Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Tips for grilling steak  (Read 9508 times)

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
Tips for grilling steak
« on: October 20, 2006, 11:59:50 am »
I don't eat a lot of red meat, so I don't cook a lot of it.  I'm unbeatable on a grill when it comes to chicken and I can grill fish and burgers well.  I've even got pork chops down to a science.  But I've never got beef steaks quite down.  How do y'all grill your steaks, particularly really lean steaks.  I've got some bison steaks I want to grill tonight and I want them to turn out well.

Speaking of bison (a.k.a. buffalo), if you haven't been using it, I suggest starting as soon as possible.  I picked up some ground bison about six months ago and it was fantastic -- far better than a regular beef burger.  I've used it ever since, except the last time my wife went shopping and we were going to have burgers they were out of bison so she just bought ground beef.  It was difficult to go back to.  The bison is so much more flavorful and juicy.  But if someone were to eat it without knowing they wouldn't be like, "What is this?"  It just tastes like a really really good burger.  It's also quite a bit healthier than beef.

Anyway, you can ask me after tonight if the same thing applies to bison steaks.  So far all I've had is ground bison burgers. 

So, yeah . . . help me make them good   ;D  How do you grill your steaks?
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

koso

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 11, 2021, 11:26:12 pm
Re: Tips for grilling steak
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 12:06:19 pm »
The wife and I like medium rare, and found that on the barbeque on max heat, 5 minutes one side, flip and 4 minutes on the other is perfect. 

We either marinate beforehand, or lightly season (seasoning salt, pepper, garlic plus) on the grill with barbeque sauce in the last two minutes with another flip back with more sauce for one more minute.

mpm32

• Cheesecake Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 09:25:14 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 12:07:53 pm »
One thing that I've noticed is to let the meat get to room temp before throwing them on the grill.  Don't take them from the fridge right to the grill.  I just rub the meat down with some butter, garlic, onion and pepper.

When you take it off, put it on a cutting board and cover with al foil.  Put some butter on top and let it melt over the meat.  Let it rest for 10-mins at least.  Don't cut into before then, you'll lose all of the juices.

People wonder why stuff tastes so good in good restaurants, they use 1+ sticks of butter per dish.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 12:17:04 pm »
I have to agree with the bison deal...Really delicous, really lean (leaner than even turkey and chicken meat)! I live near a couple Bison farms, so I make bison burgers, bison jerkey, bison pizza, heck, even bison spaghetti.

If you can get the stuff cheap, try it!

My standard method to steaks is to either marinate it or put in in a seasoning rub and tenderize it a bit. I usually go with a rub for steaks though.

Then on the grill, I crank up the heat as much as possible to sear the flavor in. Once the meat is seared, I throw it on a medium heat part of my grill to cook the inside better...

I cook mine to medium so it is a little pink on the inside, but not bloody.

I also use this big book that has been floating around the dollar stores around where I live, It's called BBQ Bible...Its loaded with marinades and rubs and cooking methods...like a 500 page book for only a dollar.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 01:01:38 pm »
Pre-heat the grill at least 10-15 minutes.
NO MORE!!

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 01:26:29 pm »

I just rub the meat down with some butter, garlic, onion and pepper.

Do you mean garlic powder and onion powder, or are you chopping unions and mincing garlic for this?
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

str1der

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2021, 04:35:31 pm
  • Live it!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 01:50:48 pm »
A nice little trick to tell if it's done, I like mine medium, is push on the meat with your finger. If it gives about the same as pinching your thumb and forefinger together then it should be done. Definetly let it sit for about 10 minutes once you take it off the grill to let the juices redistribute. If you like the flavor you should definetly sear the steak first. It adds great flavor but don't fall for the myth that it holds in juices. Goodluck

boykster

• This thread makes my brain hurt worse than Vogon poetry....
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2021, 12:13:15 am
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 02:09:42 pm »
Look in a book or somewhere online for a thickeness/time chart.  I do 1 1/2" steaks for about 5 mins a side for rare....that's how I roll  8)

Most of this has been posted, but here's my technique.  Allow steaks to come to room temperature, rub with salt, pepper, and a high heat oil (I prefer NOT to use butter or olive oil because of their low smoke point).  Unless it is a very tough cut of beef, DO NOT pierce it in any way whatsoever.  If it is a tough cut, then I suggest an overnight marinade (or as long as you can) after piercing it with a fork or small knive, or one of those rolling tenderizers, but not one of the mallet types (those are for making thin cutlets not tenderizing real steaks).  Yes it's ok to put salt on your steak at this point, it wont be on it for long so it won't have a chance to dry out the steaks.

pre-heat the grill for at least 10 minutes...leave the cover open while heating.  use your tongs and some wadded up papertowel to wipe the grill down with canola oil or other high heat oil. 

Temp control will be up to you, I know my grill really well, and I use medium high.  Place the steaks over the hottest portion of the grill -> USE TONGS!!!!! NO FORKS!!!!!! and cook for 2 minutes, do a quarter turn (same side) and cook for 3 more minutes.  now turn the steak over and cook for 2 minutes, quarter turn, 3 more minutes.  Remove from the heat and place single layer on a plate.  Tent with aluminum foil (leave some head room, dont wrap tightly) and let sit for at least 10 minutes.

If you want less rare, you will need more time, and probably lower the temp for the later cooking.  You can always sear as above, then move the steaks to a cooler section of the grill.

mpm32

• Cheesecake Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 03:40:27 pm »
Do you mean garlic powder and onion powder, or are you chopping unions and mincing garlic for this?

It depends on how rushed I am.  Sometimes I use the powder, and sometimes I chop.  The chop tastes better.  I like marinaded steaks but I think that butter, garlic, onion and pepper let the taste of the meat come through.

My rule is the cheaper the cut, the more you need to season it.  A nice filet or porterhouse only needs a little seasoning.

boykster

• Offline Offline
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 03:48:48 pm »
I'm partial to Rib-Eyes....a good ribeye needs nothing but some loving preparation, a bit of salt and pepper, and a good grilling!

Buddabing

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2015, 02:51:45 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 04:29:32 pm »
We have a Holland grill. All grilling is done by time. Preheat the grill, throw on the steaks, turn once, boom, perfect. Usually I just put Montreal steak rub or just Lowry's Seasoned Salt on them beforehand.
I have changed my nickname to "Cakemeister". Please do not PM the Buddabing account because I do not check it anymore.

Please read the wiki!

lokki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2017, 12:57:48 pm
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 05:25:49 pm »
I'm partial to Rib-Eyes....a good ribeye needs nothing but some loving preparation, a bit of salt and pepper, and a good grilling!
Been coking Rib-eyes also. Cast using Cast Iron Grill (cooking on the stove)
Pre heat grill. And oven to 450
Only salt and bit of pepper.
3 Minutes per side.
Followed by 4 minutes in oven.

Perfect rib eyes.

boykster

• Offline Offline
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 05:50:27 pm »
Been coking Rib-eyes also. Cast using Cast Iron Grill (cooking on the stove)
Pre heat grill. And oven to 450
Only salt and bit of pepper.
3 Minutes per side.
Followed by 4 minutes in oven.

Perfect rib eyes.

That's an excellent technique as well, and how I do it during the winter when the grill is down.  I use a cast iron "grill pan" but otherwise same technique.  Rib eyes (and other good cuts of beef) really take well to a dry heat approach....

Dammit, now I'm hungry  ;)

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2006, 01:14:24 am »
I used mpm32's instructions and the steaks were excellent.  I know this is against the rules, but since I was in a hurry cos my wife and I had to eat and run I just put the butter on when they had a couple minutes left on the grill.  Probably not as good as tenting, but the steaks were still extremely juicy and tasty. 

Next time I think I'll try boykster's extremely detailed instructions.

By the way, like the ground bison, the bison steaks were incredibly tasty.  Once again, the average person would not identify it as bison if they didn't already know.  They'd just think they were eating a damned tasty beef steak.  Y'all are missing out if you don't check this stuff out.

Best Kid iPad Apps

Texasmame

• No, no. He's in charge here.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2022, 05:28:39 pm
  • Ba, ba, boom!
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2006, 08:45:34 am »
I used mpm32's instructions and the steaks were excellent.  I know this is against the rules, but since I was in a hurry cos my wife and I had to eat and run I just put the butter on when they had a couple minutes left on the grill.  Probably not as good as tenting, but the steaks were still extremely juicy and tasty. 

Next time I think I'll try boykster's extremely detailed instructions.

By the way, like the ground bison, the bison steaks were incredibly tasty.  Once again, the average person would not identify it as bison if they didn't already know.  They'd just think they were eating a damned tasty beef steak.  Y'all are missing out if you don't check this stuff out.

I remember for a bit that Chili's had "Buffalo Burgers."  I had 'em a couple of times, pretty good.  Still, I have a hard time wrapping my head around eating something other than what is generally considered "normal" meat.  Not even sure if they still have 'em.

Did have venison once.  That was mighty good.  :)

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2006, 03:48:32 pm »
Bison, Elk, Ostrich.  All very good meats, and maybe it's just my area, but we're able to get these in ground form at any time in a "regular" grocery store.  The Elk is a bit harder to find than the other two, but well worth trying.

If you can't wrap your head around trying these straight, give this a go:  Get half a pound of ground beef and half a pound of bison.  Mix 'em together.  Don't do ANYTHING to them that you might normally do, just mix 'em together.  They'll cook quicker than just straight ground beef, so use just a touch lower heat.  After having that mix, you'll think twice about using ground beef if you're gonna have burgers next time ;D  Shmokes is right, the taste is something you'll be surprised at. 

Also, for bison burgers, some ranch dressing and onions is wicked good!  If you pick up some Hidden Valley Ranch mix, toss some in and mix it up.  It's out of this world!
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2006, 01:21:47 am »
Hard to believe with the experiences of others that you seem to think it's chewy and a crumbly texture.  Your comments lead me to believe terrible preparation or cooking are your problem, not the meat.

My mom makes pot roast that's terrible.  I don't.  The difference is in how it's prepared and cooked.

You simply haven't had anyone cook bison well for you.  There's been far too many good experiences by myself, and I'll venture by shmokes, for you to be close to correct.  The alternative is to believe you've got strange definitions for what you're experiencing, which could also be true.

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2006, 03:24:53 am »
Meh on bison.  It has no flavor and it's chewy with a crumbly texture . . .

PS: Seriously, though, bison?  The only way to get beef to taste that bad is to throw a frozen hamburger patty in the microwave for 10 minutes.

Nah . . . I've grilled bison burgers at least a dozen times in the last six months.  You're either getting terrible meat or overcooking the hell out of your burgers.

Best Kid iPad Apps

boykster

• Offline Offline
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2006, 05:22:52 am »

More than one set of grill marks and/or use of butter = amateur

Don't waste you money on steak if you're going to mask the flavor with crap like BBQ sauce or A1.

The only thing I disagree with here is on the grill marks.  if you have random multiple grill marks, yes amateur.  if you have a beautiful criss cross pattern of grill marks on each side -> work of art.

And yep, if you're going to use A1 or other "sauce" then don't waste your $$ on good cuts.  get some cheaper cuts and tenderize the heck out of them. 

This thread inspired me to get a couple of small spencer / rib-eyes and grill them tonite.  I prepped em just as I described above....and they were delicious!

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2006, 09:32:29 am »
More than one set of grill marks and/or use of butter = amateur

I prefer two sets of turns for proper, even cooking throughout, especially for thicker cuts. Otherwise you end up with one side cooked more than the other. For a 1.5"-2" Strip Loin on a hot grill in summer, I'll go 2min/2min/2min/2min (cover open) and done. YMMV.

Nice 90-degree turns make for pretty grill marks, but not necessary to taste.

The only hard-and-fast rules I have are

• preheat the grill properly
  • don't put cold meat on the grill
  • don't pierce the meat ... get tongs

Other than that, if it works for you and your guests enjoy, then mark as a success. Nothing wrong with some BBQ sauce on a steak (heck, minced garlic will distort flavour way more than a decent BBQ sauce), if that is what you like. A nice dry rub is also good.

Bison can be different, depending on where you get it and how they are raised. And it doesn't cook like a normal fatty beef burger. Bison needs to be cooked more slowly and should not be salted prior to cooking. Also, overcooking will produce poor results (crumbly).

Cheers.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 03:18:00 pm by CheffoJeffo »
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

lokki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2017, 12:57:48 pm
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2006, 02:47:42 pm »
Has any one tried kobe (Wagyu) beef? Never tried it but been tempted to buy it.
Keep wondering if it as good as people say it is.

Spending 100 bucks on two steaks hard to justify.

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2006, 04:04:44 pm »
I could be wrong about this, but until relatively recently I don't think there were enough buffalo in the world to have a significant supply for buffalo to be a mainstream meat.  They were "hunted" almost to extinction by retarded white people while expanding westward across the continent.

Best Kid iPad Apps

boykster

• Offline Offline
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2006, 11:38:18 pm »

Either true Kobe or Wagyu style beef is VERY good if it is a good cut from a reliable source. I don't prefer either / or but only buy Wagyu style beef from known sources, anybody can claim Wagyu style and charge an arm and a leg.

What makes Wagyu style beef so good (and expensive) is the quality of the marbling.  The meat is more fatty, but its not just that there's more fat, its the quality of the marbling.  Rather than there being large deposits of marbling in sparse places, wagyu is evenly marbled throughout and yields an exceptionally tender steak.

I dunno if its worth the extra money, as even a pedestrian cut of beef can be made stellar if treated properly, but it definately is a treat to occasionally indulge in a cut of beef that literally melts in your mouth  :cheers:

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2006, 12:20:42 am »
Speaking of tender, I've never liked fillet mignon.  They're tender, but not nearly as tasty as a ribeye.  What really kills me is when they're cooked while wrapped in bacon.  Why would I want to pay $20 for a piece of meat that tastes like bacon when I could just eat bacon?

Best Kid iPad Apps

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2006, 02:53:21 am »

A buddy got a few steaks from his dad as a present, so I finagled 2 from my parents this past year after him telling me all about it.

I simply cannot imagine buying 'em while my kids still live at home, but I can definitely see myself buying a few steaks in the future. 

I prefer a prime rib if we're going out, and only from 2 locations that I've ever had it from.  Like shmokes, I don't get all the hubbub about filet mignon, but wagyu, I get.  It's just that it IS a bit hard to choke down the price tag, and if you screw it up...... :angry:

I got mine from www.allenbrothers.com and we've also picked up some desserts from them.  I'd wholeheartedly recommend them if you're looking to try wagyu.

bleemus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 01, 2016, 12:53:24 pm
  • Party Pengo in the house.
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2006, 10:55:13 am »
Speaking of tender, I've never liked fillet mignon.  They're tender, but not nearly as tasty as a ribeye.  What really kills me is when they're cooked while wrapped in bacon.  Why would I want to pay $20 for a piece of meat that tastes like bacon when I could just eat bacon?

Places that know how to cook a piece of meat don't cook it with bacon.  Usually your chain steakhouses wrap them, because they don't have a hot enough fire to cook the steak to medium-rare without losing all the juices in the process.  The fat from the bacon helps keep it moist.

Depending on the cut of meat, 4 minutes on one side, 3 minutes on the other for a medium rare sirloin on an extremely hot fire.  If the cut of meat is thicker, go with 5/4 or 6/5.  Always be sure to let your meat rest under a loose foil cover for 5-10 minutes.

While cooking steaks, I make sure to use lump charcoal, and not charcoal briquettes.  You can get a hotter fire going with lump charcoal over briquettes.  Lump can be hard to find, but once you use it, you'll never go back. 

Also, never use charcoal starter fluid.  Buy yourself a chimney starter.  Start a small fire with dry wood in the chimney, once the fire gets going, dump your coals into the chimney, and let them smoke like hell until you see white/red coals all the way up to the top (the very top will still be black, but there should be small flames jutting up from the coals).  A very hot grilling fire will be your reward for your patience.  If you insist on lighting fluid, be sure leave your cooking surface off until you let the fire burn to white-hot coals for at least 10 minutes to burn off all that nastiness.  And no, I don't do gas gills, so I don't have any input in that arena.

As for seasoning, a little kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper is all you should need.  I also like to get some of the marinades you can find in the store.  Be sure not to skimp on price, buy a good one.  Also, be sure the marinade is very runny so it can penetrate the steak.  Those marinades that are more like sauces will not penetrate the steak and just burn onto the surface of the steak when you sear it.

Quote from: Fran Lebowitz
My favorite animal is steak.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 03:08:21 pm by bleemus »
Reality is overrated.

boykster

• Offline Offline
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2006, 03:08:24 pm »
good advice bleemus.  chunk charcoal and a chimney starter are DEFINATELY the way to go..you'll get the best cooking / heat and flavor from that approach.  Almost all briquette charcoal has filler/binder in it, and doesn't burn nearly as hot as chunk charcoal.  And starter fluid is a definate no-no unless you want your steaks to taste like lighter fluid.

I am guilty of grilling on a gas grill, but properly done, it can be almost as good as chunk charcoal.  heat the grill REALLY hot for at least 10 minutes, cook with the lid open (dont be tempted to "bake" the steaks -> you'll pick up propane flavor) and don't crowd the steaks.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2006, 03:19:37 pm »

One of my projects for the spring hopefully will be a brick smoker/grill setup for wood burning... of course I've been saying that for about 4 years now.

mpm32

• Cheesecake Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2006, 08:48:50 am »
I used mpm32's instructions and the steaks were excellent.

I'm glad it worked out for you shmokes.  There's many ways to do it and most of them will give good results, just depends on what you like.

I think I'm going to get some steaks tonight.

Oh, one other thing along with letting the steaks get to room temp, try to buy the steaks the day you're going to cook them.  A couple of days before is ok.  Try not to freeze the meat.  My wife and I argue over this but I think that freezing really changes the flavor and texture of the meat.  Sometimes she'll go shopping and pick up some nice steaks and throw them in the freezer, kills me.

I had a NY strip the other day that came out of the freezer.  I didn't feel like grilling it so I cut it into strips and made some Philly cheese steaks out of it.  Cook up some onions, throw in the steak, make a pile in the pan and put the cheese over until it melts.  Put on a nice roll.  Too nice of a cut to use for cheese steak but they were delicious.

Spaz Monkey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2011, 11:33:55 pm
  • Hit me with a chicken quesadilla and a Coke.
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2006, 10:36:45 pm »
The way I was taught to determine how long to cook steaks, is to test the firmness of the meat vs your hand.  Relax your hand and feel how firm the "meaty" party of your thumb that is part of the palm.  That is rare.  Touching the ring finger to the tip of your thumb (the OK sign) is medium rare, etc.  I never just look at the steak to figure out the wellness of the meat.

Texasmame

• Offline Offline
  • Ba, ba, boom!
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2006, 02:48:40 pm »

bleemus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 01, 2016, 12:53:24 pm
  • Party Pengo in the house.
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2006, 10:37:30 am »
This guy is great:

http://www.glumbert.com/media/steak

Alton Brown is my hero in the kitchen.  His show is great for teaching correct cooking methods, describing why they work, and being quite entertaining all at once.
Reality is overrated.

Texasmame

• Offline Offline
  • Ba, ba, boom!
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2006, 10:49:13 am »
This guy is great:

http://www.glumbert.com/media/steak

Alton Brown is my hero in the kitchen.  His show is great for teaching correct cooking methods, describing why they work, and being quite entertaining all at once.

Yeah, he does a real nice all around job.  My wife likes "Mr. Bam" better and we both enjoy "Unwrapped."  Good little network.

boykster

• Offline Offline
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2006, 11:50:08 am »
Yep, Alton is very informative.  Good Eats is my favorite cooking show, even though they haven't made any new shows in a while.  I really like his food-chemistry approach to cooking, and his focus on taste.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2006, 12:22:17 am »

A friend of mine was telling me about Kobe beef.  One day,  we decided to
try a new place...  and they happen to have it.   

The cost was seriously stupid..    but since Im single, I figured what
the hell.   

My friend loved it.  But that to me doesnt say much... as he
usually gets his steak well done and drowned in A1.   
However, I dont think he actually used A1 this time.. which
tells me HELL must be very cold down there now! :P

I personally didnt find it that special.   The regular Applebee
steaks I order were more tender than this and cost tons
less !  heh    In addition,  I didnt taste any seasoning...
very plain.   Whereas again...  Applebees steaks are
highly seasoned superbly flavorfull.

The marbling was very even..   but to me it didnt make
any difference to me.   Maybe if it had been seasoned well
I may have had a differing opinion.

I have had Filet Minion as well.  The times Ive had it,
the bites litterally melted in your mouth.  Very
juicy and flavorfull.  Only problem.. is that its usually
in very small proportions. (and expensive)

I prefer Prime Rib actually.  If done right.. its the most
tender and flavorfull meat.  The best Ive  had has
been from a place called " Roadhouse Grill".

God!  My mouth is starting to water!!!

:)

Anyone got the recipes for seasonings on
Applebees steaks? 

boykster

• Offline Offline
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2006, 02:53:14 am »
I'm sorry, you're comparing Kobe Beef (if it is truly Kobe / Waygu style beef and not just named that) to Applebees?

:laugh2:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 03:20:09 am by boykster »

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2006, 05:54:23 am »

Laugh all you want..  but my wallet was crying after the first bite.
I could stand paying good money if it was worth it.. and to me,
it really wasnt IMOP.   And yes, it  was the real deal..  as this
was a high profile resturaunt.  I also noted the marbling
which matched the descriptions Ive heard about.

The typical applebee steak was much more tender and
tasty.   As has been said here..  quality of the meat doesnt
always matter.  Its how its cooked and seasoned that
counts as well.

Btw - have you even had a steak at Applebees?  The
burbon steet steak is the best seasoned steak Ive
ever ate.  Ive never tasted anything like it.

And as Ive said..  Ive had Filet Minion, and that
was much better IMOP  than the Kobe.

Texasmame

• Offline Offline
  • Ba, ba, boom!
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2006, 08:32:03 am »
I had some Filet Minion at one of those Japanese We Cook In Front Of You places the other day.

O M F G :applaud:

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2006, 01:47:41 pm »
I hate Applebee's.  All of their food has a similar taste to it, and it's unfortunately kind of a ---smurfy--- taste.  They're steaks, in my opinion, are mediocre at best -- not even as good as a Sizzler steak.

Best Kid iPad Apps

boykster

• Offline Offline
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2006, 03:06:27 pm »
I hate Applebee's.  All of their food has a similar taste to it, and it's unfortunately kind of a ---smurfy--- taste.  They're steaks, in my opinion, are mediocre at best -- not even as good as a Sizzler steak.

I have to agree with you here. 

Yes, I've eaten at an applebees, and IMHO it's maybe a step above Denny's in quality.  I'm sorry you had a bad example of a Kobe steak, that does happen.  In fact I've had a  bad Kobe steak before too...you know what I did?  I sent it back and ordered something else -> and didn't pay for it. 

I prefer my steaks come very lightly seasoned...pepper and salt rub at most with some olive oil to allow the natural beef flavor to really shine.  I would never order a bourbon steak  :dunno  If YOU like it, that's all that matters though, and I'm glad you enjoy it!

I try to stay away from large chain places like applebees, olive garden, outback, etc and find I get much higher quality food at chef owned restaurants.  Its a shame that most of america considers the olive garden to be good italian food and red lobster to be a good seafood restaurant   :dunno

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2006, 05:25:26 pm »

If YOU like it, that's all that matters though, and I'm glad you enjoy it!

Agreed on that point, although it WAS the funniest comparison I've read around here in quite some time! :laugh2:

I try to stay away from large chain places like applebees, olive garden, outback, etc and find I get much higher quality food at chef owned restaurants.  Its a shame that most of america considers the olive garden to be good italian food and red lobster to be a good seafood restaurant   :dunno

I hate Olive Garden and Red Lobster is okay.  For "chains", I prefer Carraba's and Joe's Crab Shack, far better atmosphere at both places than at the two you mention.  And I've had far better seafood at non-chain restaurants as well. 

I don't (or can't) believe that people think those two restaurants are "good", rather, that they're "decent portions for a reasonable price" restaurants.  Red Lobster can't even do a homemade biscuit right, for cryin' out loud, but it still ends up reasonably tasty.

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2006, 05:28:36 pm »

Anyone got the recipes for seasonings on
Applebees steaks? 

If anyone's got it, these guys will.  Try here:

http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/home.asp  :nlp ;)