Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hagstrom vs I-Pac  (Read 2009 times)

retrac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2003, 12:48:12 pm
Hagstrom vs I-Pac
« on: April 05, 2002, 09:12:54 am »
Now before you jump, yes I have read some of the past posts on the subject, but none really answer my questions.  I have been lurking a while with no real insight gained.

Now most replies to this subject have been on the order of their both good/ i have this it rocks/...  not really meaningful answers.

a couple questions I have:
- is the usb version better than the keyboard din version?
- how easy are they to load new keystrokes into?
- does one have extra features over the other?
- in doing a joy/TB/spinner panel does one offer a better setup than the other (ie less modules to use)?
- if the keystroke checking is equal, what is with the price difference?
- any other real issues I missed?

Thanks guys
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

pyrobrit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2002, 10:03:23 am
  • Working on armchair CPs
Re: Hagstrom vs I-Pac
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2002, 03:50:42 am »
I bough the IPAC after reading the reviews on this sight and also because it was in the UK where I live.  I believe in supporting the local economy first.

You don't mention which Hagstrom you would like a comparison with.

I know that one of the higher model hagstroms has the ability to handle optical input which is only available for the I-PAC by purchasing the Opti-Pac. One good point is that the Opti-Pac is a standalong product and will work on its own without the need of an I-Pac.

Would the price of an Otpi-Pac and I-Pac together equal the cost of a hagstrom top level board or would you require more modules with the hagstrom to get it going?

Being lazy, I don't expect to have to recode the interface of my I-pac so I can't tell you how easy it is.  I'm just going to use it for Mame.

One thing I have noticed is the extra bits you may have to buy to link the buttons / joysticks to your hagstrom.  You can always make your own but hte hagstrom breakout board in my opinion would be a requirement for building a control panel.

At least with an I-Pac all the breakout connections are on the same board so no extra parts required.

Regards

Nick.W
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Sasquatch!

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2010, 04:11:47 pm
  • Toot-Toot!
    • Arcade Paradise
Re: Hagstrom vs I-Pac
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2002, 09:34:20 am »
I don't have any experience with the IPAC, but I can answer stuff about the Hagstrom KE72-T.

- is the usb version better than the keyboard din version?

I prefer keyboard DIN, because I know that there will never be any kind of compatibility problems.