Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Control Panel Database: Post a picture of your Control Panel!  (Read 753107 times)

gonzo90017

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2019, 02:41:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Control Panel Database: Post a picture of your Control Panel!
« Reply #400 on: December 09, 2008, 03:17:58 pm »
Awesome artwork!

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #401 on: December 10, 2008, 07:19:26 pm »
Well done. What kind(s) of sticks are those?
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Miki75

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 27, 2009, 07:29:26 pm
« Reply #402 on: December 12, 2008, 07:02:15 pm »
Well i'm italian, if i understand your question the joystick are quite usual in italy . They are similar to one present in this quite famouse site :
http://www.arcadeshop.de/Joysticks-Redball-Ministick_451.html
they call them Redball Ministick
I want to change them with Happ Competition Joystick in 4 different color to match pushbuttom (bleu red yellow and green) but i do not want to spend money so for the moment i'll use this one.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #403 on: December 13, 2008, 01:57:11 pm »
Interesting stick. Small footprint.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #404 on: December 15, 2008, 01:04:19 pm »
Here's mine.  I've since added other small touches to it:

-  4 way joystick is now a ms.pacman replica (From Tornado Terry's)
-  Coin doors were added (for all 4 players).  Lit coin buttons were removed and replaced with black button plugs
-  labels were added to the admin buttons and pause buttons.

See it in action here:

Here is a direct link to the control panel plans if anyone needs them:
http://files.arcadecontrols.com/details.php?image_id=3612

~ DeLuSioNaL
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 12:36:01 pm by DeLuSioNal29 »
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

shrunkenmaster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2022, 10:17:33 am
« Reply #405 on: January 10, 2009, 05:45:01 am »
The Mystery Machine control panel

J-Stik x 2
U-Trak trackball
SpinTrak spinner
MiniPAC Opti interface

All controls & buttons from Ultimarc

Spare CP hole is for future dedicated 4-way/Tron cocktail stick (if I ever find one)

Mystery Machine Project : http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=88316.0

retrometro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 08:26:04 pm
    • Arcade, mame, retro... and the gp2x.
« Reply #406 on: January 11, 2009, 01:02:51 pm »
I challenge anyone to post a plainer (is that a word?) or more boring panel and cabinet than this.  Complete with default lame marquee and NO art anywhere whatsoever.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzwHWPM21J8[/youtube]

-------- gp2x and retro... play it forever! ------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=0EE573E86D5A86E0
--------------------------------------------------------------------

swaffar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2016, 03:34:15 pm
« Reply #407 on: January 11, 2009, 07:00:01 pm »
Here's my coffee table arcade.
My projects:

ViperStrike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2024, 07:40:11 am
« Reply #408 on: January 20, 2009, 09:49:30 pm »
Here is mine

needlesmcgirk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2009, 10:54:31 pm
« Reply #409 on: January 26, 2009, 09:36:03 am »
Mine is pretty basic.

DjLooter_951

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2009, 04:57:01 pm
  • WHAT IT IZzz!!!
« Reply #410 on: January 28, 2009, 11:34:11 am »
Thizzz izzz Minezzz, The Cab is Next
then the rest is history 9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1, YOU LOSE!!!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 09:11:10 pm by DjLooter_951 »
GAME OVER

DjLooter_951

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2009, 04:57:01 pm
  • WHAT IT IZzz!!!
« Reply #411 on: January 28, 2009, 11:55:23 am »
Here are some of my Older projects :P
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 11:58:24 am by DjLooter_951 »
GAME OVER

hausjam

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 14, 2011, 10:10:56 am
« Reply #412 on: February 16, 2009, 06:55:30 pm »
I finally finished my control panel last week.
From left to right:
Happ competition, Ultimarc 360, TurboTwist 2, U-trak, Ultimarc 360, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, Happ competition

The wiring was alot of work. And hacking apart the Logitech to mount it to the panel was no small feat. Then I had to drill out the holes on the Utrack to get them to line up with the blind-inserts. And then I called in a favor to get a green Happ shaft custom machined to fit onto one of the U360s. And finally mounted the ipac and hacked apart a 7 port usb hub to tie everything into.

Dimensions if anyone is interested:

And finally, a rendering of what it could look like with the overlay I photoshopped together:

If I stare at it long enough, it starts to look good to me. But at first glance, it is just WAY too busy. What do you guys think?

gonzo90017

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #413 on: February 17, 2009, 01:03:06 am »
Yup. Way too busy.

Thanks for the dimensions.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #414 on: February 17, 2009, 08:56:53 pm »
Yup. Way too busy.

It is, but whatever. It's interesting to see a panel that isn't very deep, front to back. I've thought of this myself, and am curious how it feels not having any room to rest hands and arms? Also, is there a project thread or blog?
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

diggso

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2018, 02:57:43 am
« Reply #415 on: February 18, 2009, 07:00:31 am »
Revenge of the FRANKENPANEL!

Now I know a lot of you may have negative feelings towards the idea of a frankenpanel,
but I figured it was the only solution when designing my cp.
The aim was to be able to play as many games as possible with a single static panel. And of course this had to be within reason (so no steering wheels, flight yokes etc. - Light guns may come down the track but they're not really part of a cp anyway). I've seen examples of swappable panels done pretty well, but the idea just didn't appeal to me.
So what was required to cover as many different combinations as possible without getting ridiculous (well it may be ridiculous - you'll have to tell me):
  • Trackball [I used an ultimarc u-trak USB]: A must (esp. for marble madness, there's just no getting away from it). Plus this also doubles as a half-assed substitute for an analog joystick and lightgun crosshair on 1 player games since the panel doesn't have an analog joystick or lightguns (although an analog joystick can be incorporated - see below) 
  • 2 8way/4way switchable joysticks with 6 buttons in standard street fighter type layout[I used Suzo 500 j's and happ buttons]: These should be standard. Being able to switch to 4way is important (i wasn't sure it would be) for a lot of old classics. I chose ones switchable from below the panel because its pretty easy to get to the underside of my panel
  • 2 spinners and 2 trigger joysticks [I used ultimarc spintrak spinners USB and HAPP heavy-duty 8 way trigger sticks]: Ok, the idea with the combination of these I will now explain. At least 1 spinner is a must (tempest, arkanoid etc.), I think we can all agree on that. Plus lets not forget that the spinner doubles for a reasonable steering wheel. So why 2 spinners? Well there are some good 2 player 2 spinner games (e.g. warlords), but it probably wouldn't be worth it for them alone. But with the steering wheel element, it means you've got 2 steering wheels and so now you can play 2 player super sprint. For me that would be an open and shut case, but there are even more reasons. With 2 trigger sticks and 2 spinners, you've also got all 2 player rotary joystick games covered (ikari warriors, midnight resistance etc.) And let's not forget you need 1 trigger stick and spinner combo to play tron and discs of tron anyway. Hopefully you're convinced.
And of course, this means that the design is a 2 player only console. My logic for this was that it would be pretty rare that I's have more than 2 people around the same machine wanting to play the same game at the same time. The machine would have to be (even) bigger, and it would get really cramped. So I went for a maxed-out 2 player cp.

So anyway, after that rant, here's the panel design.

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #416 on: February 18, 2009, 10:04:19 am »
I dunno. I went with a frankenpanel as well, but I went for 4 players so mine's much worse :)

You're right, though, in reality, I'm guessing I'll have very few opportunities to use the four player aspect. I really wanted to do 4 man gauntlet, but that would require 4 spinners, which I never could figure a good way to mount and not have it just beyond ridiculous, though I've now got this idea for pop up spinners... Whole other story.

Plus I didn't have to worry about width ;)

DeFeKT Arcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2009, 10:39:57 am
« Reply #417 on: February 18, 2009, 10:39:57 am »
Revenge of the FRANKENPANEL!

Now I know a lot of you may have negative feelings towards the idea of a frankenpanel,
but I figured it was the only solution when designing my cp.
The aim was to be able to play as many games as possible with a single static panel. And of course this had to be within reason (so no steering wheels, flight yokes etc. - Light guns may come down the track but they're not really part of a cp anyway). I've seen examples of swappable panels done pretty well, but the idea just didn't appeal to me.
So what was required to cover as many different combinations as possible without getting ridiculous (well it may be ridiculous - you'll have to tell me):
  • Trackball [I used an ultimarc u-trak USB]: A must (esp. for marble madness, there's just no getting away from it). Plus this also doubles as a half-assed substitute for an analog joystick and lightgun crosshair on 1 player games since the panel doesn't have an analog joystick or lightguns (although an analog joystick can be incorporated - see below) 
  • 2 8way/4way switchable joysticks with 6 buttons in standard street fighter type layout[I used Suzo 500 j's and happ buttons]: These should be standard. Being able to switch to 4way is important (i wasn't sure it would be) for a lot of old classics. I chose ones switchable from below the panel because its pretty easy to get to the underside of my panel
  • 2 spinners and 2 trigger joysticks [I used ultimarc spintrak spinners USB and HAPP heavy-duty 8 way trigger sticks]: Ok, the idea with the combination of these I will now explain. At least 1 spinner is a must (tempest, arkanoid etc.), I think we can all agree on that. Plus lets not forget that the spinner doubles for a reasonable steering wheel. So why 2 spinners? Well there are some good 2 player 2 spinner games (e.g. warlords), but it probably wouldn't be worth it for them alone. But with the steering wheel element, it means you've got 2 steering wheels and so now you can play 2 player super sprint. For me that would be an open and shut case, but there are even more reasons. With 2 trigger sticks and 2 spinners, you've also got all 2 player rotary joystick games covered (ikari warriors, midnight resistance etc.) And let's not forget you need 1 trigger stick and spinner combo to play tron and discs of tron anyway. Hopefully you're convinced.
And of course, this means that the design is a 2 player only console. My logic for this was that it would be pretty rare that I's have more than 2 people around the same machine wanting to play the same game at the same time. The machine would have to be (even) bigger, and it would get really cramped. So I went for a maxed-out 2 player cp.

SWEET SWEET ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---!!! Looks really well and plays even better

one of the nicest shapes of cab i have seen in my opinion and the control panel is sweet to use.....

killler stuff

Matt

hausjam

• Offline Offline
« Reply #418 on: February 18, 2009, 04:30:30 pm »
Yup. Way too busy.

It is, but whatever. It's interesting to see a panel that isn't very deep, front to back. I've thought of this myself, and am curious how it feels not having any room to rest hands and arms? Also, is there a project thread or blog?

I have not spent much time playing it yet. I did set up a temporary stand for it to kind of test the dimensions of my cabinet. But so far, it feels fine. There is just enough room in the front for your palms to rest on.

As soon as I get some pictures together, I am going to update my website with plans, layout, artwork, etc.

And I am likely not going to use that cpanel artwork. It was fun idea, but just too busy.

hausjam

• Offline Offline
« Reply #419 on: February 18, 2009, 04:35:25 pm »
I've seen examples of swappable panels done pretty well, but the idea just didn't appeal to me.

I am with you there. I considered it, but in the end, sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

smalltownguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2023, 10:48:26 am
« Reply #420 on: February 19, 2009, 08:19:28 pm »

What's that front end you've got there? Looks pretty slick.
Man, will my cab EVER be finished?

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #421 on: February 20, 2009, 04:36:12 am »

What's that front end you've got there? Looks pretty slick.

There's always one. Wiki>frontends.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

smalltownguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2023, 10:48:26 am
« Reply #422 on: February 20, 2009, 10:19:03 pm »
Um...yeah. Thanks for the signpost to the wiki. I've read it. Besides, my question was directed towards diggso.

Not exactly the welcome response I was looking for to my first post, after having sat back and read these forums for over 6 months. Perhaps I'll go back to my silent reading.

:dunno
Man, will my cab EVER be finished?

diggso

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2018, 02:57:43 am
« Reply #423 on: February 21, 2009, 09:58:20 am »
smalltownguy
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile Email Personal Message (Offline)    

« Reply #422 on: Yesterday at 10:19:03 PM »    Reply with quote
Um...yeah. Thanks for the signpost to the wiki. I've read it. Besides, my question was directed towards diggso.

Not exactly the welcome response I was looking for to my first post, after having sat back and read these forums for over 6 months. Perhaps I'll go back to my silent reading.

smalltownguy: hey man, it's mala frontend using the "blue" layout. not sure what that guy Ummon's problem is, don't let it put you off.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #424 on: February 21, 2009, 07:59:04 pm »
Seeing as it's the layout, shown in the wiki, I guessed he either hadn't looked, or hadn't paid attention.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

grumlenz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 14, 2009, 07:25:55 pm
4 Player Panel Question
« Reply #425 on: February 27, 2009, 02:08:21 pm »
I see that many of you with a 4 player panel have 6-7 buttons for players 1 and 2. For players 3 and 4 many of you have 4 buttons and some have 6 or 7. What is the difference/benefits of having more buttons? I ask because I ordered a mameroom 4 player control panel and am in the process of trying to design it. I want to play as many games as possible from as many consoles/emulators as possible and not be limited by buttons, but at the same time I don't want to have buttons that will never be used. Thanks for any advice!

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #426 on: February 27, 2009, 11:35:07 pm »
I know i've posted before, but i just built a new control panel, so here we go again:

i built a new box for underneath it as well, since my last one was really crappy..(i had hardly any tools when i built it)

it is still all black, i like to keep things simple, this makes it a little hard to photograph, but in person, it is very glossy looking.  i spray painted the back side of the plexiglass black, which has a nice look to it.  I had been wanting to get rid of the x-arcade stuff i had been using, so i figured if i was going to do it, i might as well go all out and get the good stuff..

Two Ultimarc U360 joysticks, with longer bat top shafts and medium springs.  bottom mounted under 5/8" mdf and 1/8" plexiglass.

Utrak trackball with RGB LED kit, connected to an OptiWiz controller from Groovygamegear. ( i needed mouse button support, which the ultimarc usb adaptor lacks)

happ concave pushbuttons, two novagem pushbuttons, blue is exit, yellow is pause.   the yellow novagem was not really yellow when illuminated..it was much more amber..almost orange... this didn't work well with my color scheme.  it looked yellow when not lit however, so i removed the yellow LED, and installed a white LED i got from a cheap LED keychain flashlight at walmart.  it isn't quite as bright as the blue one, but at least it is still yellow when lit.  i emailed RandyT about possibly making the yellow novagems available with white LEDs, but i havent gotten a response yet.  the next time i need to order from GGG, i'll get some of those bright white LEDS that he sells, which should make it closer in brightness to the blue one.

Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

martoon x

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2011, 09:01:49 pm
    • Defender Project
« Reply #427 on: March 03, 2009, 08:36:24 pm »
I've been planning out a defender cab with a 4 player console added on for a while now. I designed it so that when the 4 player module was attached, it would blend in with the original original defender control panel but would accommodate the extra controllers such as the spinners and trackball. At first I thought it was way too much, but the severity of it is starting to grow on me and I think I'm going to keep it as the final design.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 08:37:58 pm by martoon x »

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #428 on: March 04, 2009, 09:34:34 am »
cool idea...i like it.  don't forget though, that unless you are using console emulators, you only need 4 buttons for players 3 and 4 for MAME
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

ViciousXUSMC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2009, 10:25:53 am
« Reply #429 on: March 05, 2009, 12:34:24 am »
I challenge anyone to post a plainer (is that a word?) or more boring panel and cabinet than this.  Complete with default lame marquee and NO art anywhere whatsoever.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzwHWPM21J8[/youtube]

What is that frontend?  I need to take the time to consolodate all my roms together for all the systems and get it in a nice easy to navigate setup like that.   Right now its a keyboard & mouse affair.

Todd H

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 12:58:49 pm
  • It's Gameday!
« Reply #430 on: March 05, 2009, 04:18:22 pm »
Here's my plain ol' Mameroom panel. It has two U360 joysticks, 3" Happ trackball, seven buttons for each player, a Turbo Twist 2 spinner with Token Top, and various admin buttons. The button decals are from Pongo. As you can see, I haven't yet mounted the internals of my machine. I have the monitor but the PC parts haven't arrived from Newegg yet.

In the future I'll probably get a new panel with a flush mounted trackball and nice control panel art. But for now it does the trick.

kowal

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 17, 2023, 02:02:16 am
  • Suzo 4ever
« Reply #431 on: March 08, 2009, 04:57:11 am »
metal case

gonzo90017

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #432 on: March 08, 2009, 10:36:13 pm »
Rotary. Yum!

Goatz18

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2021, 06:53:51 pm
  • The Bringer of Destruction and Doom!
    • Arcade Project Alpha
« Reply #433 on: March 13, 2009, 01:28:59 am »
Hey, I'm in the process of building my first cp. I want the 7 button layout I have seen in a few of the cp's here, but for games that only use 6 buttons, is the first staggered button functional or is it dead and you use the regular six? What's up with that?

hausjam

• Offline Offline
« Reply #434 on: March 15, 2009, 06:24:49 pm »
I finally finished my control panel last week.
From left to right:
Happ competition, Ultimarc 360, TurboTwist 2, U-trak, Ultimarc 360, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, Happ competition.....................

Well, I decided I was not happy with the control panel I did in the above post (I actually posted a thread in the buy/sell forum if anyone wants it for free) so I redid it:

^larger picture http://www.cooleywire.com/jimmyh/mame/cabinet/newpaneltop.jpg

^larger picture http://www.cooleywire.com/jimmyh/mame/cabinet/newpanelbottom.jpg

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 04:24:56 pm by hausjam »

silversmurfer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2011, 03:18:47 am
  • Live fast - die often
« Reply #435 on: March 16, 2009, 01:33:35 pm »
Ok just finished my first attempt at refitting my Turnarcades slimline mini cab with a new CP, I modified both the original 2 player CP and this one to be easy to change with d-sub connectors to link the lower buttons. Still some refinements to do but I just wanted to prove that you could squeeze a trackball into a small cab. At last my daughters can play Centipede as it should be played!

Many thanks to ultimarc for the gear - also trialing the mag stick for the top changeable 4-8 way options

Cheers

silversmurfer

Turnarcades

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2017, 08:14:29 am
  • Craig @ Turnarcades
    • Turnarcades
« Reply #436 on: March 16, 2009, 05:00:29 pm »
Looks great - proof that compact designs are just as versatile as the big cabs!  :applaud:

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #437 on: March 16, 2009, 08:04:32 pm »
Ok just finished my first attempt at refitting my Turnarcades slimline mini cab with a new CP, I modified both the original 2 player CP and this one to be easy to change with d-sub connectors to link the lower buttons. Still some refinements to do but I just wanted to prove that you could squeeze a trackball into a small cab. At last my daughters can play Centipede as it should be played!

Many thanks to ultimarc for the gear - also trialing the mag stick for the top changeable 4-8 way options

Cheers

silversmurfer

Ha, cute name. Really interesting that the trackball looks white in it illumination, yet appears light purple in the reflection off the glass.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

silversmurfer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2011, 03:18:47 am
  • Live fast - die often
« Reply #438 on: March 17, 2009, 06:19:28 am »
Ha, cute name. Really interesting that the trackball looks white in it illumination, yet appears light purple in the reflection off the glass.

Yep my camera work needs improvement! it is lit with multiple LED's from underneath and is meant to be purple. Will also change to other colours once I've mastered LED Blinky!

aumameman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 18, 2009, 09:50:07 pm
  • AUSSIE MAMER !!
    • Arcade joystick - First attempt
« Reply #439 on: March 22, 2009, 08:43:02 pm »
Many of these CPs are way to busy for my liking.

When I have the $$$$ to build my own arcade machine I will stick the the Street Fighter layout and maybe add an extra button for Neo Geo Games (Come on have to be able to play Metal Slug).

The left joystick will be one of those which can change from 8 way to 4 way by lifting and twisting so I can still play classics like Pac Man they way they are meant to be played.

Illuminated buttons does remove the need for excessive CP artwork so I may go down that route but I am not 100% sure just yet.
-- The Internet has you --