Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Control Panel Opinion  (Read 6429 times)

cadis12

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2014, 12:43:05 pm
    • My machine
Control Panel Opinion
« on: October 04, 2006, 02:40:05 pm »
Let me start by saying great book.  Been following it very closely.  Biggest problem so far was attaching the front door with hinges.  Man, what a pain. 
Anyway, I am getting ready to add the controls to the control panel.  I plan on following the books control panel design.  I'm curious if anyone else that followed the book looks back and wishes they would have made changes to the control panel design that is offered in the book?  I noticed that the Project Arcade design does not have dedicated buttons for the trackball, spinner or 4-way stick.  Is this something I want to consider?  Overall I really like the Project Arcade design.  Looks nice and clean.

I was thinking of somehow adding a top fire joystick near the top of the panel to play Tron.  Opinions?  Suggestions? 

Thanks.

ChicagoDave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2023, 11:08:23 am
    • Dave's Website
Re: Control Panel Opinion
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 06:55:39 am »
Let me start by saying great book.  Been following it very closely.  Biggest problem so far was attaching the front door with hinges.  Man, what a pain. 
Anyway, I am getting ready to add the controls to the control panel.  I plan on following the books control panel design.  I'm curious if anyone else that followed the book looks back and wishes they would have made changes to the control panel design that is offered in the book?  I noticed that the Project Arcade design does not have dedicated buttons for the trackball, spinner or 4-way stick.  Is this something I want to consider?  Overall I really like the Project Arcade design.  Looks nice and clean.

I was thinking of somehow adding a top fire joystick near the top of the panel to play Tron.  Opinions?  Suggestions? 

Thanks.

I followed the books CP layout pretty closely.  The buttons above the trackball are actully mouse buttons, so you can say those are your "trackball buttons".  I have not run into any button problems, so I would say the layout works out just fine. 

I did not include the dedicated 4-way joystick.  I went with the Ultimarc Mag Stick Plus on the right side instead.  It switches from 4-way mode to 8-way mode via the top of the panel.  It works, but I probably would go with a dedicated stick next time.

On the right side I used a Happ Top Fire, which also works out great.
Homer Simpson:
"Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems."

cadis12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2014, 12:43:05 pm
    • My machine
Re: Control Panel Opinion
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 11:15:44 am »
On the right side I used a Happ Top Fire, which also works out great.

I was thinking the same thing.  Replacing one of the Supers with the Top Fire.  Are you able to play TRON with that set up?