Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: #8 screws zinc alloy they suck any other suggestions  (Read 4342 times)

rdowdy95

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2011, 11:48:50 am
  • This is my rifle.
#8 screws zinc alloy they suck any other suggestions
« on: September 09, 2006, 02:16:50 pm »
Man I hurt a muscle in my elbow area last night.  I had to push like crazy to get the screw to screw in.  I also find it easy to strip the screw heads as well on these zinc alloy screws.  The times I did drive them in I had on speed 1 on my drill torq 24.  But the thing is near the very end it wants to strip the screw head the top part.  Then I got to use some strong pliers to remove the crappy screw.

What do you guys think about the more expensive stainless steel screws.  Is the screw head stronger.  Like will the head of it not strip as easy.  I don't want to screw anymore support strips in till I get this mystery figutred out.

DigDreams

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2007, 04:37:08 am
Re: #8 screws zinc alloy they suck any other suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 05:03:17 pm »
Have you tried pre-drilling the holes?  That's what I do when I have that problem and it usually works fine.

I've tried the stainless screws, and it seems (at least to me) that they strip just as easy.

- DigDreams

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 06:03:13 pm »
What are you drilling into?  Sounds like something like oak, or else your battery (if it's a cordless drill) is underpowered or needs recharging.

The problem isn't the screw material, the problem is the method you're using, or the tool itself.  Stainless is a waste of money for a cab, and even those zinc ones you're using are higher-priced than need be.  Standard drywall screws are just fine, and generally cheaper than the zinc ones. 

Where'd you get those from, Menard's?
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

NightGod

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2017, 06:59:58 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 06:33:32 pm »
Ouch-24 torq? No wonder you're stripping the screws. Pre-drill that ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.
$6.75 the hard way-one quarter at a time.

rdowdy95

• Offline Offline
  • This is my rifle.
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 10:21:07 pm »
Hey guys.  I am predrilling them.  All the way I am predrilling with a 1/8" Ryobi Titanium drill bit!  TITANIUM!  Hey I am drilling into 2x2s aka 1.5x1.5 then 3/4" ply for the cab sides.  I am drilling the 2x2s as my support strips since some of my back panels are a little short on length.  It is just near the end when I almost get the screw all the way in it starts to be harder to go in.  I think it is like you guys said.  I hadn't charged the battery in like 3 days.  I am letting it charge overnight, then goig to put the topshelf on tommorow.  I did by another box of 50 #8 2" screws.  They were the zinc kind.  I didn't see no steel ones.  They had some brass, but I was like nah.  Oh well I will tell you guys what happens tommorow.

rdowdy95

• Offline Offline
  • This is my rifle.
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 10:24:41 pm »
Guys I am also predrilling like 2" through the 1.5x1.5 wood + 3/4" ply so I am leaving like a 1/4" on the cab so I dont screw all the way through.  I am using the 2" screws.  Hey I will let you know how it goes tommorow.  I got the strips set for the back panel. 

Now here is a question for you guys.  What length screw should I use to screw the back panel onto the strips.  Should I also use 2" screws or go a little shorter.  Since I may remove this panel some to work on the computer. 

I am not going with the hinge door on the front.

JustMichael

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2015, 01:19:40 am
  • Mmmmm!! Cheesecake!!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 10:43:00 pm »
I would use 1 1/2" screws.  If you are still having trouble with the screws, try rubbing the threads against a bar of soap before screwing in the screws.

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2022, 07:33:24 pm
  • Routers can do anything.
    • SimpleCase Custom Arcade Stick Enclosures
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 01:33:09 am »
I would use 1 1/2" screws.  If you are still having trouble with the screws, try rubbing the threads against a bar of soap before screwing in the screws.

Try drywall screws.

It's 9am. I'm calling it a nite.

NightGod

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2017, 06:59:58 pm
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 04:53:32 pm »
Maybe you aren't pre-drilling a big enough hole? I can't think of why you would be having that much trouble (though 24 torque is ALOT of torque-I do most of my screw insertion at about 10-12).
$6.75 the hard way-one quarter at a time.

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2006, 06:27:32 pm »
yep drywall screws, they will do exactly what u need.

rdowdy95

• Offline Offline
  • This is my rifle.
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006, 10:32:09 pm »
Alot of votes for drywall screws.  Tonight I did some things.  And it is funny my brother-n-law said the same thing about the soap.  Here is what I did diffrent tonight and it did the trick although I had to really push that drill in there.  I drilled with my normal 1/8 drill bit, then I put my countersink drill bit on there and countersinked about 1/4" in.  The screw went in a little better.  I still had to use some force, but it went in there.  I only screwed it in were it was flush. 

Now I am going to use drywall screws for sure when I do the monitor shelf.  I havn't fully attached the shelves yet.  I am just getting the cab back bottom, and the cabniet top strips attached.  I am going to stain the insides of the cabniet first, and then screw those two pieces in.  Also I am going to be pushing the left side of the cab side in a little to get the cab pieces to where there is no gaps.  Also when I do push it in the sides are perfectly level as well.  So sand, stain, and have someone push the side slightly while I screw in those panels.