Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Autocad Library?  (Read 14227 times)

medley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 27, 2006, 10:23:05 pm
Autocad Library?
« on: March 17, 2003, 04:24:02 pm »
I know there are at least a few Autocad users, and there has been some talk about starting a standard library of parts.
How many people have already started their own?
Who else would like to have a standard library?
i'm just curious.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
Re:Autocad Library?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2003, 07:32:23 pm »
It would sure be helpful for me.  I'm designing my first control panel and I can't be very specific about it until my happ order arrives so I can get all the dimensions for joystics, etc.  Not really sure how much room they require underneath the panel.  Actually now that I'm writing this it occurs to me that I could just check the exploded and mounting views on Happ's website.  Nevertheless, a standard library would be nice  8)
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

RubbrDug

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2003, 05:33:44 am
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2003, 11:32:32 pm »
Can't add anything very useful to this, because I don't use AutoCAD.

I designed my Control Panel in CorelDraw and made the drawings for the Buttons, Joysticks and Trackball from the measurements given at Happs. This worked pretty well. I read somewhere that these measurements aren't 100 percent accurate, but maybe they corrected this in the meantime or whatever.

After designing the Panel I mirrored the drawing, printed it and glued it (with spray-glue) to the backside of the panel. All drilling and cutting was then made through the paper. No problems and really easy to do.

Of course, this is only poor mans 2-dimensional-CAD, but if someone is interested, I'll mail the drawing with the parts. All measurements in cm not inch.

RubbrDug

AceTKK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2011, 01:14:48 am
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2003, 12:54:11 am »
It definately would come in handy for anyone designing their own control panel.  I can help provide measurements but I don't know how to build a library yet.

-Ace-
I want my own arcade controls!

Birdtales

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2020, 10:00:31 am
  • You won't like me when I'm angry.
    • Birdtales
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2003, 01:19:57 am »
When I built my control panel I used Autocad 2002. I read every single example on the examples page and this one was the one I collected my button and joystick drawings from.

http://www.cryptnet1.net/mame/download/index.html

Great cabinet and a great starting point for a library.

Coming Soon

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2003, 04:46:01 am »
Making parts would be pretty easy. Just make them into blocks and save them out individually.  There has to be some sort of standard scale for all the parts though.

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2003, 06:43:57 am »
I have been working on this occasionally in my spare time.  I have some of the common Happ stuff drawn already - Super joystick, 3" Trackball, buttons, a couple monitors.  I am drawing everything full scale in inches.

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 09, 2007, 09:29:50 am
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2003, 08:09:21 am »
I can contribute as well...can even help with putting together a search and download library, if putting it somewhere would help.  I'm in the process of creating a "users" area on the www.mameroom.com website where users can share/upload/download files, message boards, etc...a block library would be a great addition, but at the very least...I have a couple of blocks to add to the library (wherever it gets hosted).

medley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2003, 08:11:31 am »
I have only roughly drawn my parts in autocad. by roughtly i mean i rounded off to the nearest 1/16" and Happs diagrams don't give every dimension, but they do give the important ones. I would be willing to make exact drawings to save other people the time i have spent just drawing parts. and the files can be opened in illustrator also. and 3d parts can be opened in 3dstudio. I know some people use those programs also.
Hmm, I forgot that we are the only ones who don't use the metric system. how many people here use the metric system?

)p(

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2009, 03:38:15 am
  • We are the Galaxians...
    • Emulaxian:cabinet and frontend
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2003, 11:27:14 am »

Hmm, I forgot that we are the only ones who don't use the metric system. how many people here use the metric system?

me :-)

peter

Bill_S

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2018, 08:23:57 am
  • aka buzzdalf
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2003, 11:59:11 am »
How much space would be required to host the library?

I don't use much of the space allocated to me by my ISP.  Would it all fit in there?

Birdtales

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2020, 10:00:31 am
  • You won't like me when I'm angry.
    • Birdtales
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2003, 12:35:50 pm »

me :-)

peter

Once the library is started it wouldn't take much to convert it to or from metric in AutoCad. Not to mention with distiller it would be another short step to PDF for folks who dont have Autocad and want to "cut and paste" a control panel.

Coming Soon

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2003, 12:49:09 pm »
1up has already modelled many of the individual parts of a control panel in 3D Studio and has made them available on his website.  It is by no means complete, and many parts are not there, but it's a great start/contribution to any library.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2003, 12:59:15 pm »
How about starting a list?
The popular ones people would need:
happ super
happ competition
happ ultimate
happ triggerstick
happ 360
happ rotary
happ ms.pacman replacement 4-way
happ comp pushbutton
happ horiz pushbutton
happ 3" trackball /w mounting plate
happ 3" highball trackball /w mounting plate
(maybe other ones, too, but 3" seem like most popular)
oscar spinners (and joystick restrictors?)
and
wico ball top joys?
SNK ls-30s?
various pushbuttons (like atari cone start button, or small momentary contact buttons for system controls)
leaf buttons/switches
t-stick, j-stick, etc
cup holder
- these are just suggestions-  

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2003, 01:44:11 pm »
I was actually planning on hosting my library right on the Oscar Controls site because I have plenty space and bandwidth, that's not a problem.  My biggest problem is the amount I time I have available to work on my drawings.   :)

What types of drawings would be most useful?  2D, 3D?  I have most of my stuff already drawn in 2D, either section views or plan views, but some of the simpler things like buttons I have in 3D.  It's extremely easy to convert between imperial and metric units, so as long as everything is drawn full scale it really shouldn't matter.

Here's a shot of one of the pushbuttons I've been working on.

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2003, 02:05:13 pm »
Come on now Oscar...I don't see the threads on the pushbutton.... ;)

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2003, 02:24:58 pm »
Come on now Oscar...I don't see the threads on the pushbutton.... ;)

Well, that was just one of my models.  I have them on one of my study drawings, along with the Happ Ms. Pac/Galaga stick.   :)

medley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2003, 08:52:23 pm »
I think a  library sould contain 2d and 3d models.
it's not hard to turn 2d models into 3d. maybe parts should be done in 2d first?

WOW looks like oscar is well on his way already.

hmm, I never even noticed 1up's 3ds models before. looks like he has the required area for the parts blocked out. i'm not sure about the dimensions yet, but they look good, thats all thats really needed.

I don't have many parts i could contribute. but i do have time. if i can get dimmensions i will be more than willing to make 2d and 3d drawings.
I can also help refine or work on anyones drawings for those who don't have much spare time.

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2003, 06:47:35 am »
I think a  library sould contain 2d and 3d models.
it's not hard to turn 2d models into 3d. maybe parts should be done in 2d first?

WOW looks like oscar is well on his way already.

hmm, I never even noticed 1up's 3ds models before. looks like he has the required area for the parts blocked out. i'm not sure about the dimensions yet, but they look good, thats all thats really needed.

I don't have many parts i could contribute. but i do have time. if i can get dimmensions i will be more than willing to make 2d and 3d drawings.
I can also help refine or work on anyones drawings for those who don't have much spare time.

I agree, each part should have both 2D and 3D components.  However if just the 3D parts are provided, the 2D views can be extracted from them no problem without having to draw or measure anything.  Going from 2D to 3D is normally a bit more work, especially if one of the 2D views is wrong and you have conflicting information shown between the views.

I think it would almost be necessary to have the part available to measure while you draw if it were to have any level of accuracy since only basic dimensions are given for the Happ parts, and almost none from any other manufacturer.  I have also found that sometimes the dimensions given on the Happ schematics are not always accurate.  What I've been doing is measuring the parts with calipers while I draw and it actually goes pretty quickly when I have time to just sit down and do it.  Over the years I've had the opportunity to collect many parts and I think I have everything on Frosty's list + some, although I may have to go digging through some closets to find them.  On second glance, I guess I don't have the Happ trigger stick or any of Andy's sticks yet, but in time I'm sure I will acquire them.  :)

I had a chance to work on the Happ 3" hi-lip trackball a little bit last night...

Ben

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2006, 09:31:50 pm
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2003, 09:36:06 am »
Oscar's right on this. You want to do them in 3D. If you do them in 3D, you basically get the 2D for free.

I'm not an Autocad user, but I do a lot of modeling like this for work. I could do them in my package and export them as .dxf files though. Unfortunately, I'm just getting started in this, so I don't have a collection of parts to work with (though, if anyone wants to send some my way...)

As a heavy CAD user, I figured I'd probably model up my whole cab in CAD anyway before I even bought the first bit of wood, so a library of 3D parts would be very helpful.

Ben

ripzone

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2006, 02:28:01 pm
  • Pac-Mini coming soon...
    • RiP's M.A.M.E. Arcade Cabinet
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2003, 09:44:55 am »
anyone has a tutorial to learn AutoCad???

I want to help!

Thanks!

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2003, 09:50:44 am »
Wow, Oscar you've already got a lot of this stuff done.  Any idea when you will make these files available?  My Happ order will be arriving at the end of this week or early next week and I plan to start building my first cabinet shortly after that.  It would be really helpful if I could draft it first.  Thanks for all the work you've done.

Best Kid iPad Apps

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2003, 12:54:02 pm »
I'll post a few preliminary drawings later this evening.  I'm a real butcher in a drawing, so they need to be cleaned up before I make them available!  :)

I am just putting the finishing touches on a Happ top-fire Super today and I will have that ready later tonight as well.  Now that I have this one done, the rest of the Happ sticks will be a piece of cake, I just have to change the shafts and actuators.

ripzone - AutoCAD has a pretty good built-in help system, similar to the Adobe products.  That's how I learned to do pretty much everything.  I'm sure there are plenty of online tutorials for AutoCAD, too, I've just never looked for them.

medley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2003, 05:16:01 pm »
yes, i agree that 3d models are all that is need, but i'm pretty sure that they wouldn't help anyone who wants to use them in illustrator or other non 3d programs. If there even is anyone. Is there?
oscar, why haven't you made some of this stuff available already?

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2003, 09:45:29 pm »
oscar, why haven't you made some of this stuff available already?

Because I had to clean up the drawings first, they were a mess!  :)

Here are some draft copies for those who want them.  I will still be working on these adding more detail, but they will work for now to help layout a control panel.  Until I put together a proper page for the library, you can grab them from here (AutoCAD .dwg format):

Happ horizontal button
Happ Super joystick
Happ TopFire Super joystick
Happ 3" hi-lip trackball

medley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2003, 09:08:46 pm »
very nice.

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2003, 10:16:47 pm »
I have set up a page at www.oscarcontrols.com/library for the parts that are available for download in AutoCAD .dwg format.

I have made a couple of updates, too:

• Happ horizontal pushbutton (added threads for smarta$$ Jakobud  ;D, and also added the m'switch holder).
  • New - Suzo 500 joystick
  • New - Happ 3" trackball mounting plate (new style)
If anyone has part drawings they would like to share, please feel free to email or PM me!   :D

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2003, 10:26:59 pm »
hehe, now all your products....

The parts should all be orientated the same way if it is a library.

Man, I don't understand 3D in autocad.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2003, 10:32:15 pm by SirPoonga »

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2003, 10:37:52 pm »

The screenshots are oriented so the parts show off some of their more notable features; ie, lock pawls on the Suzo 500, fire button and bottom m'switch for the Top Fire, distinctive bat handle of the Super, and so on...

I also oriented the parts so the shading looks best on each part.  Why, is it distracting?

What version of AutoCAD are you using (just curious)?

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2003, 11:04:53 pm »

The screenshots are oriented so the parts show off some of their more notable features; ie, lock pawls on the Suzo 500, fire button and bottom m'switch for the Top Fire, distinctive bat handle of the Super, and so on...

I also oriented the parts so the shading looks best on each part.  Why, is it distracting?

What version of AutoCAD are you using (just curious)?

No, I don't mean the 3D view, I mean the 2D view, I couldn;t just ciopy and paste parts, I have to rotate, which I have no clue how to do :(

Ben

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2003, 10:04:11 am »
Would it be possible to save them as .dxf files? I tried to import the .dwg files in to my CAD program and it was a no go...

Ben

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2003, 06:05:56 pm »
Are there any particular parts you need done? It's been a while, but I used to be pretty good in AutoCAD.

medley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2003, 06:57:12 pm »
.dfx files are slightly larger. but not too much. that might be a good consideration, .dxf files are more compatable with other programs.

oscar, do you know about the viewres and facetres command? if you computer is fast enough, it makes circles look more round.
wow, threads and all on the pushbutton now. I made real threads on a 3d model of a screw once. but i think i might have used 3dstudio for it. i'm not sure, all i can remember is that it was a pain in the --I'm attempting to get by the auto-censor and should be beaten after I re-read the rules--.

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2003, 08:08:28 pm »
I have updated the page with a few new parts:

Betson-Imperial 3" Trackball
Atari lighted start button
Wico leaf pushbutton (long style)
Oscar Model 3

www.oscarcontrols.com/library

Each part is available for download in either .dwg or .dxf format.

medley - Yes, I am aware of those commands.  Since those settings are saved in the drawing I keep them low because I don't know everyone's computer capacity.  I figured that anyone who downloads the files can bump up those settings if they see fit.  The threads are "fake" in that they aren't spiraled, just stacked rings.  You're right, real threads can be a pain to make but there are lsp's that make it easier.  I didn't see the need for actual threads since they also make the file size unnecessarily large.  I did attempt to make the major and minor diameters correct on my fake threads, though.   :)

The next parts I plan to add to the library are: Wico leafswitch joystick, Happ Competition joystick, Wico pushbutton leafswitch holder, & OSCAR Pro spinner.

If anyone would like to do some Wico trackballs, 3" or 2 1/4", that would be great.  I don't have either of those available to measure.

Sir P - Sounds like you need to start using the Help feature...  ;)

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2003, 08:16:42 pm »
I have set up a page at www.oscarcontrols.com/library for the parts that are available for download in AutoCAD .dwg format.

• Happ horizontal pushbutton (added threads for smarta$$ Jakobud  ;D, and also added the m'switch holder).
I am touched Oscar.  I was sorta being sarcastic with the thread remark.  Seriously, those models look very good.  I'm impressed.  I have done a lot of Autocad and I know that the 3d aspect of acad is very limiting so I am impressed with all those parts you made.

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2003, 08:43:55 pm »
I am touched Oscar.  I was sorta being sarcastic with the thread remark.  Seriously, those models look very good.  I'm impressed.  I have done a lot of Autocad and I know that the 3d aspect of acad is very limiting so I am impressed with all those parts you made.

Yeah, I know you were just kidding around about the threads.  I wanted to add them anyway, but I figured I would blame you for it.  ;)

I think AutoCAD's 3D features are getting better with every release.  I'm using 2002 now, and it seems SO much better than previous versions, say like r14.  It's either that or I'm getting better at it, but I doubt that...

medley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2003, 11:00:28 pm »
I actually prefer to model parts in Autocad as apposed to 3dStudio or maya. I find it easier, But that might be because I actually know how to use Autocad.
I'm using 2004 right now, but I don't use it enough to notice the differences in it from the other versions.
It seems every other version released is when there are major changes.
example: r13, r2002, r2004
« Last Edit: March 21, 2003, 11:03:34 pm by medley »

Ben

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2003, 12:25:32 pm »
Hrm, I'm still having trouble with the DXF files. I was sure those would import to Pro/E...

I opened them up with Autodesk Voloview, so I could see that the models were fine, just not importing correctly for me. I found a copy of Autocad 2002 at work, so I'll have to see if I can figure out what's going on.

Ben

Ben

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2003, 12:36:55 pm »
After a little digging at the PTC website, it's a problem on my end totally. Pro/E only likes 2D DWG and DXF files, not 3D. I'll have to try and use that copy of Autocad 2002 to convert them.

Thanks for all of the work on this, Oscar!

Ben