Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Control Panel Database: Post a picture of your Control Panel!  (Read 753055 times)

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
Re: Control Panel Database: Post a picture of your Control Panel!
« Reply #360 on: August 31, 2008, 07:46:32 pm »
It's about time I post some pics of my mame cab, which has a centipede theme since the cab artwork was in good condition to begin with.

I did swappable panels because I didn't want to change the basic look of the cabinet, yet I wanted the flexibility to play virtually any game. Centipede has a sheet metal panel, and since I enjoy metalworking, I figured it's a perfect chance for another sheet metal project. Plus I think sheet metal works better for swappable panels than wood would. The panels drop into a groove at the bottom of the opening, and there is a "lip" around the sides and top to support the panels. The panels are held in place by 3 cap nuts (whatever they're called), which can be seen in the pictures. DB37 connectors are used to make connections to my IPAC4 and OptiPAC, and you can see that in one of the pictures.

I'm only showing the panels which are "complete". I also have a panel with 1 mag stik plus and 3 buttons, but I haven't put an overlay on it. I am currently working on a steering wheel panel which is basically just a logitech wheel mounted permanently to one of my swappable panels. A lightgun panel will come sometime in the future, and who knows what else (perhaps a 360 wheel panel).

Also, you can see in the picture of the underside that I have DB9 connectors for plugging in player 3 and player 4 controls, which are just mounted in wood boxes (nothing special there - all function and no form). There are little buttons right in front of the connectors which turn the player 1 and 2 coin drops into player 3 and 4 coin drops (my cab can't be played without coins).

Without further ado... the pictures.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 07:48:27 pm by TheShanMan »
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #361 on: September 01, 2008, 10:21:03 pm »
Nice panels. The only thing I would've done different is the spinner/TB panel - switched the buttons and TB, as I'm a lefty controller when using buttons.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Dan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2010, 11:52:34 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #362 on: September 15, 2008, 08:25:41 pm »
About 6 1/2 years ago I decided to mod my Hanaho ArcadePC by adding swappable panels.  I replaced the original HotRod box with a home-built box with a removable top.  I used an ipac for the interface board.  My dad (a retired carpenter) did all the woodwork and I did all the electronics.  Everything still works to this day.  I used to have a website, but it's long gone so I'm posting some pics here.  You can find all of my pics - old and new on my public image gallery at http://picasaweb.google.com/chisel316.  It includes pics of my home-made racing cockpit and Zizzle mini pinball machine.  Hopefully these pics will give newcomers some ideas for designing their panels.  I spent a lot of time researching arcade game controllers before creating these panels and I have to say that I don't regret any of the them.

Enjoy!
Dan

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #363 on: September 16, 2008, 12:10:40 am »
It's nice to see another swappable panel design, Dan! And a wood one at that. You might have noticed mine a few posts back, a swappable sheet metal panel. Swappable panels do have their downsides, but I love the uncluttered look, and in my case, it is only slightly oversized compared to the original cp (deeper than original, but same width).

Now you just need an overlay. ;D
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Dan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2010, 11:52:34 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #364 on: September 16, 2008, 04:02:34 pm »
It's nice to see another swappable panel design, Dan! And a wood one at that. You might have noticed mine a few posts back, a swappable sheet metal panel. Swappable panels do have their downsides, but I love the uncluttered look, and in my case, it is only slightly oversized compared to the original cp (deeper than original, but same width).

Now you just need an overlay. ;D

Thanks.  The small footprint of the ArcadePC was perfect for a swappable design.  I actually started by adding a spinner to the original HotRod controller it came with.  I knew if I wanted to add anything else, I'd need to go the swappable route.  I planned on using molex connectors, but after one night messing with those pins, I decided to use a parallel printer cable instead.  It's hot-swappable and only takes seconds to change.  I have a small cabinet in the same room that holds all the panels.  I went for wood because my Dad is a retired carpenter and is a true perfectionist when it comes to building things out of wood.  I opted to build a replica box instead of using the existing HotRod box because I wanted to preserve the original controller and I knew my Dad could build an exact replica - which he did.  Then he cut out a half dozen top panels and I did the rest.  The only custom panel is for the driving controls.  If you look at my pics at picasa web albums, you'll see that I started with a mock panel made out of cardboard.  Actually, when I first got the Wico joystick, buttons, and ipac, I made a controller out of a cardboard box that worked!  Even with the small footprint of the ArcadePC, I still managed to pull off a 3-player panel.  I angled the outside joysticks so the players wouldn't have to stand too close together.  Lastly, for those who want to add jukebox controls to their cab, but don't have the room (like me) you'll notice that my jukebox controller is an external usb keypad turned upside down with custom labels!

Peace \/
Dan

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2019, 09:09:30 am
  • The Saw Is Family
« Reply #365 on: September 17, 2008, 12:09:23 pm »
Here's mine. I wanted to be able to play any and all games so I went a little overboard...

Brent

This is a joke right?
“Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

Encryptor

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 08:01:18 pm
« Reply #366 on: September 17, 2008, 03:59:01 pm »
Dear Lord I certainly hope so!  :dizzy:

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #367 on: September 17, 2008, 05:30:48 pm »
Looks like Thayer's Quest was a requirement. ;D

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
« Reply #368 on: September 17, 2008, 06:42:37 pm »
Its photoshop, just look a little closer.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #369 on: September 18, 2008, 07:28:18 pm »
Its photoshop, just look a little closer.

I didn't think it even needed pointed out. It's so obvious (especially the first spinner).

t0rc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 11, 2014, 07:53:53 pm
« Reply #370 on: September 19, 2008, 12:11:35 pm »
This is a project i almost completed about 2 years ago. I got it to about 90% and plan on finishing it up over the next few months.

I based the design off the Supercade CP but added the ramp for the trackball so you don't jam your fingers when going for the big drives while playing golden tee.

I'm also seriously considering rebuilding the bottom level of the CP to make all the Joysticks perpindicular to the monitor, a small but annoying mistake I made when first building the panel, I simply wasn't aware of this during the stick placement :(.

aside from that it works very well and I'm very happy with the layout. I may also add an analog flightstick to the upper right panel side (there is a big empty space there now) or a 2nd spinner to play head to head super sprint.

pinballwizard79

• The above mentioned items do not expel strawberries & pretty girls
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2014, 09:18:00 pm
  • I sleep by my arcade every Friday
« Reply #371 on: September 19, 2008, 10:27:42 pm »
this was a pic from one of my previous arcades, I lost all the HQ pics so this is all you get.......................dug t his up from my phone for another topic so I decided to post it here & contribute

"George Bush doesn't care about arcade people"

My FrankenPanel: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=110312.0

My Game Room: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=81323.0

Benevolance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2019, 03:13:59 pm
« Reply #372 on: September 23, 2008, 04:09:09 pm »
What is that on the side? Is it a collapsible cup holder? Or a seatbelt clip?  ???

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • The Saw Is Family
« Reply #373 on: September 25, 2008, 09:20:31 am »
this was a pic from one of my previous arcades, I lost all the HQ pics so this is all you get.......................dug t his up from my phone for another topic so I decided to post it here & contribute

What is that box on the side there?
“Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #374 on: September 25, 2008, 07:07:49 pm »
This is a project i almost completed about 2 years ago. I got it to about 90% and plan on finishing it up over the next few months.

Interesting. I don't think I've seen two extra sticks added simply for dual two-stick play. Cool. Nice idea on the trackball.

What is that box on the side there?

Yes, they're fold-up cup holders.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

ctozzi

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 24, 2022, 01:05:42 pm
« Reply #375 on: October 01, 2008, 02:19:51 pm »
The Art finally came in for my custom MK1 control panel. To be able to play all mame games I'm having this built with a few modifications. A Red trackball will be mounted in the middle of the 1-2 player buttons, and the whole panel will have a slide out drawer for keyboard/mouse.
Current Cab's
Dedicated Killer Instinct 1
Mortal Kombat 1,2,3
Terminator 2
Rampage WT
WWF Wrestlemania
MAME MK1
Zelda Theme Bartop

Tim N.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 06, 2016, 04:49:21 pm
    • RalphWiggum dot Net
« Reply #376 on: October 07, 2008, 10:10:53 am »
Here is my latest creation... The makes MAME number 14 (I believe) for me.... The other 13 walked out of the basement when people come over, so I did a showcase to keep them from leaving.... This control panel has an Apache Control Push/Pull Spinner, Dual trackballs (one large, one small), LEDs underneath all the buttons (except coin, start, and spinner), and dual lightguns that hang from each side of the CP (not pictured).... Lots of buttons, but lots of emulators too.... N64, PSX, etc...

« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 06:03:48 pm by Tim N. »

Portnoy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2012, 11:27:50 am
« Reply #377 on: October 07, 2008, 01:16:14 pm »
Here's mine. 25" wide.  All controls are 100% comfortable to play, even with 2 players going at it....

P

« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 04:26:38 pm by Portnoy »

ghettodish

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2017, 03:41:58 pm
« Reply #378 on: October 12, 2008, 02:35:24 pm »
My CPs are all hot-swappable. Of my 6 panels this one I get the most use out of. It's a Stargate layout with an extra 4/8 way joystick stuck in the middle. Pardon the Home Depot shelfpaper!

Falkon215

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2023, 01:39:04 pm
  • Who Ever Swallows The Most Tylenol PM Wins!
« Reply #379 on: October 12, 2008, 11:01:52 pm »
Here's mine. I wanted to be able to play any and all games so I went a little overboard...

Brent
:dizzy:

patrickl

• I cannot know for certain which will be tastiest
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2021, 09:25:30 am
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #380 on: October 13, 2008, 05:21:32 am »
Lol, that gag keeps on running  :P
This signature is intentionally left blank

Sparky398

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2008, 10:31:36 pm
  • Needs More Cowbell
« Reply #381 on: October 27, 2008, 01:37:50 am »
Three Questions
 1 is there a database of games / control layouts
 2 why the 7 button joystick lay out
 3 can I really build a 28" panel with out it being too crowdde

Thanks in advance form a newbe

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 16, 2020, 11:00:55 pm
  • What have I done?
« Reply #382 on: November 02, 2008, 12:50:23 pm »
Three Questions

I'm interested in this as well. I'm trying figure out my CP design.  I just have no idea what games
use spinners & track balls. I'm just guessing this is a touchy subject considering the roms. But even
a list of dedicated machine layouts would be nice. I see a reason for me to start a new online Database!

web.geek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2021, 05:38:54 pm
« Reply #383 on: November 02, 2008, 10:08:44 pm »
Three Questions

I'm interested in this as well. I'm trying figure out my CP design.  I just have no idea what games
use spinners & track balls. I'm just guessing this is a touchy subject considering the roms. But even
a list of dedicated machine layouts would be nice. I see a reason for me to start a new online Database!

Have you guys looked at MAWS?
To game, or not to game...what kind of question is that!?

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 16, 2020, 11:00:55 pm
  • What have I done?
« Reply #384 on: November 02, 2008, 11:16:35 pm »
Have you guys looked at MAWS?
[/quote]

Not until now...tyvm

layoric

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2008, 02:23:39 pm
« Reply #385 on: November 05, 2008, 02:23:40 pm »
Here's a 3D model of my soon to be drilled panel. The cab is a refurbished cabinet, used to be street fighter. Now it's all painted black. Since it's re purposed, the panel area is quite small, so I decided a single player is more realistic (17.75" x 6.5" usable space for drilling).

- Layoric

pat47200

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2010, 06:31:54 am
  • My first Mame-Cab since already 9 years....
    • ULTIMATE-ARCADE-STATION
« Reply #386 on: November 06, 2008, 05:28:03 am »
This my two control panels:

The first has been realised in INOX:

And the second:

If you want more information, see you on my site:

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/ultimate.arcade

See you later.... ;D ;D ;D

MY WEB PAGE:

Martijn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2024, 10:34:36 am
  • Akira!
    • ModMyBox
« Reply #387 on: November 06, 2008, 01:04:06 pm »
I guess i can post mine here to now.

Street Fighter Arcade Control Panel

2 x U360 sticks with circular restrictors, connected to 7 action buttons and 1 player select button each.
1 x mini pac underneath the laminate connected to 3 admin buttons and 3 ps2 sockets, each with 4 buttons per socket

Topside

Underside

You can see more of it here :

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=84649.0l

stan2323

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2023, 06:05:19 pm
  • Major Retired USS Enterprise Commanding
    • My home page
« Reply #388 on: November 06, 2008, 02:13:07 pm »
Very impressed with the wire routing.

Very well done.

Stan
Careful what you wish for you may get it!!
There are 10 kind of people in the world those that understand binary and those that do not!!

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • The Saw Is Family
« Reply #389 on: November 11, 2008, 03:58:11 pm »
I like the SF layout a lot but I am not sure that if I like that the buttons and joysticks cover up the artwork of the characters.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #390 on: November 12, 2008, 11:23:34 pm »
I like the SF layout a lot but I am not sure that if I like that the buttons and joysticks cover up the artwork of the characters.

Not much choice, looks to me. Nifty idea on the CP wiring.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

Sardu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2023, 05:45:54 pm
« Reply #391 on: November 17, 2008, 12:07:36 am »
There's some really awesome work here.

I just wanted say "Hi" and post my first CP (attached to my first CAB of course)

I was going to get it printed on paper and overlay plexiglass but then decided to use adhesive vinyl and it came out beautiful.

I still need to touch up the cabinet a bit.  Works perfect though.  I might get a trackball in the future and put it right in the center.

Can you tell I like Mario?  ;D

pat47200

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2010, 06:31:54 am
  • My first Mame-Cab since already 9 years....
    • ULTIMATE-ARCADE-STATION
« Reply #392 on: November 21, 2008, 07:49:13 am »
AND MY JEUTEL CONTROL PANEL......

See you later...... :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:
MY WEB PAGE:

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • The Saw Is Family
« Reply #393 on: November 24, 2008, 02:20:53 pm »
Somebody get a coaster under those drinks.

X-Mas List...

1. Cup Holders for Mame Cab.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #394 on: November 24, 2008, 10:14:29 pm »
I think it's plexi-ed.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

PsychoAU

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2020, 12:27:19 am
« Reply #395 on: November 25, 2008, 06:57:11 pm »
Here is my finished CP I built a little over a year ago.  I needed to build the box for a converted Centipede cabinet.  Attached is my Visio template if anyone wants to see how I planned it out.

I removed my bezel for the video and pictures.  I also haven't installed my second U360 so there is a hole on the Player 2 side.

Here is a video I made stepping you through the features of the CP

« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 06:58:48 pm by PsychoAU »

isucamper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2019, 05:13:08 pm
  • I'm a slasher... of prices!!
    • my project arcade blog
« Reply #396 on: November 30, 2008, 09:46:22 pm »
I'm excited to finally post in this thread.  Here's some pictures of the 4 player panel of my TRON themed cabinet.  The two inner sticks are top mounted U360s.  The two outer sticks are Happ Rotary sticks (mechanical) that were bottom mounted and recessed 1/4".  The trackball is a blue Happ illuminated trackball.  The spinner is a GGG Turbotwist Hi-Low spinner and the TRON looking stick is a PC flightstick called the Macsense iFunstick. 

I designed the artwork myself with Inkscape and had it printed at Kinkos on their "Heavy Bond Paper".  It is sandwiched between 5/8" MDF and 1/8" acrylic called "Optix" that I got at Menards.

THE SYSTEM          Popeye

toxicware

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2008, 11:39:52 am
« Reply #397 on: December 03, 2008, 06:49:18 pm »
Heres my first one (but not last). I built this for my new office, if you browse through the pics you will see i did a matching pin-pong table as well. I created custom graphics for the CP and marquee light, came out awesome! Took about 2 weeks.

2-Happ competition joysticks, 6 buttons per player, pause/exit/player1/player2/coin buttons, electric Ice Blue LED in the middle. Keywiz controlling it all.

http://ryangreene.net/galleries/Arcades/arcade1/index.html

Perogy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2009, 12:23:22 am
« Reply #398 on: December 08, 2008, 03:29:15 pm »
heres mine, still kind of a work in progress

Miki75

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 27, 2009, 07:29:26 pm
« Reply #399 on: December 09, 2008, 05:06:42 am »
Here is mine.

All home made.
Tell me what dou you think about this.