Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cabinet Wiring Advice / Suggestions  (Read 2883 times)

GGKoul

• Cheesecake Apprentice
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2019, 05:47:30 pm
  • I was once a big man!! -4700 posts later...
Cabinet Wiring Advice / Suggestions
« on: April 03, 2002, 08:58:59 pm »
Now that I have completed the majority of the construction work on my cabinet.  I'm just looking for some advise / suggestion on how to wiring "power" to my various compents in my cabinet.  

As I'm planning to have the following "power" items in my cab:
- Light for marquee
- Power supply for computer
- Power for PC Monitor
- Exhaust fan on top of cab

I'm basically looking for a way (hints) on how to wire everything to one switch.  But mainly have an external switch to power on/off the computer.  

I assume the easiest thing to do is to have a power bar inside the cabinet offering continuous power.  And a separate external switch for the marquee light and another one for the CPU.  And for the CPU, I would just expand the wires from the MB to an external switch.  It just seems too simple...  But is simple the best solution?

So I guess I'm looking for and open to wiring suggestions and ideas.

Thanks for your assistance!!
-GGKoul

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

GGKoul (Gus)

Re: Cabinet Wiring Advice / Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2002, 07:49:13 am »
Another question:

I just recieved my NEW 56 input IPAC and I've seen some projects use a "wiring block" as a buffer between the IPAC and the controls and buttons.

Why would you do that? I mean, is there a benefit wiring to a wiring block?  As I was orginally planning to wire the controls and buttons directly to the ipac.

Thanks
-GGKoul

JustMichael

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2015, 01:19:40 am
  • Mmmmm!! Cheesecake!!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2002, 09:39:50 am »
Another question:

I just recieved my NEW 56 input IPAC and I've seen some projects use a "wiring block" as a buffer between the IPAC and the controls and buttons.

Why would you do that? I mean, is there a benefit wiring to a wiring block?  As I was orginally planning to wire the controls and buttons directly to the ipac.

Thanks
-GGKoul

Wiring the I-PAC to a strip provides a very solid way to secure the wiring without putting stress on the I-PAC.  It is mainly used when you are wiring to a connector so that you can have swappable control panels.  No matter how hard you happen to pull on the wiring while plugging and unplugging, you won't hurt the I-PAC.

JustMichael

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2015, 01:19:40 am
  • Mmmmm!! Cheesecake!!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2002, 10:12:02 am »
Now that I have completed the majority of the construction work on my cabinet.  I'm just looking for some advise / suggestion on how to wiring "power" to my various compents in my cabinet.  

As I'm planning to have the following "power" items in my cab:
- Light for marquee
- Power supply for computer
- Power for PC Monitor
- Exhaust fan on top of cab

I'm basically looking for a way (hints) on how to wire everything to one switch.  But mainly have an external switch to power on/off the computer.  

I assume the easiest thing to do is to have a power bar inside the cabinet offering continuous power.  And a separate external switch for the marquee light and another one for the CPU.  And for the CPU, I would just expand the wires from the MB to an external switch.  It just seems too simple...  But is simple the best solution?

So I guess I'm looking for and open to wiring suggestions and ideas.

Thanks for your assistance!!
-GGKoul

What I did was take a 15' heavy-duty black extension cord and chopped off the end.  I then wired the neutral (white) and ground (copper) to an outlet I put inside the cab.  I then took a piece of romex (wire for a house) and connected the black wire from it to the black wire on the cord.  I then ran the romex up to a black rocker switch (Home Depot SKU #541265) that I put into the "ceiling" of the play area of the cab.  My switch didn't have any words on it (just black).  I connected the black wire to one side of the switch and connected the white wire to the other side (I am using the white wire in the romex as a 2nd black wire).  I then connected the white wire from the romex to the black side on the outlet.  I plug everything into a surge protector that is plugged into the switchable outlet.

I also replaced the marquee light and the one behind the controls with under-cabinet fluorescents.  I was able to use the mounting holes for the control area one but for the marquee one I had to screw through the plastic side to mount it.  The cab looks sooo much better with good lighting.  The fluorescent lights were from Home Depot as well (sku #380970) and were only $7 each.

Check to see if you computer's bios has a setting for turning on when power is applied or turning on with a keypress.  Either of these will provide a way to turn on the computer easily.

As for your exhaust fans,  you could extend the wires on a couple case fans and put them at the top of the cab.  Since they would be wired to the pc for power everytime the pc comes on, the fans would start blowing the air out of your cab.

Elkor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2007, 12:42:50 pm
  • What did I just say?
    • Full Circuit
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2002, 10:40:16 am »
you could just add a pushbutton to the cab and wire it to the ATX board's "pwr switch" leads.  
Then, get yourself a "monitor power cord" it looks like a regular pc power cord but on the end that would go into the wall there is a female connector that attaches to that 'other' connector on the back of your pc's power supply (the one that nobody ever uses).  That outlet is switched and will come on and off w/the pc power supply.  just cut the end off the monitor power cable and wire it into a powerstrip and plug in your marquee lights, monitor, etc.

There you have it! one button all powered up.
(and an arcade button to boot!)

-C
The sudden sight of me causes panic in the streets. They have yet to learn
-- only the savage fears what he does not understand.
                -- The Silver Surfer

Jonathan_the_Red

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Never
  • Cab-buildin' fool
    • Jonathan's Cab-in-progress
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2002, 11:44:32 am »

I'm basically looking for a way (hints) on how to wire everything to one switch.

bowmand1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Never
  • need help with a console controller hack? write me
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2002, 12:18:54 pm »
I'm not sure if it totally applies in your situation, but I'm gonna chime in.  My cab has the original arcade power switch mounted in the routed hole on top of it, and it's a SPDT (I think that's the designation) which is the same style switch as my PC power supply (AT-style), so I just extended the lines from the power supply up to that switch, and voila! realistic arcade powerup!  Then I'm using 12vdc from the power supply to run a pair of PS cooling fans that I "borrowed" from other PSs, mounted on the back panel at the bottom, blowing inward, to displace the hot air with cool from near the floor.

On top of this, the AT-style power supply has a 110vac output (for booting up your monitor when you turn on your puter... you know what I'm talking about)...  well, I bought a florescent fixture from Home Depot that is switch controlled (not momentary button), and hacked a cable to that AC output, so whenever I flip the switch, my fans, internal lights, coin lights, marquee, and all turn on at once.  It's pretty nifty.

Enough jibber jabber...  I hope this helps a little... if you have questions, write me or post here
"you put our TV into WHAT?!"  --Rachel, my fiance, who doesn't even live with me...  (OUR TV? sheesh)