Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Xcelerator - Xbox driving cab  (Read 120083 times)

theCoder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
Re: Xcelerator - Xbox driving cab
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2006, 11:13:38 pm »
Xbox Boot Screens and Power Switch
I spent a little time today tinkering with my Xbox.  I want to get rid of all evidence of the fact that it is an Xbox and have it boot to my custom splash screen and menu skin.  I got rid of the green "flubber" animation screen at boot-up by making a change to a configuration file.  I also learned how to have Avalaunch (Xbox menuing software) display my own graphic instead of its own on start-up.  I also played around with some images for a skin, but don't like what I've come up with so far.

I hacked in a remote switch to power the Xbox.  I got the front panel off (remove cover, remove hard drive, unplug yellow wire bundle, gently pull, twist, & squeeze plate).  There were 4 terminals behind the power switch.  With the power on, I tried shorting out combinations of the leads.  With one combination, the machine shut down.  I either just fried my machine or found the magic combination.  The moment of truth came when I shorted them together again (drum roll please...) the machine started up.  When I picked up the dome light yesterday, there was a multi-wire connector on it.  I made sure to cut it off past the connector.  Using the connector will allow me or my son to quickly remove the Xbox from the cab if it is needed elsewhere.  (My son went to his first all-night Xbox LAN party a few weeks ago.  Apparently you are more popular if you show up with two boxes.)   I routed the wire out the back then soldered one side of the connector to the wires.  Shorting these two wires together now starts and stops the box.  I'll wire the other end to a dashboard mounted button and the other side of the connector.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2006, 11:43:35 pm »
It's going to be hard to get my son to give up the hardware I've acquired for this project.  Here's a shot of the him enjoying the components as they're coming together.  Even with cheap speakers, the stereo adds a new dimension to the game.  The car seat is very comfortable and the vibrations you get in your rear-end from each machine gun blast is also very cool.

Lutus

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2012, 10:58:10 am
  • "I love my Power Glove. It's so BAD!"
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2006, 12:19:51 am »
Hey hey!!  Great news about the reset on any controller.  Very rarely do good things like that work out that easily.
-----------------------------
www.justin.tv/lutus8
www.encoreinstruction.com <-- for my fellow musicians

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2006, 09:13:02 pm »
Controller Hack & Rumbler Test
Today I rigged up a controller to test the rumblers in the seat.  I figured that anything I do with the hand held controller will be leveragable to the wheel, and there will be times when I want to use a hand held controller anyway.  If I'm using a controller, it might as well make the seat rumble.  I needed to get the rumble signals from the controller.  I also need the controller to "plug" into the chair circuit.  Telephone hardware proved to be a good fit.  The current is low and hardware is cheap.

Getting the signals from the controller was very straight forward.  I brought the phone wire through a hole in the controller where the second expansion pack goes.  I tied a knot is the wire to keep it from tugging on the solder joints.  I then soldered the black to black, red to one of the motors red, and the green to the other motors red.  The black is ground and so I only needed one connection.

I picked up a 2-to-1 phone plug at the local dollar store.  This will allow me to connect both the wheel and a controller at the same time.  I'll just leave them both plugged in.  I wired the two relay commons from my custom circuit to the black, one primary to red, and the other to green.  I also hooked up a benchtop 5vdc supply to the contact side of the relays going to the motors. 

Good news and bad.  It worked.  Both sets of motors rotated.  I could definitely feel both sides, and one is stronger than the other.  I'm very pleased with how much vibration is transferred through the chair.  One stick came loose and I'm going to go in and put on a lot more hot glue all over the place.  The bad news is the relays chatter loudly when activated.  This is especially the case with machine gun fire.  I suspect the controller is providing variable voltage to the motors, which is going above and below the turn-on voltage of the relays.  I'll let it run for a few weeks and see if it wears out the relays.  If not, I'm good and will just move them to the front part of the cab (so I don't hear them as much).  I might also put in a capacitor to see if it smooths things out.  I'm not an Electrical Engineer, most of this stuff is trial and error for me.

One thing I have decided is that I don't want my custom circuit mounted in the chair.  Maintenance is going to be a pain back there.  I'll bring it to the front compartment and run some 5 conductor wire back to the seat.  This will minimize my chances of having to crawl back there or worse yet, have to remove the chair, to fix a bad relay.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2006, 01:21:25 am »
Here's a short mpg video (900K) of the rumblers in action.  I found a place in Halo that I could control this for the video.  In this action, both sets of motors are activated.  Listen to the noisy relays.  It goes off twice, each time I pull the trigger (in the lower left corner of the image). 
http://home.comcast.net/~larmead/images/rumbler_movie.mpg
Somethings got to change.

Glaine

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2013, 12:09:17 pm
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2006, 02:34:14 pm »
I just remembered there was some guy a whiles back that put a projector in a real car and used it as a game simulator, what was awesome was that he wired the speed meters to move along with the game. How, I don't know. He was using commands inside of a Nascar game I think.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2006, 05:12:54 pm »
Coder -

Excellent work as always! I've been reading this with a lot of interest. Keep it up!

Lewis

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2006, 12:47:37 pm »
how did you get rid of the xbox green flab start up screen ???
edit bios or . . . ??

project looking great so far !

clanggedin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 02, 2012, 11:08:55 pm
  • O'DOYLE RULES!!!
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2006, 04:22:05 pm »
It's easy to remove the Xbox startup junk in the bios. There are a few programs out there that can do it. Just uncheck the box and save, threload the new bios onto the Xbox.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2006, 10:19:50 pm »
how did you get rid of the Xbox green flab start up screen ???
edit bios or . . . ??

project looking great so far !
My Xbox came with a version of the X2 bios (don't know the specific version).  I dug around and found that the more recent versions of this bios supports a config file.  It is called x2config.ini.  It lets you control a number of parameters of the boot sequence including turning off the flubber animation (green machine with floating balls), change its colors, turn off the sound, etc.  Google for x2config.ini for more info.

Thanks for the compliments guys. 

I'm on hold with the woodworking 'til my friends shop frees up.  Perhaps next week...

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2006, 06:29:55 pm »
Volume Control
I was really sweating how I was going to get the volume pot out of the stereo to mount it on the front panel.  The pot has about 12 solder points to the PCB.  I could unsolder it out, but that makes me nervous.  It is on its own PCB that has two ribbon cables with about 20 wires.  It would be easy but time consuming to cut the cables and solder in 12

richms

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2022, 02:33:54 am
  • s92a sucks
    • richms.com
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2006, 03:22:05 am »
The rumble motors arnt just on/off, they are pwm controlled at various frequancies to give different sensations. This will be why the relay chatters. Its also going to kill the relay in a short time and not very nice to listen to while gaming.

You should be able to get away with some transistors to drive the motors in the seat instead of a relay. Throw an optoisolator in there if you want to keep the isolation that the relay gives you.

http://www.sampson-jeff.com/tcrobowar/motor1/bipolar.htm shows the idea of using a transistor. Use 1kohm for R1...

I can draw a schematic for it with an optoisolator if you want, no schematic software on the laptop so it will be a photoshop one tho.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2006, 12:16:59 pm »
The rumble motors arnt just on/off, they are pwm controlled at various frequancies to give different sensations. This will be why the relay chatters. Its also going to kill the relay in a short time and not very nice to listen to while gaming.

You should be able to get away with some transistors to drive the motors in the seat instead of a relay. Throw an optoisolator in there if you want to keep the isolation that the relay gives you.

http://www.sampson-jeff.com/tcrobowar/motor1/bipolar.htm shows the idea of using a transistor. Use 1kohm for R1...

I can draw a schematic for it with an optoisolator if you want, no schematic software on the laptop so it will be a photoshop one tho.
In college I built a PLC from a bag of opto-isolator chips I picked up from a surplus place.  You could save me a bunch of time and keep the magic smoke from escaping from the chips if you could spare me the time to draw it up.  Thanks for the offer.

This project would be much simpler if I  could drive 3 small motors off of the line designed to drive one.   I'm just concerned that the current might be too high for the XBox source to handle.  That is why I went with relays.  Is there a way to keep the analog nature of the input, but increase the # of motors (i.e. increase the current load)?

richms

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2022, 02:33:54 am
  • s92a sucks
    • richms.com
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2006, 08:59:15 pm »
In college I built a PLC from a bag of opto-isolator chips I picked up from a surplus place.  You could save me a bunch of time and keep the magic smoke from escaping from the chips if you could spare me the time to draw it up.  Thanks for the offer.

This project would be much simpler if I  could drive 3 small motors off of the line designed to drive one.   I'm just concerned that the current might be too high for the XBox source to handle.  That is why I went with relays.  Is there a way to keep the analog nature of the input, but increase the # of motors (i.e. increase the current load)?

Try this, if the motors keep going when the xbox isnt signalling then it may need a pull down resistor on the input to the transistor depending on how leaky the optoisolator is. The last few things I have done have been fine, I just use whatever transistor is in the latest grab bag I have gotten, its only when you get to high voltages or currents you have to pay attention to the ratings and make sure you give it sufficiant base current. If the motors are too weak, then reduce R2, no lower then 100 ohms as that should be more then enough. it just depends on the transistors gain. The TIP120 is popular, but may have excess gain being that its a darlington

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2006, 07:41:11 pm »
Quote from: richms link=topic=57479.msg575021#msg575021
Try this...
Thanks.  This should give me something to do while waiting to cut wood.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2006, 02:38:51 am »
Platform
Finally !!!!! cut'n wood.
I picked up a big pile of wood yesterday, then headed to Jim's to initially rough in some big pieces.  One thing lead to another, and I've now got my base. 

The basic structure is made with 2x4's and the deck is 1/2" birch plywood.  The front side was made a little taller than the other sides to support the front access panel (I'll write this up later with drawings...similar to an Atari cab back panel.)

The build went very well and fast.  I used lots of wood glue and screws.  All that is left is to trim the top surface flush to the 2x4's with a router.  It feels so good to finally have some sawdust.

Work takes me out of town this weekend and into next week.  Lots more to do when I return.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2006, 02:07:45 am »
Speakers
I got back from a business trip to find my local Goodwill had replenished their supply of speaker stacks.  I picked out the best pair of the bunch for $35.    The 12" woofers will be mounted behind the seat, the mids in the dash, and the tweeters pointing down from the above the TV.  This should give me great separation. 

Tonight I also drew out the entrance profile on one of the side 4x8 sheets, hoping to cut it out.  One idea lead to another, and I decided to re-think my dashboard design before committing to the profile.  This project would be so much easier the second time around !

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2006, 04:03:57 pm »
The sides are finally cut!  The profile was hand sketched based on my scale drawing.  The two sides were screwed together to cut them at the same time.  I am not sure this was the best approach because the cut was not perpendicular in a number of places.  The blade angled in some cases up to 10 degrees.  To address this, I used a drum sander upside down as a makeshift hand tool.  Jim refused to have any pictures taken of this process.  I'm sure it looked comical using a large 30 pound bench top sanding machine as a hand held trimmer.  It was mostly safe (!! ??).  Anyway, a little more hand filing and sanding is in order, before cutting the t-molding slots then attaching to the base.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2006, 01:45:56 am »
Try this...
Works great!  Much quieter.  Thanks for the input richms.  I Googled the parts and found an on-line vendor.  The most expensive part was shipping.  I picked up 8 opto chips and 4 power transistors.  The optos are cool.  This should quiet things down quite a bit.  I'm also thinking of bringing the LED's to the dash somewhere to see what I'm feeling when the Xbox gives me a rumble.  Minus shipping, this was about a $3 project.  Much better than the original circuit using relays.

psychotech

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 27, 2011, 11:01:50 pm
    • psychotech
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2006, 07:09:38 pm »
Awesome!

So, from micro to macro.. Looks mighty fine!

PS. "the cut was not perpendicular" - I had the same problem even with two sheets of only 10mm MDF clamped together.. Well, hand filing and sanding never hurt anyone...

All the best with the build.  :applaud:

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2006, 01:48:28 am »
Awesome!  So, from micro to macro.. Looks mighty fine!
Thanks.  It`s really different, man handling 4x8 ft. sheets of plywood vs. finessing 18x1 inch cross members.  On the Partybox (micro) the focus was reduced size & weight and sweeping lines.  It came in at approximately 19 in. cubed and weighs around 29 pounds.  It was very tricky getting all the components to fit.  You can carry it with one hand.  On this project (macro) the focus is all about gaming experience.  Big amp & speakers, base shaker and rumbler motors in the seat, large screen, robust pedals, ergo considerations, etc..  The stereo components alone on this project outweigh the entire Partybox.  It will be around 4x6.5 ft. and weigh somewhere around 250 pounds when all is said and done. The Partybox can travel in the passenger seat of my car.  This thing is going to require a pick-up truck and a strong friend to move.  The funny thing is the macro will probably take as much time and money to build as the micro.  Go figure.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2006, 03:16:38 am »
Structure Roughed In
Today was very productive.  I've finally got the sides on !  This is something I've been waiting a long time to get to.  You can now get a feel for the size this thing is going to be.

My friend has this great tool (I forget the name) to put screws in at a 10 degree angle.  It is designed for this type of application.  Instead of screwing in a block of 2x2, you just screw the two pieces of plywood together.  Apparently this is how the pro's do it (check your wooden desk or chest of drawers.)

Before putting the sides on, I marked the height of the TV shelf, and put in a couple of supports.  I figured this would be easier to get right while the sides were off.

The sides went on fairly easy.  I first put on the back piece.  It was very critical that this piece be square to the edges.  It took a little finessing to get it right.  A lot of glue and woodscrews later, and it's taking shape.  This was definitely a job for two people.

I'm thinking of using smoked Plexiglas on the top surface.  I haven't figured out yet how I'm going to handle the rounded edges; maybe just a series of 2 to 5 slats.  I probably won't spend all the effort of doing a ribbed/skinned surface like my previous project.

Ideas or comments?

NightGod

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2017, 06:59:58 pm
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2006, 09:45:07 am »
Structure Roughed In
Today was very productive.  I've finally got the sides on !  This is something I've been waiting a long time to get to.  You can now get a feel for the size this thing is going to be.

My friend has this great tool (I forget the name) to put screws in at a 10 degree angle.  It is designed for this type of application.  Instead of screwing in a block of 2x2, you just screw the two pieces of plywood together.  Apparently this is how the pro's do it (check your wooden desk or chest of drawers.)
Pocket Jig, of which Kreg seems to be the most popular brand.
$6.75 the hard way-one quarter at a time.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2006, 02:23:00 am »
I've been spending a lot of quality time around the house this week, away from the project (storing up the shop time credits).  While sitting on the couch, I started messing around with artwork for the project.  Given that this is an Xbox based cab, I wanted to include the Xbox X in the title.  With a little search I found a photoshop tutorial on the topic at:  http://www.pagecurve.com/tutorial.php?id=46_0_1_0

Any comments on the following drafts would be appreciated.

psychotech

• Offline Offline
    • psychotech
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2006, 04:34:36 am »
As this thread is about Xcelerator I'd say you should get rid of the other c on the logo ??
Other than that, hmm, are you sure it has to be the 'actual' Xbox X in there ..

Well, anyway; more pix, more pix, as always ;)

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2006, 05:38:51 am »
bigger text and thicker border would be better and black background maybe. white is too "xbox 360ish" :dunno

whatzcrackn

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2019, 12:14:02 pm
  • U just won tickets to da 'GUN SHOW'
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2006, 02:34:28 pm »
Why not use a font that makes the letters look like they are xcelerating. 

psychotech

• Offline Offline
    • psychotech
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2006, 06:00:15 pm »

..don't know 'bout if these are 'xcelerating', but anyway ..here's my take.. The Cab (still) looks good - but we're yearning for new pictures ......................................., U know

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2006, 06:10:55 pm »
Damn man... this thing is looking good. Nice to see it taking shape. Good work coder (as always!)

As for a name:
LeapinLew's Lamborghini

and I'll give you a shipping address so you can send me this cab when it's done.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2006, 11:27:39 pm »
As this thread is about Xcelerator I'd say you should get rid of the other c on the logo ??
The car part referenced here is an "Accelerator".  I go back and forth on the spelling.  I think I'll keep it with one C per the thread topic and your comment.  Good catch.

bigger text and thicker border would be better and black background maybe. white is too "xbox 360ish" :dunno
Good input.  Thanks.

Nice, I'll give it a go.

...we're yearning for new pictures ........
Work & home life have been hectic lately, not enough hours in the day.  I'm about to start a major bathroom remodel and need to get this cab ready to paint soon.  I hope to play hooky from work Friday and make more progress.  Stay tuned.

Damn man... this thing is looking good. Nice to see it taking shape. Good work coder (as always!)   As for a name:  LeapinLew's Lamborghini
and I'll give you a shipping address so you can send me this cab when it's done.
Sure.  You pay shipping and handling.  Shipping will be somewhere around $600.  The handling on the other hand will be somewhere around $4,500.  PM me and I'll tell you where to send the money order.

Thanks for the input guys.

Glaine

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2013, 12:09:17 pm
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2006, 04:58:10 pm »
As far as the fan system:

Easiest way is as said before - to hook it up with a variable pot.
But would be really cool to just put it on an On/Off rocker and when it's on have it blow harder or softer by using the gas pedal as a register. So you really get the Wind in the Hair effect.

Man its great to throw out fun ideas of increasing difficulty when you don't have to do em. I can't even build a box for the life of me. Speaking of, I like your wood frame too.

I like your overhead light, my dad's truck has that same light. And I like the italic font art submitted by crackn. Though I personally don't like the X-Box symbol, but of the choices I like that.

FunWithFire

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 07, 2009, 01:17:30 am
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2006, 05:41:50 pm »
Seems weird to me that you would go through the trouble of removing the Xbox load up screen, then still use the logo in the name. You didn't want people to realize it was an Xbox, but then you are reminding them.

Xcelerator is a good name, but you don't need the Xbox 'X' in there I think.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2006, 10:53:56 pm »
So a few folks don’t like the Xbox X.  I think it is cool.  Ultimately it is my decision, but what do you think?

Woofer Cabinet
Here are some pictures of the 12” woofer speaker “cabinet” for the project.  It is one large piece of ¾” plywood.  The edges are cut at 45 degrees for a nice fit with the cab.  In an attempt to get good sound (like I know how to do this???) I put in a divider between the two speakers and a port hole per side.  The divider will effectively make them two separate acoustic devices.  Without it, one would affect the other.  Apparently you can tune speaker cabinets by the diameter of the portholes.  Unfortunately I don’t have all the high tech gear to do this.  A 1 ½” Forstner bit was handy and I decided to use it.  I’m sure it will be fine.  I haven’t decided how to cover it yet, maybe with the original fabric, or maybe some felt.  The seat will be approximately 6” in front of these puppies.  This thing is going to rock !

More Wood
I also cut the top wood piece and frames for the front-top surface.  The top piece was very tricky to get in.  I was by myself and had to rely on 4 clamps, and a bit of finesse.  It is not in permanently though.  I’m planning on covering the entire back and top surfaces with a sheet of smoked Plexiglas.  I still need to route a groove in this piece so the Plexiglas will mate flush. 

The top front needs to be removable.  This is so I can get to the TV in case it dies.  I’m going to make a structure similar to the one I did on the PartyBox project.  The contoured sides will have 1x2” ribs between them with a 3/16” skin of pressboard.  The entire piece will slip in and out.  I’m thinking of using a slot and clamp at the top because it will be tight in there with the TV in place.  At the bottom I’ll have more access room so it will be pinned with wood screws.  More to come.

MaMeNnO

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2021, 10:06:42 am
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2006, 02:35:32 am »
About the Xbox X, what I think is that the whole image should look as one.

I can't wait to see this cab finished! Keep up the great work and write up! :applaud:

GadgetGeek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2014, 09:59:01 am
  • whatever
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2006, 12:37:30 pm »
I don't know how visible the back side of the cab will be, but if it will be visible, consider putting in a license plate marquee as well.  The Xcelerator logo would be good there as well.

Keep up the good work.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2006, 09:59:58 pm »
I got in some more time today.  My primary objective was to get the front frame piece done.  I didn...<whoa, part of this post got dropped, I'll try to re-create >

I didn't quite make it, but got all but the outerskin done.  I need to be able to access the TV in case it dies someday.  It won't come through the door, so it's got to come out the front.  The front frame will be removable, held in with rotary clamps.  I had to put in small blocks to pull the frame down and in.  The skin will be 1/8" pressboard screwed & glued to the ribs.  I also made small wedge blocks for the angled supports on the seat, and a cross beam at the top rear to support the Plexiglas.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2006, 02:18:51 am »
This cabinet will require a video... make sure to post one of the cabinet in action.

The opening to the cab... it big enough for a portly fellow?

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:49 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2006, 03:27:03 am »
Seat Effects
I really want to max out the sensory stimulus on this project.  The drivers seat will provide two physical effects.  Both involve vibrations.  This entry describes a low frequency sound effect driven by the audio of the game and an array of rumbler motors driven by the rumbler outputs of the controller.

ButtKicker
In my research for this project I came across a thing called a bass shaker.  It is basically a subwoofer minus the paper cone.  Instead of creating sound waves in the air, they produce sound vibrations in whatever they are physically mounted to.  The net result is the chest thumping vibrations (or rear-end in my case) you get while cranking up the volume without blowing out your family or neighbors.  The Guitammer Company has a bass shaker product called the ButtKicker.

http://www.thebuttkicker.com/ButtKicker%20Gamer_home.html

It comes with its own 100-watt amplifier!  They regularly sell for $100 plus shipping, but I picked on up on Amazon for $39 ($89 minus $50 rebate plus free shipping).  I mounted it inside the chair, on the lower frame.

i think the dudes in the unit next door have several of those bolted to the fricken floor! gets so i cant think straight! anyway, love what youre doing so far! very complicated, but it sure is going to be worth it...

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2006, 12:49:08 pm »
The opening to the cab... it big enough for a portly fellow?
The widest spot is a little more than 2".  I'm 210 lb. & 6 ft. and have a bit of a gut, and have no problems getting in and out.  I know this because yesterday I went in and out about 100 times building the front panel - my knees and back are killing me.  A 300 lb. 5 ft.  5" guy might have a bit of a problem getting in.

i think the dudes in the unit next door have several of those bolted to the fricken floor! gets so i cant think straight!

I'm about to become one of those neighbors.  <cue evil laugh sound effect>

...very complicated
If you break it down, there is no real rocket science here, just a lot of little things.  I'm no genius, I just do a lot of research on how other people have done things, and am not afraid to try and fail.  For example, the relay circuit I did took 2 tries to get right.  Even then, I threw it out to make the one recommended by richms.  And the Buttkicker thing, I just did some research on home audio, found the reference to base shakers, looked a little more and found this item.  It just plugs in.  Nothing fancy. 

As long as it's not too expensive, I've got safety glasses on, and a fire extinguisher handy, I'll pretty much try anything.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2006, 10:05:53 pm »
...never mind.