Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mounting a RJ45 socket help  (Read 2063 times)

Royal Fish

• Trade Count: (0)
Mounting a RJ45 socket help
« on: April 05, 2002, 12:12:55 pm »
Hi Friends,

I want to mount a RJ45 female socket in my cab (so that I can connect by ethernet...) but all I can find is just boxes of plastic (that you cannot secure)
What I would like to find is something that you could screw to a metal panel or even wood..
Would someone please have an idea (URL ?)

Thanks VERY much ;-)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Abelard Lindsay

Re: Mounting a RJ45 socket help
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2002, 12:42:44 pm »
Hi Friends,

I want to mount a RJ45 female socket in my cab (so that I can connect by ethernet...) but all I can find is just boxes of plastic (that you cannot secure)
What I would like to find is something that you could screw to a metal panel or even wood..
Would someone please have an idea (URL ?)

Thanks VERY much ;-)

Howdy!

The most elegant way (IMO) would be to cut a rectangular hole in your cab, and mount a metal electrical box (the same one you would mount a light switch or electrical outlet in) in the hole. The box would be inside your cabinet, just like it's inside your wall as in a light switch. You can then snap the data jack into a faceplate which screws into (and covers the rough edge of) the electrical box on the outside. Voila!

The box and plate can be had at just about any big hardware store/electric supply for not too many bucks ($5 or so).

Good Luck!

Jonathan_the_Red

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Never
  • Cab-buildin' fool
    • Jonathan's Cab-in-progress
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2002, 04:38:47 pm »
You can get "keystone" type faceplates that can take a number of connectors with standardized snap-in mountings. I have one of these on the back of my cabinet... see my site for a pic.

An electrical junction box like Abelard suggests is a nice touch but not really necessary... my faceplate is screwed directly into the MDF. My faceplate has connectors for Ethernet, left and right audio out, and RF video in.

ArcadEd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2012, 01:25:15 am
  • Arcade-In-A-Box , Relive Your Childhood
    • Arcade-In-A-Box
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2002, 04:57:30 pm »
They are very easy to come by, I use them on my arcade-in-a-box.  Just head over to home depot, if you have one in your area, and look where they carry RCA cables etc.  You will see a bunch modular faceplates and modules to go in those plates.  Buy the RJ45 module and plate.  Just cut a RJ45 cable at one end, plug the jack into your NIC card, and hard wire the other end into the module plug.  Boom, there ya go :)