 6 services running, DirectX installs, and MAME32 runs. It uses only 51.08 MB RAM (out of 256 MB) - that's acceptable as far as I'm concerned - only a 64 MB DIMM is lost to the OS. The entire Windows CD, before I add driverpacks, is only 130 MB. The "Windows" directory is only 336 MB. and the PF use is about 30 MB.

Though it is stripped so much I am having trouble getting the driverpacks to install. Also taskman won't work so I have to use a 3rd party app.

Otherwise it is really sleek. I have attached my lastsession.ini if anyone cares to look at it.

What are the specs on the Nlite installs you guys are making?

Cheers,
Craig

« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 11:33:09 pm by spystyle »

gonzo90017

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #158 on: February 06, 2008, 12:04:30 am »
If you're using it strictly for mame, wouldn't it be better to leave any service packs out? My Last Session.ini is posted on one of the previous posts. All works well even Task Manager. Only thing is you have to make all the registry changes manually for auto logon since TweakXP won't work on it. It also has around 4-6 services running. No sp's whatsoever. Haven't done much benchmarking but it's running Mamewah on a 400mhz pc with 256mb.

spystyle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: February 06, 2008, 08:38:29 am »
I have the idea that service pack 3 increases hardware compatibility for newer PCs, also speed and stability. If you think about it - XP without any service packs is old (2001) and they've had time to work out the bugs.

Just think of all the hardware that has gone mainstream since XP's first release, dual core CPU, 2 GB RAM is now the norm, SATA, ect. But if you are using a low tech computer I'm sure SP0 would be fine.

In my benchmarks I found that SP3 was faster than SP2, so that's what caught my attention initially.

As for taskman and tweakxp - they probably just need their dependencies to work. To discover a program's dependencies examine it's EXE in "Dependency Walker" - then verify those dependency files exists in the "Windows directory", if they do not, add them to the program's directory first and see if that works. If it does not you can register them with regsvr32.exe .

I'll use that to get taskman working when I have some time.

Cheers,
Craig