Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: the Extend-0-Panel  (Read 20990 times)

_) (V) (-)

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2018, 11:56:39 am
  • There's supposed to be an earth shattering KaBoom!
the Extend-0-Panel
« on: September 18, 2006, 03:51:50 pm »
<cue cheezy fanfair music>

Introdicing...

<Duh duh dunnnn!>

the A M A Z I N G  . . .

Extend-0-Panel
~or~
Retract-A-Tron
whatever name isn't copyrighted by someone already

[insert cool animated picture of working unit here]

by Ronco

Hey,

Kinda anti-climatic isn't it?

Well, maybe you can help me fill in the missing picture above...

Got this cabnet I've been working on. Nothing fancy but it's cool to me and the kid. Used to be a rackmount audio equipment cab. There are some old pics and info about it in this 'intro' thread if you want some of the history . . .
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=57909.0

I'd say it's mostly complete (in that it's running and the buttons function) But I am needing to get my Control Panel cutout and done up. Also have a lot of final 'fit & finish' stuff to do but that'll all magically happen later. Right?  ;)

Anyways, I've convinced myself a 'retractable' control panel for this thing would be the best solution for us. I'm happy with the idea but still willing to explore options as I'm not 100% sure it'll all work as planned.

I'd really like to hear some input from you guys with the benefit of experience before I turn this thing into sawdust and bad memories.
And please understand, I value your brutal honesty, just keep in mind I am more interested in function over form and keeping this thing reasonably priced.

After seeing some of the awesome cabs you guys have built, I can't help but feel a bit like Wayne  :notworthy: & Garth  :notworthy: meeting Alice Cooper.  >:D
But still hope I can tempt a few of you guys into telling me somethin' here.

OK, lets meet the cabnet . . .

« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 07:38:08 am by CykoMF »

Lutus

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2012, 10:58:10 am
  • "I love my Power Glove. It's so BAD!"
Re: Extend-0-Panel ~or~ Retract-A-Tron
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 03:59:42 pm »
Ahhh... marble!!!

Just kidding...  I think that is pretty sweet how the controls are recessed personally.  When you say you want them to extend could you be a bit more specific on their "extended" position relative to their "retracted" position?
-----------------------------
www.justin.tv/lutus8
www.encoreinstruction.com <-- for my fellow musicians

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 04:10:19 pm »
Simple 2 player cabnet, wanted to do 6 buttons but was squeezed pretty tight, (it's only 20" wide) and I thought I'd like the 1 button for each finger idea. Great for keyboard players, not for anyone else, due to popular demand this will change, hopefully for the better.

You'll notice I went through the trouble & expense of obtaining some of that fine black marble sticky paper a lot of you guys are so fond of. If nothing else, I'm hoping this will intice you guys into helping me get the actuall CP built and installed ASAP. "I have a lot left over, and I'm not afrade to use it!"

Don't worry about the keyboard, that'll go away (via a flip down tray) once I decide where exactly the coin door will be placed in the front panel, before mounting the pc, etc...

Anyway, here are a couple pics to try and illistrate what all this hyp-o-nated supper-babble is all about...

Imagin if you will, a 26" wide 2 player panel with about 2 1/2" overhang from the sides of the cabent edge and a 3" facing. There are some buttong and joysticks mounted on the plain and in the back is another panel with a few (admin) buttons on it. 

Now, lets say you and a friend want to sit at the cabent (cuz standin' is for loosers who couldn't get a seat!) but, your short little T-rex arms can't reach the buttons.

BAM!

I still have to figure out some of the angles, arcs and such. (Hope that old geogrophy book is still around here someplace) and get the exact depth needed figured in but let me hear from you guys.

Please, tell me now if I should even consider this idea or not!

All I ask is to be prepaired to explain your answer to a complete moron (even though some of my parts are missing) in reasonably plain english. Nothing deep and meaningful, just why you answer the way you do.

Be frank, I respect the truth.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 08:20:02 am by CykoMF »

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 04:11:37 pm »
Dang Lutus,
'Let-Us' type the rest of the post here.
j/k ;)

These pictures should speak volumes more than I can begin to explain.

The basic idea is to put the thing on roller bearing drawer slides, with a hinged back panel.

We eagerly await your replies.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 04:17:20 pm by CykoMF »

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 08:27:39 am »
Aww C'mon you guys,
90+ views and only 1 reply . . .

I figured that 'bag of skittles spilled onto fine Itallian marble' look would get me some attention for sure.

Y'kno, like, "Dam, this guy needs our help, badly!"

I guess it would help if I described the types of questions I have about this idea. Like, Are there any issues with the encoders getting 'jostled' around after mounting?  Any serious cable flexing issues?

Ooh, here's a good one. What about leverage on the CP when extended. Let's say your getting into a real heated game of MK or something and start to wailing on the CP?

Anyone with an extended CP ever have any 'tipping' problems in this scenario?

NightGod

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2017, 06:59:58 pm
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 08:58:36 am »
Mmm-Skittles.

Now I'm hungry.

I think you'll avoid most of the cable flex issues just by mounting the encoder in the area that contains the buttons-that way the only cable moving is the one that runs from encoder to computer. Compensating for that should be easy enough.

I don't know of anyone with an extendable CPO to be able to give you any insight on tipping issues, but you might end up having to drop some sandbags or cinder blocks in the bottom to prevent that-only way to know will be once you have it built and do some testing.
$6.75 the hard way-one quarter at a time.

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 02:00:48 pm »
Dang Lutus,
'Let-Us' type the rest of the post here.
j/k ;)

These pictures should speak volumes more than I can begin to explain.

The basic idea is to put the thing on roller bearing drawer slides, with a hinged back panel.

We eagerly await your replies.

The rail slides used on server racks lock into place when a server is fully extended, and of course they're made to manhandle 75-pound servers.  That may be your best bet.  Check eBay.
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

theCoder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 07:09:10 pm »
I've used the guides Chris is referring to and man are they stout.  Whatever you do, make it strong.  If you can't come up with industrial grade runners, I'd double up on the home cabinet grade ones.  You also want some sort of locking mech. to keep it in place (both in and out).

As far as the cable goes, I'd recommend having the fewest # of cables involved.  On my first  cab, I had two pieces of 25 conductor cable running from the CP back into the cab.  One had a male and the other a female 25 pin D connector.  This allowed me to easily unplug the cables to remove the CP, and the polarity made sure I always plugged in the correct cable when re-installing.  You could also use some flexible wire conduit to keep the wires together as one bundle.  I'm not sure what it is called, but it looks like a flexible plastic pipe that has been cut in a spiral.  It works great to bundle wires.  Put in an extra couple of feet, a couple of soft springs (or section of bungy cord) and you should be good.

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 07:31:10 pm »
As far as the cable goes, I'd recommend having the fewest # of cables involved.  On my first  cab, I had two pieces of 25 conductor cable running from the CP back into the cab.  One had a male and the other a female 25 pin D connector.  This allowed me to easily unplug the cables to remove the CP, and the polarity made sure I always plugged in the correct cable when re-installing.
I also use the DB25 cable, but now that I'm going to run LED's to the panel I'm thinking of switching it over to 50-pin telecom connectors.

http://www.telephoneparts.com/product/Telecom/Cables+-+50+Pin+Telco+Type
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 12:57:24 am »
If you go with this type of connector, I would not not try to wire the connectors.  It takes special tooling.  Instead, I'd recommend getting a six foot cable with a male connector on one and female on the other.  Cut it in the middle, (or towards whichever end you need the least length).  Also, there is a wire code to consider.  You have a primary wire and a secondary.  The primary colors are: Blue, Orange, Green, Brown, Slate (grey).  The secondary colors are: White, Red, Black, Yellow, & Violet.  They come in pairs, Blue/White, then Orange/White, Green/White...then it starts over again with Red...Blue/Red, Orange/Red...  This goes on until the last pair of Slate/Violet.  That gets you 25 pairs of wires (50 wires).  If there are more pairs in the cable than that, the bundle of 25 is wrapped in a blue ribbon; then orange....

I remember this because I paid for my honeymoon by wiring a small telephone switching room.  I was handling 500 pair cables (3" diameter), making around 6 loops (6X500 pair connections).  Those color schemes are burned into my brain.

nullb0y

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2023, 04:37:32 pm
  • Who wants some?
    • antinull
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 01:00:38 am »
the wires they scare me!
Alright. Who wants some? Who's next? Huh? How 'bout it? Who wants some? Huh? Who wants to have a little? You.
  You want some more? Huuuh? You want a little? Do ya? Huh? You want some more? Huh? Huh? Hh!

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 10:17:28 am »
OK, I've done some 'tip' testing last night by clamping a board onto the existing (temp) CP surface and exerting various amounts of force onto the edges of it.

Seems fairly stable actually, not suitable for standing/dancing on (should the situation arise) but, if you are just sitting there playin' games and poundin buttons it shouldn't tip over and crush anyone, or worse, *gasp!* spill your beer!  :o

My main concern was little kids trying to pull themselves up on it and flipping the thing on top of em. Blood stains are so difficult to get out of the carpet.

I think the best way to reduce the amount of wire flexing is to put the encoder and all control wires inside the cp and just run the single keyboard cable outside of it to the PC. (Thx Nightgod)  However, the plan was to put about 5 admin buttons on the rear most hinged panel. That is going to present a challenge or two.

The Coder's spring loop idea is a very good one for both situations. Don't need any wires getting pinched in the moving parts. Also really like the locking latch idea, cuz sometimes, the detents on them slider rails just aren't enough. The ones I was going to use are from a Snap-On tool box. Not sure what they are 'rated' but they are very heavy duty and should hold the load fine. Think I'll look into another set though, thx for the tip Chris!

The new problem

OK, I'll need this thing to hold all the buttons, switches, wires and joysticks plus the encoder. I'll have to enclose the bottom and it'll most likely be about 3-4" thick. It'll also have to have some good strong mounting surfaces for the slider rails to attach to.  I was hoping to make rounded corners but am not sure how to approach the facing. Would this question be better asked in the woodworking part of the forum?

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 08:25:26 pm »
that is definatly a cool idea...i dont think i've seen anyone else do that before.  I can also vouch for the rackmount server rails..they lock in place nicely and are quite durable.

as for the admin buttons being outside the main panel..what i would do is keep the encoder in the control panel, use a short piece of cat5 that runs back out to the admin panel.  that would put you at only 2 wires out the back,(one to the admin panel, one to the pc) and would give you enough wires for 7 buttons.
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

TehJefe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2006, 11:54:05 am
  • Oh Tyler, save me! Deliver me!
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2006, 02:18:11 am »
I guess I only have experience with low grade rollers... but coupled with my occasional emotional outburst, the flimsy metal rails that came with my desk (and those that I have used to replace them), just arnt dependable.
Goodluck finding some stronger ones than mine. I shouldnt have to say it, but I will: just make sure you reinforce it in every way possible. Dont get lazy.

Also: Props on the waynes world reference. Party on dude.

escher

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2021, 12:18:21 am
  • Out of the game for way too long
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2006, 09:00:31 am »
I guess I only have experience with low grade rollers... but coupled with my occasional emotional outburst, the flimsy metal rails that came with my desk (and those that I have used to replace them), just arnt dependable.
Goodluck finding some stronger ones than mine. I shouldnt have to say it, but I will: just make sure you reinforce it in every way possible. Dont get lazy.

We have some rails that are in use here at the office that hold 80+ pounds about two feet out.  I've gotta admit that when I first had to work underneath the chasis hanging out there, I was quite nervous.  But incredibly strong rails do in fact exist.

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2006, 10:04:19 am »
Thx Severdhed!
Party on TehJefe! \m/

I am looking into trying out these Snap On ones.
They seem to be very heavy duty and roll smoother than a pint of Jack slipped into a hymn book on Sunday mornin.

Escher, your sig logo just gave me another idea for my side panel art. (MC's one of my faves, right up there with Dali man!)
Y'kno them whacked out 3D staircases going in all directions?

Just put some old school v/g guys over the guys running around that maze of stuff. Like the Berzerk guys, pack man ghosts, mario, and robotron goons, etc... Have to make it all greyscale though. Not sure how it'll look but may make up a preliminary sketch to test the notion. Thanks!

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2006, 11:28:05 am »
No real progress to report. However I do offer this update...

New problems to figger out! :dizzy:

Discovered that one of my slide rails needs to me mounted exactly where the joystick wants to be.

That moving angled rear panel idea is getting less and less attratcive as I try and figure out the geometry for it to work.

I'm working with about 10-13" of panel extension, so, depending on the amount of 'rise' desired on the rear panel, it may need about 12 of swing. I can only accomadate 5-6" because of the monitor placement.

Ha-Rumpf!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 03:38:29 pm by CykoMF »

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 10:28:51 am »
Not much 'progress' to report this time,
but, I do have
some pictures of the cardboard mock-up in 'action'

If you load both of them into your viewer and Ctrl+Tab between them quickly, it's like an expensive animated display sequence!  :laugh2:
Open, Closed, Open, Closed, Open...

I am still looking for slide rails, seems most are made for longer extensions than I desire to use here. Also giving up on the flipping panel in the back part of the CP. Experimenting with a fixed, perpendicular admin panel as shown on the mock up. Don't really like it but haven't been struck with diving insight as to how to make the 'flipper board' workable yet.

Any advice? By all means, leave me a post!

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2006, 08:54:47 am »
Little bit of progress to report.
Have been experimenting with many different types of slide rails and so far have found the smallest least expensive ones to be the most usable.
This could just be my inert cheapness working it's way up through my subconscious but who's complaining really?

Here is a pic with the rails attached...

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2006, 09:28:10 am »
Next thing I've been working on is the top piece for the CP.
I've got it cut to size (of a Centipede mushroom) and now have to decide where to put the holes. Been thinking of using the angle offset layout but not so sure.

Also need to work out the edge boards. Sure could use some advice on these!

Another also, I purchased a box of old trackballs and hope to get a smaller one working and placed into this CP. I have my artwork but don't want to show it just yet as it is dependent on the placement of the trackball.
Asuming I get one working  :P
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 10:57:39 am by CykoMF »

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2006, 08:16:48 am »
Not much to report this month. I've started on another cabnet so what little time I have for this hobby now has be divided in 1/2.

Good news is the trackballs are 6 out of 7 working, WooHoo!

I'm still waiting on the trackball plates and some buttons to proceed on the CP for this cabent, however I have started on the wiring harness for the controls and I've got a sneek peek of my panel art for you guys. I think you'll have no trouble being able to tell where the trackball will be located.

New bad news, I lifted a trace off my GP-Wiz removing some wires from it. Let this be a lesson, the extra 2 bucks for the connector thingy is a bargin!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 02:16:17 pm by CykoMF »

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2006, 12:28:52 pm »
Are you still looking at doing the hinges on your extendo-panel?  Below are two images for you to look at.  Each one shows the panel in the open and closed position plus one in-between.  Keep in mind that these are not exact scale but hopefully they are close.

The first one is the plan that you are looking at.  You would need three hinge points, thus the different colors.  To hinge the top panel I'd drill a hole through both the sides of the cab and the edge of the panel near the top.  Then put a dowel through the holes.  The hinge where the top and middle panels meet would be on the front of the top panel and the top or back edge of the middle panel.  The hinge point where the middle panel meets the main CP would be on the bottom of the middle panel not the top otherwise it would pinch and not allow the middle panel go down. 

The second pic is what I would recommend.  It would be much easier to create just leave a small space between the vertical panel and the CP 1/8" - 1/4" would be plenty.  In the second one I'd put the admin buttons on the vertical panel instead of on the CP

Good luck, whichever way you choose to go.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 12:39:39 pm by Kaytrim »

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2006, 01:01:48 pm »
Now for a locking mechanism.  The pic below is the underside of your extendo-panel.  You would need to find or create two spring loaded dowels that are mounted on the underside of the panel.  Attach a wire to the ends of the dowels, feed them through pulleys mounted close together in the middle as shown and continue the wire to a T handle to pull from the front.  Drill two holes in each cabinet side that would match up with the dowel when the panel is in the open and closed positions.

All you need to do is pull the T handle, this will pull the dowels out of their locking holes.  Keep the T handle pulled as you slide the CP to the other position.  Then release the T handle making sure that the dowels are engaged in the second set of holes.

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2006, 02:13:21 pm »
Kaytrim, Dude!
I really, really like your suggestion above!
The hinge thing was driving me nuckin' futs
and I think that second suggestion of yours is the best solution.
(The KISS method wins out again!)

However, I am a little concerned about the amount of space I'll have to work with once the trackball is mounted. With the CP retracted and the vertical admin panel in place, it may constrict movement a bit. I'm going to have to do a mock up and give it a try. 

1 big ol rocket fueled turbo THANKIE for you!   :notworthy:

As for the locking mech, I was planning on using cabnet hardware, a spring loaded latch/catch assembly with a recessed button on the underside of the panel. Your idea is intriguing because it has the potential to provide many different 'stops' along the travel distance. I'm not sure I'd need them, as my goal was to put the controls in my lap while sitting at the bar stools, but your idea is a very good one, worthy of exploration. Thanks again!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 02:19:28 pm by CykoMF »

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2006, 09:43:37 pm »
Kaytrim, Dude!
I really, really like your suggestion above!
The hinge thing was driving me nuckin' futs
and I think that second suggestion of yours is the best solution.
(The KISS method wins out again!)

My pleasure to be of service my friend.

However, I am a little concerned about the amount of space I'll have to work with once the trackball is mounted. With the CP retracted and the vertical admin panel in place, it may constrict movement a bit. I'm going to have to do a mock up and give it a try. 

Something bothered me when you said that you had little room for the trackball.  I thought that you had expanded the CP to accommodate it.  It was really bothering me so much that I could think of nothing else on the drive home (1 hour commute).

New problems to figger out! :dizzy:

Discovered that one of my slide rails needs to me mounted exactly where the joystick wants to be.

Then I remembered the pic of your CP underside and the  :censored: sliders mounted there.  That is the problem.  You need a box for your CP not a panel.  Look back at the drawings I made for you above.  The CP box is thicker than the middle panel.  You might have to cut the sides of your cab to make room for the CP box but you need to put the sliders under the box.  That way you have more space for your controls.  You will be able to move the player 1 & 2 controls out to the sides and maybe even have room for buttons 5 & 6 for both players.  You should also be able to move the trackball down closer to the front edge of the CP.

Make your box 3-4 inches deep to give you plenty of space for the controls and wiring as well as space for any future controls you might want to swap out.  This will also protect the controls and wiring from damage as you move the CP back and forth.  A wire could get caught in the slider and cut the way you have it now.

Now for a locking mechanism.  The pic below is the underside of your extendo-panel.  You would need to find or create two spring loaded dowels that are mounted on the underside of the panel.  Attach a wire to the ends of the dowels, feed them through pulleys mounted close together in the middle as shown and continue the wire to a T handle to pull from the front. 

Then I got thinking about the idea I had for the locks.  The track ball will be in the way of the wires.  Get another T handle and put them close to the sides one for each wire.  Move the pulleys closer to the dowels as well.

I hope that this helps you get to your final idea.

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2006, 10:02:17 am »
OK Kaytrim, I am starting to worry about you . . .
Life is too short to spend an entire hour worrying about my control panel!!!
But hey, a guy who quotes Casteneda has to be cool so I'll cut you some slack here.   :laugh:
(Hey, maybe you can remember they guy who 'made the mountains tremble' in one of his books???)

OK, on to my mini-update:
Got my TB mount (WOOHOO!) and then discovered an un-nerving thing about them, they don't mount flush!

I'd set the router for what I though was the proper depth but the plate tends to be somewhat lower in the corners and crowns upward in the centers, making highspots. I took another pass and compromised somewhere in between, by using some filler to smooth things out.

You can see where I'll have to cut away at the front panel to make from for the CP to slide in and out.

Also made a hole for the coin door that I got from Wyluli.
It cleaned up very nicely and the hole, with one minor exception, (that had to be in the most obvious place of course!) turned out very nicely.

I remember seeing someones thread asking about using body filler to fill a gap like this. Have to go hunting for that one I guess. It isn't too bad but I just know at some point it'll bother me to the point I have to do something about it.

Back to the Control Panel. . .

I am thinking of mounting the admin panel in a fixed perpendicular arrangement at the back edge of the control panel. It'll then slide forward with the CP avoiding all the hinges, springs and pinched wires etc...

I did get the slide rails mounted and came up with a cool 'quick-disconnect' method of mounting the panel to the rails. I am using a slotted hole in one of the rails to fit a modified dryway screw into. Notice how the head has been ground flat to provide more clearance.

Once the back edge of the CP is dropped into these slotted holes, I take up the slack and put the front screws in to keep everything in place. When needed, I can pop the panel off by removing only 2 screws from underneath. 

Something else I'd like to show you guys...
Notice the trackball mount had to be squeezed into the controls arrangement and there wasn't much room to work with it. But I came up with a method that allows me to double up on the amount of 'real estate' used in the 2P joystick area. See the upper highlighted area in this picture:

Basically I just shortented one of the TB plate studs and countersunk it's hole to rest below the joystick mount. If you try this, be sure to make the hole big enough to accommodate your socket wrench.  :P

And more good news!
I was able to save my GP-Wiz, basically took the IDE cable pin from an old hard drive and sweated them into the holes on the PCB, then ran a small wire from the leg of the chip to replace the damaged trace. I'm back in business AND I can now use the IDE cable for connections, no more messy wire congestion at the GP-Wiz PCB!

And I have a partially scavenged hard drive to tinker with,
Hellooooooooooo Spinner!   >:D

« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 10:24:46 am by CykoMF »

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2006, 10:17:47 am »
OK Kaytrim, I am starting to worry about you . . .
Life is too short to spend an entire hour worrying about my control panel!!!
But hey, a guy who quotes Casteneda has to be cool so I'll cut you some slack here.   :laugh:

My mind is like a steel trap.  Once it bites is doesn't let go.  :laugh2:  I can also visualize in 3D which made it easy to find a solution to your panel hinges.  I am also one that loves to help and give comments where they are not wanted.  ;)

I hope you enjoy the end result of your CP which ever way you end up going.  I will keep following along because this is so unique.  ;D  :cheers:

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2006, 12:48:15 am »
What's with the flush mounted trackball?  I liked the surface mounted Logitech much better.   ;)

Nannuu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2022, 11:55:21 pm
  • Anytime now, I'll start my cabinet
    • Will and Liliana's Projects and Family Photos
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2006, 03:58:01 pm »
OK, on to my mini-update:
Got my TB mount (WOOHOO!) and then discovered an un-nerving thing about them, they don't mount flush!

I'd set the router for what I though was the proper depth but the plate tends to be somewhat lower in the corners and crowns upward in the centers, making highspots. I took another pass and compromised somewhere in between, by using some filler to smooth things out.
Ah, I'm glad I'm not the only one this happens to.  I've done a couple and this seems to happen every time  :banghead:
The panel is looking good btw.
Next I'll be on fries, and that's when the big money starts rolling in.

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2007, 04:45:49 pm »
Thanks for the feedback guys!
The 'surface mounted logitec' is currently enjoying life on another system.

I made a little progress over the holiday break, got my artwork in place on the main panel and cut my plexi to lay on top of it. Currently looking into t-molding options. I used .030 plexi because I wanted to keep what little trackball exposure I had maxed.

I included a photo of the control wiring and did another showing the 'innards' of that little black box because I just knew one of you guys would ask me, "Hey, what's inside that black box thing?"

Well, if your dying to know, just look below, it's my Franken-Wiz, mouse hack and the related wiring. The box itself is just an old Sega Genisis cart box, I have plenty more if anybody wants one.

The CP is starting to look better and in contrasts, makes the screen panel look like crap. Guess that'll be next to get updated.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 07:36:31 am by CykoMF »

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
Re: the Extend-0-Panel
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2007, 12:24:51 pm »
Figures, soon as I try to take on doing TWO cabnets at once, I get busier than a one legged guy in a but kicking contest!

Still, I managed to spend a little time putzing with this one. My 2 player cab.

Mostly the only real progress it the T-Molding and back panel on the CP.
Now that I've got the slot cutter I put it to use.
This pic shows a good view of the slide rails and molding. (Like anyone needs to see what that looks like)  :P

Also put on a back panel with a couple admin buttons and a bottom panel so you...
1)  Don't see all the 'innards'
2) Don't pinch/snag and wires whenever the panel is pulled out
3) Make it a royal pain in the ass to check any wireing or remove a Jesus clip from the joystick handles.

Here is a shot of the underside of the control panel:

It's just a piece of Masionite popped into a slot cut into the front panel and supported in the back by a couple spacer blocks.

I gave up on the crazy angles and stuff to close up the back part of the panel area, just went with a simple piece of plastic mounted in the front (under the monitor panel) and let gravity to it's magic. It's just to cover up the hole on back on the panel area and it works great.

You can see it in this photo:

and here's one in the extended position:

As you can see, the plastic panel has effectively blocked off the inner area on the cabinet that used to be home to the speakers. My original plan was to just use a fabric type material but I really like this plastic idea better.

So, now I have to figure out what to do with the speakers. Currently they are hangin on the sides for lack of a better place to put them. I think I might like to build them into the monitor panel like in the marque area whenever I get to reworking that part. Set them up blasting directly into my face at point blank, awesome!!!

With that said, here is the current status of this project.

I am happy with the current placement of the monitor and all, might like to try a vertical setup sometime but not wanting too much hassle. I'm thinking of redoing the plexi and marque/bezel just for better looks, fit and finish, etc. Not sure about incorporating the speakers next to the monitor like that though...

If anyone has any suggestions for me on the reworking of the monitor area by all means let me know.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 12:34:34 pm by CykoMF »

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2007, 04:35:35 pm »
Dam little progress to report on either of my W.I.P. projects . . .

But I did manage to decide on, purchase AND mount the panel retainers for this project.  I just used a pair of them magnetic cabnet door retainers from Home Depot. Picked up the strongest ones they had and all I can say is WOW! I can't believe the grip these things have got. Don't think I'll need to use any kind of locking mechanisms at all. In fact, a lesser man would have trouble extending the panel from it's parked position.

Will try and get a photo posted one of these days.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 04:37:54 pm by CykoMF »

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2007, 03:38:44 pm »
I did a little work on this one, mostly cleaning up the bottom end where I have the pc mounted. Kind of helps to have the extra weight on the bottom of the cab. Helps offset that big ass monitor up on top.  The power switch has been relocated so I really have little if any reason to access the PC anymore. Never the less, I made the lower panel independently removable in case I need to load something into the cd-rom drive.

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2007, 03:41:19 pm »
Here you can see the front of the CPU, it was just an old PII-400, I painted the faceplate flat black so it wouldn't stick out so much but I don't think anyone would care. Once the panel in on there nobody sees it ever. You can also see my coin box on top of the CPU.

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2007, 03:43:04 pm »
Here is a front shot with the lower panel installed.

You can see the Control Panel is retracted and the front panels all line up fairly well. 
The semi-hidden admin buttons are visible in the back there.
(The yellow one is the pause button)

That line above the lower panel is probably because I had the drop light on inside the cabinet for taking pictures. It's really not that noticeable.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 04:23:14 pm by CykoMF »

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2007, 03:46:41 pm »
Here is a shot peeking inside the coin door.
You can see the quarter catcher and the keyboard (just in case) also the ever useful USB cord. The keyboard and USB cable are long enough to be pulled out the front of the cabinet through the coin door. Hopefully this will make any future updates a piece of cake.

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2007, 03:52:20 pm »
Good to see you trying to wrap this up.  Put a piece of scrap metal in the bottom of the coin box.  You'll get better sound satisfaction when a quarter hits metal instead of wood.  ;D

TTFN

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2007, 03:54:03 pm »
And here is another odd angle shot.
Not sure why but I thought it looked cool.

Brings out the panel artwork.
I really liked the way the trackball turned out, even if the artwork wasn't planned properly for my layout.

You should always finalize your controls layout BEFORE laying out the art!

You can see the control panel in it's retracted position.
The magnets are holding very well so far.
Only one time so far, (when my brother got out of control playing Galaga) did the panel ever come loose from the magnet retainers.

Bottom panel is off and you can see the coin catcher sticking out down below.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 04:17:21 pm by CykoMF »

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2007, 03:58:28 pm »
Hi Kaytrim,

Never thought of that, will give it a try one of these days.
I actually lined the coin box with a piece of felt to deaden the sound a little.
Makes more of a 'Cha-thunk' noise now.

I've been working on the rear panel and have the lower portion closed up.
Still looking to make a bracket for mounting the sub woofer in a location where I can reach the controls conveniently if needed. Thinking of a hinged access door or something. Maybe best to put this on the side or top.

Don't want to have to open the coin door just to adjust the sub volume.

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2007, 04:03:32 pm »
You could desolder the volume control from the sub.  Then mount it in a more accessible place using wire to tie it back to the sub where it was soldered.