Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hey wanna finally see my cabinet??  (Read 4539 times)

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
Hey wanna finally see my cabinet??
« on: March 18, 2003, 07:54:22 pm »
Well after hanging out on this board for 1 1/2 years and being done with my cabinet for about 9 months I finally got off my butt and made a simple little website for it. Check it out if you want...

www.jakobud.com

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
Re:Hey wanna finally see my cabinet??
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2003, 08:09:49 pm »
Well after hanging out on this board for 1 1/2 years and being done with my cabinet for about 9 months I finally got off my butt and made a simple little website for it. Check it out if you want...

www.jakobud.com
Even though you dont like me and bash around most of the time. :-[

I would say my honest opinion..you cabinet looks pretty good..
But questions,
is it scratch built?
It REALLY looks like a converted midway cabinet.

and now I remember something as well.you were to dude asking tv question almost about a year ago am I right?

thats your 24" wega as far I could remember(I red it somewhere).

anyway good job with the cab... :)

another silly question too..
where did you get that G I JOE font?
is that even a font or you just created a banner like that..
you know..REAL american hero...err...website ;Dits very cool(the banner).

Distortion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2016, 04:39:20 pm
  • Saints Row 2, Sucka
    • Volition
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2003, 08:35:29 pm »
Hey, that's a great cabinet.  Are you planning on making any sort of bezel to hide the silver TV?  I thought about using a flat screen for mine, but went with rounded cuz it looks more like a real arcade game.  I LOVE that control panel.  That's kinda what I had in mind for mine actually, except I was planning on making it rectangular with rounded edges.  Great job recreating the Midway look!
Game programmers do not play games for a living.  Would you say a mechanic drives cars for a living?

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2017, 09:52:03 pm
  • Bowowow
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2003, 11:34:28 pm »
Top job Jakobud.  Any chance on putting some of your plans on the site?  The pics of the inside of the panel shows a small gap between the panel and the cab, is this normally there?  Also how do you keep the lid of the panel down?

Again, good job.
-cdbrown

DeathMonk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2015, 02:01:12 pm
    • MameStation.3
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2003, 09:53:48 am »
Great looking piece of craftmanship...  One question though...  Where's the bezel!?

Now with cup beer holders!

mkdevo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 09:31:59 pm
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2003, 01:27:05 pm »
VERY nice, jakobud. i'm in the process of putting together a 4-player CP for a future cab, and the layout i came up with is very similar to yours. i much prefer the 4-player 'all-in-a-row' CP over the 4-player 'wraparound' CP. nicely done.

i think the only thing i would/will do differently is to make the 3-1 & 2-4 joysticks equidistant from each other, for a nice Smash TV setup.. other than that, i love it!

do you have the dimensions of your CP??

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2003, 01:51:12 pm »
Even though you dont like me and bash around most of the time. :-[

Not true, man :)

Yes it's scratch built.  I will take pictures of the internals if you want me to prove it :)   I was originally aiming for the Midway design but then I found LuSid's cabinet and I 'loosely' based them off of that.  I say 'loosely' because I definately had to make adjustments for my tv size.  And the internal frameing of the cabinet is all custom.  

The GIJoe font...I can't remember.  I think www.acidfonts.com.

Can I put up some plans for my cabinet??  Well maybe....in the beginning of course I had the whole thing layed out on paper with perfect plans but ended up making many adjustments here and there on the fly as I was building.... I will try to put together some plans someday if enough people are really interested.

I didn't want to put a bezel on my tv because I actually really like the look of the TV.  It's got this shiny brushed crome finish look to it and IMO I just dug it too much to cover it up.  After making that decision, I also decided to use the TV speakers as the primary speakers also.

Yeah there is a very slight gap between my CP and my cabinet.  I guess this just came from inperfect construction or something.  When the top of the control panel is closed you can't see this gap at all.  If people aren't going to see the gap then I wasn't too worried about fixing it.  As long as the CP is secure on the cabinet I was satisfied.

My CP is roughly 42" wide, 13" deep, and 6" tall.

Oh yeah, and mkdevo, good eye on seeing that the joysticks are not equidistant from eachother.  The reason I did this is because I wanted to space out all the joysticks based on the position of their corresponding buttons.  42" was already a hella wide CP and I wasn't about to throw in blank space between player 1 and 3 just to make it the same distance as player 2-4.  Anyways, SmashTV feels absolutely perfect on this thing, no matter which player you are playing.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2003, 01:56:13 pm by Jakobud »

Brax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2003, 05:35:38 pm »
The Mame logo looks awesome, great job.

I may have to beg for that artwork file later! ;)
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

CthulhuLuke

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 06:42:43 pm
  • old school
    • CthulhuLuke's Arcade Parodius
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2003, 04:23:32 am »
Very slick looking job on the cabinet.  Very professional and clean looking finish on the whole thing.  My only complaint would be spacing when playing 4 player games, but oh well.  I think that's the first cabinet I've seen use a 24" Sony Wega, very very awesome, I love my 20" Sony.  My only question, or request maybe, would be if you could take some pictures of how you mounted the computer in there.  Cause I know you used a Micro-ATX, but I'm curious as to whether you went with a full size power supply, or you used one of those mini-power supplies I always see on Micro-ATX computers.
  -Also, if you like Bomberman 94 so much, definitely give Mega Bomberman for the Genesis a try, you'll thank me later.  1-player is REALLLy good.  Gens is the best Genesis emulator out there, and is actually updated sometimes, which is suprising for such an old system's emulator.
   -Good stuff
      -CthulhuLuke

mkdevo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 09:31:59 pm
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2003, 07:55:09 am »
My CP is roughly 42" wide, 13" deep, and 6" tall.

Oh yeah, and mkdevo, good eye on seeing that the joysticks are not equidistant from eachother.  The reason I did this is because I wanted to space out all the joysticks based on the position of their corresponding buttons.  42" was already a hella wide CP and I wasn't about to throw in blank space between player 1 and 3 just to make it the same distance as player 2-4.  Anyways, SmashTV feels absolutely perfect on this thing, no matter which player you are playing.

thanks for the info, jakobud.. yeah, i'd figure smash tv would feel fine either way... i think for me it's more of a cosmetic thing than anything else.. of course, we'll see how i feel once i actually have it all laid out in front of me..  ;)

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2003, 02:03:41 pm »
Very slick looking job on the cabinet.  Very professional and clean looking finish on the whole thing.  My only complaint would be spacing when playing 4 player games, but oh well.  I think that's the first cabinet I've seen use a 24" Sony Wega, very very awesome, I love my 20" Sony.  My only question, or request maybe, would be if you could take some pictures of how you mounted the computer in there.  Cause I know you used a Micro-ATX, but I'm curious as to whether you went with a full size power supply, or you used one of those mini-power supplies I always see on Micro-ATX computers.
  -Also, if you like Bomberman 94 so much, definitely give Mega Bomberman for the Genesis a try, you'll thank me later.  1-player is REALLLy good.  Gens is the best Genesis emulator out there, and is actually updated sometimes, which is suprising for such an old system's emulator.
   -Good stuff
      -CthulhuLuke

Thanks for the props.  Well I used a fullsize power supply.  It's not like I'm strapped for space on the inside or anything. As for how I mounted the motherboard, basically, I took one of those computer cases where the motherboard tray slides out the back and I pulled that tray out.  Then I mounted that tray 'vertically' inside the cabinet.  Then I just slapped the mobo on there and that's it.  I mounted the power supply using some 'L-brackets' that I screwed into it and I have it setup near the rear door, with a exhaust fan lined up with it's own fan to get that heat outta there.  Then I have a power strip just mounted on the inside also.  Not much to it :)

I will try that Genesis Bomberman you recommended. Thanks!