Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Control Panel Database: Post a picture of your Control Panel!  (Read 749929 times)

eaconner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 27, 2013, 11:15:42 am
    • WV Arcade Club
Re: Control Panel Database: Post a picture of your Control Panel!
« Reply #520 on: October 01, 2009, 07:59:07 am »
What is the artwork printed on and how is it attached? Looks good.

It was ordered from http://www.mamemarquees.com/, I did the design in Illustrator. It has an adhesive back.

From MAME Marquees:
"Our Control Panel overlays are covered with Polycarbonate laminate (also used for bullet proof glass!) which offers a very tough, scratch resistant and textured surfaces. This will last a long time and take a lot of abuse. Do not settle for vinyl laminate!"
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 08:01:08 am by thelarry8675309 »

cyapps

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2011, 02:51:31 pm
« Reply #521 on: October 07, 2009, 08:03:51 pm »
I think I finally settled on my layout and have already got most of the woodwork done. I am stuck with retrofitting a cp onto an existing cabinet (converted track and field) so I had to squeeze everything in to fit within the existing space. I don't want to modify the cabinet at all as when I get the money I will be restoring it.

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #522 on: October 08, 2009, 03:04:59 am »
I am stuck with retrofitting a cp onto an existing cabinet (converted track and field) so I had to squeeze everything in to fit within the existing space.

I forget Ginsu's solution and all.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

GeeF

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2012, 12:11:39 pm
« Reply #523 on: October 12, 2009, 04:22:44 am »
My CP:

Sherak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 30, 2009, 10:37:25 am
« Reply #524 on: October 20, 2009, 04:49:01 am »
Hello!  ;D nice to find this place.... great to see such a active forum on all things home arcade... I have a few projects on the go at the min but this is my first.. The plan was to make a slighlty retro Street Fighter 4 cab but as it works off a PC its also a MAME cab...

The machine was a Virtua Striker 2 2000 cab and first I converted it to a working coin op Marvel Vs Capcom cab (new 6 button pannel etc) then I inserted Cthulhu PCB's into the control pannel aside the NAOMI ones as to allow me to plug the pannel into a PC or PS3, the PC or PS3 sits nicely in the base so I can easily switch between a MAME/PS3 cab or the original NAOMI coin op..

In action

Will post up more pics n stuff, I have also just converted a Xarcade into a twin sanwa... Not a fan of the Xaracade at all, not sure what other think?

wolfsoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2023, 07:54:14 am
« Reply #525 on: October 22, 2009, 03:09:59 am »
Here you can see my CP including GroovyGameGears Buttons, Trackball and my modified RGB-Balltop Leds

with Leds

without Leds

Video:
http://www.blog.wolfsoft.de for arcade tutorials
http://www.wolfsoft.de for our website

Sherak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #526 on: October 22, 2009, 06:25:31 am »
The beastly Xarcade stick finally becomes a beuty

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #527 on: October 23, 2009, 04:37:20 pm »

.........dude, why'dnt you just buy a blank form Mameroom?.....

Here you can see my CP including GroovyGameGears Buttons, Trackball and my modified RGB-Balltop Leds

Looks real nice. You got a project thread?...I'd love to see more of the cab.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Sherak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #528 on: October 26, 2009, 11:48:50 am »

.........dude, why'dnt you just buy a blank form Mameroom?.....

Because I bought the Xarcade stick thinking it was gonna be a sweet peice o' kit, turns out its a ugly bag o shite with cheeper than cheap components.... + the pannels from Mamaroom with UK shipping cost as much as the Xaracade stick and that is without any circuits...

Knave Jack

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2015, 01:06:25 am
  • We're all mad here!
« Reply #529 on: October 27, 2009, 09:03:48 pm »
Here are the picts of the unfinished control panel on the cabaret. I also included the instructions, and the game list. There are more, but I will post them later. The acrylic is edge lit with some nice blue led strips.

Kordova

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2013, 06:30:42 pm
  • Lawyered...
« Reply #530 on: October 28, 2009, 03:09:58 pm »
The photos of my cabinet are really big, sorry.  Just finished this.  It's my first build.  Let me know what you think.  More complete info on the build is found in my post here. http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=97617.msg1029858#msg1029858

« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 03:22:18 pm by Kordova »

HanoiBoi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2016, 09:52:03 pm
« Reply #531 on: November 10, 2009, 07:50:03 pm »
Completed most of the construction over Christmas when I was off for a few days.  Been collecting parts for over three years and wanted to get this done.

It's a two-deck design inspired by the supercade panel, but I don't have anything installed up there yet.  I'll eventually add a spinner and analog flightstick to the upper deck.

And the artwork to go with it.....

And as an update, here's the finished items....still need to put the door on the front to close it all up nicely.

As mentioned previously, will add a flight stick and possibly a spinner to the currently unused upper deck.  Thinking about a separate panel for mounting steering wheels, pedals, and shifters and want a couple of lightguns as well.
Joysticks are used Ikari Warrior style rotary 8-way joysticks.  Trackballs are both Xarcade 3-inch trackballs....I've been very pleased with both.

I like the design on the CP.  I'm wondering though about the 2 trackballs.  Can anyone suggest why one might want 2 trackballs?  I'm trying to layout my first CP and I want to include many games as I don't foresee creating a 2nd machine or CP any time soon.

Thanks in advance!

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2021, 05:49:39 pm
  • Likes to make things difficult.
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #532 on: November 10, 2009, 11:15:36 pm »
My Control Panel for the SHMUP. A 3" Happ trackball and 2 Happ Supers with Custom made aluminum joystick shafts and fitted with Sanwa clear blue balltops. Each player has 6 Buttons for each with Player 1's button 5 and 6 acting as mouse buttons when needed. The only admin buttons on the system are pause and exit, which are hidden in the recess above the coin door. Making the CP as authentic looking as possible. Also, there are no credit buttons as the coin slots are wired and rigged to accept .984 tokens instead.

mytymaus007

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2023, 09:58:40 am
  • http://gameroom.atozmicro.com
« Reply #533 on: November 14, 2009, 07:57:49 pm »
MY 1st 2 player control panel - 2 red top Wico's, 4 way Original Pacman joystick a must, Apache Push and pull spinner with Happ 2 button trigger joystick, eventually will make the Trigger joystick detachable so I can play Golden Tee but Im into the classic's so not in a hurry. Defender,Astroids, track and field and vanguard button layout. Im old school so fighter's i will play but not much. 1-blue bat stick 4 way for Qbert and Congo Bongo mounted 45 degrees. Rotary joystick not played much and 8 way top fire happ joystick next to the trigger joystick works great for Vindicators and tank games. Let me know your thoughts for a 2 player CP basically play alone so i would say its a one player cab.

HanoiBoi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #534 on: November 14, 2009, 08:17:21 pm »
MY 1st 2 player control panel - 2 red top Wico's, 4 way Original Pacman joystick a must, Apache Push and pull spinner with Happ 2 button trigger joystick, eventually will make the Trigger joystick detachable so I can play Golden Tee but Im into the classic's so not in a hurry. Defender,Astroids, track and field and vanguard button layout. Im old school so fighter's i will play but not much. 1-blue bat stick 4 way for Qbert and Congo Bongo mounted 45 degrees. Rotary joystick not played much and 8 way top fire happ joystick next to the trigger joystick works great for Vindicators and tank games. Let me know your thoughts for a 2 player CP basically play alone so i would say its a one player cab.

Wow.  Is that 7 joysticks in all?  I'm not shooting for that, but I'm sure it's very user friendly per game.

I am also a big fan of an Asteroids layout.  I'm not exactly sure where yours is.  Are they the blue buttons to the left and right of the 4way?  Which button do you use for hyperspace?

PS Thanks for the tips on the push/pull and Happ 2 button joy

mytymaus007

• Offline Offline
« Reply #535 on: November 14, 2009, 08:36:47 pm »
Yes the CP is user friendly. i would love to have a swappable panel but i might play 5-10 games in one sitting. If i played one game at a time i wouldnt have built a frankenpanel hahah. Anyway Yes the Asteroids are the blue buttons they are extended plus the red button is hyper space or you can use the other blue button next to thrust and fire

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #536 on: November 15, 2009, 07:58:33 pm »
Hanoi: Marble Madness (which I love) requires two trackballs. So does Cabal (which is okay).

mytymaus: dude, you could've put in a U360 to accomodate the blue bat and 49-way and probly spent the same amount. Might even have not had a dedicated 4-way - OR, you could've put it in place of the left wico and also not had those other two sticks above it.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

HanoiBoi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #537 on: November 15, 2009, 08:47:56 pm »
Hanoi: Marble Madness (which I love) requires two trackballs. So does Cabal (which is okay).

Thanks Ummon.  I also enjoy Marble Madness, but don't need it as a 2player.  I'll save the space of extra trackball and concentrate on dual Asteroid 5 button layouts (Space Duel & Rip Off).

Speaking of trackballs....are you hip to the game 'Reactor'?  I don't hear many people talk about it, but it's a helluva game.  Simple, but fast and really gets your blood pressure going!

mytymaus007

• Offline Offline
« Reply #538 on: November 15, 2009, 09:36:31 pm »
AHHH I was waiting for someone to say i could of used u360's. IMO they are week for what i like. If you noticed I have 8 way Wico's for the main sticks wouldnt trade them in for the world. Also I have a real Pacman stick not happ 4 way micro switch LEAF switch is the way to go for originalality. As for my 4 way blue bat stick it works great not in the way at all. MONEY if i was worried about money i would of just bought a used XARCADE on ebay :laugh2:

mytymaus007

• Offline Offline
« Reply #539 on: November 15, 2009, 11:21:38 pm »
Check out the Wicos And the original pacman Leaf switch its a must for pacman, Happs are good but for speed pacman the original is amazingly accurate which if you play speed pacman you know what im talking about.

mytymaus007

• Offline Offline
« Reply #540 on: November 15, 2009, 11:23:06 pm »
here

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #541 on: November 17, 2009, 11:49:41 pm »
Check out the Wicos And the original pacman Leaf switch its a must for pacman, Happs are good but for speed pacman the original is amazingly accurate which if you play speed pacman you know what im talking about.

I ahbor that version. pac or mspac.

Hanoi: I almost always play games by myself....but, Marble Madness is fun with two players. The only issue is that since it uses one screen, I think you can get caught if the other player doesn't keep up. Still, I'd like to build a special panel. I actually bought two trackballs for that, but then decided against it for now. Plus, I'll just sport the coinage and get usb.

Yes, Reactor is pretty cool. I remember when it came out. While I liked the cab color and design some, I didn't dig the game play, because I didn't really get it, and the music is pretty harsh in the upper harmonics. I've come to like it, though. Ain't played it in a while....maybe I wills nao.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

Gamester

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2019, 03:00:10 pm
« Reply #542 on: November 25, 2009, 05:41:35 pm »
My contribution to the thread:

Current Project:                                                       First Project:

mytymaus007

• Offline Offline
« Reply #543 on: November 25, 2009, 05:55:10 pm »
NIce Any Build Pics, Clean wiring to :applaud:

Gamester

• Offline Offline
« Reply #544 on: November 25, 2009, 06:16:22 pm »
NIce Any Build Pics, Clean wiring to :applaud:

Thanks! 

Lots of build pics in my project thread here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=94891.msg998020#msg998020
Current Project:                                                       First Project:

surface tension

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2018, 08:45:48 am
  • feel the tension...
    • surface tension tables
« Reply #545 on: December 01, 2009, 05:03:54 am »
This is the new slightly longer control panel which will be on the new surface tension tables from now on. I'll be posting the new table in the main forum soon!

josephayal

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2010, 11:16:20 am

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 01, 2012, 09:54:23 pm
« Reply #547 on: December 13, 2009, 10:11:59 pm »
I purchased an X-Arcade years ago and I have been slowly modifing it. I think that I finaly have it in a state that I like.

Here are some photos...
(And before someone asks, I remove the spinner knob for 2 player action)

Nataq

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2023, 09:09:45 am
  • Arcade of the dead... now alive!
    • Arcade of the dead... now alive!
« Reply #548 on: December 22, 2009, 09:40:07 pm »
Here's mine !

warham

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2014, 12:14:03 pm
« Reply #549 on: December 23, 2009, 07:41:57 pm »
my machine is almost finished. 

Gamester

• Offline Offline
« Reply #550 on: January 02, 2010, 01:12:59 am »
LOL, you must have been really anxious to post to this thread...  I have to wonder why you couldn't wait until you finished peeling the plastic off the CP first?    :P
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 09:17:16 pm by Gamester »

UberCade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2021, 11:22:32 pm
« Reply #551 on: January 20, 2010, 10:49:28 pm »
Here's my unpainted control panel for my Ultimate Arcade II cabinet.

It may look a little cluttered but it works really well. I have two trackballs installed because I wanted to be able to accomodate two players for Marble Madness since it's one of my favorite arcade games. I also designed it so the joystick and button panels for the two middle players are removable and interchangeable with other controls, such as a second joystick for each player for Karate Champ and Smash TV, or a rotary joystick instead of the 8-way for Ikari Warriors, or a 49-way, etc. The wiring harness will be all plug-n-play and hot swappable. The trackball mounting plates and joystick mounting screws are all recessed into the top so they will be covered by the control panel overlay. The 4 buttons along the very top are for the MAME core fuctions (start, pause, stop, settings) and are illuminated.

I'll post an update once it's finished and installed on my cabinet.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 10:53:07 pm by UberCade »

mytymaus007

• Offline Offline
« Reply #552 on: January 20, 2010, 11:01:53 pm »
NIce i would love to see more pics. How do you plan on making hot swap panels. If i made my panel a bit bigger i would of had enough room for a second Ball. Marble Madness is awsome! You should put in a midway (pacman) 4 way instead of the Happ you;ll be happy you did. Seems like your into the classics.

UberCade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #553 on: January 21, 2010, 07:07:28 pm »
Yeah I like the classics just as much as the newer stuff, but I spent my whole childhood in the arcades so I have countless memories of playing arcade games so I'm especially partial to the classics. Some of my favorites include Marble Madness, Karate Champ, Ka-Ge-Ki, Elevator Action, Tron, and on and on. The red ball top joystick in the middle actually is a dedicated 4-way. I had to have one for those older games.

As for the panels being swappable, what I'm going to do is make some jigsaw cuts along the pencil lines you can probably see in the picture so the panels will pull straight out, and I'm going to drill a few holes along the top cut and insert some dowels into the fixed portion of the CP top and glue them in, and drill matching holes in the removable section so it will line up, and likewise I'm going to use dowels to connect and align the two removable panels side by side. Then I think I'll use some kind of cabinet latches on the underside to lock them in place. I'll post some more pictures once I get everything cut and working like I plan. I think it will be easier to understand by looking at it. I also bought some male and female DB9 connectors which I'll solder the wires to so the harnesses for the joysticks and buttons can be unplugged when they're removed, and whatever is going in can just be plugged in. I'm still working on it so expect more pictures soon.

drventure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #554 on: January 21, 2010, 07:18:31 pm »
Have you checked out u360's for those middle two sticks? They are fantastic for this sort of thing because they can be remapped to work like a 2/4/8 stick, analog stick qbert stick, you name it.

Nice panel in any case. i went with 2 trackballs myself. 2 player Marble madness is good stuff!

UberCade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #555 on: January 22, 2010, 02:36:27 am »
Have you checked out u360's for those middle two sticks? They are fantastic for this sort of thing because they can be remapped to work like a 2/4/8 stick, analog stick qbert stick, you name it.

Actually yes I have, and I'm already sold on a couple of U360's, but a little later on down the road. This project has already cost me a fortune and now I'm at the point where I just want to finish building the thing so I can have some fun with it! I plan to use the joysticks I have for now, and invest in a couple of U360's (with matching color balltops) and use the HAPP Competition sticks I'm using now as secondary joysticks for the middle players for the Karate Champ and Smash TV games. The U360's will be my next major investment in the cabinet, probably a couple months down the road or so. This is why I wanted the make the joysticks hot swappable, so I can add them later on, but still play it now. I'm getting very antsy to play some arcade games.

drventure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #556 on: January 22, 2010, 08:50:58 am »
Ah, makes sense. I like the idea of hot swappable. I would LOVE to be able to put 4 spinners in mine for a reasonable version of 4 man cocktail Warlords, but that's just likely not gonna happen with my current cab

silverdolla

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2021, 02:02:28 am
« Reply #557 on: January 28, 2010, 06:42:46 pm »
Amazing thread! A lot of inspiration here and I love it! I have recently been bit by the arcade bug again (after 5 years), and I plan to go on with it full force so that I can enjoy the good old times at the arcade and have fun with my kids! My wife says she's the best in Tapper but she will have to prove it  ;).  When I finish I will post a pic of my CP. First post by the way  :)

scept1c

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2011, 11:21:14 am
« Reply #558 on: February 04, 2010, 02:47:22 am »
nice pics! i want to see some more. i hope they work as good as they look

H4CK3R

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2012, 06:12:09 am
« Reply #559 on: February 12, 2010, 03:47:41 am »
Heres my Control Panel, Built buy Scott at mameroom.com

I built the Custom Control panel stand. 

H4CK3R