Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Galaxian Mame Conversion  (Read 80017 times)

csa3d

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2011, 08:16:35 am
  • Will game for food
    • Galaxian Mame Conversion
Re: Galaxian Mame Conversion: Coin Door Restoration - 90% Complete
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2007, 09:18:12 am »
Restoration on my coin door continues, and is at what I'm calling 90% completed.  What still needs done... (snip)

Door looks great!  I need to restore a couple of mine...  a question.  after cleaning with the Dremel disk, how did you paint it?  what paint, etc?

I used Rustoleum Automotive Primer (#2089 Dark Gray) as the base and a bunch of coats of Rustoleum Textured finishing paint (#7220 Black).  You can read full details here

I've recently purchased a can of Rustoleum Hammered paint, and am considering redoing the door paint one more time.  Why?  Well.. since It's been sitting in the garadge with the cab (my current workshop), it got dusty pretty quickly.  Well, because the texture finish is mostly flat, it's very tough to clean.  The hammered stuff probably is a closer texture match,  but it's a bit on the glossy side.  Look wise, this is probably undesirable.  Maintenance wise, this is ideal for washing.  I will probably spray it again, and see how the color turns out.  If it like it.. call it done.  If not, I will probably go back over it with 1 more coat of that texture paint, leaving the hammered texture coat underneath.

I originally quoted out have that thing powder coated, and all my bids came back at ridiculous rates of 150-300$  Guess I don't know the right folks.. so I went to Home Depot and figured it out myself.

-csa

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Will game for food
Re: Galaxian Mame Conversion: Control Panel
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2007, 09:21:51 am »
I agree, it's great to have the trackball recessed, and this is a very nice way to do it. The Galaxian CP (wood with metal on top of it) makes it possible......  :D

Yeah, I considered bondo filling the original metal panel, and redrilling.  However, I didn't want to mess with all that, and figured making a brand new one completely out of wood was the way to go.  The only thing I might change next time around, would be to use a more substantially sound wood.  MDF doesn't hold screws worth a dang.  So yeah.. note this control panel is 100% mdf ;)

-csa

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Will game for food
« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2007, 09:04:17 pm »
Trackball Havok!

Ok, apparently when reading these forums, I confused "trackball up" in one of the prior threads.  Well, Silly me couldn't get my trackball to work by just plugging it into the computer during my initial test, so I assumed this had something to do with grounding and would fix itself upon wiring.  Looking back, I'm wondering if plugging it directly into the ps2 port and not into a usb->ps2 adapter was the problem (since it's likely that adapter didn't carry power).

At any rate, upon getting my panel wired up and plugging it in, firing it up, I discovered that up/down was switched with left/right.  An email to good ole' RandyT, and it turns out I installed my trackball wrongly.  Take this image:

Note that top of this picture is bottom of the monitor.

Randy informed me of two issues.  First, I should have rotated the unit 90 counter clockwise before routing.  OOooopsss.. you'll see i'm out of room.. and definately once I show you the wiring in a few days.  This was my 2nd control panel, and no way am I making that again!  Second, there are no magical jumpers to reverse things.. but you CAN cross wires.  Green/Yellow is one axis, Blue/Brown the other.  He noted that in doing this, I'd notice a different roll in GoldenTee and other fast spin games, due to the top roller not being at the top of the panel.

After some sulking, and dismantling.. here's my solution.  Using the same hole cutout, rotate the top mount 180 degrees.  This gives you a roller positioned at the top.  Sure, left and right roller will be backwards, but I figured this direction was relatively arbitrary for the sake of golfing.  So far so good, you have a top roller, but you still have wrong axis.  Good to note, is that the interior molex connectors/circuit boards can be moved, swapped.  I swapped the boards so that Y was X and X was Y.  One more test, and seems that now with roller at top, I have the axis right, but polarity of the up/down reversed.  A quick splice of the brown and blue wires.. and reversing them (brown->blue, blue->brown) and everything was in the right position.

Whew!

Only mod I had to make was to get a sanding bit on the dremmel to cut a new ambilical divet on the opposite side of the routed hole.

Not a lot of pics.. this was touch and go, but wanted to make sure no one else followed my example without warning ;)  Apparent, "wires forward" should be interpreted as "wires facing you" if you come across the same thread I did.  At this point, I'm not sure doing it over from scratch, I still get which way is up.  Mine works now, so I'm happy.

-csa

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2007, 12:01:49 am »
That's a clever way to mount that trackball. Nice finish with the paint too.

I agree. Killer work.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2007, 07:53:29 am »
Sweet mother of Galaga!
Very nice work, csa3d!!!!!!!!!!!!
 :applaud:
Sorry about dropping in on this thread so late in the show, but I have to give you two thumbs up!
Great craftsmanship!

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Will game for food
« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2007, 10:59:21 pm »
Controls / LEDs installed

So here's some photos of my progress from this week.  I started by using template measurements drawn up in photoshop, printed, and cut into the CP.  I'm currently using these templates to create the artwork.  In the meantime, I thought I'd get the guts installed and tested.  To my surprise, everything seems to work.  He we go:

Top View

Top Angle

Trackball Detail

For the bottom, I had a very small space to sqeeze this all into.  My control panel is designed to hinge upwards 90 degrees to access the rotating monitor, and to work on the panel without having to reach inside the deep, dark depths of the cabinet to find those hidden control panel hinges.  Since it's possible that company would see the underside, I gave it a little extra love.  I created a shelf out of the original black plexi that came with the cab (I've since replaced it with graylite 14) and mounted the wires as though it was an amp rack.  Since the trackball and buttons are lit, it gives the rack a backlit affect.  Images below:

Bottom Wiring

Shelf Detail

Lit Top

Lit Top Angle, Right

Lit Top Angle, Left

Bottom Back Lit

This week is all about getting the artwork finished to match the new layout, and send it off to Scott so I can wrap this puppy up and play!
-csa

« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 11:06:16 pm by csa3d »

patrickl

• I cannot know for certain which will be tastiest
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2021, 09:25:30 am
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2007, 04:03:03 am »
That looks really slick. Great work. Those lighted buttons look bright  :P
This signature is intentionally left blank

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Will game for food
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2007, 08:54:51 am »
That looks really slick. Great work. Those lighted buttons look bright  :P

Thanks Patrick!

They are fairly bright, but some of that is just the camera's take on things.  My only disappointment thus far is that the E-Ice trackball fully lit is dimmer then the E-Ice buttons fully lit.  I guess I was hoping they would match.  Maybe i'll look into dimming the buttons somehow, if possible.

-csa

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Will game for food
Re: Galaxian Mame Conversion: Control Panel Artwork
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2007, 11:53:56 pm »
I finally got some free time to shore up the artwork for the CP.  When I began the fabrication, I had used some templates which I mocked up in photoshop to get the spacing and horizontal alignment for the button spacing.  But because my CP is wider then my printer, I had to create multiple templates and align them by hand.  I have found that this technique has made it let's say, "challenging" to guess the exact spacing to draw over top of.

I took 4 sheets of paper, and taped them together to form a long sheet of paper.  I flipped the control panel upside down on this long sheet of paper, and traced out all the holes (which I drilled using printed templates).  I also traced the sides, and was left with an image I planned to scan back into the computer (in 8.5x11" sections) and recombine it in photoshop.  Once this was completed, I overlayed my original printed templates, and lined it up to the scanned in tracing.  The result was a template I'm hoping is fairly accurate.

Next I took my templates which I mocked up months ago, and tweaked them to my final layout.  Here's where I'm at so far.  Next I'll likely take this to Kinko's and have them print the cheapest large format version I can obtain, even it's that's black and white, so I can test the alignment.  Then it's off to Scott at Mame Marquees for final production.  I'm sure even if it lines up at Kinko's, I risk it not properly lining up at Scott's.  I can't imagine it will off by much, and I'm pretty sure I'm not building a 3rd control panel over it it doesn't work out.

Pic 1:  Scanned Template
Pic 2:  Overlayed with artwork, ready for printing (after removing button diagrams)

audiomidiman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2015, 11:40:00 pm
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2007, 01:37:46 pm »
Have anymore updates? Also, do you have any images of your final CPO? I'm doing a Minor restoration on a working Galaxian and "MIGHT" be turning it into a 48 in 1 or a 60 in 1 w/ a custom CPO. However, I'll most likely keep the original harness, PCB and power supply happily in the cabinet so one day it can be a dedicated cabinet again.

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Will game for food
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2007, 02:09:09 pm »
Have anymore updates? Also, do you have any images of your final CPO? I'm doing a Minor restoration on a working Galaxian and "MIGHT" be turning it into a 48 in 1 or a 60 in 1 w/ a custom CPO. However, I'll most likely keep the original harness, PCB and power supply happily in the cabinet so one day it can be a dedicated cabinet again.

Ha.  I've been working on the cab here and there.  I have some major house remodeling happening, so this project has gone backburner until I can move back in to be honest.

The artwork above is final, and when I send it in to Scott at MameMarquees, I'll downsample it to 300dpi and hide the button hole overlay layer in Photoshop.  I can post that final PSD here if there's interest.  It's currently very large, and all in vector format.

As for updates.. I was gonna save them and hit you guys all up at once.  What you've not seen which is completed as follows:
- Interior painted black with foam roller.  I'm 100% sure it's near impossible to get any sort of mirror-esc finish using a roller.  Maybe I suck.  It's fine for what it is.
- Added a vertical board to "box off" the retainer area light box, which holds the GGG NovaMatrix light
- Painted the interior lightbox with chrome spray paint for light dissipation.
- Wired up the NovaMatrix to a RadioShack toggle switch.  It works.. a bit disappointed in weak light output.  Maybe I mounted it too far back?
- Wired up the speakers, cleaned up and painted the grills.  Untested.. assuming they still work fine.
- Painted the access door and reinstalled.  Back is black to match cab interior, exterior is white.
- Sanded down keys to back entry door with steel wool to bring back old luster shine.
- Repainted coin door with Rustoleum Black Hammer finish paint.  The door now looks glossier, not more like the original spatter texture like the paint cap would suggest.
- installed new coin inserts from Rich at ThisOldGame.com <-- Awesome work.. spot on when compared with old ones
- Installed new Manufacturing plate from Rich at ThisOldGame.com <-- same comments, stellar!  Can't wait for him to hurry up and finish the repro gold Midway coindoor badge
- Acquired black leather t-molding, not installed, waiting on art first
- Bought and installed Greylight 14 tempered glass to fit original housing.  No plans for overlay until I finish the rotating monitor solution.

So whew.. lot's of litte things.  On the bad:

My wife knocked over my control panel while moving some stuff around for our remodel, and my GGG Turbo Twist spinner is thrashed.  I am in contact with Randy and he's gonna hopefully be able to Dr. it up.  I also used my friend, Bondo, to fix a sunken and smashed MDF corner on the control panel.  It needs another coat of paint, and I haven't bothered with it yet.  I HAVE attached the CP to the cab to safeguard it from any other workshop mishaps!

Once the remodel completes next week, I will order up the art and hopefully have this puppy playable by Xmas.

-csa

« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 02:23:52 pm by csa3d »

Singapura

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2015, 08:43:05 pm
  • I, for one welcome our new insect overlords!
« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2008, 09:26:58 pm »
Any more updates? I'm turning blue holding my breath. Nice work so far, I'm very curious about the end result.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 09:29:37 pm by Singapura »
Wish list: Galaga, Pacman, Pooyan, Star Wars cockpit, Gauntlet, Tron

And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three.

Fozzy The Bear

• Handbags at dawn in here!!!
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2011, 11:29:59 am
  • It's Been One Of Those Days... Don't Ask!
« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2008, 10:21:33 am »
Any more updates? I'm turning blue holding my breath. Nice work so far, I'm very curious about the end result.  :cheers:

I've been biting my tongue since he very first started this project...... If I was to fully state my opinion on this willful destruction of one of the dwindling stocks of original and 100% complete classic cabinets then the air would be more than a bit blue.

Given the amount of work he's done and the amount of destruction he's done he could easily have built one from scratch that externally looked the same. To destroy a classic like this, just because he couldn't be bothered to learn how to fix a faulty monitor is to be blunt disgusting!!

Somebody said it's like Hotrodding a car, and that it's only like fitting disc brakes to a classic car.... Well it isn't!! Because contrary to promises he made when he started this, this is in NO WAY a fully reversible modification to the classic cab.

I weep at the loss of another one!! This is exactly the sort of thing that gives us a very bad name in the restoration community of genuine collectors.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 10:37:44 am by Fozzy The Bear »
Most bottles and jars contain at least twenty-five percent recycled Pacman.
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Will game for food
« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2008, 06:59:57 pm »
Given the amount of work he's done and the amount of destruction he's done he could easily have built one from scratch that externally looked the same. To destroy a classic like this, just because he couldn't be bothered to learn how to fix a faulty monitor is to be blunt disgusting!!

Fozzy, you are correct.  Looking back, this project would have likely ended up the same should I have built it from scratch.  I can tell you that some parts I have restored, some parts I have modified, and some parts were completely created from scratch.  At this point in the game, I feel confident that no matter what my next cab will be, I NOW have the skills I need to do a complete restore or a complete scratch build.

I never purchased the original cabinet in hopes of having the original monitor working, nor have the galaxian game play.  I purchased the cabinet 1.) because I like how the original cab looks, shape and artwork and 2.) Because even using Jack-o-bud's plans, having a complete cabinet was the template I needed to understand how various things went together etc.  I've parted out the PCB, and still have the original glass which I will also part out to you or any other collector who desires it.  The fact of the matter was that this cab was purchased at an auction, and now has a new life of it's own.  It will be greatly enjoyed by many, and I'm sorry you feel so strongly.  When all is said and done, it will still look 95% like an original Galaxian machine.  I don't understand why you feel the need to continue with the negative vibes at this point in the game; you have voiced your opinions and we're past that.

To others looking for updates with constructive criticisms, Scott has sent an emailing saying the side art has been shipped, and it didn't make it in this weekend.  So cross your fingers for updates next week!

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2008, 08:34:07 am »
I NOW have the skills I need to do a complete restore or a complete scratch build.

Then you could just as easily have learned those skills butchering a generic cab that is of no historical importance.

I never purchased the original cabinet in hopes of having the original monitor working, nor have the galaxian game play. 

According to your original posts the Galaxian Game was playing!! just a dead monitor.

I don't understand why you feel the need to continue with the negative vibes at this point in the game; you have voiced your opinions and we're past that.

That's precisely the point. You don't understand what you have done to a piece of our heritage. To an item of historical importance. This is not about "negative vibes" it's about the destruction of another classic arcade machine.  You may be passed that... Many of us are NOT!  While I'll acknowledge that at the end of the day, the cabinet was your property and therefore legally you can do as you wish with it, I will not acknowledge that it is morally right or acceptable in any way to butcher an evidently restorable item like that, to build a Mame cabinet. This wilfull destruction brings this entire comunity into disrepute.

I pitty you, if you can not understand what it is you have done.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 08:38:04 am by Fozzy The Bear »
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

somunny

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2018, 02:22:25 pm
  • Is it hot in here?
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2008, 10:37:23 am »
You've thrown around the term "destroy" which is appropriately over-dramatic.  The basic structure of the cabinet as a whole has been preserved, if anything.

Fozzy, your posts read like a bad off-off- Broadway play.  We know your opinion.  Thanks for sharing.  Now, I'd say it's time to let it go.  Especially, given that you inexpicably bit your tongue and now, with this discussion seemingly over, appear to only be trying to stir the pot.

Just the two cents we're all entitled.

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2008, 11:06:51 am »
You've thrown around the term "destroy" which is appropriately over-dramatic.  The basic structure of the cabinet as a whole has been preserved, if anything.

You are indeed entitled to your two cents, as you say. and I respect your two cents.

But it's in no way over dramatic. The supply of original complete cabs is not inexhaustible. They were made in relatively limited numbers. Most of them are already gone. In a few years there will be no more of them. To destroy a complete one like this and then to come on here to brag about the supposed achievement remains very sad and depressing. I still weep for the loss of this classic.

And it does bring this forum into disrepute!

But for those of you that care nothing for our heritage, then feel free to do whatever you do. Just don't expect me to remain silent when you vandalise something like this.

Nuff said... The point is made!

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 11:08:30 am by Fozzy The Bear »

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Will game for food
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2008, 11:26:28 am »
Can we all please keep this thread focused on comments/questions pertaining to the build, and move all ethical debates to another thread?  I'm not asking you to not share opinions, I'm asking that we please respect the original topic of this thread, which was to highlight progress made on this current build.

Thanks in advance.

-csa

somunny

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2018, 02:22:25 pm
  • Is it hot in here?
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2008, 11:45:08 am »
Can we all please keep this thread focused on comments/questions pertaining to the build, and move all ethical debates to another thread?  I'm not asking you to not share opinions, I'm asking that we please respect the original topic of this thread, which was to highlight progress made on this current build.

Thanks in advance.

-csa

:cheers:   :)

dweebs0r

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 16, 2023, 04:49:40 pm
  • Ascendo tuum!
    • Jodys Garage Arcade
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2008, 12:04:32 pm »

Thanks in advance.

-csa

Very classy and professional response.  Cheers!   :cheers:

P.S.  I love the cabinet.  Great job.

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2008, 03:21:44 pm »
Rant moved to main forum in an effort to unbunch Sgt. McCoy's panties...

« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 11:09:26 am by FrizzleFried »
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Will game for food
« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2008, 04:03:30 pm »
Anyone looking for ethical debates, flame wars, or to speak out with all your veteran knowledge, please help the community grow by chiming in on the Complete Rule Book thread.  I've started one for you guys since apparently no one adhere to my request to quit cluttering up this thread.

thanks again
-csa

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2008, 04:14:30 pm »
Anyone looking for ethical debates, flame wars, or to speak out with all your veteran knowledge, please help the community grow by chiming in on the Complete Rule Book thread.  I've started one for you guys since apparently no one adhere to my request to quit cluttering up this thread.

thanks again
-csa

I think the original sized type would have sufficed. 

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Will game for food
« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2008, 04:30:18 pm »

thanks again
-csa

I think the original sized type would have sufficed. 

I think you could have read my above polite request to unclutter my thread..

Zakk

• Gosh, that's a real nice... ooh look, a penny! -- That Zakk is Just Mean
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:17:58 pm
« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2008, 04:40:49 pm »
Buddy, if you put a project up for opinions, you unfortunately can't dictate that you only want opinions that you agree with. Such is the nature of this hobby.

However, if you are putting reproduction galaxian artwork on the front and sides, then it's not too bad.  I mean, the original artwork was pretty rough.  I -might- suggest you put the original galaxian board back in it (I didn't read what you planned to do with the board), so that if someone really wanted to switch it back, it would be fairly easy.  The original board would be the tough part to find.  The way I look at it, if you keep the sides looking like stock, keep the original bezel and marquee, and the game board, then it's just a monitor, wiring harness and replacement control panel away from coming back to life (more or less). 

Just my $.02
Back for nostalgia, based on nostalgia.

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2008, 04:42:35 pm »
Rant moved to main forum...

« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 11:08:17 am by FrizzleFried »

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Will game for food
« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2008, 04:48:50 pm »
Buddy, if you put a project up for opinions, you unfortunately can't dictate that you only want opinions that you agree with. Such is the nature of this hobby.

Agreed.  I acknowledge the statements made by Fozzy and Frizzle, but we hashed these over months ago on page 1 or so.

However, if you are putting reproduction galaxian artwork on the front and sides, then it's not too bad.  I mean, the original artwork was pretty rough.

I have purchased all original full size vinyl printed reproduction artwork from Scott at MameMarquees.com, due to arrive next week.  The original marquee has been cleaned and polished, the retainers have been sanded to metal and repainted original black, I have re-painted the inside black areas because they were cracking and scratched.  The coindoor has been fully restored minus a metal screen printed plate (which I have been holding out on for restorations sake), and I even had ThisOldGame reprint a fresh Midway badge for the back. 

I -might- suggest you put the original galaxian board back in it (I didn't read what you planned to do with the board)

That board now lives happily with Peale.  No word on if it was fixable or not.

-csa

brandon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 03:08:43 pm
  • I <3 arcade games.
« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2008, 04:35:38 am »

Also,  as Zakk pointed out.  This IS a forum.  Don't like what I have to say?  Tell your troubles to Jesus...he listens (perhaps?!)...I don't.

yes it is a forum.. and people usually tend to stay on topic of the OP.  The morality of Maming a collectable is not the topic.  Also, calling somebody a --cream-filled twinkie-- or saying their project is asstastic isnt exactly appropriate either.  Like it or not the cabinet has been gutted, the artwork peeled of and its getting Mamed.  Perhaps you and Fozzy can take up donations to save #7533 and Csa3D will sell the cab to you guys.  Although there are lots of collectors that frequent this site its still called BYOAC and csa3D is building his own

This is exactly the sort of thing that gives us a very bad name in the restoration community of genuine collectors.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Since when did BYOAC become "the restoration community of genuine collectors" ???

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2008, 09:35:33 am »
This is exactly the sort of thing that gives us a very bad name in the restoration community of genuine collectors.

Since when did BYOAC become "the restoration community of genuine collectors" ???

I didn't say it was..... The restoration and collectors community exists outside of here as well as inside of here, and this appaling destruction is what gives BYOAC a bad name in it!

just because this is not a specific restoration community does not give people the right to destroy things. See the BYOAC mission statement written by Saint: "Please do be mindful that we don't destroy what we're trying to re-create.  Many classic arcade machines are rare and worth a heck of a lot more intact than altered." Destroying a more or less complete classic just so you can play games at home is NEVER OK.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

brandon

• Offline Offline
  • I <3 arcade games.
« Reply #109 on: February 04, 2008, 02:44:46 pm »
look, I'm a preservationist to a degree myself.. and I'm playing devil's advocate to some degree here.. I've done several restorations myself and its a very rewarding thing to be preserving a piece of American culture for future generations.

My whole problem with the arguement are statements like this...

just because this is not a specific restoration community does not give people the right to destroy things.

whether or not you like it or agree with it, folks have the right to do whatever they want with their own property. 

Many classic arcade machines are rare and worth a heck of a lot more intact than altered."

There's another debatable statement.  I have an empty Robotron 2084 cabinet, several Stargate cabs and a few Pac/Ms Pacman cabinet.  Most of them are conversions that have been painted over with black paint.  The Robotron is the best of the bunch and although it was converted to ...MORTAL KOMBAT (not by me!) the side art is perfectly intact.  I know if I tried to Mame it folks would kill me but if I tried to sell it as an empty cab I might get $50... You cant even buy enough plywood to build your own cab with $50.  Not to mention the other materials, time, effort, labors etc and some people flat out just dont have the tools or the know-how to do woodworking.  So as far as the question of worth... well, for $50 it wouldnt be worth it to me to start from scratch...  but sure, restoring it gives you all sort of warm fuzzies that money cant buy.

If you want to say to the guy "Man, that thing probably just needed a cap kit!  You probably could've fixed the monitor and turned around and sold that thing for 600-800 bucks!"   Fine, have at it.  but to question the man's ethics and act as some sort of moral authority of classic gaming... well, that I don't think is right

at least he didnt turn it into a couch... :D

« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 02:47:54 pm by brandon »

CrazyKongFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2017, 01:22:29 pm
« Reply #110 on: February 04, 2008, 07:22:08 pm »
I MAME'd a former Robotron cabinet, but it was completely gutted, the control panel drilled out with different relocated joysticks and buttons, CP covered over with new artwork, side art painted over with aqua blue, then black on top of it. About the only thing original inside was the Williams power supply and the glass bezel (which had the instruction card removed/painted over and a little flaking on the paint). I still have the power supply and haven't really done anything extra to to the cab, so I guess it could always be converted back if someone wanted to do the work. I've only drilled a couple of tiny holes for admin buttons (tab, esc and pause), but the CP would need to be replaced anyway on a restoration. The only other stuff in the cabinet was a Final Fight marquee and Final Fight PCB (which I assume is either non-functional, or not worth anything, or it wouldn't have been left in ;) ) I only paid 10 bucks for the cab at an auction, so the price was right. The bottom of the cab is a little rough too.

Avrus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2011, 09:17:25 pm
  • Canada
    • The Avrus Arcade Project 'Conquest'
« Reply #111 on: February 04, 2008, 10:21:44 pm »
Well I don't know if it's relevant or not ...

I do feel that a semi-rare or rare cabinet should be restored if possible.  That being said -- I tried to contact *ALL* of the owners of the trackball version of Rampart to see if I could get the side art recreated (furthermore so it would be available to others trying to reproduce it) and not ONE owner of the cabinet was willing to take the 5 minutes required to snap a picture and email it to me.

Not one.

Now imagine how pissed off I'd be if I had managed to snag a Rampart cabinet and was trying to restore it?

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: February 04, 2008, 10:28:44 pm »
not ONE owner of the cabinet was willing to take the 5 minutes required to snap a picture and email it to me.

Good job that's in hand now  ;)

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Avrus

• Offline Offline
  • Canada
« Reply #113 on: February 04, 2008, 10:43:00 pm »
not ONE owner of the cabinet was willing to take the 5 minutes required to snap a picture and email it to me.

Good job that's in hand now  ;)

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

;D

Avrus

• Offline Offline
  • Canada
« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2008, 11:09:21 pm »
Control panel and wiring look top notch!  :cheers:

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Will game for food
« Reply #115 on: February 05, 2008, 12:08:19 am »
Reproduction Art Arrives!

So tonight my full reproduction artwork from Scott at MameMarquees.com has arrived.   I'd order again in a heartbeat.  Controversy here or not, I am uber impressed!  I was not expecting it to look quite as nice as it did (I've seen some really horrible reproduction inkjet printed art at the auction house.)  The vinyl texture might be slightly off, but it is pretty darn close to looking like the torn up, vandalized, mess of art that used to be on the sides.   No one gets to see images now that you've all acted up so much!   :laugh2: 

Hopefully I'll get spare time this weekend to put it on and snap off a few.  I hope everyone settles down a bit after the next update, and sits back and starts to enjoy this project.  If not, f-it, the artwork reprint is gorgeous!

-csa

Avrus

• Offline Offline
  • Canada
« Reply #116 on: February 05, 2008, 12:13:59 am »

So tonight my full reproduction artwork from Scott at MameMarquees.com has arrived.   I'd order again in a heartbeat.  Controversy here or not, I am uber impressed!  I was not expecting it to look quite as nice as it did (I've seen some really horrible reproduction inkjet printed art at the auction house.)  The vinyl texture might be slightly off, but it is pretty darn close to looking like the torn up, vandalized, mess of art that used to be on the sides.   No one gets to see images now that you've all acted up so much!   :laugh2: 

Hopefully I'll get spare time this weekend to put it on and snap off a few.  I hope everyone settles down a bit after the next update, and sits back and starts to enjoy this project.  If not, f-it, the artwork reprint is gorgeous!

-csa

No pics of the side art = riot!!

Seriously though, I'd love to see some shots of the side art when you have a sec.  Once my unnamed benefactor  :applaud: is done with my artwork I'm going to be salivating to get it ordered from Mame Marquees.

brandon

• Offline Offline
  • I <3 arcade games.
« Reply #117 on: February 05, 2008, 12:19:20 am »

So tonight my full reproduction artwork from Scott at MameMarquees.com has arrived.   I'd order again in a heartbeat.  Controversy here or not, I am uber impressed!  I was not expecting it to look quite as nice as it did (I've seen some really horrible reproduction inkjet printed art at the auction house.)  The vinyl texture might be slightly off, but it is pretty darn close to looking like the torn up, vandalized, mess of art that used to be on the sides.   No one gets to see images now that you've all acted up so much!   :laugh2: 

-csa

you should've order Galaga artwork and did a conversion... LOL  that'd really get em torqued! ;)

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #118 on: February 05, 2008, 07:32:41 am »
you should've order Galaga artwork and did a conversion... LOL  that'd really get em torqued! ;)

Now that's just silly talk !  ;)
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Sir Auros

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 06, 2012, 12:13:00 pm
    • The Transformers Archive
« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2008, 01:17:09 am »
I would also like to see updated pics.