Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Boot CD installs DOS, Vantage, Raine, MAME (1 of 7 versions) and Game Launcher  (Read 137527 times)

spystyle

• Thanks alot, now I have to build a time machine and warn myself yesterday!
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2021, 02:30:18 pm
Spystyle, great work on the boot disk!

Thanks, I am determined to make DOS easy! I think DOS is very good for a cab, and a desktop operating system with unwanted bells and whistles is not as good. The only "problem" can foresee is the end user will have to buy a soundblaster 16 card weighing in at $5

But we'll see. Maybe I can get multiple soundcards working with Dmame, or other versions of MAME that are more versatile with sound card selection.

Too bad I don't have more time to spend on this project, as I write this I am about to go to work and just got back from errands - busy guy! But it keeps me out of trouble...

Quote from: clane
I have installed it using different options on several machines at home trying to find the best combo for an arcade cabinet with only 1 minor niggle (some drives won't boot from the disk).

It may be that the bios is not told to boot from CD-ROM first

It may also be that an old optical drive does not like "burned" disks. If this is the case I would try Ritek CDs in a fussy drive. I've heard that "TY" (from Japan) disks are even better. I am a Ritek guy myself. I like "Ritek G05" for all my DVD media, wether it's PC, consoles, or DVD movie players.

This problem seems to relate to the drive label (x:) in the dos.bat file.If I boot from a floppy disk & edit the .bat file to use the drive letter the boot disk uses, then save to (A:) or (C:) & run it , I get a perfect install.

You could boot from a Win98 startup disk that contains "xcopy"

use the disk to FDISK and "format /s" the hard drive. Then make a directory for the CD, then xcopy the CD to that directory, then go to that direxctory and type "dos" which will start the installation. Choose option 1 and do not format the hard drive.

Here is a startup disk that contains Xcopy:
http://tinyurl.com/5om4fg

Boot from that floppy and do something like this:

FDISK (check partition, create/ delete partition)

FORMAT C: /S (erase the hard drive, make it bootable)

MD C:\DISK (make a directory on hard drive called disk)

XCOPY D: C:\DISK /E ("D" is cdrom drive) (/E tells xcopy to include all subdirectories)

C: (switch to hard drive)

CD DISK (go to directory called "disk" that now contains the CD)

DOS (this is the command to start the CD's installation)

--------------------------------

Thanks for the question, because of it I will add xcopy to the root of the CD. People who can't figure out how to boot from CD can boot from any Win98 floppy, go to CD, and xcopy.

The only real issue I have had is not related to your boot disk at all-partial sound on space invaders.

Space invaders uses "samples", maybe that would help?
http://www.sys2064.com/samples.htm

Strangely, all the isa soundblaster cards in desktop PC's had this problem but my old toshiba notebook didn't. looks like the cabinet is going to have a notebook installed....

Cheers,
Craig

« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 02:17:19 pm by spystyle »

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
As for your video problem, try this version:
http://tinyurl.com/2mytko

Choose "No" for "Scitech Display Doctor" and tell me how it works.

Cheers,
Craig

That did it Craig.  Several cold and warm boots and the video is solid at startup.  It only take 28 seconds to boot to the menu screen and 20 of those are for the BIOS.  That means that my CF card only takes 8 seconds to load DOS and GL.  I haven't tested loading a game yet as I still need to load the roms but I am quite satisfied with the results so far.  Thanks for all your work on this. ;D

How did you make the logo screen?  I'd like to rotate that to the left so it is displayed correctly on the screen.

TTFN :cheers:
Kaytrim
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 10:36:33 am by Kaytrim »

spystyle

• Offline Offline
Hi Kaytrim,

LOGO.SYS is that picture. It's a 256 color bitmap with a resolution of 400x320.

If LOGO.SYS is not present in the root directory the Windows 98 logo will show.

I didn't make it, it was already in Fraggal's disk.

I have rotated it, see the attached file. Let me know how it works for you.

Thanks for the question, I have added left and right rotated LOGO.SYS files on the CD, under "extras" folder, for next revision.

Cheers,
Craig

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
Kaytrim,

Make sure to keep us posted on the load times for your roms. I'm really interested in how that compares to the HD loaded games.
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
I have copied the roms to the drive but they are not being recognized by GL while using scan.bat or mamescan.exe.  I have the roms in three seperate folders in the roms folder, 4-way, 8-way & tball.  I would really like to have these show up as seperate menus in GL if possible.  Any idea on the fix?

Thanks,
Kaytrim

spystyle

• Offline Offline
First of all, DOS folders must be 8 letters long or less.

yes:

c:\rotated\screen\shots

no:

c:\rotated screen shots

-------

So, make sure your rom folders are named accordingly.

Also, as far as I know GL can not do 3 different menus in it's current configuration. You would have to set it up as 3 seperate emulators. Refer to GL docs for the details.

It would take about an hour to set up, I think.

I personally would just leave all the roms together. Eventually you'll remember which controls go to which games.

Cheers,
Craig

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
Hi Kaytrim,

LOGO.SYS is that picture. It's a 256 color bitmap with a resolution of 400x320.

If LOGO.SYS is not present in the root directory the Windows 98 logo will show.

I didn't make it, it was already in Fraggal's disk.

I have rotated it, see the attached file. Let me know how it works for you.

Thanks for the question, I have added left and right rotated LOGO.SYS files on the CD, under "extras" folder, for next revision.

Cheers,
Craig

Craig, the rotated logo file doesn't work.  I am having other problems now with running a game in MAME and GL is still not creating a list of avaliable roms.  My MAME problem is that when I try to run a game (mame puckman) it sits there for a few seconds but then lists the files that should be in the zip as if it doesn't see them.  They are there however.  Any Ideas?

Kaytrim

spystyle

• Offline Offline
Are you sure they are in the correct directory?

C:\mame\roms

Are you sure the mame set matches the rom set?

As for the LOGO.SYS, I guess my theory was wrong, oops. I found a tutorial that should hep you make some:
http://www.nucleus.com/~kmcmurdo/win95logo.html

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
Yep they are in the c:\mame\roms directory and they still won't run.  The logo thing is not a big issue just a would-be-nice thing.

spystyle

• Offline Offline
Are they in "roms" and not in subdirectories?

You can check from C:> prompt like so:

cd mame\roms
dir/p

You should not see any directories <DIR>, only zip files

If mame roms are in the correct directory and mame can not launch them, you probably have a mis-matched version of mame and roms

For example : As far as I know MAME 1.00 can not use MAME .36 romset

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
That may be the case though I rebuild the entire set yesterday to .085 using clrmamepro and a rollback set.  MAME.085 is the version that I installed from your CD.  With the roms that you inlcude I am getting a divide by zero error.  I am going to copy the files from the CD back over to the drive and see what happens...  Ok things are working now. 

I still have problems with the game list generation in GL though.

Kaytrim

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
I got Game Launcher to use seperate lists for the 4-way, 8-way and Trackball lists the hard way.  I used the information in this thread.  However I still needed the roms in the base roms folder to run.  Now if I can get my mouse hack to work I am done.

Thanks Craig for making DOS and MAME easy to setup and use. :cheers:

Kaytrim

IG-88

• Offline Offline
Nice link on GL help Kaytrim! I can remember searching all over for stuff like that. Nice find!

Craig, earlier you said something about adding more DOS emus. Were you talking about console types? ie: SNES or NES or Atari 5200 ect. ect.? I have downloaded several but I've no time to try them out. Do you want to take a look at them? What all does GL like to run?
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

spystyle

• Offline Offline
I always felt that console games were meant to be played while sitting on the couch and arcade games were meant to be played standing up.

The emulators I was thinking of adding were arcade, starting with Vantage.

I will also make mame "optional" during install so the disk can be used to set up a dedicated vantage or raine cabinet. I will see what other emulators are good too.

MAME Raine and Vantage are all very good. The latter two are notable for their very low system requirements. I think Vantage can run 40 FPS on a Pentium 1 with 16 MB RAM.

I'll probably stop after I polish up the MAME, Raine, and Vantage install disk. I will focus on adding more sound drivers, like the AC'97 and other onboard drivers. Then be done with it. It's open source so someone can pick up the torch at that point if they like. (or at any point for that matter)

I just want to make DOS easy to add to my tutorial, that was a hurdle I've always thought about.

With DOS you can power your MAME cab with a $20 PC :) Almost every first time builder wants to build as cheap as possible, the most common question I get is "how much does it cost?" - which really translates to "what is the cheapeast working solution?".

I think the cheapest working solution is a Vantage bartop. I think you could build one for as little as $40 by getting free PC and monitor (quite possible these days) and using scrap wood (also quite possible, I see it on the side of the road sometimes, or your handy neighbor/dad might have some) then you only need a keywiz / keyboard hack and controls, also some acrylic and paint (hopefully they already have screws)

So that's my idea, but I am open to suggestions.

Cheers,
Craig

spystyle

• Offline Offline
Come to think of it - I could release two version of the disk. One as stated above (MAME, Raine, and Vantage all optional) and the other with every emulator that GameLauncher supports (no option)

This version would have it all, by default, and the end user could cycle through the emulators by pressing "P1 button 1" in GameLauncher. Or type "setupGL" at the C:> prompt and edit GameLauncher's config file - simply erasing the emulator names that they don't want on their cab.

This version would "have it all"

-----------

That would not be any more difficult than making a disk with 3 "optional" emulators. The batch file becomes very complicated when there are options. For example - the 3 optional emulators makes for 7 possible combinations - that's 7 separate glaunch.cfg files to make and have the corresponding file copied to the hard drive.

----------

Take a look at DOS.bat on the disk - it is becoming quite complicated.

The batch file is tricky too - if a single character is out of place it won't work. An example of how fussy it is:

CHOICE Please choose an option /C:123
IF errorlevel 3 GOTO endz
IF errorlevel 2 GOTO del
IF errorlevel 1 GOTO INST

works perfectly, but

CHOICE Please choose an option /C:123
IF errorlevel 1 GOTO endz
IF errorlevel 2 GOTO del
IF errorlevel 3 GOTO INST

does not work, it will automatically go to the next line. The difference is "1 2 3" versus "3 2 1". Fussy, huh?

Does anyone think a "have it all" version of the disk should be released, one that automatically installs about 10 emulators?

Cheers,
Craig

IG-88

• Offline Offline
YES, YES, YES!  :applaud: You could just add your own roms and snaps per emu just like you do with mame correct? That would be too cool!
-HarumaN

spystyle

• Offline Offline
OK, that will be the 2nd version of the disk.

Just don't make me play through the entire NES Metroid standing up

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
Keep the two versions of the disk please?  I don't need the console emus.  I plan on making a few cabs with your DOS setup and a CF card.  Now that I have worked my way through one the rest should be easier. ;D

TTFN :cheers:
Kaytrim

spystyle

• Offline Offline
Yes, I intend to keep (an finish) the initial version (3 optional emulators) and also make a 2nd version that installs everything GL supports (not optional).

Cheers,
Craig

IG-88

• Offline Offline
Hey Craig,

Hows this coming along?
-HarumaN

spystyle

• Offline Offline
Howdy,

I've been working on other projects, plus real life, plus work.

Yikes! I am a busy guy!

Do you have a specific request? I could add it quick and dirty maybe...

Cheers,
Craig

IG-88

• Offline Offline
No. Nothing in particular. I was just waiting on the 2 versions that you talked about above. But no hurries. I know how real life likes to get in the way.... ;)
-HarumaN

IG-88

• Offline Offline
Craig. Have you seen this yet:

http://www.steverox.info/hvlauncher

Might be something cool to add to this project......
-HarumaN

gonzo90017

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2019, 02:41:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Great find IG-88!

spystyle

• Offline Offline
Craig. Have you seen this yet:

http://www.steverox.info/hvlauncher

Might be something cool to add to this project......

oops, here is a quote from the website:

"HVLauncher runs in the Windows environment"

Apparently it's not for DOS

---------------------------------

I plan to Integrate Raine and Vantage. Make the disk so you can do this:

1. Install MAME only
2. Install Raine only
3. Install Vantage only
4. Install MAME and Raine
5. Install MAME and Vantage
6. Install MAME, Raine, and Vantage
7. Install Raine and Vantage

-------------------------------

I plan to integrate AdvanceMAME

"AdavnceMAME offers support for non-Sound Blaster sound cards as well as other tweaks. "

I will look into adding USB support as an option

Also consider calling your local computer shop, it's likely they can dig up a SB16 ISA card for you for $5...
I did go to on of my local shops and asked about ISA cards. They looked at me like I was from Mars...

That is funny!

-------------------

...BUT I still cant play the game through GameLauncher. I can play them staright from Mame but through GL when I press 1 or Ctrl the menu slides away but then just comes straight back...

That is because "Enter" is the key to launch games from GameLauncher. I changed the default keys (as seen in the readme during install)

Game Launcher's default keys in this release are:

up arrow = scroll up game list

down arrow = scroll down game list

right arrow = scroll down game list one page

left arrow = scroll up game list one page

enter = launch game

F12 = exit Game Launcher

Left CTRL = next emulator

-------------------------

Hey Spystyle, (1) when do you plan to implement the audigy drivers in the install? It would be much appreciated. Also, (2) perhaps a guide to changing the frontend or adding an option to install different frontends? Also, (3) I can't seem to get mamescan to work right, still not detecting any of my roms. Do they have to be for a certain Mame version? i wouldnt think that would affect glaunch seeing them. The roms are in the mame/roms folder and the glaunch cfg is set accordingly. Am i missing something easy?

(1) Done

(2) What frontend do you suggest?

(3) If MAMEscan doesn't detect your ROMs they are probably mis-matched from your chosed MAME version. The MAME version and ROM version must match.

ie : MAME .55 with Romset .55 (or very close)

If GameLauncher is not working - take it out of the equasion by testing mame directly:

From the C:> prompt, type

cd mame
mame digdug -soundcard 0

If this launches DigDug then MAME is working (atleast with that ROM) and MAMEscan *should* find DigDug
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 11:11:14 am by spystyle »

IG-88

• Offline Offline
That would be great! And did you know that GL has it's own screensaver? I wasn't even aware of it  ::) This Steven guy who built HVLauncher has his own screeny download for it too..! Sweet!
-HarumaN

esaelectrionics

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 11, 2013, 01:05:50 pm
thanks spystyle for all your work, it has helped me alot ;)

spystyle

• Offline Offline
You are very welcome. Though I am very busy with other projects and real life I hope to make DOS easy-peasy. I like how it can utilize inexpensive computers for our cabs. It's good to have options :)

Cheers,
Craig

esaelectrionics

• Offline Offline
You are very welcome. Though I am very busy with other projects and real life I hope to make DOS easy-peasy. I like how it can utilize inexpensive computers for our cabs. It's good to have options :)

yeah and dos mame runs more authentic for older games, so you win both ways!

spystyle

• Offline Offline
Re: Boot CD installs DOS, Raine, MAME (1 of 7 versions) and Game Launcher
« Reply #149 on: August 23, 2007, 08:31:36 am »
Alright, an update!

The last thing on Fraggal's boot disk that I hadn't replaced yet was the sound card drivers - and what a train wreck they were...

So I've replaced them. 

Here is the list of drivers now available on the disk:

SoundBlaster ISA
SoundBlaster Audio PCI 128
Creative AudioPCI
Sound Blaster 16 PCI
Sound Blaster PCI 128
Sound Blaster AudioPCI
Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI
Creative Vibra 128
Ensoniq's 1370, 1371, 1373, and 5880 chipsets
Sound Blaster Live! and Sound Blaster Audigy pci cards
VIA AC'97

I have only tested SoundBlaster 16 so far, so let me know how the others work out for you.

I feel the disk is starting to take shape nicely. Keep the suggestions coming and I will try to implement them when I have extra time.

Happy gaming,
Craig
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 12:44:24 am by spystyle »

gonzo90017

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #150 on: August 23, 2007, 12:22:24 pm »
Just wondering how Raine and Vantage integration are coming along?

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #151 on: August 23, 2007, 12:50:37 pm »
I wonder if FreeDOS would make a difference.

gonzo90017

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #152 on: August 23, 2007, 01:27:39 pm »
What are the advantages of freedos over dos?

spystyle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #153 on: August 23, 2007, 05:04:54 pm »
Just wondering how Raine and Vantage integration are coming along?

Raine is an option at install. I will eventually add Vantage too.

In this release you can:

1. Install MAME only
2. Install MAME and Raine

I wonder if FreeDOS would make a difference.

It's "open source", so you can download the ISO, extract it, and replace all the "M$ DOS" components with their "FreeDOS" counterparts. However I don't think there is any good reason to.

From a strictly mechanical point of view "If it 'aint broke, don't fix it"

I know it's very virtuous in concept, but I can't imagine it's 100% compatible.

Cheers,
Craig
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 06:49:02 pm by spystyle »

spystyle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #154 on: August 25, 2007, 01:04:51 am »
OK, a big update.

The disk now has Vantage, Raine, and MAME. All optional during install :)

-------------------------------------
Here is the new readme:
-------------------------------------
SpyStyle boot CD, beta 1 J
August 24 2007
spystyle@yahoo.com

1. What is it?
This is my version of Fraggal's famous boot CD. With it you can get your DOS based arcade machine running with no knowledge of how to operate DOS!

2. What does it do?
It installs DOS 7, emulator(s) that you choose*, Game Launcher (front end), Sound drivers***, CD-Rom driver, Scitech display doctor (video driver), mouse driver, and some useful batch files to automate DOS tasks**

*you can choose from

1. Install MAME only
2. Install Vantage only
3. Install Raine only
4. Install Vantage & Raine
5. Install MAME & Vantage
6. Install MAME & Raine
7. Install MAME & Vantage & Raine

If MAME is chosen these releases are available to choose from:

1. MAME .36
2. MAME .55
3. MAME .65
4. MAME .75
5. MAME .85
6. MAME .95
7. MAME .100

and each release has the follwing versions to choose from:

1. Pentium II / III / 4 or Celeron (i686)
2. Pentium I (i586)
3. DOS MAME (best compatibility)

**you can automatically do the following at the C:> prompt (notice, all commands are without quotes)

"update" to add ROMs and snapshots from CD-Rom. This command will copy all contents of a CD to the mame directory exactly as is (so put your ROMs in a  folder called "roms", and snap shots in a folder called "snaps")

"updateR" same as above but for Raine

"updateV" same as above but for vantage

"setup" to manually edit mame.cfg (MAME's configuration file)

"setupR" to manually edit raine.cfg (Raine's configuration file)

"setupV" to manually edit vantage.cfg (Vantage's configuration file)

"scan" to run Game Launcher's "MAME scan". This is done once, after you copy your ROMs, so Game Launcher will know what ROMs are present.

"setupGL" to manually edit glaunch.cfg (GameLauncher's configuration file)

"scandisk" Will check your hard drive for data errors and physical damage.

"speed" "quality" and "default" to optimize MAME. If your games are running slow try typing 'speed', on a fast computer try typing 'quality', or return to default by typing 'default'
(see explanation below at #7)

***Supported sound cards:

SoundBlaster ISA (recommended)
SoundBlaster Audio PCI 128
Creative AudioPCI
Sound Blaster 16 PCI
Sound Blaster PCI 128
Sound Blaster AudioPCI
Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI
Creative Vibra 128
Ensoniq's 1370, 1371, 1373, and 5880 chipsets
Sound Blaster Live! and Sound Blaster Audigy pci cards
VIA AC'97

3. Required hardware:
A computer with CD-rom drive, hard drive, and a sound card.

4. Why?
After trying to simplify DOS install, to illustrate in my arcade building tutorial, I came across Fraggal's boot CD. It had an exceptional concept but was very limited. Only the "foundation" from his original disk remains, I have replaced everything else. What is the concept? A CD that installs DOS and your emulator for you! You don't need to know how to operate DOS :)

Why DOS?
DOS is great for an arcade machine!
No Windows to crash and take a long time to load.
No Windows to hog system resources with things that aren't needed on a cab.
DOS can turn an old "anchor" computer into the "engine" of a home arcade machine.

One of the most common questions I am asked is "How much does it cost to build an arcade machine?". That really translates to "What is the least expensive method?". With DOS you can use a very inexpensive PC to play games on your arcade machine.

Or maybe you just like DOS because it is simple, small, and fast.

5. This is "beta" software, so if something is brok3n let me know and help me fix it :)

Contact: spystyle@yahoo.com, please title the e-mail "arcade"

---------------------------------------------------------------------

MAME emulator is optional during install

*To use MAME*

1. Insert a CD containing MAME roms in a folder called 'roms'
and optionally a folder called 'snapshots' containg the snap shots

2. type 'update' at the C:> prompt to copy the files to raine directory

3. after, type 'scan' at the C:> prompt. This is done once so GameLauncher will know what MAME roms are present.

3. In GameLauncher press 'Left CTRL' to change the game list to MAME

4. You can edit MAME's configuration file by typing 'setup' at the C:> prompt.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raine emulator is optional during install

*To use Raine*

1. Insert a CD containing Raine roms in a folder called 'roms'
and optionally a folder called 'snapshots' containg the snap shots

2. type 'updateR' at the C:> prompt to copy the files to raine directory

3. In GameLauncher press 'Left CTRL' to change the game list to Raine

4. You can edit Raine's configuration file by typing 'setupR' at the C:> prompt.

Vantage emulator is optional during install

*To use Vantage*

1. Insert a CD containing Vantage roms in a folder called 'roms'
and optionally a folder called 'snapshots' containing the snap shots.

2. type 'updateV' at the C:> prompt to copy the files to Vantage directory

3. In GameLauncher press 'Left CTRL' to change the game list to Vantage

4. You can edit Vantage's configuration file by typing 'setupV' at the C:> prompt.

7. What does the MAME "optmizations" do?

It automatically changes these lines in mame.cfg

"fast"
triplebuffer = no
samplerate = 11025
resolution = 320x240

"quality"
triplebuffer = yes
samplerate = 44100
resolution = auto

"default"
triplebuffer = no
samplerate = 22050
resolution = auto

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notice:

I have set up mame's configuration file to expect a "sound blaster 16" sound card

This is a line in mame.cfg

If you are not using "sound blaster" sound card you must edit mame.cfg line:

soundcard 1

to edit mame.cfg type "setup" (without quotes) from c:> prompt

Here are mame's soundcard codes:

0. Silence
1. Sound Blaster
3. Pro Audio Spectrum
4. Ultrasound Max (CS4231 codec)
5. Ultrasound
6. Windows sound system
7. Ensoniq Soundscape

Example, if you have an Ultrasound card you would change the line to:
soundcard 5

Note:
Running "optimizations" will reset mame.cfg to soundcard 1, so you will have to edit this line every time you run an optimization.

Notice: I have set up Raine and Vantage to expect a "soundblaster 16" sound card. If you are using a different sound card you must edit their configuration file to reflect the sound card you have. Type 'setupR' to edit Raine's configuration and 'setupV' to edit Vantage's configuration.

How to run MAME and Game Launcher "vertically"

It's very easy to rotate the screen in DOS. You just have to tell mame (mame.cfg) and your front end (in Game Launcher's case glaunch.cfg) that you have a vertical cab.

Edit those two files and you're vertical.

I'll do it now on my virtual PC MAME 36:

type 'setup' at the C:> prompt

change the following lines:

ror = ('yes' if rotate right, 'no' if rotate left)                   
rol = ('yes' if rotate left, 'no' if rotate right)

then to save and exit - press 'alt' 'enter' scroll down to 'exit' and press 'enter' twice

then type 'setupGL' at the C:> prompt

change the following lines:

menu_orientation = 1

Notice : if you run "optmiziations" you will have to re-edit mame.cfg each time (by typing 'setup' at C:> prompt)

Note : Vantage and Raine can also be run vertically

---------------------------------

Scitech display doctor (SDD)

I have included SDD as a generic video card driver. We all use a sound card driver so why not a video card driver? It is optional during install. In many cases it will speed up the video, but in some cases it may cause trouble.

It requires registration. All information must be capitalized. The registration information for it is:

"full name of owner"
MAME     

"registration ID"
00000-BACF0141-00000

If you messed up the registration at install you can try again later by typing "reg" (without quotes) at the C:> prompt.

Happy Gaming!
Craig

p.s.

Legal:
This disk contains files from Windows 98 CD, do not use it unless you own a copy of Windows 98  - Most of us have that disk so it's not a big deal, if you don't have it you can pick up a used copy at the local computer store for a few dollars.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 12:09:33 am by spystyle »

esaelectrionics

• Offline Offline
 :cheers: just downloaded it, gonna try it L8r on today, well done!

spystyle

• Offline Offline
Groovy, let me know how it works out for you.

IG-88

• Offline Offline
Craig,

I got a question about Vantage. Can I install any vertical game with this or will it only run the  supported games that it says on the Vantage website?
-HarumaN

spystyle

• Offline Offline
As far as I know, any emulator will only play it's officially supported ROMs.

But I bet there is a way to convert MAME ROMs into Vantage and Raine. I don't know, I already have just about every ROMset on the planet so I don't do that.

I just searched at [romsite name redacted] and found Raine.

As for Vantage, I have the 1.11 set and it is only 2 MB, e-mail me for it (only if you own the original arcade baordsets ofcourse)

Have you seen how fast Vantage goes on a Pentium 1?
http://www.mameworld.net/pc2jamma/vantage7.html

Cheers,
Craig

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 02:08:26 am by PL1 »

IG-88

• Offline Offline
Cool. Next question. I know you are a Arcade only type guy for a cab but have you tried out any of the other Emu's that GL supports? How does a person go about adding those roms to your Boot cd set-up?

ps. Yes, I checked out the speed of Vantage over the other 2. Thats sweet. How do you suppose it achieves that?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 10:58:21 pm by IG-88 »
-HarumaN