Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ian's 4-player Mame Arcade  (Read 4055 times)

Ian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
Ian's 4-player Mame Arcade
« on: November 13, 2007, 10:00:23 am »
I have very limited space in my apartment, 0 to no wood working skills, 0 electrical skills, and decent computer skills. This is what I am currently making....

http://www.iansarcade.blogspot.com/

Let me know what you think? I have been working on this since September 17th 2007.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 11:43:01 am by Ian »
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

bfauska

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2023, 04:41:45 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
Re: Ian's Mame Arcade
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 05:52:34 pm »
Looks pretty good, too bad about the wrinkles, but it was free right?

It dawned on me when I was looking at the picture about freeing up space (the mostly assembled cab in your room) that if you used anything more permanent that bolts (like glue) it's going to suck to have to break that thing apart if/when you move.  I'm sure you planned for that though.

Congratulations on the helpful wife.  My wife doesn't hate my cabinets or anything, but if I tried to get her inside one to help me out I think she'd come up with some uncomfortable suggestions of places I could put the cab instead.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 01:17:36 am »
Not bad, not bad at all..
I have some of those Namco tokens somewhere..
You need to learn to use that router, even though you didnt do bad with the chisel, the router will be much faster and neater..

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 08:42:59 am »
Looks pretty good, too bad about the wrinkles, but it was free right?

It dawned on me when I was looking at the picture about freeing up space (the mostly assembled cab in your room) that if you used anything more permanent that bolts (like glue) it's going to suck to have to break that thing apart if/when you move.  I'm sure you planned for that though.

Congratulations on the helpful wife.  My wife doesn't hate my cabinets or anything, but if I tried to get her inside one to help me out I think she'd come up with some uncomfortable suggestions of places I could put the cab instead.

yeah the artwork is blah, but free. It looks much better in person as far as the wrinkles are concerned. But what looks bad in person and not so much the photos is the "wet" look the glossy paper is doing to me right now... eh I'm over it. :)

As far as breaking down this thing... it is going to be a chore... it took me a while to break it down the first time to get it into the room. however I put it together using half the screws and bolts... so It shouldn't be too hard. I don't plan on moving for a couple of years anyway.

And the wife.... she has been more than supportive. I know I would be pissed if she took over one of our rooms for her entertainment... but she likes pac-man and most arcade games, as long as they are simple and only require pressing a couple buttons.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 08:45:44 am »
Not bad, not bad at all..
I have some of those Namco tokens somewhere..
You need to learn to use that router, even though you didnt do bad with the chisel, the router will be much faster and neater..

I agree 100%... the router from my father was pretty old, and missing many many parts. I thought it would take the same amount of time figuring out the router as it would to just chisel the 1/16 around the track ball.
Next project I am just going to buy a new router.

Thanks for responding guys... thought I wasn't going to get any love, for my cabinet.

It's better in person... Still working on the monitor and computer right now..

bfauska

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2023, 04:41:45 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 11:04:02 am »
Thanks for responding guys... thought I wasn't going to get any love, for my cabinet.

Your responses will probably be fairly limited in the forum if you only post the outside link.  Most of us (including me usually) are way to lazy to go to another site and follow a blog, we'd rather just scan through the pics and see if anything catches our interest here.

Namco

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2024, 06:12:56 pm
  • Now addicted to Williams pins... all of them.
    • Freddo Mame Project
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 10:02:24 pm »

Your responses will probably be fairly limited in the forum if you only post the outside link.  Most of us (including me usually) are way to lazy to go to another site and follow a blog, we'd rather just scan through the pics and see if anything catches our interest here.

My project page is on a blogger blog. It drives me crazy that I can't reverse the order of the posts, so like yours, you end up reading it backwards. What I'm doing instead is taking the highlights and putting them in a forum thread. The blog is full of crazy detail on the project, and the post is just the good stuff  :P

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 10:44:54 am »
Some build pics....

This arcade started out as an X-men VS Street Fighter, then my buddy attempted a mame cab... and failed. So I picked up where he left off.... then I realized, it would be better to start fresh. So this is kind of a restoration/build from scratch/mame restoration. (you guys following this?)

Here are some sanding shots... (exciting no?)

The cab had some kind of plasticy laminet stuff on the outside, that really was a pain in the ass to get rid of. 

« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 10:47:32 am by Ian »

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 10:48:48 am »
Painting time!

Primer

Black Glossy paint