Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Boot CD installs DOS, Vantage, Raine, MAME (1 of 7 versions) and Game Launcher  (Read 137538 times)

spystyle

• Thanks alot, now I have to build a time machine and warn myself yesterday!
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2021, 02:30:18 pm
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 10:37:16 pm by spystyle »

spystyle

• Offline Offline
Cool. Next question. I know you are a Arcade only type guy for a cab but have you tried out any of the other Emu's that GL supports?

No.

How does a person go about adding those roms to your Boot cd set-up?

To add anything to the boot CD you would have to decompress the ISO, with magicISO, WinRAR, or similar. Then make your modifications, then update DOS.bat to reflect the new changes. Then open the original ISO with MagicISO (or similar) but overwrite it's files with the new modified files.

As for the modifications, you can add all kinds of emulators to GameLauncher. But each emulator needs a config file. Also, Glaunch.cfg must be aware of the emulators.

Making your own version of my disk would be very easy - just remove all the "options". It's the options that are very complicated to make. If you just make a disk that installs DOS, GameLauncher, and your emulators it would be easy.

The options are very important if you are distributing your disk - but if you are only making it for yourself, it doesn't need to be so versatile.

Cheers,
Craig

« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 11:35:36 am by spystyle »

spystyle

• Offline Offline

Oops, I found another "serious bug" and fixed it.

SpyStyle DOS boot CD
Version beta 1 M
78 MB, 7zip compressed, ISO disk image.
Kindly hosted by Saint here:
(EDIT : see first post)

On a lighter note - I took out all "zip" compression, this accomplishes two things. 1. The installation is faster because there is no "unzipping". 2. The download if smaller because 7zip can compress "non zipped" things better.

Please report any bugs, also feel free to make suggestions and requests.

Cheers,
Craig
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 10:13:28 am by spystyle »

tikbalang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 07, 2013, 05:04:54 pm
    • MAME BootCD's for DOS
i haven't gotten around to downloading your bootcd but here are some soundblaster tools that i have collected through the years:

sound blaster tools
- detects and enables soundcard
- sets blaster environment

sbdetect.exe
http://multimediaware.com/qv/qvfaq.html
http://www.multimediaware.com/qv/sbdetect.zip

setblast.exe v1.1.1
- taken from an old DOS game

sblaster.exe v1.1
- renamed, older version of setblast.exe

these were tested and worked on a friends pc. i don't have creative soundcards but these also work on mf1000/als100p isa cards.

i'm still on the lookout for a dos sb mixer to control volume.

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
Hey Spystyle,

I have just been trying out the latest version (L) of your BootCd and I have a couple questions or maybe bugs.

1. When I try to intstall the audio I get this afte picking option 2:

Installing Audio Systems.....Please Wait.....
Does DOSDVR specify a file name
or directory name on the target
(F = File, D = Directory)? _

I've never ran across this option before. Is it something new?

2. Did you take out the 3 free Roms? The option isn't there to even choose them anymore. It made it nice to test out the soundcards without installing extra roms.

3. I got the disk to work with Vantage, sound and all. It installed without a hitch. Eveything works nicely. But when I reformatted and tried to install mame on the same exact computer GL won't run any games. It just crashes back to the main menu.

"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

spystyle

• Offline Offline
tikbalang,

Thank you for helping. I will take a look at those.

Right now there is a program in the SB16 folder called diagnose.exe that detects that card's configuration (and probably writes to the autoexec.bat), but perhaps said program will work better.

Hey Spystyle,

I have just been trying out the latest version (L) of your BootCd and I have a couple questions or maybe bugs.

1. When I try to intstall the audio I get this afte picking option 2:

Installing Audio Systems.....Please Wait.....
Does DOSDVR specify a file name
or directory name on the target
(F = File, D = Directory)? _

I've never ran across this option before. Is it something new?

I will look into that... there may be a line missing in the bat file?

I googled it:

F = file, D = directory)

This means XCOPY cannot determine if you want the specified path designation entry to be sent to a filename on the target disk or to a directory.

From here:
http://www.dewassoc.com/support/msdos/xcopy.htm

So, it looks like an error in the bat file for that driver. I will fix it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

2. Did you take out the 3 free Roms? The option isn't there to even choose them anymore. It made it nice to test out the soundcards without installing extra roms.

Yes, those were not compatible with all versions of MAME available on the disk. It could cause confusion. Also, I think those games were poor.

3. I got the disk to work with Vantage, sound and all. It installed without a hitch. Eveything works nicely. But when I reformatted and tried to install mame on the same exact computer GL won't run any games. It just crashes back to the main menu.

I'll need to know exactly what you chose so I can try to replicate the problem. My first guess is try again with a different MAME : start with the most compatible (Dmame), after try the correct optimization (ie: Pentium MAME). Also make sure you chose a MAME version that matches the amount of RAM in the computer.

Some people had trouble installing newer versions of MAME with small RAM. Just because it's DOS doesn't mean you can run MAME version 100 with 32 MB RAM. So I put "recommend RAM" in the menu next to each MAME version. Try to chose a MAME version within the recommended RAM.

On the topic of Vantage. I think it's amazing that you can build a Vantage arcade machine using a Pentium 100! That emulator is incredibly fast. I wish all programs were so well optimized.

Happy gaming,
Craig
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 09:25:16 am by spystyle »

tikbalang

• Offline Offline
    • MAME BootCD's for DOS
on this page there is another SB tester and enabler:

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~jchap/tvprofd.htm

IG-88

• Offline Offline
Re: Boot CD installs DOS, Vantage, Raine, MAME (1 of 7 versions) and Game Launch
« Reply #167 on: September 01, 2007, 10:11:18 pm »
I tried the recommendations you gave and then tried combining different options and nothing worked. I then switched to a ISA Sound Blaster model ct2950 and it worked perfectly first time. I didn't even have too go thru that ISA test setup thing. It took < 5 minutes too install which was pretty sweet. I've even updated it too v.75 and still goes great. I'm not sure what it is with the PCI cards but I just don't have any luck with them. I should send them too you and let you try them out. See if they give you as much trouble.

I agree that Vantage is amazing. I cannot believe how good the games look on low end hardware. I'm now scrounging around all the Salvation Army's and Goodwill's in my neighborhood to find something real ancient to try it on.  ;D

Too bad it's not in development anymore. I'd like too see a hi-score.bat & some new games added too it.  :(
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

spystyle

• Offline Offline
Re: Boot CD installs DOS, Vantage, Raine, MAME (1 of 7 versions) and Game Launch
« Reply #168 on: September 01, 2007, 10:17:11 pm »
I think Peale is still developing drivers for Vantage. I think he was working on a Dig-Dug driver...

Ask in this thread:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=43344.0
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 01:21:02 pm by spystyle »

marksk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2016, 03:50:33 pm
Re: Boot CD installs DOS, Raine, MAME (1 of 7 versions) and Game Launcher
« Reply #169 on: September 28, 2007, 01:38:55 pm »
I will look into adding USB support as an option

(newbie alert!)
have you been able to add usb support?

i have an old ibm laptop (P2, about 500Mhz) that i would like to set up as a mame machine. i'm looking to wipe the hdd and this would be ideal.  i'd like to use a keyboard hack for the controls (keep cost down) but i can only use a usb keyboard, as there is no keyboard port in the back. if not, i'll have to use win2k.

thanks!!

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #170 on: September 29, 2007, 10:13:18 am »
I think Peale is still developing drivers for Vantage. I think he was working on a Dig-Dug driver...

Ask in this thread:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=43344.0

I maintain the official site (not that there's a lot of maintenance for something that gets no updates) but there hasn't been any work on VAntAGE in ages.  At least none that's been made aware to me.  lokki made the Black Hole driver (which was a direct plug in for the Galaxian driver) and attempted to get Dig Dug working (since it uses Z80 CPUs) but couldn't get it working. 

But hey...if anyone wants to give it the old college try, be my guest.

Crankshaft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2008, 01:39:21 pm
  • I've never lost an ambush.
Hey spystyle,

Did you ever get the issue with cartman222 worked out in which he had the following error?

shutting down allegro
exiting due to singal SIGSEGV
page fault

because I'm getting it too.  I get the splash screen for a few seconds, then my monitor shuts down.  If I hit F12 before the monitor goes blank that's the error I get.

I'm running a Dell GX115, with all PCI slots, and onboard sound.  I don't have a sound blaster card yet, I was just assuming that it would work without sound.  I'm going to pick one up in the next few days, has anybody got this to work with a PCI audio card yet?

Thanks a million for all your hard work on this.  You're a superstar!

Brian Z
Brian Z
GA->ME '99
MIN->N.O. '01

IG-88

• Offline Offline
This thing is real touchy about soundcards. I've gotten one to work with a PCI card but I don't remember what model # it was. Make sure it's a soundblaster. I'll have a look at what card I used on that one when I get a chance. I've had my best luck with ISA cards.
-HarumaN

spystyle

• Offline Offline
Brian Z,

IIR I got that error when using optimized MAME on a proprietary P2 (like a Compaq). Try it with DMAME.

Also, you must know your exact soundcard prior to trying the boot CD and choose the appropriate driver (or no driver, then install your own)

A quick Google search makes me think you have "Analog Devices AD1885 AC97 Codec" in that "Dell GX115" - did you turn "sound blaster emulation" on in the bios? Did you choose AC'97 soundcard from the boot CD?

Sound is the biggest hurdle when trying to get DOS MAME running on a computer. If you can't get DOS running on that, it looks like it could handle optimized Windows 98 pretty well. Feel free to e-mail me for more info.

Cheers,
Craig

Crankshaft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2008, 01:39:21 pm
  • I've never lost an ambush.
So you’re saying that the issue with my monitor shutting off could be the fact that I don’t have a proper soundcard with dos drivers?  I’m pretty sure I have the Analog Devices AD1885 onboard sound, but Dell’s bios has two options which are sound off, and on.  The owners manual calls the audio type “sound blaster emulation”, the controller “Analog Devices AD1885 AC97 Codec”, and the interface “PCI bus/AC97”.  I’ve checked the Dell website and they flat out say that there are no dos drivers for this onboard sound.  I will try to wrangle up a PCI soundblaster card if I can find one around here, and give that a go.  I would really like to make this work.  I’ll jack around a while and let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

Brian Z
Brian Z
GA->ME '99
MIN->N.O. '01

phipscube

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2010, 02:38:50 pm
Hey Spystyle, just want to say well done on making such a cool install disk. I've got MAME running great through it.

I have a little problem that maybe you guys can figure out...

I'm trying to get Consoles to run through GL as well as MAME and its proving to be a bit of a pain. I am intersted in Genesis and SNES mainly. I have Kgen98 for Genesis and zSNES for SNES configured up and its running fine, but I cant quit back to GL fully without first quitting the KGen98/zSNES GUI's. Does anyone know how this can be sorted out? There doesn't seem to be any post emu options in the GL configs to control what happens when the emulator running quits out (A feature i've seen in newer emu front ends like GameEx).

I've tried looking for mappers and special hacks for these emus but it seems only newer windows emus are catered for.

Overall if I can't get this running I vote for a special console SpyStyle Disc, I hope you still plan on making one  :)

spystyle

• Offline Offline
Howdy!

I'm glad you liked the disk.

You say your problem is The GUI (emulator) is having trouble exiting to the GUI (Game Launcher)... Well Game Launcher, as far as I know, supports "command line" emulators only. "Command line" meaning "no GUI".

Find the "command line" versions of the emulators you want - or maybe discover a way to disable the GUI (like Raine does).

Cheers,
Craig

phipscube

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2010, 02:38:50 pm
Yeah, I am trying DOS emus with GUI's. zSNES is "Natively" supported in GL configs, but it simply doesn't block the GUI, I need to figure out if thats possible some other way.

Its the same with Genecyst as well and I tried KGen98 as I wanted scanlines, but alas the GUI problem too. I think im just missing something and wondered if you knew what to do.

Thanks anyway :)

spystyle

• Offline Offline
I would advice you to use command line emulators only

IG-88

• Offline Offline
Off subject, but could you post your latest .iso Craig. I can't seem to find my copy.
-HarumaN

spystyle

• Offline Offline
Off subject, but could you post your latest .iso Craig. I can't seem to find my copy.

SpyStyle DOS boot CD
Version beta 1 M
78 MB, 7zip compressed, ISO disk image.
Kindly hosted by Saint here:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 10:14:00 am by spystyle »

IG-88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #181 on: February 24, 2008, 05:42:52 pm »
Craig,

I've been playing around with the CD again and ran into a weird issue.

After the soundcard option I get this screen:

Does DOSDVR specify a file name or directory name on the target (F = File, D = Directory) ?

What's this all about? Is there a preferred one to pick?
-HarumaN

spystyle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #182 on: February 24, 2008, 05:55:33 pm »
oops!

I found the problem:

xcopy /e x:\sound\dosdrv C:\dosdvr

should be

xcopy /e x:\sound\dosdrv C:\dosdrv

I am uploading a new version now.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Cheers,
Craig
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 06:01:52 pm by spystyle »

IG-88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #183 on: February 24, 2008, 06:03:50 pm »
Ya, I thought I ran into this before. And no. Either option makes the computer lock up right after the boot screen. I am using a mobo with onboard audio & video. What a PITA these are. If I could figure out how too disable these I think this may work. However finding a manual for it is pretty much out of the question.

Wonder what else I could use this for....
-HarumaN

IG-88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #184 on: February 24, 2008, 06:05:58 pm »
Wow, nice catch.
-HarumaN

IG-88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #185 on: February 24, 2008, 06:10:53 pm »
Hey, while I'm thinking of it. Is there a way, if I made a vertical boot screen for this thing, that you could add it as an option so when you install vantage or vertical mame that boot screen would come up instead of the horizontal one?
-HarumaN

spystyle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #186 on: February 24, 2008, 06:52:15 pm »
The long batch file is so tedious like that. Everything has to be perfect.

Thank you for catching that, you are a good beta tester :)

The new version, 1M, is here:

Thanks to Saint for hosting it :)

Cheers,
Craig

« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 10:14:32 am by spystyle »

spystyle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #187 on: February 24, 2008, 06:53:04 pm »
Hey, while I'm thinking of it. Is there a way, if I made a vertical boot screen for this thing, that you could add it as an option so when you install vantage or vertical mame that boot screen would come up instead of the horizontal one?

I don't see why not

ringram

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2021, 05:25:37 pm
How do you support networking in DOS? I've tried to set this up before, but had very little luck.

spystyle

• Offline Offline
How do you support networking in DOS? I've tried to set this up before, but had very little luck.

I don't know how... but why would you need networking on an arcade PC?

Cheers,
Craig

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness

I don't know how... but why would you need networking on an arcade PC?

Cheers,
Craig

If you had networking, you could add/modify files from a desktop.

spystyle

• Offline Offline
You might as well use an optimized Win98 or an Nlite'd XP if you want to perform high tech stuff like that. DOS is a very basic, simple OS.

Cheers,
Craig

ringram

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2021, 05:25:37 pm
I was wanting to share the drive and work on it from another computer. I know Microsoft had dos network support. I just haven't had much luck with it. For now, all I do is offer a menu on bootup to go into arcadeos or win98. So, it's a work-around, but, it would be nice if I could just share out the drive.

tikbalang

• Offline Offline
    • MAME BootCD's for DOS
there is a DOS ftp server called EZNOS:
http://www.dossolutions.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/eznos.htm

you can add the server as menu option in config.sys.

Mamezilla

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 05:37:24 am
Craig,

You did a hell of a good job with that ISO and I want to thank you for it.

However, I'm having problems  with Game Launcher that doesn't want to load at all.  When the commandline loading it arrives, the screen goes black and the computer freezes.  It's an AMD K6-2 500MHz with 256 megs of ram and and ATI Mach 64 video card.  I even was not able to get to the splash screen of GL, the screen goes black and the computer freezes before.

I've tried tried different install options with different emulators and different version of them, tried preventing SDD to load by putting a "rem" at the beginning of the command line in autoexec.bat, etc...  Everything I try gives me the same problem. 

The sound card is a SB 16 PnP and all settings are OK, it works.

Any suggestions ?
Don't throw rocks to a man with a machine gun
-- Rowdy Roddy Piper --

spystyle

• Offline Offline
Hi Mamezilla,

Sorry it didn't work for you. It sounds like that computer simply won't work with my disk.

You could try putting in a different video card if one is available. That would rule out video card incompatibility.

You could try Fraggle's disk and see if it gives you the same error.

You could put an optimized Win98se on that rig, I'd also bump the RAM up to 512 (these days that is a $5 endeavor) , and I would install MAME 36 set on it.

This would give you the option of MAME32 or GameLauncher for a GUI. Not to mention MALA, though I am not sure it would work well on 500mhz... But it's worth a try.

Feel free to PM me if you need the tutorial for Win98se that uses only 15 MB RAM, or any of the said software. Also there is a single file you need if using MALA with an old version of MAME, mention that in the PM if you need it.

Cheers,
Craig

Mamezilla

• Offline Offline
Well, looks like it was a video incompatibility with my ATI mach 64 PCI card.  The darn thing wouldn't work with or without the SSD driver.  I popped in an ATI radeon 7500 AGP card that I wanted to keep for another project and it worked.  However, SSD doen't want anything to do with it, it says that no VGA card was found.  I'll see how it works when I'm finished copying the other needed files.  I must say I'm currently using a 27 inch TV with an S-Video input as a monitor for testing.

I'll keep trying to get the Mach 64 working with it.  Tried looking for some DOS drivers but no luck for now.

Also Craig, you will have a PM from me about the Win98 tutorial and something else.

Thanks !
-- Rowdy Roddy Piper --

tikbalang

• Offline Offline
    • MAME BootCD's for DOS
check this part of glaunch.cfg:

Code: [Select]
#   0: Double Buffering
#   1: Page Flipping
animation_method = 0

in my case, it's the soundcard detection method that crashes glaunch. is there away to disable sound in glaunch at all?

how do you enable tv-out in dos?

Mamezilla

• Offline Offline
check this part of glaunch.cfg:

Code: [Select]
#   0: Double Buffering
#   1: Page Flipping
animation_method = 0

in my case, it's the soundcard detection method that crashes glaunch. is there away to disable sound in glaunch at all?

how do you enable tv-out in dos?

I didn't have to do anything to enable TV out in DOS with the ATI radeon 7500, it just worked.  Also, everything except one game that makes GameLauncher crash ( i don't remember which one) seems to work fine.

I my case, I also has problem with the detection of the soundblaster 16 ISA PnP card.  the diagnose app kept saying that the "set blaster" variable in autoexec.bat was invalid.  I was able to correct it by adding the following line in autoexec.bat:
C:\SB16\ctcm.exe
just before the C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S line.  In that case, ctcm.exe detects the SB PnP card and sets automatically the blaster variable.  After, the diagnose /s checks it and sees what ctcm.exe did, so the sound card works perfectly after that.  Maybe you could try this.  ctcm.exe is provided in by Spystyle's boot disk, it's in the sb16 directory.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 06:32:45 pm by Mamezilla »
-- Rowdy Roddy Piper --

tikbalang

• Offline Offline
    • MAME BootCD's for DOS
I didn't have to do anything to enable TV out in DOS with the ATI radeon 7500, it just worked.  Also, everything except one game that makes GameLauncher crash ( i don't remember which one) seems to work fine.

wow, you are lucky. you should try advancemame with your tv-out vidcard.