Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Plywood as a Corner Support?  (Read 3111 times)

TehJefe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2006, 11:54:05 am
  • Oh Tyler, save me! Deliver me!
Plywood as a Corner Support?
« on: September 21, 2006, 01:53:15 am »
Kyle's Ms. Pacman Cocktail instructions, though extremely helpful, have left me with questions once again.
The plans say that I need 4 pine blocks, each 3/4"x 2" x 4".  Its not so much that Im stingy and I dont want to spend the extra money on more wood, or even that Im lazy and dont wanna drive all the way down to OSH for just 8" by 16" of wood... the truth is, Im just curious. I have plenty of Plywood left over from the 4x8 sheet I cut the sides and bottom out of, is there any reason he doesnt just suggest that I use that?

TehJefe

• Offline Offline
Re: Plywood as a Corner Support?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 12:48:02 pm »
Nevermind, its more than just plain curiousity: its a matter of life and death! If I dont know the answer to this, not only will I not be able to finish my cabinet, but a bunch of austrian guys will attack it with sledge hammers!

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2022, 07:33:24 pm
  • Routers can do anything.
    • SimpleCase Custom Arcade Stick Enclosures
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 03:19:29 am »
Plywood would make fine corner braces as it's more rigid and durable than pine blocks. Pince can compress very easily. Any project that requires braces, for me at least, would get red oak braces instead of pine.

It's 9am. I'm calling it a nite.

WaRpEd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2022, 12:00:41 pm
  • The older I get the better it was!!
    • Warped products
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 08:55:06 pm »
Personally I use poplar or a good grade of plywood for corner blocks 3/4 inch square by what length you need. Use a urethane or wood glue and tack in place with brad nails or screws. Makes a nice strong corner.
Cheers
There are three kinds of people in the world those that can count and those that can't.

TehJefe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 12:58:21 am »
Hey thanks a lot, fellas. I used some of my spare plywood and it turned out just fine.
Only problem I encountered was splitting, but stepping up the size of the drillbit for the pilot holes fixed that so Im a-okay.