Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAMEd Star Wars - puttin' it all together?  (Read 2441 times)

jammadave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2005, 04:07:28 pm
  • cats$ chown -R us:us yourbase/
    • Jammadave's Home on the Web
MAMEd Star Wars - puttin' it all together?
« on: April 01, 2002, 06:44:35 am »
okay guys - posted bits and pieces here about the Star Wars project a friend is doing for me, he's the hardware guy been doing all the hacking and soldering and such and now it's just about my turn to go in and make it all run like a champ.  So here are some questions:

1. Got the yoke hacked thru an analog joystick, into -you guessed it- the joystick port on the PC.  Can DOS MAME recognize this input and default it to use said joystick port automatically, or do I have to leave it running windows (which i don't exactly want to do)?

2. if I wanted to, could I have it boot straight into the ROM itself without going through a frontend?  as in, if i were to want to run it as a dedicated SW?

3. alternately, anybody feel like writing a custom frontend to switch between the three SW games?
maybe via just the marquees laid out in a vertical column (SW, ESB, RotJ) with something like "Star Wars Multigame - Please Select a Game" across the top and a nice bright-green outline around each marquee as you select it by moving the control yoke up and down. just a thought =0)

By the way, no we didn't destroy a Star Wars machine for this, the cab was already down to nothing but wood...

Cheers
Dave

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »
Jammadave - Arcade collector.
Current Collection:  MsPac, Asteroids, Joust, KickMan, Hydra, Warlords (cocktail), plus Fish Tales & Creature from the Black Lagoon (pinballs)

johnpurs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2022, 10:59:30 pm
    • John &ampamp; Mad's MAME2000 Cabinet
Re: MAMEd Star Wars - puttin' it all together?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2002, 07:16:11 am »

1. Got the yoke hacked thru an analog joystick, into -you guessed it- the joystick port on the PC.
MAME2K

Pins:Devil'sDare*Taxi*Meteor*Fireball 2*WC Soccer 94*WhiteWater*Catacomb*FunHouse*Nine Ball*Space Shuttle*Flight2000**SeaWitch*Centaur*Paragon*Big Game*F-14 Tomcat*

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2002, 11:30:17 pm »
All the frontends do is send the normal DOS Mame commands that you would normally type in yourself.  This is the same thing that a shell does.  There are several freeware and shareware shell/menu programs for DOS on http://www.downloads.com.  Choose one and instead of setting it up to run different programs, set up 3 different options which run the 3 different games, with their Mame commands.

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2002, 11:53:39 pm »
if im not mistaken partyon will run in true dos....
it's simple and geared towards small lists and has a fully customizable font/color scheme and snapshot previews....
sounds perfect for your needs....
a dos selection menu via bat file tricks, ect. is quick and dirty,
but rather ugly don't you think?  

if not gamelauncher certainly will, but it seems like overkill in this situation.  

If your going to go through all the trouble of maming a star wars cab (which by the way your going to hell for, you should NEVER mame a classic cab like a star wars, you scratch build a copy if you want it so bad)
at least give it the proper respect and do it right by making a nice menu.... it'll look so much more profesional.  

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2002, 12:51:15 am »

If your going to go through all the trouble of maming a star wars cab (which by the way your going to hell for, you should NEVER mame a classic cab like a star wars, you scratch build a copy if you want it so bad)
at least give it the proper respect and do it right by making a nice menu.... it'll look so much more profesional.

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...

jammadave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2005, 04:07:28 pm
  • cats$ chown -R us:us yourbase/
    • Jammadave's Home on the Web
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2002, 01:41:24 pm »

add the following to your autoexec.bat file

drive\dir\mame.exe starwars -joy and any other options you want

Hey - does this same command string work with mame32??  that's what's running right now in there and i want to try it.

thx!
dave
Jammadave - Arcade collector.
Current Collection:  MsPac, Asteroids, Joust, KickMan, Hydra, Warlords (cocktail), plus Fish Tales & Creature from the Black Lagoon (pinballs)

JMDickson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2011, 11:22:48 pm
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2002, 02:08:56 pm »
Yep, That's the only way I MAME  ;D, until my cab is ready anyway.