Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Filler/Bondo problem  (Read 2538 times)

Grauwulf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2009, 03:42:44 pm
  • Button Masher
Filler/Bondo problem
« on: September 11, 2006, 07:52:04 pm »
Hopefully someone can help me out with this. I just finished filling some button holes on a wooden control panel for a project I am working on. I filled the holed with Bondo and sanded everything smooth, but no matter how hard I try to feather it, once the cp was painted black, you could still see the 'seam' between the bondo and the original wood. I am going to be doing 2 MAME cabines with recessed joystick bolts and trackball plates. I want to try and avoid the same thing happening. Can anyone offer me any pointers to avoid having the 'seam' show on the edges of the drilled/routed holes on my cp? I have searched the board here and haven't found anthing addressing this exact issue.
www.wolfelectronics.ca

Cap Kits for Canadians!

whammoed

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2024, 05:35:58 pm
  • Crack don't smoke itself
    • NiceMite
Re: Filler/Bondo problem
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 09:01:09 pm »
Did you use a primer then give the primer a light sanding?  Never had this problem, but I do use primer.  You could try skim coating the entire surface with bondo if the problem persists.

Grauwulf

• Offline Offline
  • Button Masher
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 09:27:34 pm »
I've used standard primer, filler primer and spot putty, still end up with the same result I'm afraid. I'm sure it has something to do with the way I'm working it, but I have no idea what. I've used bondo on cars with no problems, and I've rebuilt the coner of a cab with it as well. It just seems that anything that has a very sharp, defined edge is giving me grief.
www.wolfelectronics.ca

Cap Kits for Canadians!

whammoed

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2024, 05:35:58 pm
  • Crack don't smoke itself
    • NiceMite
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 11:22:58 pm »
Can you post a picture of the problem? (if it shows up in a pic that is...)

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2022, 07:33:24 pm
  • Routers can do anything.
    • SimpleCase Custom Arcade Stick Enclosures
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 02:00:56 am »
Make sure you vacuum away any dust that may be inbetween the filler and the hole's edge. Also, try multiple thin coats rather than filling it up in 1 big glop. If all else fails, would it be too difficult to fabricate a new cp?

It's 9am. I'm calling it a nite.

Grauwulf

• Offline Offline
  • Button Masher
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 08:33:56 am »
I went over everything with a tack cloth before painting. And this is was on a project I'm selling so I was not interested in investing the time in making new control panels. I'm trying to avoid having the same thing happen with my new panels I will be making for my MAME machine when I go to recess the mounting bolts and trackball plate.
www.wolfelectronics.ca

Cap Kits for Canadians!

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 03:05:14 pm »
A tack cloth works great for surfaces but like you said, the problem is where the filler meets the wood. Again, I suggest vacuuming the surface. Maybe try a very thin top coat after you wipe it down with the cloth after sanding. It may close the gap for you.

prOk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2015, 08:29:34 pm
  • www.rgvac.com
    • Brian's Classic Arcade
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 11:51:49 pm »
I would suggest you look into a product called 'Evercoat' at your local auto body supply shop.  This is very similar in nature to bondo, but it is instead a polyester fill.  Evercoat can fill extremely tiny crevices and sands smooth like plastic unlike bondo that is porous.  It also paints very very well and will run about 22 bucks for a quart container of it so it is not cheap.

I have a 'how to' on it on my website:
http://www.rgvac.com/restoration.asp?projid=18

Give it a look.

/brian

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 05:17:52 pm »
Very nice! I took a look at your example on your site. I may look into some of this stuff.