Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Oldschool Arcade Review: Final Fight  (Read 6138 times)

postalp123

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 09:07:50 pm
  • Retro-gamers don't just play, they reminisce.
Oldschool Arcade Review: Final Fight
« on: September 12, 2006, 03:41:07 pm »
FINAL FIGHT

Category: Arcade
Copyright: Capcom
Prod. Year: 1989
Programming: Pon G, Akiman, Nin
Graphics: Unknown
Sound: Unknown

Pick yer Poison, either:

A) Big Muscleman who will "Hulksmash" everything and somehow got voted into office (Think Jesse "The Body" Ventura)
B) Punkish "Street Wise" guy in a Wifebeater who can make Knives magically flash Red
C) Your garden-variety-all-purpose-everyday Ninja who studies "Helicopter-Fu"

Review:

Final Fight is a game that started something of a trend in good side scrolling action games, and since it's appearance into the mainstream arcade market, it's spawned several clones and a number of home console children that have taken many gamers to new heights of getting vengeance on the bad guys! While this game is not the top of the pile, nor the king of the hill, it does have several good qualities going for it including a rather addictive game play, and a good story line, abiet over used. The sheer action in the game alone, with the amount of enemies you fight as well as the different characters that you can use to dispatch them makes for a good side scrolling action game that started a true legend!

Graphics and Sound
Clean and very detailed, every character is designed and created with 'realism' in mind, and it doesn't squelch on the amount of speed and detail used either it be in long range or short quarters combat! You'll find though that there are cases of noticeable break up and in some cases, when you have too many characters on screen, a bit of game slowdown! The backgrounds and environments all have plenty of detail and a lot of thought put into them, from moving subways to streets with litter and posters detailed on the walls.

A pretty upbeat soundtrack keeps to the games tempo and pace at a steady clip. However, you'll notice that the changes in the music come from stage to stage, but you'll find that the music all has the same type of beat or tempo to it that makes it rather bland after about thirty minutes or so! The sound effects are a little strange to listen to as well, with the grunts and groans coming out as a little on the high side, and explosions, bone crunching thuds and body smashing thumps all round out the audio section!

Control
It's simple to use, and anyone of any skill level can use it. You use the attack button to launch your attacks on your targets, or you can jump and attack for a quick knock down blow. You can walk into your target, grab them and then proceed to administer a hellicious beat down that looks rather cool and does some wicked damage! The key to the control, is knowing when to advance into a group of thugs, and when to step back and away.

Gameplay and Replayability
Side scrolling beat down action, you've got three characters to choose from, all of which have a wide variety of moves that can be used to smash out the different enemy gang members that come rushing your way! Attacking makes for interesting combinations, and you can pick up different items to aid yourself in the quest for vengeance as well as smash out different objects to uncover point modifiers and food to increase your life gauge after you've taken some damage. If you walk into an enemy, you'll capture them, and from there, you can to a close in attack, which does more damage into the target, just before you chuck them away, or suplex them depending on who you use! Three different characters await you; Mike Hammer, the father of Jessica, Guy, the martial artist and friend of Mike Hammer, and Cody, who I'm not sure of, but I believe to be Jessica's boyfriend. Either way, you have three ass kicking characters that can deal out massive amounts of damage!

Final Thoughts
It's an addictive game, and in later stages, it becomes a damned hard game to try and fight your way through. With a friend, there shouldn't be any problems, and a buck a player should get you from start to finish without much of a hassle! But, playing one player, you can double that amount, and you'll make it to the end for a fight to the finish with the Mad Gear boss!

With some visual problems, and the fact that in later levels, you'll get beat down more than you're dishing out, some gamers who are new to this title will find that the game has a slightly unfair advantage in terms of numbers. Either way you look at the spectrum, Final Fight has a lot of great qualities, and a couple of bad ones, which make this game above average, but not perfect!

« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 09:44:07 pm by saint »

Glaine

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2013, 12:09:17 pm
Re: Oldschool Arcade Review: Final Fight
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 10:21:05 am »
Gotta love the ole Final Fight. And I also love how so many characters from this got worked into Street Fighter Alpha 3. Guy, Cody, Rolento, Sadam, so many.

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2018, 12:32:23 am
    • ARTIFACT - my scratch designed & built arcade cabinet
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 12:36:12 am »
I love Final Fight! one of my favorites...

DarkBubble

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 12:36:14 pm »
Nice review of one of my all-time faves.  I still remember when I first figured out how to do Haggar's jumping piledriver...and when I figured out how to make Roxy and Poison's shirts flip up a bit. :applaud:

Austin.Wolff

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2011, 03:53:32 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 01:50:01 pm »
Easily my favorite game for the SNES, never played an arcade version though.  Did beat the SNES one however ;)

DarkBubble

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 06:03:55 pm »
Oh man, the SNES version was so lacking.  It's missing a 2-stage level (Factory/Scaffold Lift), a boss (Rolento), and Poison and Roxy (replaced by Sid and Billy).  Most of all, it's missing a third character (Guy in regular, Cody in Final Fight Guy) and 2-player co-op.  Nothing's better than running through it with a friend when it's loaded in an actual arcade cab.

FireBane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2007, 01:09:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 01:17:51 am »
 :applaud: That was really good!
Keep up the good work.

Can you do one on say AVP now?

Trebeck

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 11:01:21 am
  • "The Arcade" - Build #4
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 07:29:04 pm »
Great review.
Keep em coming  :)

-Beck

SonicSlammaster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2009, 07:00:14 am
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 06:47:11 am »
Fantastic game! I remember lashing the quarters into this back in the day.

I really liked this review
More Please!

destructor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2019, 03:10:07 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 12:47:32 pm »
Do you know all Final Fight secrets? I think not  ;)
http://forums.marpirc.net/viewtopic.php?t=9663

Glaine

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2013, 12:09:17 pm
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 02:27:34 pm »
It's kinda old news now, but I found out that theres a new Final Fight for PS2 called FF: Streetwise. Haven't played it, but looks like you play as Cody's younger brother. The clip I saw looked like Fight Club.